Image result for die hard
Main Quest
To live a healthy and balanced life by exercising and trying to eat healthy.

My Motivation
I've successfully dropped weight by counting calories, so my diet will mostly be staying the same with 1200 calories per day M-F and then blow meals on the weekends. I've managed to put on some muscle in an effort to become stronger by weightlifting and I’ve discovered that I love lifting heavy things! 

I’m not quite done with my previous challenge, since I’ve still got 4 more days of NaNoWriMo left, but I wanted to get this out there since a new challenge started yesterday.

Because we’re coming into the Christmas season, my theme for this challenge will be holiday-appropriate with Die Hard. Yes, the holiday classic with excellent quotability and the king of badasses, Bruce Willis. As he’s more stealthy and fast than a straight-up bruiser, I’m staying with the Rangers for this challenge.

1. “Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker.” - John McClane = Weightlifting

I enjoy weight lifting, and it’s been awhile since it was a regular part of my gym routine, so I’m back at it again with this challenge.

And, as a cop, McClane would have to be physically fit for the job. Doubly so in the movie since he’s got to hang onto a fire hose dangling from a skyscraper. 

I want to achieve the following:
Bench press: 70lbs → 90lbs
Squat: 65lbs → 85lbs
Tricep Pullovers: 20lbs → 30lbs
Deadlift: 80lbs → 100lbs
Pullups: 4 → 7 (with good form!)

Scoring: /5 
Reward: +3 STR & +3 CHA

2. “Hey, sprechen ze talk?” - Harry Ellis = Spanish
We’re going back to Cozumel in January for a week of diving. It’s been a few months, so I want to practice my Spanish again to refresh before the trip. 

I know the bad guys in the movie are German, or a bad interpretation of an English/German (Hans, I’m looking at you), but Spanish is a close enough stand-in. ;)

Scoring: x/20 once a day during the week, Monday through Friday
Reward: +3 to WIS

3. “Walk around on the rug barefoot and make fists with your toes.” - Businessman = Walking
This is a great miniquest because not only is it great exercise, but it’s not as exhausting as running. Plus, McClane walks, sneaks rather, around everywhere in the movie. 

Scoring: x/30 miles in 4 weeks (7.5 miles per week)
Reward: +3 CON & +3 DEX

Image result for die hard welcome to the party pal

• Like 1

Do I follow the letter of my challenge or the spirit of it?

I did not specify that I intended to go for a minimum set number of 6 reps for each weightlifting goal, just that I had to hit the goal weight. Nor did I specify 7 pullups at once

I managed to get 1 rep at 90lbs for my bench press today, which technically means I achieved  that goal successfully. However, I normally only count it as successful if I can do 6 reps minimum because that's always the minimum amount I aim to do per set. I also technically did 7 pullups today,  just across three different sets (3,3,2=8). 

So which is it: literal or ideal?

Challenge Recap
1. “Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker.” = Weightlifting
- Bench press: 70lbs → 90lbs = achieved 1 rep on 12/18/18
- Squat: 65lbs → 85lbs = achieved 6 reps on 12/12/18
- Tricep Pullovers: 20lbs → 30lbs = achieved 6 reps, 2 sets 12/18/18
- Deadlift: 80lbs → 100lbs = achieved 6 reps, 3 sets 12/18/18
- Pullups: 4 → 7 (with good form!) = I did 7 in 1 workout session, but not 7 in 1 set

Scoring: 4/5 
Reward: +3 STR & +3 CHA

2. “Hey, sprechen ze talk?” = Spanish

Scoring: 19/20 
Reward: +3 to WIS

3. “Walk around on the rug barefoot and make fists with your toes.” = Walking

Scoring: 27/30 miles 
Reward: +3 CON & +3 DEX

• Like 1