• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ElizeElvinFoxRyder

elizevdmerwe - Have husband, and Band of Brothers & Sisters

Have husband, and Band of Brothers and Sisters

Will Exercise and Get on with Life

I had such a weird dream last night, and that is where I got the challenge theme and name from.

Spoiler

As you know, hubby B does dirt rallies as a hobby. Last night's dream started off with him going to participate in another race, but this one was called "The Race of Life". It was extremely dangerous, it took place in the wilds (shrub land, deep trenches, dusty in places, except for the flooded trenches, narrow channels you start off racing in) and you were up against the competitors, or those who wished not to leave you alone. Competitors were allowed to sabotage your equipment, but not outright steal it, or try to kill you. But there were threats enough in this race, in the wilds. Wild animals: predators, snakes, sink holes, mud, dust, strong winds; wild people cast out from society, shooting at you, or trying to trap you; people who come out and hinder you, just for the fun of the race... You get the picture.

So I dreamed hubby, B, took part in the men's section earlier that day, and heard that there were one spot open in the women's section and he just entered me, then came to tell me (in the spectator stand of sorts), that I'm to take part, gave me my number, and was off to his band of friends. I saw him standing on that hill, bragging about me and my abilities and how I was going to clean the field in this race, and win. I stood there gaping at him for a moment, not knowing what had hit me, as I've never taken part before, neither wanted to. But I had to get my act together, run over to the starting point, and get ready, because there were serious penalties and consequences if you entered, but didn't take part. It was better to try your luck in the race, than not take part! was the feeling I got.

While jogging over to the start, I suddenly had a partner (a young guy, didn't see his face, but he was competent and trustworthy, but also someone I didn't know) who got a lot of gear together, and then one by one my group of NF friends popped "out of the wood works" and started checking gear and equipment on the run to the starting point. I specifically saw @Sloth the Enduring checking my helmet, adjusting straps and telling me what all the little buttons and tech on there did. I saw @Elastigirl dragging a backpack of sorts closer (like those that pilots use in combat planes), and getting it on my back, adjusting straps and snaps. I saw others ( @annyshay, @lucky fire dragon) running with tins of food, water, etc, checking the amphibian, open frame, boat-car, making sure it was ready, filled with fuel, and not sabotaged. The "air-boat" had a huge outboard motor, no fan, and was only long and wide enough for the two of us, with a pipe-frame running from the front to the back.

At a stage I wondered where @Tanktimus the Encourager was, then I saw him standing a little bit off to the side, on a hill, keeping an eagle-eye on the field, pointing at people, directing them to places, and them stopping others from sabotaging my stuff. He didn't say a word, but gave these funny looks and hand signals, and got stuff done. Everywhere friends were running to me stuffing my hands and backpack full of gear, food, water, and all of a sudden I was sitting in the pipe-frame-boat-car-thing, ready to go. My partner/navigator sat in front with a shotgun and binoculars, while I put handguns in holsters on my person, strapped into the narrow seat and started the engine. I saw this water filled trench which we've struggled to walk through to the boat-car (up to your middle deep) stretching out in front of us. I saw in my mind's eye some of the dangers lying ahead (dangerous people and animals in very specific places), then it all zoomed back to the now, and .... the alarm went off and I woke up.

image.png.cb460f9862bccec8555645469602b644.png

So I'm tackling this challenge knowing I have someone who is cheering me on, and others supporting, helping, and protecting me along the way. Let's see how the race pans out.

I've been very tired (physically and emotionally) these last couple of months, specifically November after the bout of flu the boys and I struggled to get over. Our home school year is luckily coming to an end (about week 3 of the challenge), and we are off to Sabie (10hrs drive one way) this coming weekend, where I hope to be able to meet (possibly for the last time) with a friend who has terminal cancer. I also have a couple months of finances that I need to update this challenge, and I hate doing finance work. I've also been struggling with a mom-issue (who has BPD and I'm trying not to have contact with as advised by psychologist and the nursing sisters at the old age home she is in), and her birthday is tomorrow. I'm expecting something to happen that side too. I'm not feeling particularly happy about my body, about the muscles I've built over the year (I'm happy about the strength and the muscles themselves, but they are making me a lot bigger, and I'm not small), not to mention the fat I've picked up along the way.

I feel like this geared up soldier...just a lot bigger built.

image.png.721d63bf801ac5e88d8a57e8dcd009ad.png

So I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed, but I'm also actually feeling a whole lot stronger, hopeful, and somewhat ready to face whatever I have to. Life is good, maybe a tad scary and unpredictable; we are doing well as family; it is summer with frequent summer wind- and thunder storms, but things are actually going well and working out in general. So... I'm trying to stay positive, build up energy and enjoy life.

What I really want to feel like...

image.png.645721e557541ac5178bdcfa12c9775e.png

I'm trying to get back into my routine of morning exercises, which seems to be falling into place by itself (judging by Monday and Tuesday this week), but I'm starting off slowly doing one set of 12 reps of four or five exercises every morning. Here's the schedule and what I'm trying to get to after I get back from Sabie next week Tuesday. This week I'll do what I can, when I can.

1. Focus on: Health

• Strength: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays
  • Walking: Tuesdays, Wednesdays
  • Food: Only when I'm hungry <= 800g per day
  • Water: At least 1 bottle (1Lt) per day, preferably more

2. Finances

• August (week 2)
  • September (week 3)
  • October (week 4)

3. Other crucial to life

• Bible study (at least 3x/week)
  • Dry fire practice/Concealed carry/Awareness

EXERCISES:

Mondays and Fridays: building up to 3x12

• Calf raises and a goblet squat: up on toes, go down into squat, then heels down below step level, then up to level again, while holding a 10kg dumbbell.
  • Pushups: trying for full, but not able to go down all the way yet.
  • Bicep curl into tricep extension: bicep curl, turn arms up and over, do tricep extension above my head. Arms down and in bicep curl position, then down to my sides. Using 2x2.5kg dumbbells.
  • Ab-wheel: self explanatory.

Wednesdays: building up to 3x12

• Flys: front and lateral in one rep with 2x 2.5kg dumbbells.
  • X-over lunges: because I prefer them to normal lunges, and they target thighs and adductor muscles better.
  • Dumbbell shoulder press: Self explanatory using 2x5kg dumbbells.
  • Inverted rows: using broom stick through security gate, pulling myself up from incline lying position.
  • Plank2 Pushups: self explanatory.

Walking:

• Tuesdays over lunch time with hubby. He is still sick (head cold), but the boys and I will try to walk still (3-5km)
  • Wednesdays: I walk +-5km while the boys do Lego course, also over lunch time. The Lego finishes this week, so I'll have to find another place to walk in the following weeks.

Edited by elizevdmerwe
fix spelling
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Following!

Thanks, glad to have you around.

1 hour ago, annyshay said:

That whole dream made me smile. We've got your back, Elize!!! :love_heart:

It had me in a tizz. But I saw some faces so clearly, and others I just knew were there. It was very weird. Thanks for always being there for me.

1 hour ago, Rhovaniel said:

Elize! Good to see you! I have everything crossed that your Mom's birthday passes uneventfully for you and without stress. Remember, we're all here for you!

Glad to see you too, Rho. I've asked Brandt to drop her gift off at the home tomorrow morning, as I have a couple places that I'll be driving around to throughout the day, and can't be in time if I have to drive to the other side of town as well. We'll see how it goes. He isn't keen since Rocco said he doesn't want to visit. I'm praying for an uneventful day/week.

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following. I'm honored to be watching over your thread. Have you ever talked to Brandt about how you hate doing finances?

Glad to have you as our Watch man and Paladin.

Yes, we've spoken about it, and some more this past weekend.

Spoiler

One of the conditions when I resigned from full time job as PA years ago, and started working from home, was that I take over the finances from him, as he hates doing it even more than I do. I normally just grouse about it, but this year, with him sharing my bank account now, the work load has increased even more, as he wanted a spreadsheet showing the budget/plans for the month, and keep a running account day-by-day/week-by-week of our expenses. And then he wanted even more spreadsheets budgeting ahead for months coming next year, when are specific expenses going off, how much it will be, how much money must he work for if he wants to do this and that in which months... I told him I'm one person, not a whole financial department, and really, some spreadsheets he can do himself because he has a better idea (w.r.t. racing for instance) what the costs will be, his hourly rate charged to various companies, etc. He has copies of all previous years' financial spreadsheets, so he can look up the basic expenditure (what happened in which months), but he doesn't want to look it up like that. So I said "no, I'm not going to do those spreadsheets too." The only financial thing I don't do, are his invoices to the companies he works for.

I also keep the diary for him, the boys and myself w.r.t. events (all appointments, my things, the boys' sport, shoot club, racing club), doing all the payments and payslips, as well as government documents for the two people working for us (house and garden help), and if he goes away (business or racing), I have to arrange his accommodation, etc. On top of managing most of the things at home (except house cleaning and working in the garden), and preparing and doing the boys' school work with them. His mom also doesn't want him taking over our finance spreadsheets, as he had a horrible system, which only he understood, and she puts the spreadsheet information I draw up, on the book keeping programme for the accountant/auditor who has to report to SARS (tax dept). So I also get together all the documents that SARS need, and send it through to the accountant, 3x a year (1x final tax, 2x provisional tax reports).

Sorry, I just had to get all of that out of my system. In short, yes we talked. His help is to not pressure me for other spreadsheets over and above what I'm already doing, or asking when what will be done. He'll try from his side to give me slips on time, tell me about costs and expenses he is likely to incur in the upcoming month, and not just go to town and then send a message, "oh by the way..." so that I can plan properly, tell me in time about possible events and ... I think you get the picture.

It comes back to that communication thing you mentioned time and again this year...

------------------------------------------------

I keep thinking it's Wednesday already, then realise we didn't go to Lego today, we went to walk with B. We walked, it was 38C in he shade. We did the shortish route (3.5km) next to the stream with 30-40% of the trail in the shade. I've had a slight headache ever since we've returned, but I also have a blocked nose (sinus), and the air pressure is noticeably high/thick. How ever you call it. The insurance has been sending out text messages since yesterday warning of huge thunder and hail storms to be expected in our area/town. The frontal winds are blowing, so it is a case of when and not if.

In October I had an interview with an ex-South African author who now lives in America somewhere, writing and setting up Afrikaans language programmes for home school kids here. Last week she put that interview and an article about it up on her blog, and on Facebook, and apparently she got a huge response from other HS moms who wanted to contact me. She also linked that interview on my Fb account, so the parents know who to contact. This is all about those 400+ word cards I made for Adam (and Rocco) to learn to read, how I did things the other way round than the norm, because that was what Adam needed. She called me a real example of "unique-design-HS mom", something in that line. She also might want to talk to me next year about the SA history-geography-biology (nature study) pack I put together for us to use here at home, over the next two-three years. It's a bit overwhelming.

Uhm... back to the challenge: Yesterday I only got to bible study while waiting for Rocco in the car, while he was at dance class. It was actually very nice. Today I took the time while the boys were busy with math this morning. I'm not weighing my food currently, but I'm really focusing on whether I'm really, really hungry or not, and I try to eat the amount I got used to while weighing. I'll start weighing again next week. Water isn't an issue in this heat. Also managed to do magazine and f.a. loading dry fire drill this morning! No wonder I'm tired.

• Like 4

You impress me with how much you get done, and how well you manage it all.I'm glad I'm not the only one with crazy dreams! I hope your dream is your subconscious reminder that we are all here for you. That is awesome that others notice how talented and creative you are in your homeschooling. I'm not sure what you meant exactly about being overwhelmed. If it is the fact that you don't deserve the attention, then I would say yes you created a system to help your boys and that might help others. If it is because you don't feel up to answering all the emails or contacts you receive, then I say only do what you feel you can do. You aren't obligated to. If a lot of people have questions, maybe just post one how -to on face book and call that good.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I hope your dream is your subconscious reminder that we are all here for you.

Definitely. When I think friends, support, understanding, I think of you guys.

12 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

That is awesome that others notice how talented and creative you are in your homeschooling. I'm not sure what you meant exactly about being overwhelmed.

My feelings about the reaction the interview got, was a bit overwhelming. Amazement that it had such an impact, gladness for parents and children who got help from it, a bit of pride; a whole bunch of feelings that such a small thing could have such an impact. The acknowledgement of the efforts I (the boys and I, because they worked hard to learn to read) put into teaching and helping the boys.

The author explained in broader details in her article how we went about incorporating the cards and use them in visual and auditory lessons, so not too many extra questions to field.

11 hours ago, Jakkals said:

Stalking

So glad to have you Jakkals. I was going to go looking for you today, to catch up.... found you!

9 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

That is certainly a strange dream :) following. 

Glad to see you here.

9 hours ago, Salinger said:

im in :) xx

Glad to see you!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday: B decided last night that we'll stay a day longer in Sabie next week (only returning on Tuesday), so I've had to make a lot of changes this morning to the arrangements I've already made. He delivered my mom's gift to her, this morning. The storm luckily blew over, and we only had some soft rain. No wind or hail damage anywhere.

I have today and tomorrow to finalise a bunch of things before we leave Friday morning around 6am.

I managed to do one set of Wednesday exercises this morning, but the 2x5kg dumbbell shoulder press is a bit difficult. I had to change down to 2x2.5kg, which was too light. Tomorrow I'll try this routine again with 2x3kg, because I must be able to do it for 3 sets eventually. It is still raining softly, so I'm not sure whether I'd be able to walk during Lego. At least I have a new SA history curr that I can read through and use to improve the work I've set up for us.

Battling a lot of feelings again that nothing I did exercise-wise, through the year, was good enough, even though I was proud of what I've managed to accomplish.

• Like 3

You already rocking it all again :)

I second Elastigirl, you are amazing in all you accomplish in your time!! And second that you don't need to put too much time into those responses. A general fb post sounds like an excellent idea and maybe you can draft a generic email answer that you can reuse and only adapt where needed.

Maybe you can patent your cards and start selling them :D might be the next big business hit, who knows ;) just kitting, I know that is not your main interest

But your homeschooling is definitely something you can be very proud of, you're amazing with it!

Here to bring some extra water, just in case

Grisu.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

I second Elastigirl, you are amazing in all you accomplish in your time!! And second that you don't need to put too much time into those responses. A general fb post sounds like an excellent idea and maybe you can draft a generic email answer that you can reuse and only adapt where needed.

Maybe you can patent your cards and start selling them :D might be the next big business hit, who knows ;) just kitting, I know that is not your main interest

But your homeschooling is definitely something you can be very proud of, you're amazing with it!

:love_heart: Thank you.

I seem to have this knack for thinking of things to do business wise, but I just don't have the energy or the heart to start and see them through. I thought about the cards and the lessons as an Afrikaans curricula to market, but I would first have to buy rights to drawings/pictures on the internet, etc. I also thought about fine-tuning the South Africa compendium/folder/curricula I've put together, but same thing. Have to get permission from various areas for information/pictures/intellectual property used if you intend to make money off it, even non-profit, and I know from comments from a friend of mine, that is a whole different kettle of fish which I don't have the energy for. I also make use of books which aren't readily available any more, and I wrote the file so that you look up information in these various books.

But I really like the new history curr. It is short and sweet, seems to cover all the main areas I had covered (so no bias from my side), and adds ideas for map work, vocabulary work, and project work. I'll see how I can combine the two.

5 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Here to bring some extra water, just in case

So, so needed. Our one dam is still under 50%, but the others seem to have gotten a lot of rain in their respective catchment areas. Here in the suburb 2 big pipes and 1 mainline burst/broke last week.

Edited by elizevdmerwe
  • Like 2

A discussion that LFD and I had in my previous challenge, which I'm posting here to keep talk about food and exercise for this challenge together. :)

On 11/27/2018 at 7:53 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Boys! They definitely want to see it, but after hearing that later in December there is a PG13 Deadpool coming out with no swearing, no anything that I'm majorly against, they have been begging to go see that rather than Magical Beasts. I didn't allow them to watch Deadpool 1 or 2, which they accepted at the time with no problems. So we'll see about the movies.

:lol: I guess that is settled then. 

Pity about the beasts, but then again Deadpool is too tempting for boys, I totally understand that

I've started training, though just one set of 12 a day, Mon-Thurs this week. Next week I'll do 2x 12 (Tue, Wed, Fri) and then week 3 I'll try for 3x12 (Mon, Wed, Fri). The mixed up routine is because we are leaving for Sabie on Friday, only coming back on Monday. I'll explain again in the new challenge. I'll just go on and see what happens. I read up more about trimming down, and I'll try to cut back on some of the fat, otherwise just keep to my food as per the last challenge <=800g per day.

Nice training :)

Oh, be careful on cutting back too much fat!! It might be counterproductive as a lot of research shows how important healthy fats are and how it's really much more the sugars (and therefor the carbs) that cause weight gain. In the end it seems to be the insulin levels and other hormone balances, but fats don't raise the insulin levels while carbs and to some extent even proteins do and that is something to have in mind. As far as I know you, you don't have much sugar at all in your diet and probably little carb as is, but still I would be cautious of decreasing the fats.

Maybe you want to look at how often you eat and when instead? And get enough sleep and water to keep stress levels low? All the stress hormones raise blood sugar which can lead to the body needing more insulin and on the long run gaining weight. I'm currently reading "the obesity code" by Dr. Jason Fung, which is super interesting on this. It's what made me look into intermittend fasting and reminded me to eat more fat rather than less, as I can lessen the number of meals I take throughout the day. So far I do feel better in terms of energy levels and how I feel in my body, even though the physical difference is not much yet. But then again, I tossed it all when youngest was at hospital and I lived of the sandwiches there mostly... Also my "fasting" is very intermittent still :D with it being 12 hour breaks over night for starters. I want to experiment with some longer breaks now, like 8 hours over the day for my meals (and max 3 meals during that time, no snacking) and 16 hours break in between. Thinking of aiming for that twice a week for starters, because I don't think I'd manage that every day just yet. Will tell you if it helps :) 

It might not be yours but I wanted to mention it as the book alone contains a lot of first hand wisdom from his work as a medical doctor.

I actually really like training early morning, but maybe this last while I've been down and tired, mostly tired, and that was why it became a chore to mark off. I know how much I can do in the mornings, and I'm going to switch back to training first, while waiting for the coffee, then bible study, then only start with breakfast, etc. at 6h00. The boys can get up before 6am, but they are not going to exercise or go on the computers then. They have to wait till I've at least finished my routine/bible study. I need that quiet early morning.

YES, excellent plan!! You do need that and maybe the joy in it will come back more fully as well, now that you set it so consciously.

And as it happens, because they can't go on the computers before they've exercised, they don't get up before 6am anyway. And they seem to be able to go on (check on each other's form) without help from me/us. So things are falling in place by itself.

YAY congrats, that's the best, isn't it? 

They also didn't even moan once when I asked them to do their short set of exercises every week day morning, instead of just 3x/week as previously. Adam said: "I'm not admitting that I actually like it. Not going to say it out loud at all."

:lol: clever boy!

The summer thunderstorms are really hampering my time on NF. Had to switch the modem off for most of yesterday afternoon and evening. A lot of rumbling, some lightning every now and again (but telephone lines carry charge and have previously damaged our printers/modems), little rain, fierce windstorms. There's been a lot of trees blown over in the suburb/town, broken branches, but luckily we've had no damage, thanks to Brandt doing winter sawing every year.

I'll get to that challenge just now.... watch this space.

Glad to have you here despite the storms :love_heart:

Just now, elizevdmerwe said:

Nice training :)

B suggested that I do the Wednesday sets from the week after next or even the week after that, at heavy. Not too soon so that I hurt myself, and first get used to heavier weights again. One set of each of the five exercises to failure basically. Says I have to mix up a heavier workout with the lighter ones during a week. At the moment I'm quite enjoying the one set I'm doing every morning, as some of the exercises are difficult (like this morning's plank2pushups), while others are light, and thus I know I can push it up next week.

I've never really given a lot of attention to really build muscle, as I tend to think that it is only applicable to body builders and fitness models (those really built women who take part in the competitions? Not body building for women), and I'm not at all interested in looking like that, or working like that. I've only ever wanted to become strong enough to do things and enjoy life. But I want to enjoy the training as well. If it becomes too difficult, then it is a chore, and not nice. Maybe I'm just not at the right level yet? :(

4 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Oh, be careful on cutting back too much fat!! It might be counterproductive as a lot of research shows how important healthy fats are and how it's really much more the sugars (and therefor the carbs) that cause weight gain. In the end it seems to be the insulin levels and other hormone balances, but fats don't raise the insulin levels while carbs and to some extent even proteins do and that is something to have in mind. As far as I know you, you don't have much sugar at all in your diet and probably little carb as is, but still I would be cautious of decreasing the fats.

I have had more sugar and starches of late, which I've cut back on again, but I was thinking more saturated fats (animal -like pork rind, chicken skin :() as that was what I read, and not the other fats like avo, coconut oil, nuts, etc. But I'm so confused at the moment. I'm trying to limit my coffee to four mugs a day, which would also limit cream, but I've been drinking a small glass of warm milk to help me sleep at night, which I don't really want to cut.

9 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

And get enough sleep and water to keep stress levels low?

Yip, I've started checking this now again. Going to bed preferably 21h30, but latest 22h00, and I see B joins me most of the time of late. I've been taking Bio-Strath for energy, health (immune system) boost, and stress. It is not just good for 'exam stress', but for stressful daily life. The down side is that it majorly increases my appetite, so I think I'll switch over to Stress Away for a little bit. I don't want something majorly strong. Just something to take the edge off the stress on some days. The latter is what I use for Missy when there is thunder or fireworks.

As you said, level out the insulin and hormone levels. I'm trying to only eat when I'm really hungry so at the moment my routine looks something like this:

5h00 coffee with cream

8h00 coffee with cream

10h30-11h00 breakfast

14h30-15h00 something smallish, like yoghurt with fruit, or maybe a chicken drumstick or two + coffee with cream

17h30-18h00 dinner

19h00-ish coffee with cream (sometimes)

Oh don't forget the small glass of milk at 21h30-22h00.

I very seldom eat in between, and the Bio-Strath made me very hungry. But I've been eating things like a small bowl of popcorn with the boys, or toast (month or two ago), for lunch at times, not to mention I had chocolate or chocolate icing *big eyes*, a couple of times as a late night snack. So I'm definitely cleaning up that eating already.

Please keep me posted on how you're doing! The kindle edition of that book is a bit expensive at the moment.

36 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

YES, excellent plan!! You do need that and maybe the joy in it will come back more fully as well, now that you set it so consciously.

About the boys enjoying their exercises.

I'm really starting to enjoy the morning exercises again. I'm quite surprised at how much strength I still have w.r.t. those exercises I've done until beginning November.

The boys are not even quibbling about the exercises in the morning. I haven't had any problems with them in that regard. Rocco is especially enjoying the exercises.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

I'm really starting to enjoy the morning exercises again.

That is so great :)

55 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

but I was thinking more saturated fats (animal -like pork rind, chicken skin :() as that was what I read, and not the other fats like avo, coconut oil, nuts, etc

That does make sense! Sorry for the confusion, I meant healthy fats yes. I'm not so sure how bad the cream is though... on the other hand I do know that dairy plus sugar seems to be tougher for the body to digest than one of each on their own. And I also observed that if I have too little fat in my diet, I tend to crave more carbs and sweets and generally be more hungry. We are all our own science projects here, aren't we :D

58 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

5h00 coffee with cream

8h00 coffee with cream

10h30-11h00 breakfast

14h30-15h00 something smallish, like yoghurt with fruit, or maybe a chicken drumstick or two + coffee with cream

17h30-18h00 dinner

19h00-ish coffee with cream (sometimes)

Oh don't forget the small glass of milk at 21h30-22h00.

This is so interesting to me. Your dinner is way earlier than mine and breakfast a little later, so I am amazed how you cope with that. Meal timing looks great to me, but of course, I am no expert. Maybe if you had your milk a little earlier and your first coffee a little later in the morning? Do you want to try it out, just to see?

Then again, I think you are on a solid track as is already again, and it's no point trying out too many things at once. 

Just keep making conscious choices and having more fun again. Maybe fun could be the best fat burner? :lol: how cool would that be?

• Like 2

Fats in general got a bad rap in the latter half of the twentieth century. This is because the sugar industry paid for a lot of studies that made fat out to be the reason behind Amercia's heart disease. Dietary fat does not directly lead to body fat, excess calories do, regardless of their source.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

This is so interesting to me. Your dinner is way earlier than mine and breakfast a little later, so I am amazed how you cope with that. Meal timing looks great to me, but of course, I am no expert. Maybe if you had your milk a little earlier and your first coffee a little later in the morning? Do you want to try it out, just to see?

Oh no, I make breakfast for everyone at 6h00 in the morning, after feeding the animals, so that B can take a container to work (and I pack his lunch), and the boys can eat. I also need to have breakfast and lunch ready for when Thoko or Eric is here. They chose their own break time (usually between 9h00-10h00), and if I had to suddenly stop schoolwork to make a plate of breakfast, right in the middle of things, I'll never get anything done properly. I just keep my breakfast till later when I'm hungry. I used to eat at 7h00, but was then super hungry again by 10h00-11h00, but with time I saw that I'm just always hungry around 10h00-11h00, so the coffee fills up till then. I don't drink any sugar in coffee or tea, so the cream is never taken with sugar.

Lunch on the days that Thoko (Thursday) and Eric (Monday) are around are the same. Then I basically cook dinner around lunch time so that they can have a proper plate of food. They normally eat just before going home (14h00-14h30), as they don't work full day for us. Then things are ready, covered or kept in the fridge till it's time. Otherwise I'll be in the kitchen fixing food stuff for everyone to eat the whole day long, and hardly get around to doing anything else.

Dinner is the same thing. I start cooking around 16h00, after feeding the dogs, and the boys eat before 17h00 because they are normally ravenous. B only eats around 20h00 after he came home from work, and has worked on one of the cars, and sits down to finally relax. I eat somewhere in between cooking and him eating, depending on how hungry I am, but it is generally just before or after 18h00.

I tend to fall asleep within 10-15min. of drinking the milk at night. Maybe more mind over matter. But I don't really want to drink it too early in the evening, thinking I might fall asleep earlier, and then be wide awake way before 5h00. As it is I'm again waking up automatically by 4h45 now, wait for the alarm to go off at 4h50, and then get up to make coffee, exercise and do bible study. I basically have my coffee around 5h30, either with bible study or exercise. It works for me. The milk is probably mind over matter. I believe it relaxes me, so I quickly fall asleep after having it. I can try drinking it earlier.

Oh heck, Brandt fell off his bicycle! I'll talk later.

• Like 2

This is what happens when you try to duck between two cars while on your bicycle. His right arm, by the elbow, hit the rear indicator light on the car. Parts of the lens covering was chipped off from the impact. His arm pressed against his middle, and he feels bruised just under his ribs on the right side. His nose took a hit from his cycle glasses and it cut him short but deep. I first cleaned everything off at home, treated for infection with tea-tree oil and Betadene, gave him something for the shock, and then insisted we go to the hospital for the nose. He got two stitches. Otherwise roasties and two spots where his skin is off, and they covered with a dressing. The dr. was impressed with what I've done, said everything was nice and clean, they just had to clean his face up again before she could put stitches in, as that was what she was liable for, but the nurse just cleaned and checked everything anyway. I got the extra ointment for his nose wound and some specialised dressing covers and plasters for his nose and right arm.

1204047573_brandtongeluk.jpg.e6bbd38ed6aca60a05f58825abb5deb9.jpg

Drove him around town, among other things to have his front wheel rebuilt as it buckled in the accident. He insisted on going to work, and I'll pick him up again this afternoon. He says it could have been worse, and his ego is back in place. Next time he'll use a pillow to face-plant. One of his colleagues said their promotion slogan for the current farming app Brandt is working on will be "we literally worked through blood, sweat and tears to get the product to you." Brandt's planning manager said his meetings are really not that bad that Brandt had to crash to miss it. They made some more jokes before I left.

So... Thursday... Take 2:

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Fats in general got a bad rap in the latter half of the twentieth century. This is because the sugar industry paid for a lot of studies that made fat out to be the reason behind Amercia's heart disease. Dietary fat does not directly lead to body fat, excess calories do, regardless of their source.

That's what I understood too. I think its body builders who cut fat when they want to slim down before a competition. I really just want to eat good food, check a bit on those things I have to, and not have to always "be on a mission" or follow rules.

--------------------------

So no school work, and no sport for Rocco this afternoon. I just got home, had breakfast (11h00), need to make lunch for Thoko and the boys, then go back to town to buy pets mince, red wriggler worms for Breeze, collect post, come home. Collect the boys, back to town to fetch Brandt, then cook some extra food for Eric while he looks after our house this weekend. Finish up the laundry, dishes, etc.; give the house keys to the neighbours to give to Eric tomorrow morning, as we will be leaving before 5am now.

Hope you guys have a great weekend. Brandt still wants to do the cycle relay Saturday afternoon, but I'm wondering whether he isn't underestimating how sore he'll be. But knowing him, he'll cycle out of pure stubbornness. I'm not saying a word.

• Like 2

oh gosh, that's how quickly it can happen :o lucky him to have gotten away with just that or maybe he's just got good guardian angels. He's got one at home for sure  :)

Your meals sound super organized and sensible! And with the coffee having no sugar, it should probably count for liquid only - see less water needed :P I don't know if cutting out fats as such has ever really helped anyone slim down. I think it's more that people tend to watch their intake generally more during that time and eat less. Cutting lower on carbs has definitely helped a lot of people and that was preached wrong for way too long. My boy still learns at cooking classes how we must have enough carbs in our diet <_< that might have been true when people were farming and working hard physically for most of the day, nowadays it's just not correct anymore. Wonder what else we've been taught that was wrong...

Tend well to your hubby (as much as he lets you) and enjoy your time at Sabie!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Drove him around town, among other things to have his front wheel rebuilt as it buckled in the accident. He insisted on going to work, and I'll pick him up again this afternoon. He says it could have been worse, and his ego is back in place. Next time he'll use a pillow to face-plant. One of his colleagues said their promotion slogan for the current farming app Brandt is working on will be "we literally worked through blood, sweat and tears to get the product to you." Brandt's planning manager said his meetings are really not that bad that Brandt had to crash to miss it. They made some more jokes before I left.

That means they like him. If he had been in my ER (Emergency Room) I would have given him no end of jokes about it too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That means they like him. If he had been in my ER (Emergency Room) I would have given him no end of jokes about it too.

That'd be the standard MO among my colleagues as well. No end of jokes about anything, really.

We have a saying here: "to throw flowers at someone" - to signify giving someone compliments.

The local bastardised version: "to throw flowers at someone with the pots still attached" - to signify constant ribbing. :D

In my experience, the more ribbing among colleagues, the better the workspace. :P

• Like 4