Rise Above (the Pull-Up Bar!)

So, a recent 'no running' order from my physio has prompted a little PvP idea, as whilst my issues get ironed out and I'm cleared to run again, I will be focusing a lot on upper body strength. 

Whatever our circumstances, wherever we are, no matter how far from, or close to, our goals, we face being bogged down by our enemies. Sloth, fatigue, well meaning friends and family encouraging us to forgo this workout or that, scared or jealous ones who tell us the same in different ways. Injury. Sickness. The enemy is everywhere, whispering in our ears, lying to our faces. Tripping us so we fall. 

But defeating our enemies is what we do. We are the Rebellion. If we are to conquer the demons, achieve our goals and silence the negative voices trying to dampen our radiance, we must do this one thing above all else. We must Rise. 

In that spirit, this PvP is about Rising Above the Pull-Up Bar. Or hanging off it, but that didn't work so well in the title ;)

giphy.gif

The rules are simple. The PvP will start tomorrow, the 27th November (because I am not organised to get the challenge underway beforehand!) and run until the end of the challenge on the eve of Christmas Eve. The Rebel with the most points wins.

You can sign up here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H9po8MwPLpVDDtespqiMhkykd6ntQB7GMNvwZbHjOP4/edit#gid=0

Points are allocated according to which category it belongs to. Pull-Ups or Hangs.

Pull-ups - Each rep is worth 10 points

- For the sake of simplicity and to avoid confusion, ONLY THESE EXERCISES COUNT as a 10 point/rep:

1. Full Pull-Up

2. Full Chin-Up

3. Negative Pull-up

4. Band Assisted Pull-Up

This should make it fair and accessible for all. 

Hangs - Each 10 SECONDS is worth 1 Point

- So, if I did a 30 second dead hang, I get 3 points. If I did a 20 second dead hang and a 30 second flex arm hang, I'd get 5 points. 

1. Dead hang (Remember, squeeze your shoulder blades and draw them down, and squeeze your butt!)

2. Flex arm hold (like this)  

Now, I suck at spreadsheets. Fact. So the spreadsheet for the PvP comes courtesy of @Charlie_Quinn

• Like 3

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

I'll play. IMy main focus is my paralettes training, so we'll see how much mojo I have left for this, but it sounds fun

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Since I'm doing deadhangs 3x per week in an attempt to improve my grip strength, and to work up to actual pull ups, I'm in.

I'm very competitive, so the peer pressure will help. :angel:

• Like 4

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

This meshes well with my overall goals so I am in for this :)  I will be out for half of the challenge, though, but I will do what I can

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I'm in!

Pull Ups GIF

• Like 3

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

1 minute ago, Tobbe said:

A rings muscle up! That has got to be worth bonus points!

My dream is to be as awesome as this red panda

• Like 3

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Okay I'm here :) Time to do many pull ups! Although I really think we should scale this to bodyweight. Not that I'm saying that just because it'll mean I'll win ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

I haven't tried doing a pull-up in a while, because I knew I couldn't complete it. But now, because of this challenge, I just tried doing one. And yeah, I still can't perform a full pull-up. I get to where my forehead touches the bar, but then I can't pull any further. 

What would be the best exercise to do to be able to complete those last 10 - 15 inches of the pull-up?

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Tobbe said:

What would be the best exercise to do to be able to complete those last 10 - 15 inches of the pull-up?

Negatives :) that's always my answer. But holding the top as much as you can before slowly lowering. The other thing you might try is doing a pull up out of a negative, rather than off of a dead hang because that'll mean that your muscles are pre-engaged to start. 

And have a little patience and try again in a couple of weeks. 

2 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Since I'm doing deadhangs 3x per week in an attempt to improve my grip strength, and to work up to actual pull ups, I'm in.

I'm also going to tell you to do negatives. Just 1 or 2 to begin with. When you do your deadhangs just start at the top of the movement and lower slowly. It'll help teach you how to engage your back muscles and your arms for when you want to start working towards your first pull up. 

14 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

4. Band Assisted Pull-Up

What about machine assisted pull ups? These are essentially the same thing (albeit without the variable resistance). And yes I know i should have thought about this when you asked me to look it over :) 

4371_2.jpg

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

I haven't tried doing a pull-up in a while, because I knew I couldn't complete it. But now, because of this challenge, I just tried doing one. And yeah, I still can't perform a full pull-up. I get to where my forehead touches the bar, but then I can't pull any further. 

Switch to chin-ups. When you can do 3 chins you should be able to get your first pull-up.
  • Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

20 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Negatives :) that's always my answer. But holding the top as much as you can before slowly lowering.

Thanks for the advice Thumbs Up

And extra thanks for being specific about holding at the top. I think I'll switch to purely focusing on negatives instead of (leg-) assisted pull-ups for my workout routine

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Is it really that much easier to do a chin-up compared to a pull-up? I'll try chin-ups next time!

I can't actually do chin ups at all but I can do pull ups (that's a mobility issue in one of my arms) but you really should try different grip stances and grip widths. It feels like a much stronger stance when I'm using a neutral grip compared to an overhand grip, for instance. So it is certainly worth trying to see if you are able to get some. Just beware you can get really good at doing them one way and still not be able to do them another. That is because there is a skill element with pull ups as well as the strength element. 

• Like 2

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Is it really that much easier to do a chin-up compared to a pull-up? I'll try chin-ups next time!

Yes :D

Did 2 chin-ups and 10 chin over bar holds

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I'll play. IMy main focus is my paralettes training, so we'll see how much mojo I have left for this, but it sounds fun

6 hours ago, Arkania said:

Count me in!

4 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Ohh, this aligns well with my current workout routine! Hopefully I'll get to do my first pull up/chin up thanks to this challenge Strong

3 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This meshes well with my overall goals so I am in for this :)  I will be out for half of the challenge, though, but I will do what I can

2 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'm in!

Pull Ups GIF

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

Okay I'm here :) Time to do many pull ups! Although I really think we should scale this to bodyweight. Not that I'm saying that just because it'll mean I'll win ;) 

Yay, good to see you all here!

@Charlie_Quinn I was hoping someone would post that gif!

51 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

What about machine assisted pull ups? These are essentially the same thing (albeit without the variable resistance). And yes I know i should have thought about this when you asked me to look it over :) 

*eyeroll* Jon, the 'Only these exercises count' thing was set to avoid these questions! :P 

Now, part of me is inclined to say no, machines don't count (we ARE machines!). But I'll open it up to everyone: Would you prefer they counted towards the points or not?

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

2 hours ago, Tobbe said:

65 more seconds -> 6 more points :D I'm loving this! Wonder how long this excitement will last :D 

Also Tobbe I am loving this!

Spoiler

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

^ Since I weigh more than Jon, I agree with Jon™. :D

• Like 1

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

I can't actually do chin ups at all but I can do pull ups (that's a mobility issue in one of my arms) but you really should try different grip stances and grip widths. It feels like a much stronger stance when I'm using a neutral grip compared to an overhand grip, for instance. So it is certainly worth trying to see if you are able to get some.

1 hour ago, Arkania said:

Yes :D

Tried to do a chin-up. Got a little further. Got to my nose. So still not a full pull, but closer!