DaemonCorax chugs along

Besides the near meltdown over not having the right kind of breadcrumbs in the house, last night was ok. Context: friends of mine had a baby this weekend and didn't arrange for people to bring them food. So this week I'm just doubling what I cook and taking some to them. Last night was mac and cheese, but I wanted a crumb topping on theirs so they could bake it to reheat. Derp. MFH went to the store at 8 pm to rescue me. Or to get me to stop moping around the kitchen about breadcrumbs. Whatever.

This morning was a struggle. We got to the gym a little before 8, but my body just didn't want to cooperate. Out of the gate was only a 5.9 but overhanging the whole way. Sustained movement on overhangs is getting harder. I don't think it's the weight so much as it's my body just not wanting to give that much oxygen to my upper half.

I'm repairing my feelings with a lunch bowl of rice and leftover roasted chicken thigh, sweet potato, baby tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic and herbs. I may or may not have had pie and coffee for breakfast.

I did take a step in the right direction and apologize to MFH for snapping at him when he asked me about moving my shoes while I was in the middle of a yoga progression post-climb. Yes. Really. THAT'S why I snapped at him.

My shoulders seem to be responding to constant exercise too. The downward dog to midplank to upward dog progression isn't making my left shoulder yell anymore.

Still need hugs.

• Like 1

Day 5 of cheering myself up:

In the first week of June 2018, MFH and I climbed this. Roughly 1200'. We spent 2.5 days doing it. It was beautiful. June 2019 will see me probably with a 2-week-old. Probably not climbing. Hopefully hiking. The goal is to go on a little bouldering trip or climb desert things in Grand Junction by September. (We have close friends in GJ to stay with so we will have plumbing and shelter for dealing with the tiny one.)

Lunar Ecstasy, Zion Nat'l Park. 5.10 C2 Grade V

LunarEcstasyMap.jpg

• Like 2

Had a little bit of a lunchtime pick-me-up today. The woman who literally wrote the book on crossfit while pregnant runs a gym/box in my town, right down the street from where I work. A few weeks ago I had emailed her about getting training advice, and today I met with her at lunch. I'm going back next week for a shoulder/back specific training session. It remains to be seen whether I'll actually start going to her gym - it depends a lot on the weather and if we get so much snow this winter that I lose my bike ride. Online and in-person the lifting and crossfitting community seem better informed, more accepting, and less restricting that the rest of the country at large when it comes to pregnant women training. Crossfit costs a LOT of money, and I'm not sure I have time to dedicate to a new gym while still climbing, but the advice and the shoulder stuff next week are huge. My climbing gym has barbells and stuff upstairs, so I may just give myself a more structured plan for using that space several times a week. My climbing gym membership is $70/mo and the crossfit gym is $185/mo. The main reason I would join crossfit is for the community and for the structure. I CAN kinda afford both, but it runs against my financial comfort zone - we're trying to rebuild the emergency fund and make sure we're ready for day care costs so.... Yeah. On the other hand, if it's super snowy and icy out this winter and I'm not biking much and my mental health needs a serious shot in the arm, I'm gonna go.

• Like 1

This (like everything else these days, lol) made me choke up. But in a good way. I encourage all women facing a "what should I do" moment to watch. Seeing the woman in the video pulling weight plates while everyone non-pregnant was running made me really happy. In a way it also speaks to how anyone can work around something like an injury or a training lapse to still build a strong foundation anyway.

• Like 1

Things that made me happy today:

Hit the climbing gym in the morning. Only had time for 4 routes plus a crack lap because I wanted to get upstairs to the weight room.

Thing 1: Front squat 45x5 - just a little warm-up set to look at my "midline stability" as I hear it's called.

BS 75 5x5 - this felt easy, but I really wanted to make sure my form was good and my knees weren't caving.

Did some inverted rows on the TRX webbing things, some hangs, and excruciating negatives.

Thing 2: Rode the 2.5 miles to work while it was still snowing. Studded 37mm very knobby tires on my singlespeed road bike crunch along in a friendly crackly way on the packed snow (and possible ice) on the paths.

Getting back on the weights and meeting with Nicole has given me a real motivation boost. I'm standing at my makeshift plywood desk for the first time in weeks in an attempt to retrain my posture. She called me "trap-y." Lol. As in my traps are big for my size, and way too tight. I makes sense that I lost my lats first in first trimester exhaustion - they were the hardest to build, the last to arrive, and not a place my body usually keeps muscle. Abs and arms have generally been the non-road bike muscle mass that sticks as my base. MFH is the opposite - off the couch his back muscle is ridiculous, but he loses front-core and pecs first when we dial things down. Bodies are funky machines.

• Like 4

Things that made me happy today:

Thing 1: I was only 8 minutes late to my morning meeting in spite of sitting down on the couch with the cat and then riding in. My ride with studded tires is a little slower, but really its the "getting stuck" on the couch wiht the cat part of the morning that is my kryptonite.

Thing 2: Non-maternity maternity clothes. Thank you American Eagle Outfitters. These guys have been selling me inexpensive skinny jeans for years. I just got two of their men's crewneck sweaters for work - they're loose everywhere they need to be, but still look neat and adult in a way that an old hoodie never will. I also am retiring some super old leggings that I bike in under my pants in the cold - they're too faded and see through and blown out to wear alone in the gym, and the waist band has stitching that bites me when I'm riding. So AE leggings with soft fuzzy insides. I really hate consumerism, but clothes that make me comfortable at work and on my bike without being very expensive are a huge deal. I haven't told my work yet, and I've had a lot of days of feeling very uncomfortable and frumpy. So yeah, 2 $24 sweaters and some $20 leggings are just what the doctor ordered.  Also, one day someone needs to explain to me why men's sweater are made of so much nicer knits than women's?????

Thing 3: Today is the second day in a row I have the energy to use my standing desk. (A huge piece of plywood on Xerox boxes on my regular desk.) My posture and shoulders are thanking me for it. This is a nice contrast to the fact that last night EVERYTHING hurt. Not "workout sore muscles" hurt, just hurt. Swollen, rearranging, stiff, hurt. Ugh.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Way to ranger it and bike in the snow! Woot for using the standing desk.

Thanks! Yesterday was more snow than today. The road I ride into town (on non-gym mornings) gets a lot of sun, so when I rode Monday and today there were only some places that were snowy. But in town, the bikes paths, while plowed(!), are covered in packed snow, dust of snow, a bit of ice, you name it. My studded tires are great for this. The snow that always gets me stuck, on this bike or my mtn bike with the 3" tires, is the "mashed potatoes" of snow pushed around by cars, and the refrozen chunks that hide in it. Packed down real snow (which doesn't happen uniformly here very often) it great to ride on - I used to so it a lot the year I live in central PA.

Studded tires are slow and don't corner very well, but I love the peace of mind they bring. With so many sore spots in my body right now, I really don't want to wipe out and add bruises to the mix. I fall well, and I don't have a big belly yet, so I wouldn't hurt the baby. But it would still be hugely no fun.

• Like 5

I just loved that video!! I saw an ad for baby slings one time that was showing women pursuing their careers and dreams while also keeping their babies safe and close to them while they worked; and it gave me so many warm fuzzies and this did the same thing.  :) 

I'm glad you've been feeling well enough to use the standing desk, and I hope that helps you work out some of the kinks during the day. You're doing awesome!!

Today was a win I needed.

Yesterday was rough. Friday night we went to a little social gathering with friends and I totally ran out of extroversion. Was tired and super upset feeling all day yesterday. We didn't go to the gym, just ran errands. Blah.

Today I went snowshoeing w MFH. We didn't put the snowshoes on until about .7 mi in where it got deeper. We did 8 miles roughly, going from about 9100 ft to 10200 ft. As usual the first 10 min my lungs noticed we were up! And my body would not let me push super super hard, but still not shabby. I even got to run a bit. Running in snowshoes is silly fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I wanted to post a 6 sec video of me running in my snowshoes for comic relief, but there wasn't a super convenient link. I'm pretty sure "running in 25" snowshoes at 10k ft" is on someone's list of things not to do 17.5 weeks pregnant, but it was great. MFH had other ideas. He still doesn't like snowshoeing, so he bought some nordic ski boots immediately after. Yay! I grew up with a lot of time on crosscountry skiis and he alpine skiis. Now we have two complete nordic backcountry setups! He's going to teach me how to go downhill and I'm going to teach him about kickwax and it's off to the races.

Today has been uneventful. Rode to work. Totally not on time because hanging out with the roomie. (Yep! 3 people serve the needs and desires of the cat!)

Goal 1: Get to work before 9 am on non-climbing days. - Lol. 2/3 non-climbing days actually. Not on time Monday. On time Wednesday because we did a daycare tour. 8 minutes late Friday, but I'm counting it. B-

Goal 2: Pull-ups in the basement. This continues to be elusive, but the support work and return to lifting seems to help. I did 10 push-ups today for the first time in a while. Totally different motion, but it means my upper body is happier. The bodyweight circuit I gave myself needs more tweaking - the yoga part isn't really as useful as I would hope. C

Goal 3: Quiet the mind and talk to someone. This is going a little better. I talked to my dad briefly and that was nice. I've been mostly nicer to MFH, but I still get gripped with worry about upcoming relatively small things. B-

Goal 4: Prioritize and tackle tasks.  Got our first daycare visit under our belts and filled out paperwork. Filled out the forms to up the life insurance. Ripped teh Bandaid off today and told my incoming boss the pregnancy news - it went so well! (In spite of stressing me out.) He and my old boss need to talk about workloads and project planning for next year, so he needed the information. A

• Like 4

Daemon, btw- Your awesome!

I see you were a little less active when I was posting a lot last year.  but we have some things in common.  I live in Pennsylvania and have gotten into Rock climbing.  I think you're a great person to follow for this, as its clear your a great climber.

ofc, choices ARE limited here in NW pennsylvania; I'm far away from any city that I'll gratefully appreciate my local small YMCA wall.  

OTOH;  its Not well known to all the world, but Pennsylvania has some decent bouldering;  and there's a pretty good local craig and lots of virgin rock around too...

I briefly visited Denver last May so I saw some of your local sights.   hiked MT Green outside of boulder and spent a few hours at a Real nice climbing gym in Aurora.  (boy do I wish a place like that was feasible where I live)

anyways, I really appreciate your posts.  I'm trying to stay motivated to continue climb; sometimes the gym feels too small, and all the great climbs are too far away.   its easy to get off-the-program and so much harder to get back to it!

I also think its really, really admirable to keep up the routine during pregnancy

I find your posts Really inspirational.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words TGP. I came back here because the past few months have been such a mindwarp.

I totally crashed Monday night. I wasn't a grouch or anything. I got out of work running on fumes and found some weird energy that got me to cook migas. I finished my food and just felt sick and exhausted. There have been several nights I fell asleep on the couch while MFH does the dishes and make it all the way to dreaming [emoji849]

Yesterday: Bouldered for 40 min or so then hit the weights:

FS 45 x5
BS 75 2x5 and 80 3x5

Then I met with Nicole the Crossfit coach. At 4. Not at lunch. Which is when I showed up to the gym the first time. *facepalm* more on this visit later! For now: need to finish making lunches.

• Like 4

Ok. So about the afternoon. Today is a rest day. I accidentally had two one-hour workouts yesterday. Climbing gym and weights in the morning, rode to the crossfit gym at lunch and back (because I screwed up), and then left work early to ride there at 4. Where I had another 1 hr workout.

The coach I met with was going to talk to me about safe movements in pregnancy, but what it turned into was a form check on my squats and deadlifts and the assignment of some pretty big exercises to make my shoulder super strong, preggo or otherwise. She said the scap is this smooth muscle that really doesn't get much work in day-to-day life, which is probably why I lost mine in my exhaustion weeks, oh, 7-14 or 15. Derp. Also, it was the last muscle for me to get strong as a climber, so it left first. Oddly enough my legs are still fine. (running, then road biking, then lifting and biking, it's almost like they have decades of muscle memory...)

She was great. She gave me some ring rows and push-up with a special shoulder engagement step. Then she showed me how to use a box and some props to keep doing push-up when my belly gets too big. No excuses here! Phew! She showed me a few other things I can do at home with a resistance band (I'm sure I have one somewhere) and the pull-up bar, rings, and stacked crash pads in my basement. She wants me to do barbell rows too, which I've always struggled with. It was so nice that the words "don't do that you're going to regret it" never came up. She didn't treat me like I was about to explode or break. Obviously, no crunches or anything, but these big compound lifts that require static core strength are completely cool to do.

The form check was interesting. She wants me squatting wider and deadlifting narrower.  Oops. Still, nice to get a trained set of eyeballs as I delve back into my lifting ways. Today I'm not locked up with serious DOMS, but I'm a bit sore and tired. She pushed me in a good way. 

Next up: I'll have to explain "monkey taps" to you all. It's a crazy good shoulder thing.

I made a big pot of meat sauce last night with a pile of zucchini, red pepper and a yellow squash thrown in. And proceeded to start falling asleep immediately after finishing eating. The thing is, tired because of exercise is GOOD tired. Tired because stationary and sick is terrible.

• Like 4

Emotional stuff post:

One of the ideas that I hear getting kicked around about being pregnant is something to the tune of "if you surrender to the process everything will be better." First of all, nope. If my brain chemistry just hates the hormones, taking a deep breath, getting a hug, and remembering it's temporary only goes to far.

Second of all, WTF DOES THAT MEAN? I accept that my body has been hijacked, but only to a point. I accept that shortly I won't be able to see my feet to rock climb outside, but that doesn't mean I won't find other things to do. One of the good points about this is that I have realized just how relentless I am in finding hard things to do, both to be strong and to try to cheer myself up. What is the difference between acceptance, surrender, and giving up on things that are important? Why does so much of our culture expect women to come out the other end of this saying "at least I have my baby" regardless of the collateral damage?

My mom said the other day, quite helpfully, that not only do women lie about pregnancy (something passed on to me from a good friend), but that a lot of women (or possibly people) lie about how important how they feel about their bodies is to their self esteem. The metric for what makes them feel positively may be different (running fast, looking good in a dress, deadlifting 350 lbs, whatever), but the importance is rarely given its due. Why can't we just be honest?

And yes, the opening phrase about surrender came roughly from my MIL via MFH (and I didn't kill him for it). She is a wonderful, warm, and loving human, but we are wired quite differently.

hC4BC291D

• Like 4
6 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

Emotional stuff post:

These are some REALLY good thoughts and hopefully helpful. Women in general are expected not to complain too much about what goes on with our bodies - it's kind of like the highly sanitary ads for period products. We're wired to minimize our symptoms and just carry on without making a big deal out of them. But in this case, literally your entire body is changing while you incubate an entire human being; and you deserve to process that and take care of yourself in whatever way you need to. I'm so glad your coach is supportive too!!

• Like 2

Ugh.

Went home from work early because I didn't feel well. Dropped these really old skis off to get 75 mm bindings put on - THAT cost more than expected.

I felt burbly and painful all evening. Got some work done on the couch. Woke up at maybe 4:30 in more pain. I'm hoping riding to work reorients my tummy and makes it feel a little better. I have a stupid high pain tolerance, but I couldn't move this morning. It's definitely stomach related, so I'm not freaked out, but I feel like hell. Maybe this little parasite has decided to do backflips.

Riding helped. Eventually. The first couple miles were aggressively unpleasant AND I had brought my laptop and notebook home last night, so that was an extra 6 lbs on my back.

Now I'm sitting at work in a comfy new men's sweater and slouchy pants and feeling exhausted but less burbly. I really just want to go back to bed.

• Like 3
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:22 AM, DaemonCorax said:

cook migas.

What are Migas?

Glad the CrossFit coach was so helpful! She sounds amazing. I like your approach to your pregnancy. Figuring out what things you can do and enjoying them are great ways to keep you healthy physically and mentally. I feel similar about growing older. So may people just say well that's part of growing older, you can't sit on the floor, your joints always hurt, etc.You should just accept it . But I didn't want to accept that, and  want to push to see what I can do. Yes, as you get older there are limits (like in pregnancy) but the truth is our bodies are really amazing and way more capable than people realize

• Like 2

Migas (Mexican breakfast version. There is also something Spanish called migas):

Fried corn tortillas, chorizo, hatch green salsa, 6 eggs, and a bunch of shredded cheese. Bonus points if crumbled queso fresco is added. Eaten with warm bread and sliced avocado. Stupid simple and oh so delicious.

Migas are generally accepting of leftover roasted veggies, meat, fresh peppers, onions, tomatoes, or whatever tasty bits are in the fridge, not just chorizo. The other ingredients are pretty standard. Choose your own salsa. I couldn't find a recipe I was crazy about to link to. I cut my tortillas down before I fry them and then just scooch them over to the edge of the pan to cook the sausage. Don't underestimate the amount of olive oil (or whatever) you need for the tortillas - otherwise they will be floppy. I beat the eggs an salsa together, dump them in the skillet and then add the cheese after everything is combined and cooking along nicely.  Is it clean eating? Oh hell no. Does it beat the heck out of a sodium-full pre-prepared thing? Yes. Indubitably.

This image is roughly accurate even if the recipe wasn't quite in line with what I do:

migas-420x278.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement :)

And this:

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

our bodies are really amazing and way more capable than people realize

I've always believed that there are so many people out there who are just brimming with potential that most of us, in our day-to-day patterns will never explore.

• Like 2