Shello

Shello's Intentional Challenge

4 hours ago, Terah said:

lewd

/l(j)uːd/

adjective

crude and offensive in a sexual way.

Now I'm confused :confused:

NFing, pronounced "Enn-Effing"; where "Effing" is a euphemism for, um, marital relations.  ^_^

Though I don't think of "lewd" as being offensive.  It's more like "bawdy" or "ribald" in modern usage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Though I don't think of "lewd" as being offensive.  It's more like "bawdy" or "ribald" in modern usage.

There you go again with your fancy words :D

ribald

/ˈrɪb(ə)ld,ˈrʌɪbɔːld/

adjective

referring to sexual matters in an amusingly rude or irreverent way.

bawdy

/ˈbɔːdi/

adjective

dealing with sexual matters in a comical way; humorously indecent.

6 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

NFing, pronounced "Enn-Effing"; where "Effing" is a euphemism for, um, marital relations.  ^_^

It makes a lot more sense now, thanks :D:D:D

• Like 1

Week 1 Day 4

Has it really been almost a week since I updated?  That was not intentional.  Thursday was a decent day.  It started with a Poptart.  I packed some fruit to go with my lunch to help stave off the craving for sweets.  It only worked temporarily and I just had that other M&M cookie later.  I don't regret it at all.  When I got from work, I had an undisclosed number of cookies.. The jury is still out whether I regret them or not.... No wait, I don't regret it.  But I do regret my supper.  Since I snacked so much I should have had a smaller supper but I went ahead with the last of the thanksgiving green beans, chicken bacon potato hotdish, and some garlic bread. 

I no longer remember what I did in the evening but I do remember my realization about trying to do too much.  It occurred to me that aside from the usual daily tasks that need to get done that I am happier if I only plan a single activity in the evenings instead of juggling mutliple tasks.  This may not be news to other people but it kinda blew my mind. 

I did go to the gym planning on spending 30 minutes on the elliptical.  All the equipment at the gym have TVs attached.  While searching the stations I landed on some ESPN documentary.  I never watch ESPN and don't care that much about sports.  But I was hooked on this documenary and couldn't leave before finding out how it ended.  I ended spending an hour on the elliptical and still hadn't gotten to the end of the show.  I had to go home and google the outcome.  

Week 1 Days 5-7

Most of the weekend is a bit of a blur by now.  I didn't log any food but I can tell you that the quality was not great.  I did a fair bit of grazing. 

I've been struggling with workouts and I think I would really benefit from a trainer or some type of class to push my intensity level back up to where it should be.  I had asked at the gym the night before about their crossfit type class.  I was told to stop in Friday.  Naturally, the 'sale' they had ended that night at the guy who could sign my up was done working at 8.  To sign up for the class, it's $70/mo for unlimited classes but you have to sign up for 12 months (on top of what I already pay).  That just seems excessive since technically I could do this on my own.  So then I ran by the new Planet Fitness that opened near me recently.  They also had a sale that ended that night.  Their membership was $20/month - the same I'm already paying at the other gym.  They do have access to trainers without spending extra money but it sounded like just to answer questions, not necessarily for a trainer led workout.  They do have some classes but nothing similar to crossfit.  The also have no barbells.  Well, they said they do but really they're just smith machines.  The other gym has barbells where I can at least do some squats but they have a rule against deadlifts.  By the end of the evening I decided neither of these options were really what I was looking for and I didn't want to be rushed into a decision.  For now, I'm just leaving everything as is. 

Sunday we got a bunch of snow.  It was marvelous.  It was that really wet, heavy, heart attack snow.  I shoveled half the driveway in the morning, most of the deck in the afternoon, and then Qbert and I finished off the driveway later on.  Only the last excusion was counted by my Fitbit but what does it know about shoveling anyway?  I did manage over 10,000 steps both Saturday and Sunday.  Needless to say, I was busy doing things.  I still felt guilty for not being 'productive'.  

Week 2 Day 2

Monday was, a Monday.  I had to drop Dottie off in the morning for her spaying appointment.  That took longer than expected and it was practically a workout since the waiting room was tiny and it was packed with other pets awaiting their fate that Dottie wanted to play with.   I ended up eating both Poptarts in the package on my way to work but I managed to end the day close to my target.  There was a troop meeting so between running around to pick up a cone of shame for Dottie and pick her up before scouts, my evening was full enough.  

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Shello said:

I've been struggling with workouts and I think I would really benefit from a trainer or some type of class to push my intensity level back up to where it should be.  I had asked at the gym the night before about their crossfit type class.  I was told to stop in Friday.  Naturally, the 'sale' they had ended that night at the guy who could sign my up was done working at 8.  To sign up for the class, it's $70/mo for unlimited classes but you have to sign up for 12 months (on top of what I already pay).  That just seems excessive since technically I could do this on my own.

I will say that $70 / mo, depending on how much you pay monthly already, is probably not that expensive. Crossfit is SO EXPENSIVE, which drives me crazy, mainly because I want to do it, but can't justify paying that much for something I can't even do all the time. FWIW, at the gym I go to in KY, it's $60 for unlimited Crossfit on top of $60 a month. 

What type of class or intensity level are you looking for? Have you looked into your local YMCA? I stalked you and it looks like your local Y is part of a group (where you could use any of them) and they have some really neat classes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shello said:

they have a rule against deadlifts

Wut. I do not understand..... Non-olympic places don't like you dropping the weights, but....????

What about working with a trainer on a sliding schedule. Like, meet with them every week for a bit, then once you have some circuits designed and are comfortable with the moves and stuff, meet with them less frequently for adjusting your workout and staying motivated?

I will say that $70 / mo, depending on how much you pay monthly already, is probably not that expensive. Crossfit is SO EXPENSIVE, which drives me crazy, mainly because I want to do it, but can't justify paying that much for something I can't even do all the time. FWIW, at the gym I go to in KY, it's $60 for unlimited Crossfit on top of $60 a month. 

What type of class or intensity level are you looking for? Have you looked into your local YMCA? I stalked you and it looks like your local Y is part of a group (where you could use any of them) and they have some really neat classes. 

I'm not disputing that the price isn't reasonable for the class, more that it might be reasonable for my finances-particularly the 12 month commitment. Transitioning to a single income (albeit with 2 jobs) makes me more deliberate with my financial commitments.
And regular classes wouldn't quite capture what I'm after. You can blend into the crowd and they promote 'doing your best'. But a trainer or something smaller like a CrossFit class sparks my competitive nature and my unwillingness to back down from a challenge. That's really what I'm after.

Wut. I do not understand..... Non-olympic places don't like you dropping the weights, but....????

What about working with a trainer on a sliding schedule. Like, meet with them every week for a bit, then once you have some circuits designed and are comfortable with the moves and stuff, meet with them less frequently for adjusting your workout and staying motivated?

Ikr? They wouldn't want to intimidate other gym goers by someone trying too hard. They do have a 'deadlift machine' but I have so far refused to use it.

I do have some pre-planned workouts that I got from a trainer a couple years ago. Maybe I just need to dig those up and give them a go again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Shello said:

I'm not disputing that the price isn't reasonable for the class, more that it might be reasonable for my finances-particularly the 12 month commitment. Transitioning to a single income (albeit with 2 jobs) makes me more deliberate with my financial commitments.

Totally understand this! I'm definitely not all about spending that money in a 2 income household. Although - playing devil's advocate $70 / mo is probably less than you would spend with a personal trainer, depending on how many sessions you sign up for. 

3 minutes ago, Shello said:

And regular classes wouldn't quite capture what I'm after. You can blend into the crowd and they promote 'doing your best'. But a trainer or something smaller like a CrossFit class sparks my competitive nature and my unwillingness to back down from a challenge. That's really what I'm after.

Got it - kind of. I know some of the classes I regularly do have different options based on what intensity you want to do. So I get that it is definitely dependent on you taking the initiative to perform at that higher intensity, however so is doing workouts on your own. If you can do it on your own, I used to do online group training that was plenty intense and was $30 a month (for I believe 3 workouts a week). It was OCR focused, so it was always something different too. 

• Like 2

On 12/4/2018 at 7:04 PM, Shello said:

they have a rule against deadlifts

What?! Why? 

On 12/4/2018 at 10:24 PM, Shello said:

Ikr? They wouldn't want to intimidate other gym goers by someone trying too hard. They do have a 'deadlift machine' but I have so far refused to use it.

Never mind, they're just weird... 

On 12/4/2018 at 7:18 PM, Sylvaa said:

Crossfit is SO EXPENSIVE

Why? From what I understand it's just running around and lifting weights, right? 

Aren't there any other classes you can try? Having to pay for classes on top of your membership fee is weird. Here in the Netherlands a gym membership is around 30/35 euro's and that includes unlimited access to classes (never saw a crossfit class here though). So you should just move here, everyone speaks English, so you would fit in perfectly :)

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 3:35 PM, Sylvaa said:

Totally understand this! I'm definitely not all about spending that money in a 2 income household. Although - playing devil's advocate $70 / mo is probably less than you would spend with a personal trainer, depending on how many sessions you sign up for. 

Got it - kind of. I know some of the classes I regularly do have different options based on what intensity you want to do. So I get that it is definitely dependent on you taking the initiative to perform at that higher intensity, however so is doing workouts on your own. If you can do it on your own, I used to do online group training that was plenty intense and was $30 a month (for I believe 3 workouts a week). It was OCR focused, so it was always something different too. 

I will most likely not spend money on a trainer either.  There is a gym that a lot of work friends go to.  It has the type of class I am looking for (functional fitness, small classes, trainer led) and you don't need a membership. It's just a $10 drop in fee.  I couldn't do it regularly but even once a week would only be $40 a month and I wouldn't be committed.  

3 hours ago, Terah said:

What?! Why? 

Never mind, they're just weird... 

Why? From what I understand it's just running around and lifting weights, right? 

Aren't there any other classes you can try? Having to pay for classes on top of your membership fee is weird. Here in the Netherlands a gym membership is around 30/35 euro's and that includes unlimited access to classes (never saw a crossfit class here though). So you should just move here, everyone speaks English, so you would fit in perfectly :)

I think most gyms require additional or specialized training and then the class sized are smaller.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Shello said:
4 hours ago, Terah said:

I think most gyms require additional or specialized training and then the class sized are smaller.

It's a racket. Most Crossfit gyms use specific (expensive) equipment *cough Rogue cough* and they have to make sure they have enough for all of the people in the class. Also the certification to teach the classes is expensive, and there is a fee to actually be registered as a Crossfit gym. It IS an expensive start up and probably expensive to keep up to date. But at the same time, I feel like it'd probably be a larger money-maker if they decreased the price. Then again, people pay it, so what do I know.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I can't figure out why Crossfit is so expensive either. I'm seriously considering joining a crossfit for part of the winter because of the support and community that I haven't been getting, but ouch! My climbing gym is $70/mo and has a small weight room upstairs with barbells, bumper plates, rings, everything. For now I'm doing that self-guided with a little advice here and there. *shrug*

• Like 1

Time for an update....

Basically I've been doing better at choosing to work out. I counted shoveling as a workout. I shoveled three times in a day.  I've been to the gym a couple times.  This morning I made it to a boot camp class at the drop in gym.  The boot camp class is all people from work as part of the healthy living program I was in.  It was exactly what I was looking for.  It was a small closee with a good workout. It's trainer led and he doesn't let you slide but will also scale appropriately. 

I haven't had the same success with food.  Nothing has been too over the top but quality is definitely not great.  

I haven't been terribly productive but I haven't been particularly lazy or been procrastinating too much.  I am mostly conscious of how busy I am without doing extra things and just not feeling guilty about not doing more.  This feels like progress. 

• Like 6

You’re naturally super competitive and you probably dislike your coworkers just enough to want to beat them down anyway. It sounds like a great environment for you to succeed in.

You get me.

• Like 1

Sounds like maybe we really need another Doodlie PVP.  I have been hesitant to start one because I am such a new member, but if no one else is up to it I will try to pull something together for next challenge

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Sounds like maybe we really need another Doodlie PVP.  I have been hesitant to start one because I am such a new member, but if no one else is up to it I will try to pull something together for next challenge

Go for it! 

Most Doodlies like it when it's just the existing doodlies that participate, so be sure to put that in the intro. But other than that: go wild :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shello said:

The boot camp class is all people from work as part of the healthy living program I was in.  It was exactly what I was looking for.  It was a small closee with a good workout. It's trainer led and he doesn't let you slide but will also scale appropriately

That sounds really great! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I say go for it too.  It'll be the beginning of the year too.  A Doodlie PVP is great way to start the year. 

11 hours ago, Terah said:

That sounds really great! 

It was.  I'm going to try and make it routine to hit the class every Saturday. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Terah said:

Go for it! 

Most Doodlies like it when it's just the existing doodlies that participate, so be sure to put that in the intro. But other than that: go wild :D

10 hours ago, Shello said:

I say go for it too.  It'll be the beginning of the year too.  A Doodlie PVP is great way to start the year. 

It's on, then :)   I will think of some ideas on what to do for it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Monday - I have no idea what week it is

My appetite has been weird for a few days.  I get hungry, am choosing healthier snacks but then 3 bites into I start to feel a bit queasy.  I stop and then 20 minutes later I'm hungry.  But not hungry enough to do anything about it.The good news is that IF is back on... even though I actually prepared a healthy breakfast instead of grabbing Poptarts.  I weighed Monday for the first time in 2 weeks and was down 5 pounds.  I had no clue.  I didn't feel like I was making an progress.   

No workout Monday since it was committee meeting for the troop.  Work was crazy busy.  I had 6 meetings and no chance to get any actual work done during the bits when I wasn't in a meeting.  And there is So Much To Do.  I put off a few things for teaching so I ended up *Having* to do some of them after scouts.  I think there will be a lot of that this week.  The final is this week so there is a lot of last minute grading and what not... with last minute Christmas stuff to finish.  This was precisely the things I wanted to avoid.  But then I never considered any means of being proactive.       

• Like 7

Tuesday

My appetite is still wonky.  I fasted until lunch and went out with my boss and coworkers for our holiday lunch.  I ordered a couple of chicken enchiladas and stopped halfway through.  Some unknown coworker has been leaving mini peanut butter cups on my desk.  I had 1 after lunch and then just finished the enchiladas for supper.  

I did go to the local gym.  I just hopped on the elliptical for 30 minutes or so.  But some random woman came up to me and started asking me about my workout.  I figured she was a trainer and not a weirdo.  We talked about why I haven't been lifting or doing anything other than cardio at the gym.  She offered me a free training session.  I was very transparent with her and told her I wasn't interested in paying for any session packages.  She was still willing to set up a training session so we scheduled one for next week.  

I had a number of last minute things to get done so it sucked that I was forced into doing them.  But sometimes that's the only way for me to choose to do those tasks.  I am at least glad I made the gym a priority.

Wednesday

Appetite still wonky.  I wasn't exactly hungry in the morning so I had planned to just keep fasting until lunch.  And I was going out for supper so I wanted to avoid overeating early in the day to not ruin dinner.  But I started to feel a bit shaky in the morning when I went off to a meeting.  I figured I better eat something.  I snuck out of the meeting (it was a 3 hour session) and grabbed the overnight oats I brought in earlier in the week.  I couldn't finish all of it but enough to level me out so I could get back to the meeting.  I had my usual for lunch but couldn't quite finish all of it.  Which was fine given my dinner date, and an early one at that.  We went out to that place with the Poutine burger.  Any excuse to have another one of those burgers is fine by me.  It was amazing as usual.  It also comes with fries, to which I add gravy, but I couldn't finish those either.   No workout due to my evening plans. 

• Like 6

Did I miss something? Dinner date?

Do you think the low appetite is Intuitive Eating paying off?

Lol. I may have left out a few details. But yes, lovely dinner date. I doubt the appetite issues are due to IE. I'm not trying that hard. It probably has more to do with the dinner date...

• Like 3