• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ElizeElvinFoxRyder

elizevdmerwe - Have husband, and Band of Brothers & Sisters

On 11/29/2018 at 3:19 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

Your meals sound super organized and sensible! And with the coffee having no sugar, it should probably count for liquid only - see less water needed :P I don't know if cutting out fats as such has ever really helped anyone slim down. I think it's more that people tend to watch their intake generally more during that time and eat less. Cutting lower on carbs has definitely helped a lot of people and that was preached wrong for way too long. My boy still learns at cooking classes how we must have enough carbs in our diet <_< that might have been true when people were farming and working hard physically for most of the day, nowadays it's just not correct anymore. Wonder what else we've been taught that was wrong...

We are all going to watch our carb intake, cut on sweets, baked stuff, etc.

Ja, all the school books for Life Skills here also still preach high carb, low protein, lots of fruit and veg, and almost no fats except maybe poly- and mono(un-?)saturated. @Elastigirl read that book on salts, which apparently says some things were wrong; Prof. Tim Noakes openly admitted he got some facts on water consumption wrong in his first book on water and running/training, and he is revising that book. So I'd say most things on humans and food isn't a given and set in stone.

On 11/29/2018 at 2:51 PM, annyshay said:

Hope Brandt heals up well. Tell him that Dr. Shannon says not to push things too hard. ;) Hope you all enjoy Sabie!!!

Brandt is doing well, thanks! He tried to push hard, but stopped when he got cramps from "over doing it" (his words), and it started getting dark. He refused to cycle in the dark (even with a light on his bicycle), even though his one team mate and his mom were pressuring him to go on. Seeing as he was the one most fit of their team, and put in the most laps (8 x 6km relay), he said he'd done his share and stopped. We had a great time in Sabie though. The boys and I got a tad sunburned: Rocco the worst because he didn't listen when I called him out of the pool. But that lesson learned well now too. I'm sore in places, but Brandt's putting on after sun lotion, and Adam is just tanned, with no problems. Water + Sun = lots of fun and sunburn. They had a heated pool and I played with the boys in the water most of the time. I even dared myself to wear the costume (one piece) only and not a cover up t-shirt. Although in hindsight the t-shirt would have helped against the sun. :confused:

On 11/29/2018 at 3:19 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

oh gosh, that's how quickly it can happen :o lucky him to have gotten away with just that or maybe he's just got good guardian angels. He's got one at home for sure  :)

Tend well to your hubby (as much as he lets you) and enjoy your time at Sabie!!!

Brandt was very lucky. Nothing broken, nothing cracked. I did tend him well, or at least tried to :D.

On 11/29/2018 at 4:14 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That means they like him. If he had been in my ER (Emergency Room) I would have given him no end of jokes about it too.

:D He also got comments from old school friends who he sees every year at this race. The announcer (?) for the race commented loudly over the microphone: "... and here comes Brandt, already the worse for wear. Cycling lessons are behind the buildings on the kiddie playground..." and some other comments I didn't hear.

On 11/29/2018 at 5:52 PM, TimovieMan said:

That'd be the standard MO among my colleagues as well. No end of jokes about anything, really.

We have a saying here: "to throw flowers at someone" - to signify giving someone compliments.

The local bastardised version: "to throw flowers at someone with the pots still attached" - to signify constant ribbing. :D

In my experience, the more ribbing among colleagues, the better the workspace. :P

Brandt really likes that office and his colleagues. Even though his hourly rate there is lower than at the other firm, he said if he didn't have the other contract, he wouldn't mind working at the first office full time.

On 11/29/2018 at 7:25 PM, Elastigirl said:

Ouch, glad it wasn't too serious. 

Luckily not too serious and he is already on the mend. I'm to take out the stitches on Friday.

On 12/3/2018 at 2:37 AM, Xena said:

Good job exercising your first aid skills! Those could be useful in that dream race you have entered :-)

Definitely useful. When the doctor asked whether I've treated a lot of bruises, cuts, etc. Brandt commented that it is almost constantly part of my life: if it isn't him or the boys, it's the dogs. A lot of wounds, stitches, etc. through the years.

---------------------------------------------

This weekend started off with a LOT of boundary testing: first the ointment (or in our case Tea Tree Oil, and Silver Genesis gel) we were using for Brandt's injuries, and secondly about the boys not cycling- so stupid actually.

Spoiler

Got some comments from Brandt's mom and a friend, who is an accountant at dr's offices in Sabie, who both just wanted to take over Brandt's "treatment" with their choice of ointments. It got a bit irritating at one point, when the friend had her medical bag out of the car and ointment in hand, ready to start treating Brandt's injuries. The comments were always made to me, when Brandt wasn't within hearing distance. This is always how they 'operate'. Then I reached the end of my tether and called Brandt over and said "talk to him". There were a lot of "uhhmmms" and "aahhhs" when said two ladies tried to convince him to change what we were using and he told both of them "No, thank you. Elize will use what we always use. The doctor in Pmb was happy with it, and I'm already healing." They tried to push and he just said no, turned around and walked away. His mom tried again, when he wasn't around, to convince me to use her choice of ointment, so I told her: "just stop it now, already!" got up and walked away. After we got rid of that frustration, I could tend to Brandt's injuries in peace every day! :D

The second irritation was, as usual, with regards to the boys who don't cycle. Comes a long way, but basically Brandt's mom got frustrated with my technique of slowly teaching the boys to cycle whenever we were at friends and they used their friends' bicycles. Friends' encouragement helped a lot. Brandt refused to buy them bicycles at home, because he said from the start that they weren't really interested. Then one holiday, when I was away at meetings in Pretoria, Brandt took the boys to visit his mom. She rented bicycles and basically forced them to try to cycle every day. Rocco did this for two days then flatly refused because he was hurting (private parts, etc.) Adam tried to stick it out (to impress granny) but when I showed up he also refused flatly, as I told him he didn't have to, after I heard what happened and he was hurting. Brandt had told his mom to stop, she ignored him, and he walked away. So this "teaching them to cycle" has been a constant pain, and we've had to hear how bad we are for not forcing them to learn, for years.

This has actually been the first year that Brandt's mom didn't comment, but her friend did. She asked the boys how could they call themselves "van der Merwe's" and not cycle? I didn't answer immediately because I wanted to hear what the boys were going to answer. Rocco asked her what his surname had to do with what sport they do. Adam said that granny had forced them a previous year and it hurt, and he will not cycle. He doesn't want to learn, and he will not. Then Rocco said that they do enough other sport. She opened her mouth to comment, but by now I've had enough comments from her (on the ointment, treatment, and cycling) so I said their cousin is already great at cycling and other sports, if the 'van der Merwe' surname and cycling is so important. And that Brandt's mom has to accept the boys for themselves and what they want to do, not for what she or other people want them to do. Then we walked off to the swimming pool.

After the cycling race, we didn't have ANY comments or hassles from Brandt's mom while staying there about either issue. In hind sight, we could have just cut everything short and said "no", or "they don't like cycling", and didn't have to give reasons or comments, but I really think they got the message now.

So WOOT! WOOT! for boundaries, and another WOOT! for Brandt finally admitting that I had a valid reason for seldom enjoying visiting Sabie, and realising why I'm always worked up before going there.

I tried to visit my friend with cancer, but alas ended up in front of a locked up house. The gardener was there and he told me that my friend had gone back to Pretoria (it's a big cancer and training hospital in another province) for treatment, and that he was told to tell people they (sister and mom) are not sure she will be coming back. He gave me directions to the sister's house, but added hesitantly that they didn't really want visitors. So I turned around and went back to mil's house. Mil phoned someone and she basically got the same message, with an explanation that the doctors had tried to remove some of the cancer, and started chemo to see if they could prolong her life, or at least lesson her pain, but apparently nothing changed.

More w.r.t. the challenge: Brandt and I discussed our exercises, or specifically mine, during the long hours driving. He wants me to train either every day, and only take a day off over the weekend, or if I really want a break in between then every other day, not on a set day, and continue like that (Mo-We-Fr-Su-Tu-Th-Sat-Mo...). Walking is on top of that, and not taken into consideration. Start off with big muscle BW exercises, and gradually increase and/or change exercises as I grow stronger or need something else. I realised that previously Brandt has said the exact same thing, but when I got uncomfortable with something, I would change things, or did most of what he recommended, but added some exercises which I preferred, or didn't do it as hard as he recommended, because I felt I was getting too big... A part of me says "follow his plan to the letter and see where it gets you", and another part says "but I don't want to train like that". And that in part, is because I don't fully trust the outcome that he has in mind. But if I don't try, nothing will happen. I know I'm stubborn, and sometimes I think I know better. *sigh* Let's see how far I get, and how things work out.

Brandt's recommendation (work up to 3 sets, but sooner the better):

• Squats (properly down, except if my knees hurt) 3x10
  • X-over lunges 3x10
  • Deadlifts at heavy weight - think I have to add this later when BW exercises are becoming easier.
  • Pushups (full, not knees) 3x5
  • Inverted rows 3x10
  • Dumbbell shoulder press 3x10 (start at 2x3kg dbell)
  • Abswheel (change out with plank2pushup every now and again) 3x10

It's basically what I have been doing on different days, combined into one routine for every day, and the small muscle exercises, like calf raises, triceps and flys, have been removed.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

Sorry the visit to MIL was so stressful but yay for setting firm boundaries and sticking to them! 

It's stupid things, and this time round it was just irritating, not as stressful as previous visits. Slowly but surely I'll start looking forward to visiting there again, because the rest of the time (Sunday and Monday) was fine, and we actually had a nice relaxing time. But definitely yay on boundaries.

----------------------------------

Two sets today!

• Squats 2x10
  • X-over lunges 2x10
  • Pushups 2x5 (almost halfway down!)
  • Shoulder presses 2x10 @2.5kg
  • Inverted rows 2x10
  • Abs wheel 2x10

• Like 3

What I try and do with a program I am following is do it exactly like they say for 4-6 weeks. That gives me a chance to see how it is working for me.Maybe you can try that, and then since you are lucky enough to have a husband who is giving you a  program, after that time you can see how it is working and talk to him and get some feedback. And let yourself get big. Muscles are wonderful . They help you do all sorts of things. And having muscle means you can get away with eating more than when you don't. Really, between the fact that you are female, and older, it is hard enough to put on muscle, that you won't get too big.

Woohoo for standing up for boundaries. And yeah for Brandt and the kids standing up too. Sorry you had to. Lesson for me when I am a mother- in -law: don't try and tell my daughter in law how to take care of her kids or husband. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

What I try and do with a program I am following is do it exactly like they say for 4-6 weeks. That gives me a chance to see how it is working for me.Maybe you can try that, and then since you are lucky enough to have a husband who is giving you a  program, after that time you can see how it is working and talk to him and get some feedback.

I really need to put my trust in him w.r.t. this. It isn't life threatening or a train smash, and in those things I trust him explicitly! I just have to let go. I was also thinking of taking a photo beginning of every challenge to compare myself to my previous self. To help with motivation. Another thing I realised when I fetched B from work this afternoon is that he hasn't really listened when I told him what I did previously and how far I got with the training. He was surprised by some of the things I mentioned that I'd gotten to. So we need to talk more about our training. I am lucky to have his support in this. He is also trying to get fit again, and the boys are back to training every morning, so it is a family thing now.

36 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Lesson for me when I am a mother- in -law: don't try and tell my daughter in law how to take care of her kids or husband.

Me too!

--------------------------------------------------

I have more books to proof read this coming weekend. Both authors whom I normally help have sent books. The UK author again sent me Amazon vouchers for Christmas! $150! I'm looking at The Salt Fix book (definitely, finally, going to buy), some Dry Fire training cards, and Blessed is the man HS curriculum, among other things.

I've been catching up with NF (250+ emails since Friday morning till last night), and Master Chief said he isn't giving up on me (ringtone for finance-timer on my cellphone) for the last 30+min. by now, so I better get to it.

• Like 4

Lol. I love heckling, but there’s starting to be a lot of backlash against it because stupid people take it too far.

I’m glad you were able to establish boundaries, but kids who don’t bike make me sad. It’s too bad MIL introduced it in a way that they’ll never want to take it up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

So proud of you and your whole family for setting those boundaries. Good communication for the win. Tell Brandt I specifically asked you to say I'm proud of him.

Thanks. :) Will do.

12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Lol. I love heckling, but there’s starting to be a lot of backlash against it because stupid people take it too far.

Anything taken too far, goes south quickly. People need to learn where to draw the line.

12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’m glad you were able to establish boundaries, but kids who don’t bike make me sad. It’s too bad MIL introduced it in a way that they’ll never want to take it up.

image.png.1fb59b67d6911b6f080e36d8b1ac4e38.png

Our neighbour's boys were very glad for the bicycle that mil sent home with Rocco last year. He never even touched it once in the time it was here. So at least there are still van der Merwe kids (they have the same surname as us) learning to cycle. We'll be the ones keeping our feet on the ground, backpacks at the ready - also known as cycling support staff. ;)

----------------------------------

B has terrible inflammation in his one knee. We suspect from having a glass of champagne night before last. That bottle he got at the race two weeks ago. I've had to drive him to and from work since yesterday, as he can hardly bend the knee. He is supposed to marshal at two races this weekend, but I'm not sure whether he'd be able to.

Spoke with B this morning about the exercises. In short - dragging together B's good intentions, trying to encourage me. His "good will" as L&R calls it. I asked for acknowledgement that I have been training well this year, even though only for the first part, and that he realises it, and please, I need that acknowledgement from him. I'll follow his plan, I respect his knowledge and experience, the fact that he is trying to help me, but please just remember to say "well done" on what I try/manage to do, as well as saying "but you have to do more". They have to go together. It ended well. We're learning.

And following that up with: "I did not exercise this morning, but have all intentions of doing it this afternoon." My sleep was interrupted, first by Missy throwing up, then Zuzu and Rosy wanted to go outside, so up again, and to bed a bit later again. Only got up at 5h30, made coffee, read from L&R, then started normal morning routine around 6am. I think the dewormer wasn't sitting comfortable in Missy's tummy, which means I might have to buy more dewormer.

Caught up with more of the normal day-to-day finances and the monthly budget (thank you Master Chief). Also caught up with laundry, post, food for us and the animals, all those things that I had to drive around town for yesterday... all the normal stuff that happens end/beginning of the month.

• Like 5

Thursday:

• Squats 2x10
  • X-over lunges 2x10
  • Pushups 3x5 (almost halfway down!)
  • Shoulder presses 2x10 @3.5kg
  • Inverted rows 2x10
  • Abs wheel 2x10

Got that sauna feeling, but glad for the little bit of improvement.

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Well done communicating your needs.

:) I'm trying, I'm really trying to be better and change.

======================================================

Forgot to add: My main focus for this challenge will be exercises. Walking when I can, probably only on a Tuesday with B. Finances are secondary - those that are behind and needs to be updated. Daily isn't an issue. Please, I need some prodding to get these done! Their my procrastination horrors. Tertiary are bible study, water and sleep. I'll keep an eye on them and try to get to it as needed, but not to be a challenge goal. Food and Dry Fire are somewhere on that list as well.

SO...

1. Strength training and Walking
  2. Finances
  3. The rest, but not important for the challenge.
Edited by elizevdmerwe
added info
  • Like 5

Elize, I missed following your challenge until now, I'm so sorry!

Here now though.

Good luck finishing up with the homeschool year! And finishing the year strong with your training!

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 3:56 PM, Fonzico said:

Elize, I missed following your challenge until now, I'm so sorry!

Here now though.

Good luck finishing up with the homeschool year! And finishing the year strong with your training!

No worries. You were under a tremendous amount of stress with your job and job change, etc. But I'm glad that you're doing so much better and here now! *hugs*

Just this week that's ahead, then I can fully relax on that score as well.

On 12/7/2018 at 4:34 PM, TGP said:

another old friend that doing really good!

I'll try to get back into your story.  I've always appreciated them!

Hi, so good to see you again! No story this time round, just trying to stay out of the blues which have had a vice-like grip on me these last couple months. But I'm making progress and learning a lot about boundaries and letting go.

-----------------------------------------------------------

No training Friday (shark week started), and I was just ... tired! So tired! Did what had to be done, went to bed early, got up early, got back in bed, got up an hour later (+-8h00) and felt much better, but still tired. Brandt went out to marshal at a karting race; he took the Mazda, so I didn't have a car, which suited me just fine. I did what I had to do around the house (food, laundry, pets, bible study - L&R book, daily finances...) and went to bed around 22h00. And I slept like a rock until early this morning (5h30), let the dogs out, jada jada jada as usual, and finally was able to open my eyes and jump out of bed around 8h30 (very surreal dream about not being able to open my eyes, and keep falling asleep). Today's karting race was cancelled due to too much rain/water on the track, and the high risk of accidents. I think I've finally thrown off a lot of stress, as I got two huge fever blisters on my lip (eww, sorry if tmi), and I don't feel tired anymore. I was also SO hungry yesterday! Just wanted to eat, eat, eat. Tried my best not to over indulge, and also had some chocolate eggs which I shared with the boys. Those mini-eggs with jelly tots on the inside. It was good. I really enjoyed them. Now I don't have any cravings and can't even finish my breakfast.

Our country's electricity supplier is in such debt (mismanagement, corruption, illegal theft of electricity, and just...R466 BILLION - $6990 BILLION  in the red!) that they have started load shedding throughout the country. The main issue: they cannot afford to pay for coal to run the plants that are still in working order. The only other problem is that we've been given schedules for when the electricity will be off, but their not keeping to it! So we'll happily be busy when *poof!* everything goes dark and there's nothing. Which reminds me I have to buy more candles. So between load shedding and thunder storms, I'll try to report in when I can. On thunderstorms: we had a doozy of storms these last couple nights, which finally resulted in a good bought of rain these last two nights, more than 20mm (9-10 inches).

I spent some time yesterday browsing Amazon for things to buy - physical to be sent as parcel. I got the dry fire training cards (Brandt is also interested in them), and some books for the boys. The Sassafras Science adventures are about two kids who have to spend their summer vacation with their scientist uncle who takes them on adventures throughout the world. As you read about their adventures, science information are given about the topic of that particular book (zoology, human body, plants, geology, earth sciences). The boys just learn so well from listening to stories, and then discussing things afterwards. These particular books have 'notebooks' that you can buy as well, where the information can be written down after every chapter, but I have so many thematic notebook pages that I've collected through the years, so I'll print my own.

Oh, I also bought them a "Star Wars, Where's the Wookie?" book. They've been joking around about getting a "Where's Wallie?" book. In the back are other characters which can be sought, which is apparently more difficult to find, making it more of a challenge as it is probably a bit young for these two. But it's Star Wars! Need I give more reasons? And finally bought The Salt Fix! Hopefully I'll learn something about the dizziness, cramps, headaches, etc. And lastly: Kick your Fat in the Nuts. I can't remember who recommended it, but it is "a natural guide to how your body works, and how to work your body". It isn't about loosing weight, but about being healthy, eating healthy for your body, and no one size fits all solution. How do things w.r.t. your body fit together.

So I have a nice reading list. Some courier packages to look forward to (should arrive around Christmas time), and just relaxing time. Ooh, I also have that new SA history book that I want to incorporate into my own things I've put together! So many nice things to look forward to! And our Christmas tree is finally up!

• Like 7

Last update for today (Sunday):

• Squats 2x10
  • X-over lunges 2x10
  • Deadlifts 2x10 @ 26kg
  • Pushups 2x10
  • Shoulder presses 2x10 @3.5kg
  • Inverted rows 2x10
  • Abs wheel 2x10

Mumbled quote of the day (while watching me exercise):

"Maybe I did underestimate how much you've done, and how strong you've already become..."

• Like 6

On 12/9/2018 at 8:39 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Our country's electricity supplier is in such debt (mismanagement, corruption, illegal theft of electricity, and just...R466 BILLION - $6990 BILLION  in the red!) that they have started load shedding throughout the country. The main issue: they cannot afford to pay for coal to run the plants that are still in working order. The only other problem is that we've been given schedules for when the electricity will be off, but their not keeping to it! So we'll happily be busy when *poof!* everything goes dark and there's nothing. Which reminds me I have to buy more candles. So between load shedding and thunder storms, I'll try to report in when I can. On thunderstorms: we had a doozy of storms these last couple nights, which finally resulted in a good bought of rain these last two nights, more than 20mm (9-10 inches).

Oh wow that really sounds horrendous :( The very least you could ask for is for them to actually stick to the schedule that they have given you or update it if they need to. 

• Like 1

I had a dream last night where Sra. Tanque and I met you and Brandt in Africa, except it wasn't your IRL home, it was some weird complex in the bush Brandt had designed (apparently between the time I went to sleep and the time the dream started Brandt became an accomplished architect). Then it shifted and you and your family were living in Texas with us, but apparently in the same two story home that was in Africa.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Oh wow that really sounds horrendous :( The very least you could ask for is for them to actually stick to the schedule that they have given you or update it if they need to. 

To be precise, Eskom (electr.supplier) gives numbers to the municipalities, and they come up with the schedules. And they aren't keeping to the schedules. BUT the local political representative (for this suburb) who needs to inform us of what goes on (w.r.t. municipal and other issues) said that so many big electricity boxes that supply suburbs, have blown, burst into flames or cables burnt out these last couple of weeks, that they don't have to, or can't do load shedding, because the electricity in other suburbs are off enough. We had three incidences at the beginning of December, just before going to Sabie. There's also been rumors that certain political affiliations caused some of the explosions, but... There are so much fake news going around that it is hard to figure out just what is truth and what is fake. Like the 36 ships full of coal being sent to China because they bailed out Eskom.

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I had a dream last night where Sra. Tanque and I met you and Brandt in Africa, except it wasn't your IRL home, it was some weird complex in the bush Brandt had designed (apparently between the time I went to sleep and the time the dream started Brandt became an accomplished architect). Then it shifted and you and your family were living in Texas with us, but apparently in the same two story home that was in Africa.

Oh wow! *big eyes*. Brandt chuckled when I told him, then reminded me of our joke-conversation at his mom's house. He told her he was thinking of buying an old hangar/workshop and divide it into two floors: bottom one for Brandt's cars and mechanic stuff, and top one as our house/living areas (sound proof). He went on to say it would be on the outskirts of town, in the middle of a field, so no neighbours to complain about the noise, open enough for us to see anyone coming from a distance, and enough nature for me to be happy. I jumped in and mentioned some of the features (safety/security) I read that Dirk Pitt had in his hangar/workshop/house in the Clive Cussler novels. :D His mom was not happy. We would actually consider it, but I would end up being the one having to design the layout, and think up all the architectural things.

We've postponed getting the boys' new birth certificates till new year, because they can't do it online, and the home affairs offices in town and neighbouring town are overflowing with people at the moment. Only after that has been done, can we try to apply for passports. We'll have to see how things progress as our elections get closer next year. Apparently they'll be held in May.

• Sad 3

18 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hope you have a wonderful day Elize... xx

Thanks Liz. Hope yours was good too.

And @TGP too.

------------------------------------------------

Wednesday:

Things are fine... rolling along. Exercised Sunday and Monday, skipped Tuesday. Also didn't walk with Brandt as he had to take 2hrs off from work early morning to go for his chiro and massage appointments. Luckily all the inflammation in his right leg is gone, so he's started cycling to work again. I'll exercise again this afternoon. Now that we don't have to go out for extra-murals in the afternoons, I find that I enjoy doing the strength training just before I have to start dinner (+-15h30-16h15). The boys are doing their exercises every weekday morning. They're now doing double (or two sets), meaning 10 of everything. Some complaints, but soon forgotten when they go on the computer. All three of us (boys and I) have been almost ravenous most of yesterday again. We all tried to curb our eating, but we did eat more than usual. HUNGRY!

Bible study done. Drank enough water (flavoured with chopped apple and cucumber). Usually go to bed before 22h00. Last night was by 21h30! Daily finances are keeping me busy as Brandt realised this is the last week he can order metal, gas (welding), etc. to work on things at home Christmas, and New Year's weeks. Most of our manufacturing shops are closing end of this week.

It seems our education dept. is sending letters out to the churches now on what is acceptable to be taught and by whom, and the Sunday school classes now also seem to have to register with the education dept.??? That is such a huge overstep of law, it isn't even funny. But uninformed people now try to adhere to it, "because the gov. said this way".

• Like 8

you are rocking things in so many ways again. It's like I look away and when looking back you rocked umpteen things again :D

Awesome job on those push ups and all! :triumphant: Full push ups are hard!
No wonder you're hungry :) 

Great job on keeping your holidays in safe boundaries too, if I may pick that up (because that is how far back I had to catch up) and yay for your communication becoming so good with B too. It's essential in a marriage, isn't it.

I just love how the boys pick out things so straight on, like what does a surname have to do with what sport they do :lol: brilliant! We should all be this straight lined it would simplify so much

Curious and excited with you for all the books coming for Christmas, squeee. Am sure the boys will love the Star Wars book! By the way, what movie decision did you take in the end? Or is that to happen still?

Big kudos also on the daily finances, much impressed!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

T as Brandt realised this is the last week he can order metal, gas (welding), etc. to work on things at home Christmas, and New Year's weeks.

I am glad I am not the only one who has got the same problem. This year I have solved the issue by not having any money to buy anything, so I will have to make do with my scrap pile.

Quote by Dave Gingery:

"Most of my life was spent in trying to figure out how to do a $50.00 project for 50 cents, and the remainder of my time was spent in trying to scrounge up the 50 cents."

• Like 4

15 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Great job on keeping your holidays in safe boundaries too, if I may pick that up (because that is how far back I had to catch up) and yay for your communication becoming so good with B too. It's essential in a marriage, isn't it.

Boundaries is a thing! It has slowly but surely improved these last... 4 years!

Good communication definitely is essential! I'm reading a book @Tanktimus the Encourager and @Elastigirl recommended. Brandt doesn't like reading these kinds of books, but he loves it if I quote things that I feel are applicable, to him. Then we sit and discuss.

I just love how the boys pick out things so straight on, like what does a surname have to do with what sport they do :lol: brilliant! We should all be this straight lined it would simplify so much

I can honestly say, their house/home life is totally different than either mine or Brandt's was, when we were this age. I like that they think and question the norm, then choose what seems sensible, or what works for them/us.

They often overhear when B and I discuss things, and I like that they know you have to talk, and you have to have that confidence that you can talk to your husband/wife/partner. I'm hoping it will make some parts of adult life easier for them. We had a friend who kept telling us that his marriage was a disaster because his wife questioned him, or would talk back, or they would have different opinions or likes and dislikes. It took a while before he came round to the idea that just because you're married doesn't mean you suddenly love/like/dislike everything exactly as your wife/husband does! Apparently his parents never disagreed or discussed things in front of him, and he thought that was how a marriage should be, with absolutely no disagreements! B and I know there will always be things we don't agree on, and now we are learning how to handle it, and talk about it, taking the other person's feelings into consideration because we KNOW the other person is good-willed and not meaning harm or hurt. It also helps to get over the past hurts and experiences.

Curious and excited with you for all the books coming for Christmas, squeee.

The parcel was sent via courier yesterday. It should arrive Christmas week. It wasn't intended as Christmas presents though, so I'm just glad it will arrive shortly. It is currently in Columbia, SC US ???

I put some local things on an online shop's wish list for actual Christmas presents, and thought ok , I could buy it this week seeing as they said 3-4 days delivery, and they'll send it out within 1-2 days of paying. When I looked yesterday to order, they have changed the deadlines to 7-11days for them to receive the products, and then only send it out! So now I'm taking the boys to the shops today to choose something for Christmas. I know it won't be that exciting, but knowing what your getting is at least better than not getting anything, isn't it? And seeing as Rocco has admitted he knows we buy the presents and there isn't really a Father Christmas, it won't spoil that surprise. Last year he refused to admit any such thing! :D I think last year was the first year that we actually bought something small for Brandt and myself as well, because my mom was here, otherwise we only buy for the kids. This year we'll buy something small for each of us again, but something we actually need. I've got my eye on an OWB holster which I need for club shoots. I've put it on as "prize" so many times for NF challenges, but never got it.

By the way, what movie decision did you take in the end? Or is that to happen still?

The boys are sticking to seeing the PG13 Deadpool :( It started yesterday, but I'll take them next week Tuesday morning when they have a discount for parents and children. It is their end of school year "prize", and we finished school work this week. Only review lessons left basically, which I'll start them off on next year.

16 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Big kudos also on the daily finances, much impressed!!

Thanks! I'll start catching up on the other finances tomorrow (Friday), and should hopefully finish all three months' stuff in 1 week and 2 weekends.

10 hours ago, Jakkals said:

I am glad I am not the only one who has got the same problem. This year I have solved the issue by not having any money to buy anything, so I will have to make do with my scrap pile.

I had to order him two round tubing pipes for safety bars inside Skedonk, the car that is supposed to be his actual rally car one day. The guy at the gas shop gave him a deal for being a good client, otherwise things would have been tight. Brandt mentioned last night that he has so much scrap that he needs to sort out, so apparently this weekend he is going to clean out the garage and re-organise things!

I was wondering how your welding and metal work were coming along. There is a guy here who are making dinosaurs from scrap metal. He has a huge, but I mean HUGE T-rex in front of his business, and a Brachiosaurus stands in the field across the road. I really must take photos. Every time I drive past I think of all the things you made previously, and your knives!

------------------------------------------------------------

School's Done!

As I mentioned to LFD above, the boys and I are going to the mall this morning to buy them each something for Christmas. We'll see "end of school year" movie next week, which will be PG 13 Deadpool.

I did my exercises yesterday and upped the deadlifts with 2kg, but I think I'll stay where I am for the time being as I got a sharp pain in my shin as well as just above the back of my knee while doing them yesterday. Ok, have to rush now, as I don't want to have to wade through throngs of people at the mall. This time of year is crazy!

• Like 5