• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jakkals

Jakkals probeer weer.

On 12/6/2018 at 10:16 PM, Jakkals said:

I can write Ring but not Sauron, and Droid is acceptable but Sith is not.

:D It's an old fashioned version then, before LOTR and way before Star Wars. Or the person who put it on the internet isn't a nerd!

On 12/6/2018 at 10:16 PM, Jakkals said:

And I hate the ads. There is no way to get rid of it

:( Know that feeling.

On 12/7/2018 at 10:28 PM, Jakkals said:

I ended up sitting in my car reading a book just to have a short break.

A late afternoon nap helped a bit.

Self care is very important. Good win for you.

7 hours ago, Jakkals said:

And it rained, very much needed and it cooled things down. We need a new rain meter.

Here too! We've had +20mm of rain since Friday evening, and today it is raining again! Glorious! We never had a rain meter, but I'm thinking of getting one, though... don't know if it is really necessary.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Or the person who put it on the internet isn't a nerd!

This is the official version of scrabble. I think they have the feeling that they do not have to be cool. They allow any archaic saxon word. Maybe in another 100 years it will be old enough to be included.

Rainmeters are interesting. You should get the boys and install a small weather station and have them keep the data. 

Sondag

I did spend the morning at the workshop. 

And I slept through the entire afternoon.

I have sorted through all the papers in my office and now have them stacked all over the place. 

It was not a bad day.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2018 at 10:18 PM, Jakkals said:

Rainmeters are interesting. You should get the boys and install a small weather station and have them keep the data.

On three different occasions we took about a week each time and wrote up what we saw, and what the weather forecast said for the day. It isn't like having your own little weather station, but it did teach the boys that if the wind blows a certain way, then there is a storm on the way (frontal winds), and in summer, if there is mist rolling up the street, it will be a hot, hot day! We also have a little round cardboard disc on the wall where we change the arrow to what the weather looks like outside. So, nothing fancy, but the boys have learnt some things. We just don't have space to put more things up and keep it there. That's why the microscope travels between the back room and the front room, when we use it. We need more space!

• Like 1

Maandag:

Sore hip, ear infection, headache, brain meltdown.

Dinsdag

brain fine, hip fine, head fine, ear still echoing but nothing hurts.

3 sleeps left.

• Like 3

Glad you are feeling better and hope your ear is no longer ringing. 

Did I miss something about why you are counting down sleeps - is it a countdown to the weekend?

Donderdag

The mother: We are going to a show tonight.

Me: Great, I am going to have the evening alone.

2 hours later.

The mother: You have to do the driving.

Me: Bugger. But great as well, I can go and see a movie.

2 hours later.

The mother: But you have to go go to the concert too, the ticket has already been bought.

Me. F----

I was really not pleased. A dark little thundercloud ready to strike lightning at anybody. I did manage my brain well, so survived it. The show turned out to be a Christmas song thingy thingy, and it was not bad, but I would really really would have liked to spend the evening alone. But I did not clap for anything. Rebellion takes many forms.

Vrydag

Last day of work for the year. Everybody has gone home, I have got the workshop to myself, and a to-do list longer than my arm. 

Like always, the last day at work is shit. All employees are pissed off about lack of money, the smallness of the bonuses, the stingyness of the barbeque, the unreasonableness of me wanting the workshop properly clean, and my father walking around dropping misery and curse words to make everyone's life even worse.

But by noon they were all gone. Bliss.

And then I had a social afternoon. Some guys who were at school with me played golf the morning, and I joined them for the afternoon. It turned out to be very enjoyable. It has been a long time since I socialled, and in the first time I have been at the golfclub.

48407440_10156014535241589_2639372860702

• Like 3

Well done on handling those two days. Did your mom not tell you beforehand that you are to go with them to the show? Anyway... you made it and had a good enough time - rebellion none the less :). Hope you have some good, long quiet hours in your shop.

• Like 1

Saterdag.

My first alone day wasn't an alone day. We got a small order I needed to print and my brother had to help me. So I spend the entire day working and talking. And since my brother has a few of the same issues that I have our talk tend to descend into a spiral of negativity.  And the machine started to have an intermittent fault that kept on getting worse and worse. So instead of finishing enough for stock we ended up with just enough. I have to finish packing those on Monday. 

Saturday night movie was Zombieland. 

• Like 1

Sondag

Took the dogs for a long walk, went home, sat down with a book, finished it, sorted some things out, had lunch, slept, walked the dogs, eat, internet, and sorted out papers in my office. What Workshop?

• Like 3

Concerning going to the show with your mom - a little rebellion can be a very good thing! 

Glad you had a nice time with the guys you went to school with. Will packing up the stock on Monday be the end of your work year?

Workshop - Tuesday?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ShadowLion said:

Glad you had a nice time with the guys you went to school with. Will packing up the stock on Monday be the end of your work year?

That is hopefully the end of the things I must do this year to please customers.

First on my to-do list is a steel rack, everything has been cut and is soaking in the degreaser.

And I bought a pizza. Between the idea of buying a small pizza and actually eating it my eyes got larger and I bought a large pizza. I should have stayed with small.

I have found that speeding up Youtube videos makes it faster to watch, especially the ones that is not that important. It does not work with ballet.

• Like 4

Dinsdag.

Two steel frames welded and ready for painting, one halfway done, two still to be done. 

Slogging on. 

The only thing I did extra today was buying some more ant poison, using my credit card.

• Like 2

Woensdag

Steel rack finished, painted and installed. I think I am going to leave the filling up for the employees on their first work day next year. And my camera is missing.  I just found it under the only stack of paper on my desk.

And I have another big job suddenly dumped on me. At least two days, probably more. That is what holidays are for.

A lot of thunder and bluster last night, but no rain. It has been many weeks since we had decent rain. Not even the weeds are growing.

• Like 3

Donderdag.

Worked all day. I need to take a day off and rest. Tomorrow will not be that day. 

Light blue is the new steel rack. In front is the saw stand that I am upgrading and repairing.

48406689_10156025412286589_6282370971642

• Like 2

On 12/19/2018 at 10:22 PM, Jakkals said:

And I have another big job suddenly dumped on me. At least two days, probably more.

Oh goody, income! Brandt will also be doing small jobs from home during these public holidays, as he isn't much of a holiday-taking guy. But he is mostly looking forward to building a rollover cage inside Skedonk. For that he needs to cut the roof off, lift it up, build and place the roll over cage inside the car, extend the roof braces(?), then put it back on.

12 hours ago, Jakkals said:

Light blue is the new steel rack.

Oh is that for long lengths of steel? Angle iron, tubing? Brandt's stuff is lying in front of the house, under the windows. I'll show him these racks you made, as he wants to reorganise the garage.

20 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Oh goody, income!

Nope, this is going to be for the workshop, which means I am not going to get money.

Vrydag

I got up with a plan, got into my car and it just went clack instead of vroom.

The morning was spend repairing battery cables, and the afternoon cleaning the stand with the pressure washer, and since I was busy, washing the cars as well.

When that was finished my car flatly refused to start. 

So I am now without reliable transport for the foreseeable future. Life sucks.

And I found out we are going to family for Christmas. I am trying to get the courage to get that 'we' out of that sentence.

• Sad 1

On 12/22/2018 at 7:22 AM, Jakkals said:

And I found out we are going to family for Christmas. I am trying to get the courage to get that 'we' out of that sentence.

COURAGE! Sending you heaps through the air.

All the best, Jakkals. Hope you can sort out the car problems.

• Like 1

Weekend over

Car got sorted. I am not sure if it was the wiring that screwed up the battery or the battery that screwed up the wiring but repairing the wires and a new battery and it all seems to be OK. It will take a few weeks more before I will be comfortable that the repairs were done right.

I will not be able to get out of the family thing. But I am going to leave as early as possible. And arrive as late as possible.

https://www.bmj.com/content/363/bmj.k5094

• Like 3

On 12/24/2018 at 7:59 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

This is a video from FB, not sure if it’ll post, but it seems like something you could use.

That seems useful, but I think it would be better to put it on other people.  With Shut Up written on the inside.

On 12/26/2018 at 10:08 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Hope you survived Christmas day.

Christmas day was survived. Nobody were killed in the process. I did go to the workshop in the morning, we left here at around 11. I decided not to waste my money and fuel on those people, and went with my parents. I did not even bother to dress up: t-shirt, workshop shorts and barefoot. I did ate too much, there were four types of meat, and I ate two small potatoes, one pumpkin fritter and a lot of meat. Later that afternoon I also had ice cream. After eating I went swimming, and then I stayed in the shadows until we went home. I missed most of the conversations, and did not speak much. Christmas movie was Love Actually. 

The day after Christmas I did nothing. Mostly Youtube and reading. That was a nice recovery day.

The rest of the week is still working on the bloody machine stand. I spend more time thinking than actually working, but I am reaching a point now. 

And the water pipe at the workshop decided to crack on this Saturday. So in between I am trying to find the leak.

Saturday night movie was the first half of the Swedish version of 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.'

• Like 1