• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

snowkc

Winter Strong

On 12/19/2018 at 6:27 PM, Harriet said:

Anyway, we've taken over your thread with food talk. How are you doing, Snow?  

I'm glad you took it over with food talk! Good stuff here!   Not gonna lie, it's been a challenge of a week... but I'm hanging in there!  And picking up progressively heavier things, which was the main goal for this challenge, so I'll take it! 

On 12/19/2018 at 1:45 PM, Blocky said:

Don't skip quality meats and stuff just to drink fancy choclate milk...

Agree with this... except that I like to treat it like fancy chocolate milk. For example, I found sugar free peppermint coffee syrup. Yesterday, stirred that into a protein hot cocoa and Voila! Fancy holiday drink! Now, with protein and considerably less insulin! And I didn't cave and go to Starbucks for a sugar-ginger-mocha-more sugar drink. So... win!

Hope everyone is slaying this last challenge week!

• Like 3

On 12/19/2018 at 12:04 PM, Grumble said:

I prefer it, but I don't always need the extra calories/sugars from milk. So I tend to stick with water, plus water is easier to get than milk if you're out and about and take your protein shake with you. 

Agree with this. I like the extra proteins from the milk if I can; however, the majority of my protein drinks are consumed first thing at work after an early morning lift.... and I don't exactly keep a gallon of milk at the office.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 9:11 PM, snowkc said:

Current Lifts:

Squat (5x5): 135 lbs. (oh hey 45s... took two tries, but I got 5x5)

Bench (5x5): 90 lbs. (failed, so I'll be repeating that this week)

Row (5x5): 105 lbs. (failed, and will probably have to deload. We'll see. I was swinging up a little too much. Way harder when you do it right and don't use momentum to cheat :lol:)

Overhead Press: 70 lbs. (Highest is 70, but failed, so working back up.)

Deadlift (1x5): 170 lbs. (Failed on the last rep. I think I'll get it next time.)

You may be hitting where it is harder to add weight but I read this as GAIIIIIINZZZZZZZ

giphy.gif

From start of your challenge

Squat + 40 lbs ... 42% increase

Bench + 25 lbs ... 38% increase

Row +20 lbs ... 24% increase

OH Press +5 lbs ... 8% increase (this is the hardest lift you are doing, IMO, though)

DL +40 lbs  ... 31% increase

Those are some big % increases in just a few weeks! I sure wouldn't be disappointed with those plus ups!

• Like 3

Yep, the Captain is right--great work on your improving lifts! I think these lifts are super impressive for a woman, especially in such a short time frame. I mean, I also hit the point at which I couldn't increase every week... I just hit it at rather lower weights than you. Oh well. We lift with whatever nature gave us. Even if nature gave us the perfect physique for scrabble.

Also, I'm impressed with all of the people who can drink protein shakes with water. I tried it, and it's fully weird. 

• Like 1

Challenge Wrap Up! 

Challenge Goals:

This week was a great week, but sort of a train wreck for goals. I had a birthday (!!), threw a holiday party, went to a pop-up holiday bar, worked a ton, and slept... not enough. But all things considered, it could have been worse. I haven't weighed myself, but I'm totally gaining weight this month. Let's hope that my body is putting at least some of it to good use on some new muscles (rather than only my usual holiday fluff).

1. Stronglifts three times per week.  - Nope, only 2 times. (As far as a challenge week goes. But if you count weeks Sunday-Saturday rather than Monday-Sunday, I did 3x per week all month. So still good I think.)

2. Hike/long walk or run two times per week. - Done - ish. Did a good one Monday and cleaned the whole house yesterday, so gonna call it a workout.

3. Two meatless days per week. - Done. Monday and Friday.

4. No more than four alcoholic drinks per week. - Total fail. See above. Oh well. 

5. At least 80 grams of protein (including meatless days--more on meat days). I stopped tracking... but I think it wasn't too bad. 

Starting to Current Lifts:

Squat (5x5): 95lbs. -- Now: 140 lbs (5x5!)

Bench (5x5): 65 lbs. -- Now: 90 lbs (5x5)

Row (5x5): 85 lbs. -- Now: 105 lbs (failed. Deloading and working back up)

Overhead Press (5x5): 65 lbs. -- Now: 70 lbs (That was the highest, working back up from deloading.)

Deadlift (1x5): 130 lbs. -- Now: 170 lbs (1x5)

On 12/22/2018 at 7:48 AM, Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf said:

You may be hitting where it is harder to add weight but I read this as GAIIIIIINZZZZZZZ

On 12/22/2018 at 7:48 AM, Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf said:

Those are some big % increases in just a few weeks! I sure wouldn't be disappointed with those plus ups!

Thank you!! I'm definitely slowing down, but I'm really excited to have gotten as high as I did before it slowed down. And I still feel like I'm making pretty quick progress, even though the add-weight-every-workout party had to come to an end.  Yay GAIIIINNZZZZ!

On 12/22/2018 at 6:48 PM, Harriet said:

Yep, the Captain is right--great work on your improving lifts! I think these lifts are super impressive for a woman, especially in such a short time frame. I mean, I also hit the point at which I couldn't increase every week... I just hit it at rather lower weights than you. Oh well. We lift with whatever nature gave us. Even if nature gave us the perfect physique for scrabble.

Also, I'm impressed with all of the people who can drink protein shakes with water. I tried it, and it's fully weird. 

Thank you too!! I think I was able to add weight more quickly this round partly because I did StrongLifts once a couple of years ago for several months. I think a couple of things from that helped me progress more quickly this time: (1) I was more aware of my form and keeping an eye on what I'm likely to mess up (e.g. not arching my back and squeezing my butt on overhead press, trying to push the floor apart with my feet on squats, etc.), and (2) I was less afraid of the weight. Because I'd lifted some of these numbers before, I was willing to keep trying the weight, even though it felt like a lot.  I kind of doubt that I retained much muscle from the last time I did StrongLifts, but maybe some muscle memory too? I felt like I progressed a lot faster this time.  (Also--I fear your scrabble game.)

As for the protein powder, I'm not much of a milk drinker in the first place, so maybe watered down drinks are less weird for me.  I do think they taste way better with milk, but I don't usually buy milk, so water it is.

Thanks for all the support on this challenge!  I'm going to stick with Stronglifts through the end of the month. I'm going on vacation for 10 days in January (so excited!), so I need to think up some goals to enjoy but not totally blow it.  I think when I get back I'll get back to StrongLifts again at least until I get up to pre-vacation levels.  But after that, I'd love some wisdom on when to keep following StrongLifts (through deloads, maybe change to 3x5, or don't add weight every workout) vs. doing a different/intermediate program.   That's probably another challenge away, but it's something I'm starting to ponder. 

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year everyone!!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

On 12/22/2018 at 7:48 PM, Harriet said:

We all have certain skills lol

I think it in large part depends on the protein shake. Some of them certainly don't blend as well as others, so drinking with water may be more gritty. Below is a link to the stuff I usually have after my morning lift. It blends decent in a normal shaker bottle and tastes decent.  Though I will admit it tastes better in milk because then it is essentially chocolate milk.

Isopure Low Carb Protein Powder, 100% Whey Protein Isolate, Flavor: Dutch Chocolate

https://www.amazon.com/Isopure-Protein-Powder-Isolate-Flavor/dp/B000E8ZJGS

It isn't super cheap... but you get what you pay for. It doesn't have a bunch of garbage extra crap in it and is a high protein per serving.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, snowkc said:

Thank you!! I'm definitely slowing down, but I'm really excited to have gotten as high as I did before it slowed down.

It has to happen eventually! Otherwise you'd just keep gaining strength in a straight line and turn into the hulk!

I'm with you too though. I'm at that point on a few of my lifts. It is weird though because you might suddenly jump up after a while of being stuck. I've had that happen.  Just keep working at it and don't let the form suffer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf said:

Otherwise you'd just keep gaining strength in a straight line and turn into the hulk!

I mean... that’d be pretty sweet though.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 8:10 AM, snowkc said:

I mean... that’d be pretty sweet though.

I'd like hulk strength but I'd like to keep my normal colour, please. 

• Like 2