• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jupiter

Round 4

Evening, Druids! I can't believe I made it to round 4! :)

Anyway, I've been thinking quite a bit about my goals the last few days and I've decided to change things up a little. 

Exercise:

I'm going to continue my yoga practice twice a week, but I'm going to increase the difficulty level. So far I've only been using a few beginner DVD videos, and an intermediate video every once in a while. Now I'm making the full switch to intermediate (I may come to regret this, but I'm going for it). I'm also going to aim for walking twice a week. I did this pretty well the last challenge so I want to keep it going. Plus my dog loooooves it, LOL. :) 

Nutrition:

This is a tough one. I want to keep watching how much sugar I eat (I'll probably always have to keep track of this, as my sweet tooth is large), but I also want to tackle a monster goal: cooking. I stopped cooking for several months because I worked soooo much that I just didn't have the time, and when I did I was so tired that I just ordered takeout instead. But I recently bought an instant pot (it was on sale and I couldn't help myself) and I want to learn how to use it. So, I'm going to learn how to cook properly. I don't care so much what I cook at this point so much as just recreating the habit of cooking while work is slow, so that way when we get super busy again I have a good habit to fall back on. So I guess that's the main nutrition goal right now: creating a cooking habit (right now it will be cooking once a week). The healthier eating part I'm hoping will come after. 

Intellectual:

The revision slog is still ongoing, one to two hours per day with one day off per week. One of these days I'll finish this novel. But until then, I'll keep working through it. I'm considering working on a few short pieces too just to rest my brain a bit and do something different but we'll see. I also want to read more (I've been so bad, I don't even know if I'm going to reach my reading challenge goal this year), so I'm aiming to read at least twenty minutes three times a week for these next four weeks.

And in order to do all of this, preparation/planning and time management skills will be key. I've been really bad at both this year, and I want to fix that. So, the calendar and timer apps on my phone are going to get quite the workout. I will also research and pick a new recipe to try each week and create a grocery list by the end of the week so I'm ready to go for the weekend. 

Anyway, that's all I've got for now, though I may change some things later. Let's do this. :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nol said:

Yay!!! Welcome back!

Great goals! Cooking in Winter is great, you can make lots of easy, comforting and healthy recipes :D

Thanks! I already found a few recipes I want to try so we'll see how they turn out. :) 

Hi Jupiter!  Our exercise goals are dang near identical!  And I, too, have a sweet tooth! 

These are very attainable goals, and I have no doubt you will do wonderfully!  

:frog:

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 7:45 PM, LittleTurtle said:

Hi Jupiter!  Our exercise goals are dang near identical!  And I, too, have a sweet tooth! 

These are very attainable goals, and I have no doubt you will do wonderfully!  

:frog:

LOL, yeah I saw that! 

Thank you! :) 

• Like 1

Evening challengers! I haven't been nearly as active on here as I want to be. I really need to work on that. 

Anyway, this first week didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Work picked up this week and I ended up working more hours with added stress and everyone wanting everything RIGHT NOW. The joys of month end. Still, I managed to do a little bit of research on recipes, though I haven't decided what I want to try to make yet. Hopefully I'll have made a decision by tomorrow. I did however clean out my pantry. I threw pretty much everything out. If I couldn't remember how long it's been there, then out it went. So now I can start restocking on some staples and be prepared and organized and ready to cook. The fridge is next. I'm also familiarizing myself with the instant pot so I can be ready for tomorrow, and I'm making up a grocery list of things to buy. 

Exercise also didn't go quite as planned, but I managed to squeeze in one walk with my dog and one yoga session, and I got in over 6000 steps today from running around most of the day, so I'm counting it. I still have tomorrow to do some yoga, so hopefully I can squeeze it in. 

Revisions have slowed down again. There's something not quite right with this chapter and I can't quite figure it out, so it's taking me a bit longer. I've only worked on it a half an hour a day for most of the week. I've also gotten some writing in on a short story I'm working on. Hopefully I can finish it by the end of the weekend and by then I can pinpoint the problem with this chapter. The reading didn't happen at all this week. At the end of each night I was so tired I ended up watching a bunch of Youtube videos instead. Definitely need to work on that for next week. 

Anyway, that's all I've got until tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Come on Jupiter, you can do it!!!

Cooking intimidates a lot of people into never learning. I'm so excited for you to level that skill up! I don't have an insta-pot personally, but I'm a fan of the 5-ingredient meal cookbooks out there, and if I had to guess, there's probably one out there for instapots. Also, everything I've heard about instapots is that they're magic, so I'm excited. Keep us posted! (And if you need any simple recipes for some basics, let me know. I love cooking, and I have a lot of good recipes. :) ) Good job on walking your dog and yoga; you''ll get closer to your goal this week! And YES count those 6000 steps! Everything counts. Even a couple minutes of breathing can be part of your yoga practice (or so I've been told the few times I've taken a class); and that'll help you out with that work stress. Hang in there! 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the encouragement and support! I really needed it today. 

I actually just bought a 6-ingredient instant pot cookbook LOL, and it's got some interesting stuff in it. I didn't get the chance to cook this weekend though unfortunately. The lock on my door broke the other day and I had to get that fixed. But I've been looking through recipes and figuring out how the instant pot works so I think I'll be ready to go by this weekend. I'll definitely keep you posted! :) 

Just thought I'd leave a quick update real fast. So far I did yoga on Sunday and walked close to thirty minutes yesterday and today. I'm doing a fitness challenge at work alongside this one, so a co-worker and I are going walking whenever she's in the office. Hopefully we can get in a third walk this week, but we'll see. The revisions have stalled, so I'm taking a break to just finish this short story I've been working on, since I didn't get a chance to do much with it over the weekend. I've only been managing about a half hour of work here and there, which is way less than I want, but at least it's something. The day job has gotten super busy all of a sudden and super frustrating. I don't even know what's going on, but I feel like everyone's more stressed out than usual. 

Quick end of week 2 update:

Oi, it was another low energy week but somehow I pushed through and did 2 days walking and 2 yoga sessions. I barely got through the 2nd yoga session though, which was a little frustrating. The week before I felt like I was finally getting a little stronger and some of the poses came a little bit easier. But when I did the second yoga session over the weekend, I was like nope, it's not happening today. I did most of the poses but the harder ones I didn't even mess with.

As for revisions, I'm procrastinating big time. I'm afraid this novel is terrible, and that I spent all this time and did all this work on it and it'll never go anywhere. I've spent the better part of six months on this novel, between plotting, writing and now revisions (and that's not counting the previous versions/rewrites). I'm afraid it's bad and no one will want to read it. So I finished writing a short story instead of working on the novel like I'd planned, but at least I worked on something. 

Also, no cooking happened this weekend (unless you count throwing frozen precooked food in the oven). I did do a steam test on the instant pot though, since that's what the manual said I should do first before anything else (it was actually kind of fun, weirdly enough LOL). Next up I might actually cook something in this thing. It really is nifty. 

Anyway, I went out and actually did something fun this weekend, which I rarely do these days. I went to a small comic/author convention at the library, which was awesome. Everyone dressed up as their favorite character (I didn't, LOL, but everyone's costumes were amazing) and there were artists and authors (and other vendors, including two very cute corgis dressed up as I don't know what, but they were adorable, LOL), panels and a small Star Wars show outside. I even walked away with some loot. 

Anyway, that's all I've got. On to the next week. 

On 12/1/2018 at 8:10 PM, Jupiter said:

Anyway, this first week didn't go as well as I'd hoped.

Don't dwell too much on that.  Life happens and some weeks can be a disaster.  The most important thing is recognizing it and moving forward.

You got this!

• Like 1

On 12/15/2018 at 10:23 PM, LittleTurtle said:

Don't dwell too much on that.  Life happens and some weeks can be a disaster.  The most important thing is recognizing it and moving forward.

You got this!

Thanks! :)

On 12/22/2018 at 2:04 PM, Kharissandra said:

Hey Jupiter! How's the challenge been this week? Still cheering you on!

Hey, thanks, Khari! :)

I think it went pretty well this week. Is this really the last week of the challenge? It went by way too fast LOL.

Let's see...I actually cooked with my instant pot today and made some chicken (and just microwaved some frozen veggies with it). It was really good! I've increased my exercise too. I'm walking for nearly thirty minutes pretty much every day now. Still trying to push to get it in twice a day, but that may have to wait until next challenge LOL. I only did yoga once this week though. And revisions have stalled for a while so while my brain sorts itself out, I'm writing a novelette, which is turning out to be longer than I anticipated. 

And that's all I've got. Hope everyone did well in their challenges. :) 

• Like 1

Good job hanging in there this challenge! You may not have met all your goals but it sounds like you did a good job adjusting as you needed to, and found ways to keep making progress in spite of everything. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 4:50 PM, AverageFish said:

Good job hanging in there this challenge! You may not have met all your goals but it sounds like you did a good job adjusting as you needed to, and found ways to keep making progress in spite of everything. 

Thank you! :)