DaemonCorax chugs along

DaemonCorax

So I'm once again going out of town right at the end of this challenge - driving all the way to the east coast for Christmas with our families. But, I decided to put something, ANYTHING, in here because honestly I could use the encouragement.

Goals for this month are super stupid simple. Really this is where we're at ladies an gentlemen. Preggo week 16 will end Wednesday.:

Goal 1: Get to work before 9 am on non-climbing days. - I already blew it on this one today. I called my mom before work and got to work at 9:30. It doesn't really matter today because the particular division of lab work will have me here until at least 6:30. But still. If MFH aren't scooting to the climbing gym in the morning, I need to get out the door on time. One point for every day that I do out of a possible 5.

Goal 2: Pull-ups in the basement. Pretty simple. Fell pretty flat last challenge. One point for every day that I do some.

Goal 3: Quiet the mind and talk to someone. I've been super down. My brain chemistry is just not pleased with the current situation. (This is part of the reason I was late to work today.) I have a hard time bringing this up at my monthly check-up at the birth center, but I should probably talk more to other people (my occassional therapist, a good friend, my mom), so that it's not all dumped on MFH. On the road back from our trip this weekend I realized the only part of the day I enjoy during the week is riding my bike to work. No idea how to score this. Letter grade?

Goal 4: Prioritize and tackle tasks.  These tasks may be anything from things on my to-do list (schedule the ultrasound! omg!) to things that I've been meaning to do that will make me happy - like finding a day to lift. One point per thing. Limit to one thing per day so I don't stress to much about it.

Current challenge:This is not how daemoncorax used to wake up

Previous challenges: DaemonCorax doesn't go on vacation

(STR 21; DEX 3; STA 10.5; CON 8.3; WIS 15; CHA 2 - but these are SUPER out of date.)

While we have to stay away from the desert, we can always ride our bikes.

Tasks for this week:

1. Schedule the 20 week ultrasound.

2. Finish wrangling bike parking in the garage to be second-car-with-hitch-rack compatible. This has been a sore point between me and MFH. I can't actually do it by myself and he wasn't thrilled with how long the last changes took. This is like version 2.2. So the goal is not just to do it, but to do it without me being irritable and transferring a whole bunch of my discomfort into this task.

(STR 21; DEX 3; STA 10.5; CON 8.3; WIS 15; CHA 2 - but these are SUPER out of date.)

Also to cheer myself up (I should this more often):

On Tuesday I climbed both of these cracks completely clean. They're only 5.7, but they're JTree 5.7 and I was the only follower at the crag that day that didn't fall the hell off the one on the right at its early crux.

Hemingway wall: White Lightning (right) and Dung Fu (Left with a cave in it). Roughly 110 ft each.

499843.JPG

• Like 4

tenor.gif

I am seriously jealous of your crags!  Just want to be climbing all the time but I'm stuck smack-dab in the prairies and under several inches of wintry fluff.  :(

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

21 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

tenor.gif

I am seriously jealous of your crags!  Just want to be climbing all the time but I'm stuck smack-dab in the prairies and under several inches of wintry fluff.  :(

JTree isn't my home crag. Man I wish. It's a 14 hour drive from the Front Range (CO), but we have friends to crash w 4 hours from the house on the Western slope. MFH spent the week there for TG. It was also probably my last big climbing trip until I finish this whole pregnancy thing I seem to be in the middle of.

Although the Eldo pics in the previous challenge - THOSE are my localcrag.

Got out of work super late, so no grocery store until today. Oops. But MFH did come downstairs with me and I did do some shoulder exercises. After basically a 2 week break on pull-ups and some tiny-human weight gain I couldn't do a single one from a dead hang! :dispirited: I could do 3 before. So I put a chair under the bar and did some with a little assist. It sucked. But I really really need to keep in the range of motion steady. I think my biggest problem is that the lack of practice couple with ever-loosening joints means my "dead hang" is lower than it used to be, so it's harder to engage my back muscles from that position. I also have a decode-old torn tendon in the left one that hurts like hell when I don't keep everything else in shape. I'm hoping I can build back up to it in a week or so in spite of growing the monster at the same time. I also did high planks on the rings (they're hanging low right now). Man that burned. And I did push ups and some hip flexibility stuff.

This morning we hit the climbing gym for an hour and I rode to work from there (much shorter). I got 5 gym pitches of 5.10 and on fell once (on an overhang of course), and a crack lap. All in all that felt pretty good although my shoulders were tired.

In other trivia: Did you know that the "hang in there" cat cartoon dates back to the investigation of Spiro Agnew?! Thanks to being stuck in the car this weekend I got to hear all of the "Bagman" podcast. It's really good!

Original image adapted to depict me trying to do pull-ups

kitten-hang-in-there_a-G-13735625-0.jpg

Cheer myself up post Day 2 (or "make Rurik jealous day 2, whatever"):

I followed this clean on Friday. It was a three climb day - the only one of the week! (Which wasn't a big deal 4 months ago, but, sigh) The top crack is shallow 0.75s and disappears at the end. The slab game on JTree top outs must be strong. So fun! MFH got seduced by a big foothold that took him out of the top crack earlier and made the next move feel sketch. I tried it. And was so startfished out that I coudln't really go anywhere, so I jamed back in the crack and scooted up much more happily. You can't see the start in this pic, but it was a funny stem to throw into nice hand jams.

Joshua Tree: Toe Jam 5.7

3300034_medium_1494046287.jpg

5 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

Follow back! Haha the climbing stuff is all jargon to me, but it looks super cool!

Yeah. It's jargon-y. Lol.

This cheerily explains the heinousness of my favorite kind of climbing. But since I can't always climb there, there's other stuff too:

https://www.climbing.com/places/the-10-commandments-of-indian-creek/

ellison-20170330-03076.jpg

So I've been reading @Tanktimus the Encourager's challenge and revisited the NF Beginner Bodyweight workout. For those reading along who don't know it:

"After the warm up, here is exactly what you need to do:

• 20 bodyweight squats
  • 10 push ups
  • 20 walking lunges – 10 each leg
  • 10 dumbbell rows (using a gallon milk jug or another weight)
  • 15 second plank
  • 30 jumping jacks"

So I am going to try to put more structure into my basement time by brainstorming some stuff here. I don't want to do exactly the BBW because (1) pregnant and jumping jacks just....no. and (2) I need to specifically focus on some shoulder stuff beyond what the rows address. So, my version: The preggo climbber BBW. Lol.

• 20 bodyweight squats - this is mostly for mobility. Every now and then I would like to get in the gym with a barbell.
  • 5 strict pushups
  • 5 yoga progressions through 3 legged dog, knee to elbow, and the mid-plank asanas
  • 30 seconds ring plank
  • 5 chair-assisted pull-ups, assessing left shoulder health and clicking, going unassisted if possible
  • Bonus points for extra yoga

Do this 3 times. It is my hope that this will progress and I'll get back out of the "assisted" land of pull-ups. I would also like to get back to locked-off knees to opposite elbows in the next two weeks. I'm telling myself that if I get the form fresh again the strength is still there and I can re-establish good practice before my belly gets in the way. The knee rotations will probably be a bad idea in the 3rd trimester because it is a crunching motion that may risk ab separation.

At the end of this challenge I will be without rings and pull-up bar and will have to adjust. So I have 3.5 weeks to get my mojo back!

• Like 4

Welp.

I just did 2 reps of the first three of these things in my office while waiting for MFH to finish up his work.

I took short breaks. The 5 rotations of my version of a yoga salutation..... I can't do 5 continuously. I did 2 and then 3. Phew. Huh. Damn.

• Like 1

Ahem.

h263ED306

That bodyweight workout I posted? Maybe a little overachieving. This morning I did the second block of exercises (the two requiring my basement) 3x and it was ok. But the little connecty things in front of my shoulders are definitely talking to me about the evening office run through of the first block 2x. That whole relaxin/hormone thing? Yeah. I gotta counteract that in my shoulders by strengthening all those tiny little stability muscles that PTs talk about so much I think. I'm going to stick with this workout in two blocks thing though. If I can do the first block at work thorughout the day 3x, and the second block in the basement, I think we're getting somewhere.

Very demoralizing.

But I can hold a high plank with the rings hanging only maybe 18" off the floor for 30 s. Phew. It looks like this. Except that's not me. Obviously. I can feel my abs shake when I do this though. I think all the ligaments moving around have thrown them for a loop. Strengthening in these static positions is great and should be safe.

skimble-workout-trainer-exercise-ring-al

No bike ride today. The trees were blowing sideways at my house and I have rules about riding in winds over 35 mph. 8.5 miles in a headwind is no fun, but getting blown into the traffic lane is even less so.

Tonight: @Salinger inspired me. I'm roasting sweet potatoes and veggies in one pan, and chicken thighs in another (I want to share with my veggie roommate). Nom. Also, super fast prep and I have time for basement ninjaing.

• Like 1

Day 3 of cheering myself up:

Getting swept up in the Momoa stoke on the other challenges (@Rurik Harrgath) , I came across this: Jason Momoa climbs. And Boulders. In mocs. Woot.

Jason-Momoa-Rock-Climbing-Video.jpg

https://www.climbing.com/videos/savassona-bouldering-with-chris-sharma-and-jason-momoa/

Also Lisa Bonet in Hi-fidelity was totally my crush senior year.

EDIT: I WANT to do my circuit this afternoon, really I do. But my ass is getting kicked by my own stomach. Someone here remind me: NO CHAI. Tea does not agree with tiny parasite and now everything hurts. ) Today's milestone: Week 16 in the books.

10 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

Getting swept up in the Momoa stoke on the other challenges (@Rurik Harrgath) , I came across this: Jason Momoa climbs. And Boulders. In mocs. Woot.

You need to check out his Instagram.

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

K. So don't Google "sad cat gifs" while hormonal. Just don't.

This morning has been rough. Like "stand in the parking lot at the climbing gym and cry" rough. (Yes, I got hugs. Yes, I still had to go to work, so here I am.) My mood has been pretty good this week and my sleep has been a little better, so this morning feeling irritable and screwed out of choices just felt weird and out of place. Yesterday evening at work I started my little circuit. The squats were fine but when I got into plank for push-ups, the tiny little stabilizing things near my deltoids just HURT. I think the climbing/pull-up bar/rings/circuit combo was overdoing it a bit. So I stopped and decided that it was "Rest day" (Even though I had done the pull-up bar and rings part of the circuit in the morning.)

This morning was climbing gym. After feeling my shoulders a lot bouldering, my feet slipped near the top of the first route of the day. Even on top rope, I caught myself reflexively. Not great. Hormones+pain+frustration=crying. Quietly. But still. Sat on the floor for a bit before getting up to belay MFH and continue with the day. I fell off my next route too, but that at least made more sense. Still. High gravity day at the wrong time. To top it off I overheard a conversation while changing shoes that made me violently angry (although I walked out before saying anything).

**warning. RANT**

Spoiler

Girl climber and tall dorkface were talking about trouble of belaying people of different weights. The gym has little sandbags for lighter belayers to clip into - I don't, even though MFH are usually separated by 40 lbs, because, well, that doesn't exist outside so I need to learn to catch him!. Anyway, dorkface hefted it and said it weighed about 20 lbs. Girl has been talking about her weight - she's of slender build without a lot of mass and fairly light. She says something like "well maybe they're assuming women weigh around 140". Dorkface says "well, maybe in Mississippi." The implication, while she's watching me out of the corner of her eye, and he's oblivious, is that 140 is huge and squishy and terrible. I wanted to stab him (my choice words to MFH outside were much worse and involved sideways baseball bats). I actually turned around and stared at his back for a minute before walking out. I made MFH go back in for my forgotten coffee mug because I was too mad. I think she caught that there was a woman next to her changing clothes that might weigh 140. I think he has no clue. About anything.

For reference, my pre-pregnancy weight was around 137. I pack on muscle mass. I carried our 85-lb haul bag 2.2 miles down from the top of a bigwall in June. I deadlifted 175 x3 off the couch in August. I am 5'7" and had some serious abs up until recently. They're actually still there on my non-bloated days. At 4 months pregnant I've switched to loose tomboy-ish pants and exclusively wear sports bras, but unless I'm exhausted and slouching, there's nothing about me that looks "pregnant" unless you had seen me without a shirt 4 months ago. Right now I weight roughly 145. This guy very narrowly missed getting cussed out and possibly assaulted by a angry-crying pregnant woman at 9 am.

So yeah. So angry at judgemental people. So angry at a culture that thinks I should accept this all slipping away because of a myth that it's "good for the baby." I'm sorry. Losing a part of myself and my mental health along with it will never be good for anyone. Oh. And I forget things now. Great.

tenor.gif?itemid=5468840

Clearly this is a Goal #3 fail today. Need moar hugs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The workday has sort of been better? My colleague and I have been going around and around (in a friendly way) about a calculation error I found from a couple years ago (before I worked here) that was making my current data analysis an absolute mess. It's nice getting lost in stuff like this right now.

Day 4 of cheering myself up....eh. So this is actually a picture of me top roping, but cleanly climbing a 5.10+ thing in Moab. This is my favorite kind of climbing. We climbed here the weekend before I found out I was pregnant. We climbed all over this buttress, including one climb to the left and the two to the right (which makes loads of sense if you click the link!)

Texas Two Step 5.10b

https://www.mountainproject.com/route/105717604/texas-two-step

EDIT: In looking at this picture again I realize I must be setting up the rappel after finishing the climb. No way there would be two strands of rope otherwise!

<IMAGE DELETED>

I finished work early today! Like 4:30 instead of 7!

Just as I was contemplating riding 6.8 mi to MFH's work (in the dark, uphill, very tired, belly knotted) rather than derping around here before meeting him at the hw store at 6, he called to say he's done early too. (Or stuck waiting for stuff until tomorrow.).

Win for me. Tonight there will be roast sweet potatoes and chicken that got delayed yesterday. @Salinger and @Tanktimus the Encourager have had me in teh cooking mood, but it's been migas all week so far because of dumb hours.

• Like 2

Proof of an evening well spent. And the passing out hardcore on the couch.
IMG_6036.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Crying while sportsing again. Yep. That's the recipe.

Friday I went into work late - just the way it worked out, so 1/3 opportunities this week to get to work before 9. I did the basement equipment part of my circuit, and it went a little better. I was able to go from the ring plank to a wide push-up. It's still way more effort than it should be though. Workday was a wash because the lab equipment wasn't cooperating. I had a chance to surf for daycare options at the end of the day - ooooooh that's gonna be a mess.

Anyway, Sat afternoon MFH and I went to a new singletrack park near our house. I rode the easy line a few times and he kept telling me the medium line was great. My hips and right leg were getting tired riding down with my seat lowered, but I tried it. I suspected it would be my last run of the day and I was right. It was faster and super smooth, but my brain just wouldn't check in. My body had the reflexes to just eat the bumps and keep from going airborne, so really I rode it better than normal of my brain had engaged and gotten scared. But I had to internally yell at myself to look along the trail. "The bike goes where you look." I cried at the bottom because my hips hurt from holding me stable and because I had had to fight my head so much to get it in the game. It was a great run and I'll ride it again, but the experience was definitely one of the weirder ones I've had recently. Went home. Had pie. Netflix, couch, cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, I'm late getting here, but I wanted to start off by saying that I think you're astonishingly strong for continuing to go to the gym and work out and push yourself to be your very best even with all the constant and unpredictable changes of pregnancy ... pregnancy is just TOUGH AS YUCK and you keep showing up for life and training, even when your body and mind are feeling stretched out and tired and unhappy. I'm so impressed by you!!

Don't forget in the midst of the craziness to give yourself a little grace from time to time - it's totally okay if you have less energy than normal, if you find some activities harder now that your joints and muscles or changing, or if your feelings don't make sense from day to day (or minute to minute!!). Your body is working 24/7 on a job that requires a lot of energy and it's totally okay if you have to adapt to that. This season of life is temporary - your baby will be born before you know it, and then you can start to feel like you're in control of your body again. 

I'm rooting for you and I'm wowed by you!!

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

Aw thanks.

MFH and I had a pretty involved conversation about things yesterday - partly because when I get upset and cry a lot he knows how to handle it, but when I get snappish and aggressive, well, no one wants to be around that. It is universally true that having kids changes your priorities and demands compromise in other parts of your life. I think the reason that this has been hard for me is that there are some things I have a harder time on compromising with than other - I'm a-ok with the fact that I didn't got for a tenure track job and a major research university last year because having kids in that job would be a living hell. I'm ok with the fact that buying a house in our area and having a kid has locked me into NEEDING to keep having a full-time engineering job that pays well. (As opposed to doing freelance programmer work, not owning a house, being able to take more time off with the tiny human, etc. He has a well-paying job too, but I have the higher salary and all the insurance, so I have to stay full-time.) I'm ok with a lot of these changes to the landscape - some I will enjoy and some I won't. But I've always done hard stuff athletically. My body was always the tool I could count on to help me with my mental health when I needed it. So now with hormones messing with my head, little things as simple as my shoulders (especially my injured left) hurting and misbehaving add up. And the preggo brain thing is REAL! I can lead a climb and leave a car door open at the grocery store the same day. So yeah. I guess I just wanted to give a little context as why these physical challenges are such a big deal. I'm a terrible patient. I need to move.

Yesterday we went to a different climbing gym closer to our house - post-kid we'll probably spend more time there. It's a cool place, with kids of all ages running around amidst the adults. The routes are taller than the place near work that we have a membership at. I got 10 pitches in, all between 9 and 10c. I fell off twice or so, but it went pretty well. Then we wandered over to the bouldering area, I did one problem, and went up to MFH and said "I need food." Food was had, followed by garage chores (bike repair, setting up a new table saw), and flopping on the couch. I got really grouchy loading the table saw in the car - I was cold and tired. I said as much and then tried to not be any more irritable than that. If I leave any energy on the table at my workouts, there's a feeling that I didn't do enough, I'm not done. If I use it all up, then I'm a total zombie. Zombies do no belong at Home Depot.

Week 1 round-up:

Goal 1: Yeah this just isn't happening. But I've been working late because of my staggered schedule w my colleagues, so I'm not skipping hours. 1/3 non-climbing days achieved. D

Goal 2:  This has morphed a little. The 3-exercise bodyweight circuit getting worked in is good support for the pull-ups and rings. So I'm just trying to make sure I' always chipping away at this. A-

Goal 3: Better? This overlaps with last challenge's goal of not being a jerk to MFH just because I'm not feeling great. C

Goal 4: I scheduled the ultrasound for right before Christmas, and we got the garage/bike situation handled. A!

Goal 4 for this week: follow up with daycare options. Do some tours and get one waitlists - yeah. really. waitlists. FOR EVERYTHING! ><

Thanks for the support. Writing stuff down DOES help. I come from a previous relationship where there was LOTS of gaslighting, so this gets a little weird. The emotions are real, but the cause for them is a mixture of true concerns and brain chemistry run amok. They're REAL, but they're skewed out of perspective.

I feel like in the past 4 months I've gone from the left image to the right one. (The left image is Pamela Shanti Pack, and the right one is, well, probably not me....).

984cfa8608546756c3b6328bf511a413.jpgcatinbed3.jpg

• Like 1