• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

snowkc

Winter Strong

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone! 

 

I'm new to the Warriors Group!  I'm running Stronglifts 5x5 currently. I'm almost a month in and really excited about getting strong!  

 

Big Picture Goal

I want to achieve health and balance (or continue to always work towards health and balance). I want to be my best self for the people and things that matter to me.

More specifically, I want to be a healthy weight, which means losing about 35 pounds.  But I also want to be strong at that weight and love myself for it. 

 

Challenge Goals:

1. Stronglifts three times per week.

2. Hike/long walk or run two times per week.

3. Two meatless days per week.

4. No more than four alcoholic drinks per week.

5. At least 80 grams of protein (including meatless days--more on meat days).

 

The hike/walk/run and the protein goals will be my stretch goals for this challenge. I'm doing the meatless days for personal reasons, but I do need to make sure my protein intake doesn't suffer too much. But I did learn how to make protein hot chocolate, so that may solve that problem.  

 

Current Lifts:

Squat (5x5): 95lbs.

Bench (5x5): 65 lbs.

Row (5x5): 85 lbs.

Overhead Press (5x5): 65 lbs.

Deadlift (1x5): 130 lbs.

 

I'm still adding weight pretty steadily, so I'm excited to see where my lifts are at the end of the challenge!

 

Muse for this challenge: Toph. What a badass.

 

giphy.gif

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Warrior! Welcome!

 

tumblr_inline_nyp7b25PgQ1tirgka_500.gif

 

7 hours ago, snowkc said:

Big Picture Goal

I want to achieve health and balance (or continue to always work towards health and balance). I want to be my best self for the people and things that matter to me.

More specifically, I want to be a healthy weight, which means losing about 35 pounds.  But I also want to be strong at that weight and love myself for it. 

Good goal! And good recognizing it as a big goal. Losing lots of weight shouldn't be a single challenge event.

 

Quote

Challenge Goals:

1. Stronglifts three times per week.

2. Hike/long walk or run two times per week.

3. Two meatless days per week.

4. No more than four alcoholic drinks per week.

5. At least 80 grams of protein (including meatless days--more on meat days).

 

The hike/walk/run and the protein goals will be my stretch goals for this challenge. I'm doing the meatless days for personal reasons, but I do need to make sure my protein intake doesn't suffer too much. But I did learn how to make protein hot chocolate, so that may solve that problem.  

More good goals. 5 days of exercise is a solid number. Do you have a diet plan or are you winging it? 

Iroh Eating GIF - Iroh Eating AvatarTheLastAirbender GIFs
 
 
Please share recipe for protein hot chocolate. KTHX.
Sokka So Good GIF - Sokka SoGood LoveIt GIFs
 
Quote

Current Lifts:

Squat (5x5): 95lbs.

Bench (5x5): 65 lbs.

Row (5x5): 85 lbs.

Overhead Press (5x5): 65 lbs.

Deadlift (1x5): 130 lbs.

 

I'm still adding weight pretty steadily, so I'm excited to see where my lifts are at the end of the challenge!

I love seeing newbie gains. It's so heartening.

Sparkly Eyes - Avatar: The Last Airbender GIF - AvatarTheLastAirbender SparklyEyes Aang GIFs
 
Quote

Muse for this challenge: Toph. What a badass.

 

giphy.gif

 

Toph is amazing.
Toph Smug GIF - Toph Smug AvatarTheLastAirbender GIFs
 
Glad you decided to come hang out in our humble little abode and look forward to seeing all the amazing things you do!
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome! You're not the only new warrior :)

Starting lifting is the most exciting time, when all the weights are going up. Enjoy! Also, your diet goals sound totally sensible and worthwhile. Good luck!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooooooo Stronglifts! Fun! Welcome and enjoy! Hot chocolate recipe please! And if there's anything specific you need from us in the support department, please don't hesitate to ask.

 

giphy.gif

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the very warm welcome!!  And @Grumble for all the Avatar gifs. Makes me happy :)  

 

  1. First! Warm protein drinks! It's not so much a recipe as it is finally figuring out how to make it so it's not clumpy and actually drinkable.  When it's cold out, I really hate drinking cold things like shakes/smoothies, so this helps me a lot with the winter protein intake.

    For the hot chocolate, I do a scoop of chocolate protein powder and mix it with some cold water--enough so you can stir it up and get the protein mostly dissolved (maybe a quarter cup?).  From there, add warm/hot water slowly, while stirring. I usually put a little in, stir a bunch, put a little more in, stir a bunch, etc.  By the time the mug is full, it should be a nice, drinkable texture. For the hot chocolate, I also like to add a little bit of vanilla extract. It tastes a little more like a comfort hot cocoa drink than a warm protein shake.  It does the job! 

    I also sometimes use protein powder as a sort of coffee creamer. (Drinking vanilla protein in coffee right now.)  This one I think is more of an acquired taste, and depends a lot on the protein powder flavor and the coffee (my office coffee is not great, so the drink came out kind of meh, but good enough).  I follow the same process as above (start with a scoop of protein and cold water), then slowly add coffee instead of warm/hot water. 
     
  2. Second! I am loving the newbie gains. I actually did Stronglifts once before a couple of years ago and stopped because reasons that don't matter. So I'm excited to be back at it. And it is so satisfying to see the numbers go up so quickly!  Also, I think I must have some muscle memory and/or didn't lose all my strength because I am zooming past stalls that I had the first time I did Stronglifts (e.g. I had to deload before I got 65 lbs. on the overhead press, but I got that on Sunday no problem).  Feelsgoodman.  It is starting to get tougher though. I need to leave a little more time for the workouts now for better warmup and more rest between sets.
     
  3. Third! Diet.  tl;dr: I'm tracking my food, but mostly to make sure I eat enough protein. 

    I've been doing the weight fight a long time. ...  probably 15 years? Over the years, I've done some stupid things, but also some really good things.  I have a decent knowledge base on nutrition but now I'm trying to find something that works for my life now without taking up so much mental energy.  I've had success with Paleo in the past, but it's a lot of meat, and I'm also cool with beans and healthy grains (I don't have celiac or any intolerance).  In the last year or so, I've been eating a lot less meat, and trying to find/support ranches with practices that I can get behind.  I'm finding that this really works for me for a couple of reasons: (1) Having a reason outside myself (treatment of animals and environmental reasons) makes me so much more likely to stick to my decisions; and (2) I eat a lot more vegetables (and ALL THE FIBER) when I don't eat meat, pretty much effortlessly.  With this, and making sure alcohol intake doesn't creep up, I've maintained my weight all year, which really is a first for me. I've always bounced around a lot within a year.  So, I'm going to continue this for now (and, let's be real, probably overdo it during December), but probably tighten things up early next year.

    So, right now, I'm tracking with my calories set at maintenance. I'm trying to make sure to get enough protein, especially on meatless days. I'm a little curious to see what I can accomplish in terms of recomposition over the next couple of months (as an "overfat beginner," I think I can have a decent run at this for a while).  If I do manage to put on some muscle, that will help me lose the fat a little easier when I decide to switch gears (i.e. after the holidays when I'm far more likely to stick to a stricter diet). 

Thank you all for the support, and good luck with your challenges!! 

 

giphy.gif

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 1 Recap and Adjustments

 

Challenge Goals:

1. Stronglifts three times per week: Done! (Tuesday ,Thursday, Sunday)

2. Hike/long walk or run two times per week: Failed pretty hard on this one. Maybe could count walking to meet friends for lunch when I could have taken the bus? But... that's pushing it.

3. Two meatless days per week: Done! (Tuesday and Friday)

4. No more than four alcoholic drinks per week: Oops. I had 6. Note to self: During the holidays, save them up for parties and friends in town. Don't use them on wine with dinner on a random day.

5. At least 80 grams of protein (including meatless days--more on meat days):  - Monday: 101, Tuesday: 95, Wednesday: 92, Thursday: 105, Friday: 68, Saturday: 73, Sunday: 61. Not the best, but I'm still going to count it because it averages to 85 grams per day.  Lesson learned: Even on meat days, if I eat junk, I'm probably not going to get enough protein.

 

Adjustments:

The holiday season is here! It's also a big month for birthdays in our family, and I have a lot of friends who are back in town.  As far as nutrition is concerned, I need to remember: THIS IS NOT BUSINESS AS USUAL.  I've been accused of being a "ho-ho head," which I'm fine with. But that means I want to join in on all the celebrations! So, I just need to plan a little better around those celebrations.  No booze unless its an event and only one, otherwise I'll run out of my 4 drinks early in the week.  Try not to eat so much damn sugar. Focus on the other tasty things that at least have some semblance of nutritional value. (Seriously, cupcakes were my downfall last week.)   Finally, treadmill walks count as walks! So no excuses! I did a treadmill incline walk workout this morning, so one down on that. Woohoo!

 

Current Lifts:

Squat (5x5): 110 lbs.

Bench (5x5): 75 lbs.

Row (5x5): 95 lbs.

Overhead Press: 70 lbs. (Failed last time, so repeating this one.)

Deadlift (1x5): 140 lbs.

 

Things got quite a bit harder in the last couple of workouts, so I'll probably start slowing down on some of the lifts. But I'm also excited because I think that the real work and real strength gains are starting to happen now that it's getting tougher. 

 

Keep doing the thing! 

 

giphy.gif

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 9:34 AM, snowkc said:

T
I've been doing the weight fight a long time. ...  probably 15 years? Over the years, I've done some stupid things, but also some really good things.  I have a decent knowledge base on nutrition but now I'm trying to find something that works for my life now without taking up so much mental energy.  I've had success with Paleo in the past, but it's a lot of meat, and I'm also cool with beans and healthy grains (I don't have celiac or any intolerance).  In the last year or so, I've been eating a lot less meat, and trying to find/support ranches with practices that I can get behind.  I'm finding that this really works for me for a couple of reasons: (1) Having a reason outside myself (treatment of animals and environmental reasons) makes me so much more likely to stick to my decisions; and (2) I eat a lot more vegetables (and ALL THE FIBER) when I don't eat meat, pretty much effortlessly.  With this, and making sure alcohol intake doesn't creep up, I've maintained my weight all year, which really is a first for me. I've always bounced around a lot within a year.  So, I'm going to continue this for now (and, let's be real, probably overdo it during December), but probably tighten things up early next year.

 

Yeah, I feel best when I eat meat and would love to be totally paleo but I worry about the climate impact, so I'm learning to cook beans and lentils and tofu as well. Besides, the nerds here suggested lack of carbs might hold back the workouts, so I guess omnivorous is best for now. Great work maintaining your weight! 

 

On 12/3/2018 at 8:46 AM, snowkc said:

Week 1 Recap and Adjustments

 

Challenge Goals:

1. Stronglifts three times per week: Done! (Tuesday ,Thursday, Sunday)

2. Hike/long walk or run two times per week: Failed pretty hard on this one. Maybe could count walking to meet friends for lunch when I could have taken the bus? But... that's pushing it.

3. Two meatless days per week: Done! (Tuesday and Friday)

4. No more than four alcoholic drinks per week: Oops. I had 6. Note to self: During the holidays, save them up for parties and friends in town. Don't use them on wine with dinner on a random day.

5. At least 80 grams of protein (including meatless days--more on meat days):  - Monday: 101, Tuesday: 95, Wednesday: 92, Thursday: 105, Friday: 68, Saturday: 73, Sunday: 61. Not the best, but I'm still going to count it because it averages to 85 grams per day.  Lesson learned: Even on meat days, if I eat junk, I'm probably not going to get enough protein.

 

Current Lifts:

Squat (5x5): 110 lbs.

Bench (5x5): 75 lbs.

Row (5x5): 95 lbs.

Overhead Press: 70 lbs. (Failed last time, so repeating this one.)

Deadlift (1x5): 140 lbs.

 

Things got quite a bit harder in the last couple of workouts, so I'll probably start slowing down on some of the lifts. But I'm also excited because I think that the real work and real strength gains are starting to happen now that it's getting tougher. 

 

 

Seems like good work! Yeah, getting enough protein definitely doesn't happen automatically, it requires some thought.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 2 Recap!

 

Challenge Goals:

1. StrongLifts three times per week: Done! (Tuesday ,Thursday, Sunday)

2. Hike/long walk or run two times per week: Done! Treadmill Monday, Lunch break walk Tuesday, Outside walk Sunday. Also just better at moving more throughout the day.

3. Two meatless days per week: Done! (Wednesday and Friday)

4. No more than four alcoholic drinks per week: Yeaa... 6 drinks again. Holidays!!  Lots of "lets meet for a drink." I need to get back to ordering fun mocktails if I'm out and about and don't want to feel left out.

5. At least 80 grams of protein (including meatless days--more on meat days):  Much better this week! Monday: 113, Tuesday: 106, Wednesday: 93, Thursday: 92, Friday: 89.  didn't track Saturday or Sunday, but I don't think they were too bad. I ate meat both days and had a protein hot cocoa Sunday. 

 

Adjustments: 

Last week was better! Still need to be careful on the socializing with alcohol.  I know that I'm as happy with a hot cocoa or a mocktail when I'm out and about, so I need to remember that. Buut, still not too bad.  I had many fewer desserts (no cupcakes), so I'm feeling much better and my skin is much clearer.  I'm covering for a lot of people who are out on vacation this month, so work is busy, but I'm still focused on doing my best!  I'd forgotten how much I enjoy lifting. I really don't want to miss a workout, especially since it's only 3 days per week right now.  I want to try to capitalize on that energy to be better about walking or doing yoga on my non-lifting days to continue to build up the habit of doing something most days. 

 

Current Lifts:

Squat (5x5): 125 lbs.

Bench (5x5): 80 lbs.

Row (5x5): 105 lbs.

Overhead Press: 70 lbs. (Soo close, but going to deload and work back up.)

Deadlift (1x5): 160 lbs.

 

Workouts are definitely harder and I'm more tired after, but I'm getting back closer to numbers that make me proud.  I'm excited to get to 135 lb. squat... because I'll be using the big kid plates (maybe a silly goal, but it feels way cooler to load up a 45 lb plate than smaller plates...).  I'm also getting closer to the highest I got on bench and deadlift the last time I did StrongLifts (95 and 200 lbs, respectively). So I'm excited to be getting closer to those again (and to pass them!!).  Feeling strong!

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snowkc said:

I need to get back to ordering fun mocktails if I'm out and about and don't want to feel left out.

 

Just get sparkling water and pretend it has vodka.

 

1 hour ago, snowkc said:

Workouts are definitely harder and I'm more tired after, but I'm getting back closer to numbers that make me proud.  I'm excited to get to 135 lb. squat... because I'll be using the big kid plates (maybe a silly goal, but it feels way cooler to load up a 45 lb plate than smaller plates...).  I'm also getting closer to the highest I got on bench and deadlift the last time I did StrongLifts (95 and 200 lbs, respectively). So I'm excited to be getting closer to those again (and to pass them!!).  Feeling strong!

 

Moving weight is good. That should make you proud. But yea, there's something visceral about putting on 45 lb plates that doesn't quite translate well with any other weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2018 at 11:17 AM, Grumble said:

Moving weight is good. That should make you proud. But yea, there's something visceral about putting on 45 lb plates that doesn't quite translate well with any other weight.

 

You're right, moving weight is good, and I am proud of that!  Buuuut... the big kid plates! :lol: Even using the 25s and 35s feels pretty good, but I get to use the 45s next session! 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 3 Recap!

 

Challenge Goals:

1. StrongLifts three times per week: Done! (Tuesday ,Thursday, Sunday)

2. Hike/long walk or run two times per week: Done! Lunch walk Friday, Nice long hike Saturday and Walk Sunday. Also two yoga/mobility/stretching workouts.

3. Two meatless days per week: Done! (Three days: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday)

4. No more than four alcoholic drinks per week: Failing this challenge pretty hard. But I think it's at least keeping me a little aware? 6 drinks again. I really don't drink more than 3-4 per week normally. But lots of celebrations, birthdays, holidays, and meet ups... Tis the season I guess.

5. At least 80 grams of protein (including meatless days--more on meat days):  Much better this week! Monday: 82, Tuesday: 118, Wednesday: 106, Thursday: 124, Friday: 108 Saturday: 85 Sunday: 63.  Soo... I hate horribly this weekend, but I ate meat both days. Interesting for me to note. Some vegetarian days I get way more protein than when I eat poorly, even when there is meat involved. 

 

Adjustments: 

I'll keep being mindful on alcohol, but it might have been a little ambitious for the holidays. I'm not going crazy, but 6 servings seems to be the more realistic limit for a week during the holidays.  I am doing (mostly) okay on avoiding office treats, but I had a big 'ol muffin at the family holiday Christmas party today.  No regrets, but holy shit that muffin was like 700 calories (of buttery, delicious sugar and white flour).  Logging is good for knowledge... but frankly I'd probably do it again.  Just not often.  

 

Work is still really busy since I'm covering for people, so I'm not doing great moving throughout the day.  I also need to make sure to sleep. I could really feel the sleep deprivation on my lifts this week. 

 

But I'm pleased with my lifting consistency. And the two mobility workouts I did were really needed. I really need to keep doing those to make sure I don't get stiff. 

 

Current Lifts:

 

Squat (5x5): 135 lbs. (oh hey 45s... took two tries, but I got 5x5)

Bench (5x5): 90 lbs. (failed, so I'll be repeating that this week)

Row (5x5): 105 lbs. (failed, and will probably have to deload. We'll see. I was swinging up a little too much. Way harder when you do it right and don't use momentum to cheat :lol:)

Overhead Press: 70 lbs. (Highest is 70, but failed, so working back up.)

Deadlift (1x5): 170 lbs. (Failed on the last rep. I think I'll get it next time.)

 

The party's over on adding weight every workout. I think I stalled on every lift this week. But they're big numbers for me, I haven't been microloading, and I'm still doing 5x5, so I feel good!  I was more tired from both the lifting and work-related sleep deprivation this week, so I need to make sure to sleep. It is also kind of nice to repeat a workout and/or deload. Kind of a relief. But I'm still adding and feeling stronger!

 

Good luck on the last week everyone!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Six drinks sounds pretty moderate for the holiday season if you're doing lots of socialising. But holy moly how can a muffin have 700 calories? I feel like for those numbers I'd rather have two real cupcakes*, and eschew even the pretence of being less unhealthy. 

*I posit that muffins are the disappointing healthy version of cupcakes, just as frozen yoghurt is the disappointing healthy version of ice cream. 

Good work on the lifts!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Harriet said:

*I posit that muffins are the disappointing healthy version of cupcakes, just as frozen yoghurt is the disappointing healthy version of ice cream. 
 

 

Haha normally I'd agree with you and at least get some cream cheese frosting in the mix.  But this muffin was frosting-free decadence. It tasted like eating Christmas morning for breakfast... so I'm really not that sorry. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Harriet said:

*I posit that muffins are the disappointing healthy version of cupcakes, just as frozen yoghurt is the disappointing healthy version of ice cream. 

You're half right, and I will fight to the death to defend the honor of frozen yogurt.

 

I tend to note that muffins are cupcakes that lie to you.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, snowkc said:

 

Haha normally I'd agree with you and at least get some cream cheese frosting in the mix.  But this muffin was frosting-free decadence. It tasted like eating Christmas morning for breakfast... so I'm really not that sorry. 

 

Deliciousness is the most important criteria. So, muffins it is. 

 

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

You're half right, and I will fight to the death to defend the honor of frozen yogurt.

 

I tend to note that muffins are cupcakes that lie to you.


Wait! Everyone sheath your swords! I feel like I should actually try some frozen yoghurt because we go to war over this. I find most ice cream flavours much too sweet, so maybe we can come to some sort of frozen desserts accord. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Wait! Everyone sheath your swords! I feel like I should actually try some frozen yoghurt because we go to war over this. I find most ice cream flavours much too sweet, so maybe we can come to some sort of frozen desserts accord. 

 

A scoop of compromise? Self serve armistice?some sort of sweet peace treat-ey?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Harriet said:

*I posit that muffins are the disappointing healthy version of cupcakes

 

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

I tend to note that muffins are cupcakes that lie to you.

I'll just leave this here, because it's where my brain immediately went :)

 

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Grumble said:

 

 sweet peace treat-ey?

 

This is the best. If I didn't know about Grimble I would ask if you're someone's dad, because your pun game is on point. Kudos.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Harriet said:

 

This is the best. If I didn't know about Grimble I would ask if you're someone's dad, because your pun game is on point. Kudos.

There is a reason I am the Pun Master Flex.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2018 at 2:43 PM, Harriet said:

*I posit that muffins are the disappointing healthy version of cupcakes, just as frozen yoghurt is the disappointing healthy version of ice cream. 
 

 

This also applies to protein/health food bars that are little more than a slightly higher protein candy bar....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Blocky said:

 

This also applies to protein/health food bars that are little more than a slightly higher protein candy bar....

 

This is a sad truth I wish I had learned too many calories and dollars ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Blocky said:

 

This also applies to protein/health food bars that are little more than a slightly higher protein candy bar....


They do seem to be filled with lots of suspect ingredients. But I may have bought into the "eat more protein" thing. How do you all feel about protein powders with milk? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harriet said:


They do seem to be filled with lots of suspect ingredients. But I may have bought into the "eat more protein" thing. How do you all feel about protein powders with milk? 

 

I prefer it, but I don't always need the extra calories/sugars from milk. So I tend to stick with water, plus water is easier to get than milk if you're out and about and take your protein shake with you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harriet said:


They do seem to be filled with lots of suspect ingredients. But I may have bought into the "eat more protein" thing. How do you all feel about protein powders with milk? 

 

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

 

I prefer it, but I don't always need the extra calories/sugars from milk. So I tend to stick with water, plus water is easier to get than milk if you're out and about and take your protein shake with you. 

 

I have no issues with protein powder... but because it's a supplement, it should be used to supplement your protein intake... Don't skip quality meats and stuff just to drink fancy choclate milk...

 

I also have mine with water (due to my low carb lyfestyle)...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blocky said:

 

 

I have no issues with protein powder... but because it's a supplement, it should be used to supplement your protein intake... Don't skip quality meats and stuff just to drink fancy choclate milk...

 

I also have mine with water (due to my low carb lyfestyle)...

 

Yeah, I usually make three small meals from scratch per day, and use the powder in between. I just can't seem to get close to the recommended 1g per lb just by eating whole foods. Typically I do meat for one meal per day, which adds a decent 30g. But meals with legumes or tofu are usually closer to 20.

 

Anyway, we've taken over your thread with food talk. How are you doing, Snow?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now