jstanlick tries to get off the ride in one piece

jstanlick

So, I was inspired by @DJtrippyT, and her goal to compete in the upcoming CrossFit open. Since we're only a couple of years apart in age, I wondered how far off I am from being able to do that. Besides, I needed some MetCon workouts to do anyway. So, I went back to last year's open workouts and looked up my age category. Nope, not strong enough for the Rx versions yet. Ah, but maybe the scaled versions would be possible. So, I gave the men's masters 45- 49 scaled versions of 18.2 and 18.3 a try. I know, they really shouldn't be back-to-back, but what the hell. I really just wanted to test myself and see where I'm at. I hit the time cap in both, and I'm okay with that. I'm not too far off.

18.2 was:

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 reps for time of 

Dumbbell squats (35 lb DB's)

Bar facing burpees

Followed by 18.2a

1-rep-max clean

Time cap of 12 minutes for both. I finished 18.2 in 12:22.32. Close.

18.3 was:

2 rounds for time of:

100 single unders

20 OHS (45 lb)

100 single unders

12 chin-over-bar pull-ups

100 single unders

20 dumbbell snatches (35 lb DB)

100 single unders

12 chin-over-bar pullups

Time cap of 14 minutes. I finished the first round in 8:17 and knew I was going to beat the time cap. I finished the last set of DB snatches at 13:57 and stopped. I was spent, and feeling a little swole which was a nice boost for the ego.

I am okay with all of this. I am a little sore and achey, but in a good way. 6 months ago, this pain and acheyness would have been so much worse. It would have kept me from running for a few days and lifting for a week. I plan on going for a run a little later today. There is also no way I would have been as close to beating those time caps as I was. Very good progress. I'll take it!

• Like 4

Yesterday we got the tree up with the lights on. That's as far as we made it. Then later at night the lights went out, so I'm kinda glad we didn't get any further. Today I have to figure out what happened to those. I'm guessing its a fuse in the first string of lights. I can't think of another reason why the entire tree would be out.

I did manage a quick 5K in the cold after taking the dog on a 1.5 mile walk. Not my fastest run, but it felt good to be outside running and not hiding on the treadmill from the winter.

My wife and daughter and her friend went to a local college's Christmas choral concert. My daughter and her friend attended as part of their homework. They have to write a critique of another choral group as part of their choir class. So, the boys and I watched Wreck It Ralph followed by Merry Christmas Charlie Brown. They went to bed and then I stayed up too late watching Edge of Tomorrow. Its a weird movie for me, in that the more I watch it, the more I like it. I guess I am starting to appreciate it for how difficult it must be to shoot the same scenes over, slightly differently and pull it off well without being cheesy. Or maybe I just don't see enough movies and get super excited when I get to see anything that's not animated :D 

• Like 4
On 12/8/2018 at 9:57 AM, jstanlick said:

So, I was inspired by @DJtrippyT, and her goal to compete in the upcoming CrossFit open. Since we're only a couple of years apart in age, I wondered how far off I am from being able to do that. Besides, I needed some MetCon workouts to do anyway. So, I went back to last year's open workouts and looked up my age category. Nope, not strong enough for the Rx versions yet. Ah, but maybe the scaled versions would be possible. So, I gave the men's masters 45- 49 scaled versions of 18.2 and 18.3 a try. I know, they really shouldn't be back-to-back, but what the hell. I really just wanted to test myself and see where I'm at. I hit the time cap in both, and I'm okay with that. I'm not too far off.

18.2 was:

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 reps for time of 

Dumbbell squats (35 lb DB's)

Bar facing burpees

Followed by 18.2a

1-rep-max clean

Time cap of 12 minutes for both. I finished 18.2 in 12:22.32. Close.

18.3 was:

2 rounds for time of:

100 single unders

20 OHS (45 lb)

100 single unders

12 chin-over-bar pull-ups

100 single unders

20 dumbbell snatches (35 lb DB)

100 single unders

12 chin-over-bar pullups

Time cap of 14 minutes. I finished the first round in 8:17 and knew I was going to beat the time cap. I finished the last set of DB snatches at 13:57 and stopped. I was spent, and feeling a little swole which was a nice boost for the ego.

I am okay with all of this. I am a little sore and achey, but in a good way. 6 months ago, this pain and acheyness would have been so much worse. It would have kept me from running for a few days and lifting for a week. I plan on going for a run a little later today. There is also no way I would have been as close to beating those time caps as I was. Very good progress. I'll take it!

this is so exciting, especially since I'm so rarely a good example for anything...

We're clearly in sync as I did 18.2 this week as well!

• Like 2
20 hours ago, jstanlick said:

Not my fastest run, but it felt good to be outside running and not hiding on the treadmill from the winter.

If I can I'll avoid doing this entirely (although admittedly I am doing some workouts on the treadmill but that's mostly because I'm at the gym anyway). 

I fancy giving 18.2 a try now :) I think I could do it RX'd (35-39) but my clean is pretty crummy. How much did you hit with it? 

• Like 1
On 12/9/2018 at 9:47 AM, Salinger said:

I thought Edge of Tomorrow was excellent :)

Hope you fix those lights xx

Well, they’re mostly fixed. 

On 12/9/2018 at 1:10 PM, DJtrippyT said:

this is so exciting, especially since I'm so rarely a good example for anything...

We're clearly in sync as I did 18.2 this week as well!

I think you’re a better example than you give yourself credit for. 

On 12/10/2018 at 4:41 AM, jonfirestar said:

If I can I'll avoid doing this entirely (although admittedly I am doing some workouts on the treadmill but that's mostly because I'm at the gym anyway). 

I fancy giving 18.2 a try now :) I think I could do it RX'd (35-39) but my clean is pretty crummy. How much did you hit with it? 

Ha! I hit the time cap before I got to the clean, so I don’t have a good answer for you. What am discovering this challenge is that I am lacking in sheer power but have some incredible endurance. So I’m going to switch up my training a bit over the winter as long as I can’t run outside as much as I’d like anyway. 

• Like 1

Hi. Hello. No I didn’t die. Might have been preferable. This week I was on call. In fact I still have about 16 hours left of on call and then I’m done until after the holidays. 

I have managed to keep up with 3 of my 4 goals even if I missed an entire week of NF. I got in 3 runs and 2 were outside even. Yesterday was my fastest 10k distance. Today was squats, dead’s and OHP. The treadmill intervals and more lifting had a very positive effect on my running. Combined with the running and the diet, I’ve had a little more progress on the blood sugar numbers as well. 

Sleep has has been hard to come by this week though. I’ve only managed to average a little over 7 hours and I wouldn’t have hit that if it weren’t for sleeping in this weekend. My phone finally quieted down this weekend. Sooner than later I need to do some Christmas shopping. But I’m currently watching my sons basketball practice, then I need to pickup my daughter from a friends house and grab my other son from play practice.

Want I really want is a nap...and maybe a nice single malt. Hmm, better rethink that order of events. Hard to drink the scotch if I’m asleep :P 

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Hope this week is calmer for you.Woot for hitting your goals despite work busyness!

I hope it’s calmer too!!!!

Thanks! Been trying to keep my eyes on the prize. I’m really looking forward to this thing called sleep all the kids seem to be talking about. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, jstanlick said:

Hi. Hello. No I didn’t die. Might have been preferable. This week I was on call. In fact I still have about 16 hours left of on call and then I’m done until after the holidays

I'm going on call over new year, which I'm weirdly okay with. 

13 hours ago, jstanlick said:

Ha! I hit the time cap before I got to the clean, so I don’t have a good answer for you. What am discovering this challenge is that I am lacking in sheer power but have some incredible endurance. So I’m going to switch up my training a bit over the winter as long as I can’t run outside as much as I’d like anyway. 

So that's more work on bringing up the raw numbers while backing off from the endurance work a little? 

4 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hope you get some good sleep soon! And enjoy the scotch!! :P xx

Sleep was had, scotch was not. And it was still glorious!!!

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I'm going on call over new year, which I'm weirdly okay with. 

So that's more work on bringing up the raw numbers while backing off from the endurance work a little? 

It should be quiet around here during the holidays. Which would have made it a decent time to be on call. Last week, however, was not the case. So, I think I got to deal with all the crazy prior to the quiet and I'll get all the crazy after the quiet to start the New Year. But, that's why I make the mediocre bucks I guess :D 

Yep. I need to work on the sheer strength numbers. I'm told that gets harder the older you get. So, its not different from anything else I've done over the last year. Well, it is a little different. I always have access to a place to run, ya know, like outside and stuff. What I don't have access to is a power rack. But, I don't think I would need one for a while given how low those strength numbers are anyway.

• Like 2

Ouch. Why do I get muscle soreness in the weirdest places? There is this tightness between my shoulder blades after completing the Filthy Fifty workout yesterday. Rx'd no less! Annnnd, now I'm paying the price I guess. Oh well, I Rx'd the Filthy Fifty in just under 26 minutes. I'm gonna take that and run with it!

For time:
50 box jumps
50 jumping pull-ups
50 kettlebell swings
50 walking-lunge steps
50 knees-to-elbows
50 push presses
50 back extensions
50 wall-ball shots
50 burpees
50 double-unders

Men: 24-inch box, 16-kg KB, 45-lb. push press, 20-lb. ball
Women: 20-inch box, 12-kg KB, 35-lb. push press, 14-lb. ball

I got some sleep for the second night in a row. I hit my nutrition numbers and I had some time to myself. Yesterday was a good day.

Today I trying to decide if I should push things or not. I wasn't expecting this acute pain. I think there's a muscle strain there. Doesn't feel DOMS-ish. On the other hand, it feels a lot better now than last night. I think if I go for a run, I won't make it worse. But, I was planning on run for Wednesday. Also, it would be super easy to just skip everything and enjoy a day of no fitnessing, cuz...well...for some reason I'm feeling lazy today. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Wow amazing great workout!!!!! x

Thanks!

38 minutes ago, isaac10991 said:

Take a break. You deserve it! Get a pizza, kick back, and relax.

Yeah, today's WOD is:

5 rounds for time of:
400-m run
15 thrusters
10 burpees

Men: 75 lb.
Women: 55 lb.

Trying to decide if I do the thrusters will it continue to loosen up my back, or make things worse? So, for now, I ate lunch and will see how things feel in a couple of hours. That usually spells death for my workout plans, but who knows.

• Like 2