The Return of the Maegs

I've been MIA for a while, trying to get my head together among other things. The way I was doing goals wasn't working for me, and was just giving me something to beat myself up over, but I want to be back here. And then Tank posted in the Facebook group about the upcoming challenge and that was the push I needed to get myself back here. I still need to figure out how I'll structure things, so watch this space for updates! :) 

Previous challenge (Feb/March)

tenor.gif

im-back-gif-25.gif

Iagp.gif

• Like 6
On 12/1/2018 at 9:06 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Where you go?

That is a good question - or more accurately, where did the time go? 

I haven't been super busy this week (relatively, anyway) but it feels like I've still had no time. Monday night I had a yoga class, Tuesday a hair cut, Wednesday I went out for dinner with my parents & brother for my birthday, and then we picked me up a Christmas tree since they drove into the city. Thursday I had nothing on, I think, and the same Friday night. But at the same time I've been getting to bed super late and also not getting as much done as I'd like to. I think the problem is that we had the "fall back" time change, and now it gets dark at like 4-4:30, well before I get home, so I have no sense of time passing in the evenings. I keep doing things like thinking "Oh, I should go to bed soon" and then suddenly it's 2 hours later. I've set up my Fitbit to vibrate at a few different times to remind me to get ready for bed soon/start getting ready for bed/get my ass to bed, but now I have to start doing other things early enough to make that happen.. 

l-42890-hello-darkness-my-old-friend-why

But I did get some things done this week. Besides the stuff I mentioned above, on Friday I went to my work Christmas thing - this year we went skating at the old Maple Leaf Gardens (now Ryerson University's arena), sacred ground for Canadian hockey. I also got my Christmas tree set up on Friday, went skating on Saturday night at a rink by the harbourfront in Toronto, and did a speech at Toastmasters on Sunday!

• Like 5
4 hours ago, maegs said:

I think the problem is that we had the "fall back" time change, and now it gets dark at like 4-4:30, well before I get home, so I have no sense of time passing in the evenings.

Yeah, i have this problem too. It's already dark before I even get out of work, let alone get home in the evening and it just messes with my perception of time. December is such a dark month. It's always difficult to fill it with the things you want to get done. 

• Like 1

How? is it? 11:30??? I swear I got home like 2 hours ago? But I definitely got home around 7, not 9:30? 

Things that have happened since my last challenge in like February:

• Got plantar fasciitis -y 
  • Rugby season!

• Got a super sore back from Accutane
  • Finished the Accutane and my sore feet and sore back went away
  • Saw Come From Away (if you get a chance to see this it's really good)
  • Was in my bestie's wedding (we've been friends for 25-odd years, since grade 1)
  • Got a bunch of time up north on the boat

40482567_10160969339775515_9463015114434 

• My second-oldest friend (since grade 4) had her first baby - she's my first close friend to have a kid!
  • Saw The Comedy of Errors and Julius Caesar
  • Saw The Tempest (the special effects were so well done)
  • Did a few more Toastmasters speeches (in my manual of 10 speeches, I have #s 6, 9, and 10 to do)
  • Started physio for my jacked up right foot/big toe - currently not allowed to do anything that bends my foot/toe too far e.g. running, push ups, planks, lunges, standing on my toes, wearing high heels (wearing pointy toe flats is also out), and so on
  • Moved to a condo (renting, not owing, Toronto real estate is nutso) - but I have laundry!!! And enough space for a Christmas tree!!!
  • Saw LeVar Burton Reads live!

(the picture in the linked tweet is actually a video but I guess it doesn't want to embed properly)

• Started doing yoga almost-daily. I was doing a weekly class and then the last month-ish did Yoga with Adriene's 30 Days of Yoga. I missed 3 days of the 30, but for reasons I'm ok with (moving/way too tired/too late) - and there were days that I tried and got half way through a video and then called it quits, but I'm counting those because I tried. So there. And I want to keep doing it almost-daily, I think it's good for my head as well as my body

That's all the good stuff. And while I want to leave it like that, I feel like it's also good to acknowledge/share the not-good things too. There was nothing super bad that happened, just my brain being a POS sometimes. The two big things are 1. I weighed myself for the first time in September since March and I'd gained 20lb. Also gained a lot of inches, and now almost all of my nice work pants and several of my skirts don't fit at all. 2. After the wedding I was in in September I also crashed hard from the emotional high and had a good week or so of moping about how I'm going to die alone, etc. (context: the last relationship I had was in high school, over 10 years ago. In fact, the last non-crappy date I had was in high school, with the person who my last relationship was with. So at this point I feel like I'm not exaggerating about dying alone).

And those two things feed off each other to some extent, so that's super fun. 

That was a huge downer so here, have some kittens

cutest-cat-gifs-kitten-heads.gif

tenor.gif

tumblr_n2q3s7Gfoi1rudcwro1_500.gif

ETA: Joke's on me, now it's quarter to one! 

tenor.gif?itemid=5138232

• Like 6
On 12/4/2018 at 12:42 AM, maegs said:

I weighed myself for the first time in September since March and I'd gained 20lb. Also gained a lot of inches, and now almost all of my nice work pants and several of my skirts don't fit at all.

I totally feel you on this one, I definitely don't fit any of my nice clothes any more, and even all my favourite tshirts are too tight for comfort and now I basically just live in 1 pair of jeans, a few tshirts and 3 pairs of sweatpants. I did pick up a few nice things, for an xmas party and also just to have, but it took me a long time before I was ready to go shopping for things that fit the 'now' me...

On 12/4/2018 at 3:21 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Holy crap. That’s a Hell of an update.

Human pyramid rugby doesn’t look very safe.

Human pyramid rugby is very safe, you can't hit until they're back on the ground! :D

Also I'm on the red team and the girl we're lifting in that picture weighs like 130lb so we throw her at the other team sometimes. You know, as you do :D 

• Like 4
On 12/4/2018 at 9:57 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sorry about the not so good stuff. I gained a lot of weight too, I had to buy a new wardrobe. 

16 hours ago, obax said:

I totally feel you on this one, I definitely don't fit any of my nice clothes any more, and even all my favourite tshirts are too tight for comfort and now I basically just live in 1 pair of jeans, a few tshirts and 3 pairs of sweatpants. I did pick up a few nice things, for an xmas party and also just to have, but it took me a long time before I was ready to go shopping for things that fit the 'now' me...

It honestly does help to hear that I'm not the only one struggling with this stuff. Thanks guys

• Like 1
On 12/10/2018 at 6:15 AM, jonfirestar said:

At only 130lbs she wouldn't do much damage... :P 

On 12/10/2018 at 6:26 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Depends on the throwers' skill to build up momentum before impact.

130lb means she's a bony one too, all elbows sticking out. Get someone at the right angle with one of them...  :P 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This month has flown by! Granted, I've been busy getting ready for Christmas as well as things like getting new furniture (new sofa, new kitchen table + chairs, and hacking together an Ikea kitchen cabinet into a not-drilled-into-the-wall rental-friendly version). I've also been trying to get through a couple of big books from the library (The Outsider by Stephen King and Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi - super Christmas-y :D ). I've been working on learning to knit with two colours - I made a mini-hat:

and right now I'm working on practice project number 2. Between the mini-hat and my current random piece of knitting I did a couple dishcloths so that I could learn to knit left-handed (continental). It's way quicker using two colours to have one in each hand instead of using your usual hand and picking up and dropping the colour every few stitches. Purl stitch in continental is insane, so I think I'll reserve knitting that way for projects that are mostly knit stitch, but it's definitely faster for colorwork. 

I was home (parents' place) this weekend to go to Ikea (again) and visit friends. We brought my Ikea haul back to my apartment this afternoon and assembled it. Tomorrow I have a 1/2 day of work, then it's home again for a couple days, then 2 days of work, then I took some time off so I have a mini-holiday from Saturday-Wednesday to relax. I'm looking forward to vegging out for a bit! 

• Like 6