• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tobbe

Tobbe catches up and pleases his wife

Last year I made a big list of all my to-dos and stuck it on my wall so it was always in my face. Worked reasonably well. You're making me want to do that again but I'm allergic to being productive...

• Haha 2

Had to complete the 1st Advent gift to my wife a couple of days early because she was starting to talk about buying the star herself...

20181129_212025.jpg.be588e45a52da0403a6b9686e52a0b45.jpg

So now it's all assembled, hooked up and hung in the window Star

• Like 1

Starting to catch up on my last week of "Tobbe eats like a...", which was my last challenge. This was a great week :D 

Tobbe eats like a Swede - day 1

Breakfast

20181119_084619.jpg.aeb00407288388308b2e634bf82ea49e.jpg

Sour milk/long milk with muesli and a cup of tea

This was pretty much my breakfast every day for almost five years when I went to university :)  I used different flavors of muesli, but this was my favorite one. I even brought out our old tableware for even more nostalgia :D Unfortunately they must have changed the recipe for the muesli some time during the last ten years since I last had it, because it wasn't quite as good as it used to be (used to have bigger pieces of the serials/grains and more papaya). 

Sweden I'd say this is a pretty typical Swedish breakfast. Sourmilk/Long milk or yogurt is much more common than just milk with the cereals. For an even more standard breakfast there would probably be a little less in that bowl, and instead there would also be an open faced sandwich or crisp bread with cheese or deli meat. But for convenience I usually just had this.

From wikipedia: Filmjölk (also known as fil), is a traditional fermented milk product from Sweden, and a common dairy product within the Nordic countries. It is made by fermenting cow's milk with a variety of bacteria from the species Lactococcus lactis and Leuconostoc mesenteroides. ... There is no single accepted English term for fil or filmjölk. In the United States it is referred to as 'long milk'. Fil and/or filmjölk has also been translated to English as sour milk.

Dinner

20181119_185625.jpg.6e4d3ba451ef5410c2e764b3951525b5.jpg

Pan fried boneless pork chop, pan sauce (made with a roux), broccoli and boiled potatoes.

The photo above is what I ate. Sweden More traditionally Swedish the plate would look like this:

20181119_185322.jpg.833ff464436979b15cd2ba26a92ec3f8.jpg

Sweden Four boiled potatoes is a standard serving size, but I'm not a big fan of boiled potatoes, but I do like roasted broccoli, so I switched two of the potatoes for broccoli instead. Sliced fresh cucumber and a tomato divided into slices are standard vegetables to serve with any meal. We call this dish "Meat, sauce and potatoes" and it's the most typical Swedish meal I could think of, and the most common meal mom served me growing up. She would just switch it up by serving it with different cuts of meat from pork or beef. The spice used is what we call "grill spice". It's a premade mix you can find in any grocery store, and we put it on everything from meat, to popcorn to crispbread (together with a thick layer of margarine or butter). I've never been a big fan of the latter two options, but it is pretty common :) Ohh, and the traditional drink would be a glass of milk, but I don't like the taste of drinking milk, so I go with just plain water.

• Like 3

Tobbe eats like a Swede - day 2

Breakfast

20181120_083128.jpg.11b1f9730d8dbda4d301a79ca550a6c3.jpg

Long milk and muesli

I :love_heart: this!

Dinner

20181120_185418.jpg.7fefc829a9635a0b3402f076611319bd.jpg

Spaghetti bake and carrots

Sweden This isn't a traditional Swedish meal. In fact, I don't think many Swedes would know the name of this dish. But it was one of my favorites growing up, so I just had to have it!

It's fried bacon, fried "falukorv" (a Swedish sausage) that you put in the bottom of a casserole dish. Then you top it with cooked spaghetti noodles. A béchamel sauce with fried unions is poured on top and finally you cover it with grated cheese before baking it in the oven until the cheese is crispy.

Here we served it with some carrot sticks, but when I was growing up I can't remember that we served this with any vegetables at all...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falukorv

Evening snack

20181120_213911.jpg.a35ad5d0be2ac68123093ef19a9e9cb2.jpg

Crisp bread with butter and cheese

When growing up my mom used to serve dinner already at 4:30 pm, so there was always time for an evening snack at around 8 pm. That would usually be an open faced sandwich, or crispbread. Always with butter (or margarine) and cheese or deli meat. Sweden If you mention "evening sandwich" to any Swede they will know exactly what you're talking about :) 

The cheese here is not just any kind of cheese. It's called "Herrgårdsost" (literally "Manorhouse cheese") and has to be produced in Sweden, following a specific recipe/method for it to be allowed to be called Herrgårdsost. It's the Swedish equivalent of "Swiss cheese".

• Like 3

Congratulations hanging up the star and for getting this thread so busy. I looked at the very first post a few days ago and thought "I'll get to reading it later when Tobbe updates it" and now it's 2 pages long, I've missed so much already. Is this thread meant to replace another one of your threads? I think you have three now. If you're going to update all three of them then I'll stay subscribed to all three. The breakfast picture looks like graham crackers, chocolate chips, and marshmallows to me, yummy!    

6 hours ago, Rubik'sCat said:

The breakfast picture looks like graham crackers, chocolate chips, and marshmallows to me, yummy!    

Haha this just goes to show the difference between American and Swedish thinking :P I can’t tell exactly but it looks like oats, some other grains, raisins and dried fruit. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rubik'sCat said:

The breakfast picture looks like graham crackers, chocolate chips, and marshmallows to me, yummy!

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

oats, some other grains, raisins and dried fruit.

Rolling on the Floor Laughing

Yeah, I think we can safely say @Mad Hatter is closer to the truth :) 

This is the ingredient list on the bag of müsli:

whole wheat bran flakes 32%,

dried pineapple 12%,

rolled oats 12%,

wheat flakes 10%,

raisins 10%,

roasted whole grain crisps,

rye flakes 7.5%,

barley flakes 6.5%,

dried papaya

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rubik'sCat said:

Is this thread meant to replace another one of your threads? I think you have three now.

My main focus will be my Battle Log and this challenge thread (for as long as this challenge runs). I might post one or two more posts in my old challenge thread to wrap it up.

Tobbe eats like a Swede - day 3

Breakfast

20181121_094858.jpg.0be570191ee9c5c8a0da17ce34cbed08.jpg

Long milk, oat cereal and strawberry jam

When growing up the most common breakfast bowl for me was long milk/sour milk with (Kellog's) corn flakes and homemade strawberry jam. Second most common was to have müsli instead of the corn flakes and jam. Sometimes though, when my parents wanted to give us a bit of a treat we got these oat cereals that are called "oat crunchs" or something like that, but everyone in Sweden Sweden just calls them "pillows", because that's what they look like :) Still had them with moms homemade strawberry jam. 

It was such a long time since I last had this that I couldn't even remember how much jam to use. This was clearly too much. The sweet jam overpowered every other flavor :P Better luck next time I guess :D 

Dinner

20181121_191937.jpg.bd3286efcf12e84aaedddbbd9cdee38d.jpg

Flying Jacob

Sweden This is a traditional Swedish dish that was invented 1976 by a man named "Jacobsson" in last name, and who worked in aviation - hence the name "Flying Jacob". It's grilled chicken, crispy bacon, bananas and peanuts in heavy cream + chili/tomato sauce. Served with rice and a salad. The salty bacon and peanuts with the sweet banana and the fatty cream... Love Eyes Yummy It was a very common dish for middle class Swedes to serve when entertaining/having guests over. Now it's a bit forgotten, but everyone still loves it whenever you serve it :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Sweden This is a traditional Swedish dish that was invented 1976 by a man named "Jacobsson" in last name, and who worked in aviation - hence the name "Flying Jacob". It's grilled chicken, crispy bacon, bananas and peanuts in heavy cream + chili/tomato sauce. Served with rice and a salad. The salty bacon and peanuts with the sweet banana and the fatty cream... Love Eyes Yummy It was a very common dish for middle class Swedes to serve when entertaining/having guests over. Now it's a bit forgotten, but everyone still loves it whenever you serve it :) 

This looks really cool, will try it tomorrow! :D

This one was better than the previous one! :) 

It's about social media detox, and how we all get (too) influenced by who we follow on social media, and how our body image is affected by all the photoshoped photos we see on Instagram etc

• Like 1

Some good points about how we as a species have evolved to be super good at putting on fat, and keeping it on, if we calorie restrict through diet.

So, be kind to your body and feed it enough, and it'll be kind to you :) 

I really appreciate your short little video reviews; I too have many videos and articles on similar topics to watch/read so it's awesome to see what you're working through too! Thanks for sharing :) 

I've watched some more YouTube videos

This one was pretty funny. Lot's of head nodding in recognition :) 

Another video about not being afraid of eating enough. Trust your hunger! More of a rant (as the title says) than actual facts

I have actually watched this video before, but I just watched it again. It's good, and I needed to hear her message again. It's about how you should stop counting calories, and what you can expect when you do that. Also a lot of pro Intuitive Eating talk.

This was a good video! A lot of it hit home for me. I've not been as extreme as what she's describing in the video, but I did recognize myself in a lot of what she was saying about relying on large amount of vegetables/salad and different drinks to feel full. And also how to stop that behavior, and what you can expect will happen when you do.

• Like 1

Tobbe eats like a Swede - day 4

Late evening meal

20181122_214200.jpg.17d8e112525d999bd370163b10a7a0c6.jpg

20181122_214241.jpg.7612d64ab2fc7db2b14136ffd047563f.jpg

Blueberry flavored long milk with "pillows"

So the original plan was to have this for breakfast, but my messed up sleeping habits made me skip straight for lunch. And so I had this breakfast meal for a late evening meal instead.

Sweden Flavored long milk did not exist when I was really young. It was introduced I think maybe like five years before I moved from home. But we never had it much at home because we used mom's homemade jam for flavor instead. But when I saw this blueberry flavored long milk on sale at the store I couldn't resist. It's so good! It's a special kind of long milk from northern Sweden that is extra sour. It's almost like you can feel tiny "bubbles" on your tongue, almost as if it was carbonated. I love it :) The blueberry flavor is great, and it has extra fat in it, so it's really creamy too Yummy

Tobbe eats like a Swede - day 5

Breakfast

20181123_110727.jpg.e85e4c848852ec47fac66b1ada1b0967.jpg

20181123_111552.jpg.78308c83f3c5123416188b687305260c.jpg

Long milk with müsli, open faced ham sandwich and cheese sandwich. A cup of tea.

Sweden The top image there is really the most typical Swedish breakfast I could come up with. Myself I prefer to have some veggies on my sandwiches, so I put that on before eating, but that is not what most would do.

Sweden Swedes always have butter (or margarine) on out sandwiches. This is what that looks like

20181123_112751.jpg.5d37486cc17cc3f3b72c97cc6318dff3.jpg

Matfettsblandning Ekologisk Extrasaltat 75%

A box of butter with a special "butter knife" made out of wood. To make the butter easier to spread straight out of the fridge it's mixed with a little bit of vegetable oil. Usually rapeseed oil. We like the kind with extra salt in it :) 

The cheese usually comes in a wedge form, like this:

20181123_112646.jpg.b04248949104f14f1800b51548b233c6.jpg

And we use a special cheese slicer to cut thin slices to put on our sandwiches

20181123_112720.jpg.3368036fa3e4f2d06fe68fa8218cb740.jpg

The cheese slicer was actually invented in Norway and wikipedia tells me that Sweden the average Swede eats 13 kg (29 lbs) semi-hard or hard cheese per year, most of it cut with a cheese slicer :) (If we don't cut it with a cheese slicer we grate it to put on food like pizza or gratins)