Jarric Runs the Year Out

Jarric

9 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Well done on the week so far Jarric.   Sounds like you are in a good mental place with the tasks at hand.    As one of those "don't drink the Kool-Aid" types; you have strict pull ups down, so while you train your kipping ones, never let that become a substitute for the real thing just for the sake of reps and time.   I understand they do different things and require different body mechanics, but - like all things, only if you train them to be done correctly.

I honestly don't disagree with a single word you said. Kipping pull ups shouldn't used as a substitute for strict pull ups but I do see one potential benefit from kipping pull ups, specific to @Jarric. One thing he struggles with when doing races is generating momentum with his body while hanging and kipping pull ups might actually help teach him how to do that better. 

They still shouldn't be used as a substitute. 

On 12/6/2018 at 2:09 PM, jonfirestar said:

I've only just got back from lunch and now I'm hungry again. Thanks Jarric! 

Mission accomplished :D .

On 12/6/2018 at 4:03 PM, Starpuck said:

And thus... you've done @tanktimus proud!  

Well done on the week so far Jarric.   Sounds like you are in a good mental place with the tasks at hand.    As one of those "don't drink the Kool-Aid" types; you have strict pull ups down, so while you train your kipping ones, never let that become a substitute for the real thing just for the sake of reps and time.   I understand they do different things and require different body mechanics, but - like all things, only if you train them to be done correctly.

/steps off soapbox.

:)

Now get  back to chopping wood with or without a kilt. 
Also - I'm curious now about the no pants thing.   I was super obsessed with Scottish history for a time, and learned all the truths about kilts -- that were then completely trashed when I went to big Highland Games in Ottawa Canada.   We sat ground level at the band tents, and the front section was kept clear for dancing. 

There were no pants.   DEFINITELY NO PANTS under those twirling kilts.

Don't worry Puck, I won't be dropping strict pullups any time soon. Not least because my bar at home hangs from a door frame, and I think I might rip it off the wall if I tried kipping on it! At the moment I'm more worried I might develop a habit of leaning back into my pullups like I would with ring rows, rather than going straight up.

I feel I need to ask on the kilts - was that a good thing? :P 

On 12/6/2018 at 4:19 PM, jonfirestar said:

I honestly don't disagree with a single word you said. Kipping pull ups shouldn't used as a substitute for strict pull ups but I do see one potential benefit from kipping pull ups, specific to @Jarric. One thing he struggles with when doing races is generating momentum with his body while hanging and kipping pull ups might actually help teach him how to do that better. 

They still shouldn't be used as a substitute. 

I hadn't really thought about that, which is daft given that this is exactly the kind of transferance I was looking for from Crossfit to OCR. There's definitely a coordination challenge with kipping which I need to master.

On 12/12/2018 at 12:31 PM, Mr_Willes said:

Crap i forgot to ask how your weekend has been... Though i could have probably read stuff on the chat. But that things goes by so fast, it's so hard to keep up!

It's alright, the weekend @jonfirestar, @Charlie_Quinn, @Rhovaniel and I are meeting up to climb and drink together is actually tomorrow. I'm sure we can post a few pictures on the chat for you.

On 12/12/2018 at 2:12 PM, DarK_RaideR said:

Been a while since the last update, don't you think?

On 12/12/2018 at 2:40 PM, Starpuck said:

I agree with @dark_RaideR!  ™

:)

Thanks for needling me to come back here guys (and thanks for chasing me on Discord too, I wouldn't have seen it otherwise). It's been a busy week, and a challenging one. I'll get an update together now.

• Like 3

It has been a really busy week. I won't bore you all with a blow-by-blow of every day, but here's the short version.

Friday I got up at 5am, went for a horribly early run, then got a train up to York (just shy of 5 hours) to watch the snooker UK Championships. Had a really brilliant day with Hopalong and The Captain, drank far, far to much, spent a couple of weeks worth of budget money, and then got the train all the way back Saturday morning.

Because of this I missed running on Saturday, so I would have had to do running and bouldering on Sunday. In the end I skipped bouldering and did my 11 mile run instead - even though I'd have more fun bouldering the long run is more important for me to do right now.

Monday I had a meeting in Telford, which meant leaving home at half 5 in the morning for a 10am meeting. It was a long long day driving there and back and having the meeting in the middle, and because I got up so early I had to miss morning Crossfit. I went to the evening Crossfit session instead - an interesting experience going whilst I'm awake and with a totally different crowd of people. I didn't enjoy it that much, but I think that might have been stress getting the better of me together with being surrounded by new people.

I've overslept twice this week - Tuesday and Thursday. Interesting that I can't haul myself out of bed on those days to run, but that I got up in time for Crossfit fine on Wednesday and today. What that means though is that I haven't run all week, which is pretty bloody silly given that I've signed up for an ultra-marathon OCR next year. I think I just need to snap the fuck out of whatever funk I'm in and get back on this.

Work is stressful at the moment - having Friday off and all day out at meetings Monday and Tuesday left me with a lot of work for the rest of the week and little time in which to do it. Add to that that it's Christmas, I haven't bought any Christmas presents and I'm slowly pushing more and more stuff onto my credit card which I've been working so hard to clear and I'm just... struggling. I'm going to stop moaning about it though, because I'm sure it's no more fun for you to read than it is to write, I guess that I just wanted to admit that I'm struggling at the moment.

I won't hit my mileage goal, though I'll get that number as high as I possibly can. I haven't tracked variances all week but I've had a lot. Pullups are going strong, though I'm not sure if I'm stronger for it. Budget is dead and buried.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Jarric said:

I hadn't really thought about that, which is daft given that this is exactly the kind of transferance I was looking for from Crossfit to OCR. There's definitely a coordination challenge with kipping which I need to master.

It was really only something I thought about as I was reading @Starpuck's post, even though you and I talked about it a fair bit during OCRWC and Fallout. I've been attempting to figure out how to do that with the monkey rings these last couple of weeks as well. Momentum, not kipping. 

11 minutes ago, Jarric said:

It has been a really busy week. I won't bore you all with a blow-by-blow of every day, but here's the short version.

I've had the impression that you've been really busy. I've got the opposite problem. I literally have nothing to do lol.Well I have a bunch of training videos to watch (which I put off so that I'd have something to do these next couple of weeks). 

• Like 1
On 12/14/2018 at 1:13 PM, jonfirestar said:

It was really only something I thought about as I was reading @Starpuck's post, even though you and I talked about it a fair bit during OCRWC and Fallout. I've been attempting to figure out how to do that with the monkey rings these last couple of weeks as well. Momentum, not kipping. 

I've had the impression that you've been really busy. I've got the opposite problem. I literally have nothing to do lol.Well I have a bunch of training videos to watch (which I put off so that I'd have something to do these next couple of weeks). 

Yeah, momentum is an odd coordination problem; I need to get down to Wild Forest with you to practice it.

I envy you your quiet time, I'm only going to get more busy and stressed until Friday!

Week 3 Wrap

Running - went poorly. I overslept and missed both Tuesday and Thursday's runs. Did Parkrun on Saturday, but then skipped Sunday (for reasons I'll explain below). I'm at 49.48 miles after 3 weeks; I should be around 75 to be on target :/ .

Food - ??? probably not great

Pullups - I had a bit of a lighter week at home and ended up skipping some, chiefly because I did lots of stuff at Crossfit and totally destroyed myself climbing Saturday. Still hit 86 for the week, which isn't the end of the world.

Budget - yeah right...

I had the most amazing day on Saturday, because it was a Ranger Christmas meet with @jonfirestar, @Charlie_Quinn & @Rhovaniel. We went climbing and had a really good laugh there (videos exist I believe), went out for a Christmas meal, exchanged secret santa presents (Jon got me running gels and powders and all those things I need to learn about for endurance races, which was excellent), and then went to a craft beer pub and got very very drunk. The pub drinking included us reading, and in my case dramatically over acting, this week's battle speech, which can be found in the Ranger Guildhall. We had such a whale of a time that everyone ended up missing their trains home, and so we all poured back to mine so that Charlie could sleep on my sofa, Rho could sleep on my floor, and Jon could sleep with a pizza.

The most amazing thing though was how comfortable and at ease I feel around these guys, bearing in mind we only really meet in person at races our aggregate real life time together has been pretty limited, but I feel like I've known them for years.

Anyway, after all of that, and a truly epic quest to find a fried breakfast the following morning, I was in no fit state to do any running or exercise on Sunday. I don't regret it, to be honest.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I'll have you know that pizza and I had a very deep and meaningful relationship.

I guess I just didn't realise how close the two of you were :P 

21 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I'm going to leave this here because everyone needs to go see our Ranger Vlog :D 

It's a shame the sound isn't clearer on this. Or possible a really good thing; I'm not sure which!

So, "how's week 4 going?" I hear your cry... silently.

Monday my shoulders and arms were absolutely wrecked from climbing. The obvious thing to do therefore was to hit Crossfit in the morning! We had bench, where I hit a new 5RM of 57.5kg (~126.5#), and a WOD of 8 minutes AMRAP of 5 plyo pushups and 5+5 kettlebell snatches. I got 7 rounds, which wasn't great compared to the rest of the class, but then I could have got another round or two if I'd have scaled to normal pushups and quite frankly I'd have been cheating myself if I did. I don't think I've even known upper body DOMS like it though!

Work was busy, though it is starting to drop off slightly as the week goes on. Monday evening I cooked a really good risotto and we ate it in front of Critical Role. I'm only part way through the latest episode, but can I just say...

Spoiler

Deborah Ann Woll is bloody fantastic

Yesterday I got up for my run, 1/2 mile warmup, 5 miles alternating fast and slow, and a 1/2 mile cool down. Fast miles were 9'08", 8'51" and 10'13" respectively. I probably could have pushed harder on these, although sometimes it's hard to judge running off-road and in the dark with a headtorch where the limit to my speed is not all down to fitness.

Yesterday evening I went to see Def Leppard on their Hysteria tour. It was a really cool gig, if slightly bizzare because they started by playing the Hysteria album in its entirety, which basically meant that all the big hits that they would usually end the show on were actually in the first 8 or so numbers. Got back home very late at 01:15, in bed about 01:30...

...and then up at 06:00 this morning for Crossfit. Hit a new max on Deadlifts today at 127.5kg (~280.5#) for 5 reps. Then 300ft heavy sandbag carries - I hit 75kg on that, but gave up on the 85kg attempt after the first 100ft.

On 12/19/2018 at 9:07 PM, Cheetah said:

They're re-touring that album?  I saw them on the Hysteria tour in '88.  It was a pretty good show.  :-)

Yeah, it was really good! Would have been great to see them back then though. I wasn't around in '87/'88 to see them tour it, so it was good to now (though I've actually seen them a few times).

• Like 1

Some highlights from the second half of week 4:

• Wednesday evening I went to Hopalong and MGs house to give their son his birthday present. Much fun and laughter and Chinese food was had.
  • After that I went and played some snooker and wished our team Captain a Merry Christmas
  • Thursday morning I decided to catch up on sleep and missed my run. It felt like a good idea at the time given all of the social stuff that's going on at this time of year. At the same time I don't like missing workouts, particularly when I know my opportunity to do them will be limited over the next week.
  • Thursday evening se had our Rise of the Runelords DnD game. We killed the big boss of this chalter in a really tense and difficult fight, and get to start the next chapter in the new year.
  • Friday morning was Crossfit. We made loads of changes to my squat form and it feels about a million times better, so I'm hoping that I can make some progress in it now.
  • Friday evening was our Crossfit Christmas night out. I was really nervous about this as it's a big social gathering and I'm pretty new and don't know people well. I eventually managed to force myself out of the house to go, and in the end I'm glad I did. After drinking a bit fast to start with out of nerves I had a great time and got to know the people I train with a bit better.
  • Saturday I had Parkrun, went Christmas shopping (because I'm so well prepared), and then chilled in the evening with WW.
  • Got my long run on Sunday, 13.5 ish miles. Legs felt like lead, maybe from Friday's squats, but I got to try out energy gels for the first time (they were a Christmas present from @jonfirestar ) and they certainly kept me going.
  • For fhe rest of Sunday WW and I wrapped Christmas presents and chilled out in front of High Rollers DnD. It was a nice relaxing day.
  • Week wise I hit 85 pullups, which isn't loads but it's something on a week where I've not been in much. Mileage I need to work out where I am still.

And this challenge is not yet over! I'll be running it right through to New Year's Eve eve, and hopefully I'll find time between festivities and working to post about it here too!

• Like 4

What a great week you've had amidst all the chaos the holidays bring!  Well done friend!  I am in serious awe of all the stuff you maintained doing during the week!

I am currently watching the most most recent CR as I write this. :)   I seriously can't get enough D&D... I think I need an intervention.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I seriously can't get enough D&D... I think I need an intervention.

Divine Intervention

Beginning at 10th level, you can call on your deity to intervene on your behalf when your need is great. Imploring your deity's aid requires you to use your action. Describe the assistance you seek, and roll percentile dice. If you roll a number equal to or lower than your Cleric level, your deity intervenes. The DM chooses the Nature of the intervention; the effect of any Cleric spell or Cleric domain spell would be appropriate. If your deity intervenes, you can't use this feature again for 7 days. Otherwise, you can use it again after you finish a Long Rest. At 20th level, your call for intervention succeeds automatically, no roll required.

:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
20 hours ago, Starpuck said:

What a great week you've had amidst all the chaos the holidays bring!  Well done friend!  I am in serious awe of all the stuff you maintained doing during the week!

I am currently watching the most most recent CR as I write this. :)   I seriously can't get enough D&D... I think I need an intervention.

Thank you Puck! It's going pretty well.

In the last 24 hours I've listened to Glass Cannon podcast, watched some of the Crit Role Night Before Critmas, posted in our PbP, read campaign logs on GitP forums, and looked up abilities for my Sorcerer/Cleric. I wore my new DnD themed hoody to work today. I don't think I'm the one to provide you with that intervention :P .

I can't wait to see the latest Crit Role though!

2 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Divine Intervention

Beginning at 10th level, you can call on your deity to intervene on your behalf when your need is great. Imploring your deity's aid requires you to use your action. Describe the assistance you seek, and roll percentile dice. If you roll a number equal to or lower than your Cleric level, your deity intervenes. The DM chooses the Nature of the intervention; the effect of any Cleric spell or Cleric domain spell would be appropriate. If your deity intervenes, you can't use this feature again for 7 days. Otherwise, you can use it again after you finish a Long Rest. At 20th level, your call for intervention succeeds automatically, no roll required.

:D

Ah, the hero we need!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Week 5 (or Christmas week as I like to call it) has been pretty good to me so far. Lots of drinking with friends and family, playing silly board games and generally having a laugh from Christmas eve to Boxing Day. Back at work yesterday and today, and then I'm off for the weekend and new year's eve and day.

Exercise wise it's obviously an awkward time. I hit a home workout first thing Monday morning, 5x5 pullups which went up much easier than they ever had done (I even added a 6th rep to the final set for fun), followed by 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 for time of thrusters, decline pushups and reverse lunges which took me 9:02 to complete. I used some old dumbells I have at home which are 16# of weights on a bar of indeterminate weight so I used those, and a dining chair for the pushups.

Tuesday was Christmas and I rested. Wednesday I went for a run, and only got slightly lost, getting around 5.5 miles. Yesterday evening I was back at home and managed to find a Crossfit slot that worked. We had 3 x 5 squats, where I hit 77.5kg (~170#) and after some changes to my form last week that felt really really solid so I'm excited to see this number finally going up again! We also did 3 x 300m row, which made me feel like absolute shit and like I was going to vomit - I guess that means it's a good workout! Times were 58.1", 59.5" & 59.6" in that order.

This morning I ran - was slightly short on time in the end so only managed 5 of my 6 miles, being a 2 mile warmup and 3 x 0.4mi intervals with 0.6mi rests in between. The fastest interval was at 8'47" pace, which is far too slow, so I need to work on pushing myself harder and judging the pace better.

Total distance for the challenge so far is 82.97 miles. I won't hit my goal of 125 miles by any stretch of the imagination this challenge, but with a bit of work I might just scrape 100 miles. Guess I've just found my new goal!

Finally, a question for the runners (particularly @jonfirestar and @Xena, but also anyone with an opinion) - my long runs for this challenge have been 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 miles respectively (I missed the 12, and the 14 will be this weekend); how do I program the next 5 weeks? I was thinking of deloading, but do I just drop to 11 and do +1 mile on everything, or drop to 10 but then have week 2 at 12/13 and work up from there, or does it really matter how I do it?

• Like 1
On 12/28/2018 at 12:50 PM, Jarric said:

Finally, a question for the runners (particularly @jonfirestar and @Xena, but also anyone with an opinion) - my long runs for this challenge have been 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 miles respectively (I missed the 12, and the 14 will be this weekend); how do I program the next 5 weeks? I was thinking of deloading, but do I just drop to 11 and do +1 mile on everything, or drop to 10 but then have week 2 at 12/13 and work up from there, or does it really matter how I do it?

@Xena might be in Antartica :)

Running deloads (or down weeks) act in much the same way as you'd do for lifting, except for a few small points. In lifting when you deload you'd cut back both volume and intensity but the general consensus over running is that you cut back on the volume but leave the intensity the same (i.e. If you have a planned interval session still do the intervals just less of them). The numbers I've seen floating around is to reduce volume between 20% and 50%

My current school of thought is to err towards the more extreme end of that scale and cut back my entire mileage by 50% (so if I ran 20 miles the previous week I'd only run 10 on the deload week). So what I would do is cut all of your runs back 50%, meaning your long run would only be 7 miles, and then pick it back up form 12-14 the following week. Progress as slow as you can while staying on track to hit your peak mileage before Oblivion (assuming you have an idea of what you want your peak mileage to be ;) ) 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Progress as slow as you can while staying on track to hit your peak mileage before Oblivion (assuming you have an idea of what you want your peak mileage to be ;) ) 

Thanks for the advice dude. I have no idea what I want my peak mileage to be to be honest!

Based on running 5 week cycles I'd peak mid-April and have 2 taper weeks before RRDW and Oblivion. If I work the long runs up by 1 mile per week, and increase the block by 1 mile each cycle, I'll only be at 17 miles on my last long run and a total of 32 for that week. That doesn't seem a high enough prior to a 50k? Maybe if I increase the blocks by 2 miles each cycle, which would get me to 20 miles for my last long run and 35 in that week, would be better?

Of course this is further complicated by some of my long runs being replaced by races.

• Like 1
On 12/30/2018 at 8:55 AM, Jarric said:

Based on running 5 week cycles I'd peak mid-April and have 2 taper weeks before RRDW and Oblivion. If I work the long runs up by 1 mile per week, and increase the block by 1 mile each cycle, I'll only be at 17 miles on my last long run and a total of 32 for that week. That doesn't seem a high enough prior to a 50k? Maybe if I increase the blocks by 2 miles each cycle, which would get me to 20 miles for my last long run and 35 in that week, would be better?

There is a very real argument for saying that you probably want to peak at around 20 miles or so for your long runs. Whilst training for MvL I peaked at only 35 miles a week with my last long run being 22 miles. So I cannot really argue that it isn't enough in order to pull off a sub 8.5 hour 50K, now can I? :) 

I'd say that you would probably be better prepared for the rigours of Oblivion if you have at least 1 20 mile run under your belt and the higher your overall mileage the better you'll do at the race itself. Nonetheless you should be trying to take that as slowly as you can and that sounds like a good plan. 

On 12/30/2018 at 8:55 AM, Jarric said:

Of course this is further complicated by some of my long runs being replaced by races.

Yeah it's a problem that we're all going to face. 

• Like 1

Challenge Wrap-Up

Run! - 5XP/15XP awarded

The plan here was to run 125 miles. With my long run on Saturday coming in at over 14 miles and a quick 5k on Sunday I finished on a total of 102.35, so 81.88% completion.

Other stats/thoughts:

• Of the 20 programmed runs for these 5 weeks I only went out for 15, so 75%
  • I missed 1 long run, 1 Parkrun, 1 interval and 2 tempo runs (though I swapped a tempo for an interval on boxing day because I felt like it, which skews that slightly)
  • Of the 7 weekday runs I managed (of a possible 10) I cut 3 short by 1 mile and 1 short by 2 miles, meaning I only did 3/10 full weekday runs

Overall not a great showing, but I'm giving myself 5XP because I still passed 100 miles and got most of my long runs in. I need to design a better running tracker for next month, because until I added the above up for this challenge I felt like I'd been much more consistent than I actually had. Christmas and lots of gigs got in the way of this a bit, so I should be able to score much better next challenge.

Pullups! - 9XP/10XP awarded

Generally GTG pullups went well, and I hit 10 or more per day on 31/35 days (88.57%). The days I missed were Christmas Day which I wasn't at home for and gave myself off, and a couple of others where I was feeling particularly fatigued and wasn't spending a lot of time at home. Weekly scores:

1. 111 pullups
  2. 102 pullups
  3. 86 pullups
  4. 85 pullups
  5. 102 pullups (includes an at-home workout on Christmas Eve with 5 sets of 5 pullups, but also includes having Christmas day off)

Very happy with this, and that 5x5 workout on Christmas Eve showed me how much my pullups have come on. Will be keeping a similar goal going next time around.

Eat Accountably! - 0XP/10XP awarded

I gave up on this a couple of days into week 2 and never got it back. I definitely ate a lot more snacks and Christmas treats than I should have, and whilst I feel like I balanced it ok it was too much work to keep up with logging it all. Which really just shows that it was too much stuff in the first place. I think I could manage this kind of strategy going forward as there'll be far less temptation hanging around, but there's something else I want to try for now.

Budget! - 0XP/10XP

Failed to track, definitely didn't hit my budget, and spent lots of money. Note to self, don't book to go to loads of gigs in December when you should be buying Christmas presents instead!

Overall I actually felt that this challenge went fairly well. Which is off because it quite clearly didn't in terms of my actual goals. I guess the good stuff comes down to the following:

• I really enjoyed Crossfit, and going to our gym's Christmas party helped me to feel more part of the community there.
  • I hit quite a lot of runs still, at a really busy time of year.
  • I had a breakthrough with some changes on my squat form and the weights are now flying up.
  • I had a really nice Christmas, despite having been dreading it when it was approaching it was great when it arrived.
  • I feel surrounded by wonderful people. I get to talk to a few crazy Rangers (and Assasins, and Multiclassers) on a regular basis, was able to drag a load of brilliant people down to my neck of the woods for a Christmas meetup and get to have fun in a D&D play by post with the others. Off the forums I have the beautiful Wonder Woman at home and a small group of great friends who support me.

And that, by virtue of the fact that I was almost there anyway, gets my to level 11.

• Like 1