• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jstanlick

jstanlick tries to get off the ride in one piece

20 hours ago, isaac10991 said:

I think it turned out pretty nicely for anything paleo. I'm sorry I didn't do it justice with my picture taking skills :) My recommendation is to make the crust as thin as possible.

Looks pretty tasty to me! Plus, that's the real grading scale is how it tastes. Thanks for the hint on making it thin!

So, yesterday I did attempt to work out. I went through a warm-up practicing double unders with my new speed rope, even was loose and felt pretty good so I gave it a shot. It was supposed to be:

Record for time:

5 rounds

400m run

15 Thrusters (35lb DBs)

10 burpees

Partway through the burpees of round 3 my traps between my shoulder blades started to tighten up again. I decided those 2 extra rounds were not worth sustaining an actual long term injury and stopped with 3 rounds completed in 13 minutes and 29 seconds. Then I ran a nice easy pace on the treadmill for 12 minutes and it loosened back up again. I need some quality time with my foam roller I think.

Food was on track. Sleep was a little short because I had to get my daughter to school early this morning for some last minute choir practice. But, after dropping her off I had time to fit in a leisurely 5K before work. My back is feeling better today, and I do think some foam roller time would help immensely, but we have my daughters choir concert tonight. Which likely means eating out and sitting in some uncomfortable chairs for 90 - 120 minutes. But, at least I got my workout in already today.

Tomorrow should be interesting. End of the year department party...at the movie theater. We've rented out a screen with the latest Fantastic Beasts movie. I mean, what else would you go see with a bunch of nerdy software people, right? That includes a catered lunch. These things haven't gone well for me since the diabetes thing. Everything is always all carbs. Oh well. There's got to be a vegetable somewhere I can eat...but it might come with a slice of pizza attached to it. I'll let you know.

• Like 3

Sounds like a smart move not to push it, and then you were able to run later. Good job at using your time well and getting the run in.  Enjoy the movie tomorrow. Let me know what you think about it. I had mixed feelings

• Like 2

On 12/19/2018 at 9:30 PM, Elastigirl said:

Sounds like a smart move not to push it, and then you were able to run later. Good job at using your time well and getting the run in.  Enjoy the movie tomorrow. Let me know what you think about it. I had mixed feelings

It was meh. It beat working. But, I didn't see the first one or all of the Harry Potter movies, so I was a bit out of the know watching it. A bunch of people went to see Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse once we got there. I kinda wish I would've joined them.

On 12/20/2018 at 4:02 AM, Salinger said:

Hope you enjoy the party <3 x

Like I said, it sure beat working. It was a taco bar, so I could just pile up food I can eat and leave out the tortillas and chips and what not. Food side of things was actually easier than I thought it would be.

• Like 1

The Christmas gatherings at my house are over and only two more family events (tomorrow & Saturday) left. We have to drive to my in-laws and go to an extended family reunion type thing on Saturday, but then I can sit around the house until 2019. Well, not sit around, that's not quite my style. But, I am sleeping in and it feels GREAT! We've survived the hosting portion of the holidays with minimal damage. My MiL managed to push my wife's buttons, but that makes sense since she installed most of the buttons in the first place. I stayed out of it this time and just offered a listening ear to my wife after they left. There's really not much more I can do. She's 75 and I've known her for nearly 30 years. She's always been this way. She's not going to change. But, it's far easier for me to blow her off than it is for my wife.

As far as this challenge goes, I feel like I rocked 3 of my 4 goals. The sleep goal continues to elude me. I really thought I'd get it this time, but no. The last week of the challenge was the best of them all with a 7:21 hour average. Still not the 7:30 average, but better than the rest. Still, I'm calling this challenge a win. For the first time since high school (since I'm almost 47, that's a while ago), the scale spit out a number under 180 a few days ago. So, that's 36 pounds lost since October 2017, and 26 pounds lost since the official diabetes diagnosis. My average blood sugar over the last month has been below 100. I think I'm making progress again on that front after it stalled for a while.

I'm going to take some time to read some more research over the break here and see how I want to attack 2019. While there is a lot of good research out there on the benefits of Keto, I'm not sure I need to go that far given the recent blood sugar successes. I don't know, maybe my exercise regime and focus on net carbs below 70 has put me close to ketosis on some days anyway. Maybe I'll have to buy some test strips and see close I am in the first place. But, anyway, I hope all had a good Christmas and wish all my Nerd Fitness friends a kick ass 2019!!

• Like 5

Sadly, I did not make it off the ride in one piece. I was working in the attic on Saturday and reached around between some rafters to grab a toolbox and something in my left rib cage popped or something. All I know is it hurt like hell. I can't run. It hurts too much. I can't do any kind of explosive movements. I seem to be able to do some bodyweight training though. Push-ups are fine, air squats, reverse lunges (but not regular lunges) and strangely regular planks are all doable with no pain. Side planks are out. I took the dog for a walk today and except for when she wanted to chase a bunny and pulled on the leash, that was fine.

Sigh. So, it looks like I will be starting off 2019 nursing an injury and trying to find new ways to exercise that won't bother my ribs until they are healed. This pisses me off because I really was in a good groove with the exercising. HIIT seems likely to be out for now. So, no CF WODs or even fast paced circuits. I might have to become more closely acquainted with the stationary bike or the elliptical machines at the gym at work. Pressing movements above my head seem to be out of the question as well. I'm not sure what the means for KB work either. Double sigh. I thought I had conquered -- or at least was winning the battle against -- what 2018 had thrown my way. But, one final middle finger from 2018 to me I guess. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Ack, sorry.Hope I heals quickly. Injuries are so frustrating.  Maybe with  doing less exercise you can get more sleep?

Christmas break has lead to plenty of sleep. Just a little bit too much of it in a chair. It's hard to lay down on my side in a bed. But, it should be better soon...I hope :D 

11 hours ago, jstanlick said:

Christmas break has lead to plenty of sleep. Just a little bit too much of it in a chair. It's hard to lay down on my side in a bed. But, it should be better soon...I hope :D 

Ugh, sorry. That's no fun

• Like 1