Jump to content

DrFeelgood: I'll do what I want


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

I reconfigured the Christmas tree to gain access to the treadmill.  And I got to work early this morning so I could get home in time to do a bit of walking before dinner.  I'd still like to do some planking and stretching, maybe I'll aim for the later evening for that so it will (1) help me be conscious of not over-eating at dinner, and (2) break up the monotony of doing all the exercise under time constraints.  Who knows?  It might just work

Looks like you've got a good setup going on. This will definitely work :)

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 10:47 AM, SkyGirl said:

I do get this!! Especially if you do your exercise in a gym and see all those hyper crazy people doing 500 mph on ellipticals and whatnot ... accepting that "exercise" can be a wee bit of bodyweight or half an hour of yoga is a mindset shift indeed. Does exercising at home help at all? Or does it still feel like "my heart isn't exploding and I'm not dying; therefore, I'm not really exercising"?

 

Go for it!!! I believe in you!!!  :D

You know what it seems to come down to?  I just don't want to bother changing clothes after work. :lol:  If I go upstairs and take my work clothes off then I put jammies on.  I'm not going to be doing any movement in my jammies.  I'm also not going to be doing any movement in my work clothes.

 

22 hours ago, Raxie said:

Yay for plans! Hope it works :)

It probably would have if I had any inclination to put on gym clothes.

 

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Then I ask you never to exercise again. Just move. That movement can be a body-weight workout, it can be lifting, it can be a walk, it can involve kettlebells. Move, work out, but never exercise again.

All of that is exercise.  :D  I'm terrible at moving just for the sake of moving--even when I was "exercising" it was mostly about seeing how much weight I could lift.  I miss being excited to get under the barbell.

 

18 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The simple goal of move daily is the one most people need.

Maybe I should be looking for a part-time job for a few hours a day after my regular career where I can just stock shelves somewhere from 7 to 10, M-F.

 

12 hours ago, Terah said:

Looks like you've got a good setup going on. This will definitely work :)

I'm slowly removing hurdles, at least.  Now I gotta figure out this clothes thing.

__________________________________________

 

Yesterday didn't quite pan out all the way, but it was still a major improvement over recent months.  I woke up early and went to work.  I had just one Dr Pepper to start the day and drank only water afterwards.  My eating went a little astray when I had some chips before lunch and then a bit of salami after dinner, but my meals were reasonable and I didn't overeat.  Plus I eschewed MFG's nachos later in the evening as she was returning from the troop meeting.  I feel pretty good about my intake choices.

 

Output was less impressive.  It's getting cold here, and the house was chilly when I got home so I refused to undress. :)  That meant no walking (other than to retrieve the garbage bin and collect the mail) or planking.  I did a little bit of stretching before dinner, but my energy levels went through the floor after the meal.  The rest of the night was spent watching TV, playing video games, and putting off going to bed until after the hockey game.

 

Despite going full couch potato the day was still a big step in the right direction, and that little bit of momentum is helping me to overcome a couple of small temptations today (at least, so far).

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

Despite going full couch potato the day was still a big step in the right direction, and that little bit of momentum is helping me to overcome a couple of small temptations today (at least, so far).

 

Finding the silver lining, I see. Very good, sir, very good indeed! 

 

Image result for approval nod gif

 

What you should do the next time you come home and it's cold in the house- take your jammies and toss them in the dyer for 10 min then immediately switch into them once they are nice and hot and ready to be worn :D. If that's too much work, then...well...I'm out of ideas. :P 

 

Wolf

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a jammies/t-shirt hybrid you would work out in? What if you change out of your work clothes into workout clothes before driving home? Then you're all cued up.

 

I don't really have to dress for my job, and our shift to hitting the climbing gym in the morning means I work in the same clothes I climb in: jeans, sports bra and sleeveless tshirt hidden under a longsleeve and a flannel. It's cold enough in the gym that my sportsbra doesn't get super sweaty though. When I ride all the way in, regardless of temperature, I have to change. YMMV.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 1:10 PM, Wolfpool said:

What you should do the next time you come home and it's cold in the house- take your jammies and toss them in the dyer for 10 min then immediately switch into them once they are nice and hot and ready to be worn :D. If that's too much work, then...well...I'm out of ideas. :P

That does make for some nice toasty jammies.  :)

 

On 12/4/2018 at 1:22 PM, DaemonCorax said:

Is there a jammies/t-shirt hybrid you would work out in? What if you change out of your work clothes into workout clothes before driving home? Then you're all cued up.

 

I don't really have to dress for my job, and our shift to hitting the climbing gym in the morning means I work in the same clothes I climb in: jeans, sports bra and sleeveless tshirt hidden under a longsleeve and a flannel. It's cold enough in the gym that my sportsbra doesn't get super sweaty though. When I ride all the way in, regardless of temperature, I have to change. YMMV.

If I worked out in jammies, then they wouldn't be jammies anymore.  ;)  I sweat enough just when playing video games, so if I did yoga in my sleep clothes then I'd still have to shower and change into something else.  Barbells were worth the hassle, yoga not so much.

 

On 12/4/2018 at 2:10 PM, Raxie said:

Could you wear work out clothes under your work clothes or change before leaving work? Or get new jammies you're comfy working out in?

If I lost a bunch of pounds then I might be able to get gym shorts on under my trousers.  As it stands now I can barely get all of me into them. :D  The other problem is that I bought all my workout clothes when I was lean, so now I hate wearing them all.  Losing weight would help on all fronts, it seems.

 

On 12/4/2018 at 2:54 PM, deftona said:

Just do what I do and work out in your underwear. 

 

It's a treat for MFG too. ETA: When you do it, not when I do it. 

Says the person who doesn't have four tweens & teens occupying every square inch of your space.

 

That would not be a treat for anyone.  I look like middle-aged Zangief many years after he retired from fighting and let himself slide.

 

On 12/4/2018 at 3:26 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Work at UPS unloading trucks part time. I went from 145# to 165# of beefcake in one year. Most folks trimmed down about 20# in their first year (if they stuck it out).

I actually looked...there isn't a UPS hub in my town.  :(

 

On 12/5/2018 at 12:49 AM, Terah said:

I sleep in workout clothes.

That's the most likely to happen, I think--especially if I can lose some of this belly and get comfortable in the workout clothes again.  Maybe a morning pray-walk-plank-stretch-shower routine is just what I need to get my days moving in the right direction.

______________________________

 

Tuesday was fine, pretty much a carbon copy of Monday.  MFG was supposed to have a get-together at the house in the evening, so I got tickets to take the kids to see the new Ralph movie.  It was better than I expected.  We got home to find that MFG's group all cancelled on her, so she had a nice evening to herself at the house (with an impromptu trip to the Whataburger drive-thru).

 

Wednesday was a spontaneous day off due to the federal stand-down for the former President's funeral.  I tried to be a ghost at home so as not to interfere with their homeschool routine.  I put in the earbuds and camped at my PC, playing games, watching videos, catching up on news, trading Rocket League items, etc.  I ranked up to Diamond III for the first time, so it's plausible that I could make Champ by the end of the current season.  In the evening I melted on the sofa and streamed youtube clips while the kids were at youth group.  Later on I stayed up a little too late to watch a west-coast hockey game.  Just one more thing I loathe about living here.  My eating and drinking choices were all fine, though I didn't do much in the way of activity.

 

My effort to look at houses here again has morphed into looking at jobs in other states.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

If I worked out in jammies, then they wouldn't be jammies anymore.  ;)  I sweat enough just when playing video games, so if I did yoga in my sleep clothes then I'd still have to shower and change into something else.  Barbells were worth the hassle, yoga not so much.

 

Gotcha. Just looking for tiny opportunities to remove hurdles. My bike clothes are NOT my work clothes even when they come out of the same drawer in my closet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

Gotcha. Just looking for tiny opportunities to remove hurdles. My bike clothes are NOT my work clothes even when they come out of the same drawer in my closet.

I appreciate the extra eyes.  Maybe y'all will see something I'm overlooking.

 

But I'm also really good at identifying hurdles of any size in an effort to not do anything. :D

 

21 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

excited-anna.gif

Well you know what's at the top of my list.  Right now my boggle is whether I want to continue in this profession or not.  The last 14 years have just about beaten all remaining enjoyment out of it.

 

15 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

You don’t seem that happy in OK, might as well move.

To be fair it's a fine (if somewhat quirky) state and I am grateful for a lot of things regarding the move.  If I never have to shovel another pile of snow it will still be too soon.  I simply did not anticipate how little there was going to be for civilian men of my age here in Buttcrack, OK.  There was a lot more that I liked to do when I lived in Iowa; and even Armpit, NM was better despite being less than 1/2 the size of Buttcrack.  Then again I was younger and less encumbered, so maybe I'm remembering something I wouldn't have if I were back there today.

 

I also have aged pretty hard in the last few years, and that certainly taints my outlook in general...regardless of where I'm physically standing on the planet.  But I'd rather cope with this knee pain while eating brisket in Texas.  ;)

________________________

 

Yesterday was okay, I suppose.  I stuck to one Dr Pepper in the morning, but neglected to refill with water afterward.  I didn't have a lunch, so at noon I ran to the minimart for a snack and ended up with a bag of Cheetos, a salami-cheese thing, and a Diet DP for the energy perk to get through the afternoon.  Then I worked late to finish up the day, and MFG brought the boys to my office so we could leave straight to neighbor town for their troop meeting.  After checking them in I went in to town for a burrito (chorizo and eggs with cheese and pico de gallo), which was big but kinda boring.  The last bite was super vinegary for some reason, so I snagged a chocolate bar on the way back to the troop meeting.  Once I got back home I ate a few chocolate truffles and then closed the book on the day's eating.

 

Without logging anything I felt like I'd done okay this week--snacking was significantly down and my meals were being pretty reasonable.  Alas, this morning I hopped on the scale to see where I am and it's actually almost a pound heavier than Sunday.

 

when-i-loose-playing-cards-table-flip-fr

 

I'm blaming burrito bloat.  Hopefully Sunday's number will be better.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2018 at 11:51 AM, DrFeelgood said:

almost a pound heavier

 

I'm torn between saying "ah, man, I'm so sorry, that sucks" and "but keep in mind it's only a pound, and weight can easily fluctuate up and down by a pound or more over the course of a day".

 

So I shall say both.  :) 

 

Do you mind reminding me what industry you're in? I'd hate to pull you away from @Tanktimus the Encourager, but I'm quite fond of the Midwest and it has some decent opportunities of various sorts.  :) 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2018 at 12:09 PM, Terah said:

Scales are liars, it looks like you're doing great :)

Scales are the most objective thing on the planet.  Now mirrors on the other hand...those things lie like the devil.  :)

 

On 12/9/2018 at 1:17 AM, SkyGirl said:

I'm torn between saying "ah, man, I'm so sorry, that sucks" and "but keep in mind it's only a pound, and weight can easily fluctuate up and down by a pound or more over the course of a day".

 

So I shall say both.  :) 

 

Do you mind reminding me what industry you're in? I'd hate to pull you away from @Tanktimus the Encourager, but I'm quite fond of the Midwest and it has some decent opportunities of various sorts.  :) 

It's not the pound up that bugs me, it's the bunked expectation of a pound or two down based on my impressions of how I'd been doing with my goals.  That's a three pound swing.  ;)

 

But mostly it means that my impressions must be off.  I'm fine with gaining weight when I'm bingeing on ice cream every night--that makes sense to me.  But failing to lose and instead gaining (what turned out to be) a pound and a half when I'm actually more focused on my eating pisses me off--again not because of the gain per se but because it means that I'm either underestimating what I've been doing or that something in my metabolism has undergone a significant change.  I don't like either of those prospects.

 

On the other hand, my impressions have been just that--unquantified and largely unthinking quasi-mental guesstimates of what I've been doing.  And mainly that meant just not eating ice cream. :D

_____________________________________

 

Sunday didn't get a number.  I basically ignored everything for several days while I dealt with the emotional fallout of last week's stupidity while trying not to fall back in to old patterns over a long, cold, and dreary weekend (with some success--I did not at any time give in to the ice cream).  I finally got back on the scale Tuesday morning to find that I was up yet again to 249.4 lbs; 2 pounds heavier than at the challenge start, my second-highest recorded weight in 2018, and nearly a full 30 pounds up from where I was this time last year.  To say 2018 hasn't gone as I'd hoped is a gross understatement.

 

This rut I'm in is kicking my ass.

  • Sad 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

Sunday didn't get a number.  I basically ignored everything for several days while I dealt with the emotional fallout of last week's stupidity while trying not to fall back in to old patterns over a long, cold, and dreary weekend (with some success--I did not at any time give in to the ice cream).  I finally got back on the scale Tuesday morning to find that I was up yet again to 249.4 lbs; 2 pounds heavier than at the challenge start, my second-highest recorded weight in 2018, and nearly a full 30 pounds up from where I was this time last year.  To say 2018 hasn't gone as I'd hoped is a gross understatement.

 

This rut I'm in is kicking my ass.

Been thinking about you off and on. I'm sorry you've had such a rough year.

 

Is it weird that when I pray for you I use your NF name and not your real name?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrFeelgood said:

I finally got back on the scale Tuesday morning to find that I was up yet again to 249.4 lbs; 2 pounds heavier than at the challenge start, my second-highest recorded weight in 2018, and nearly a full 30 pounds up from where I was this time last year.  To say 2018 hasn't gone as I'd hoped is a gross understatement.

 

This rut I'm in is kicking my ass.

I'm sorry 2018 hasn't been kind.  I hope you find your mojo soon.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

But mostly it means that my impressions must be off.  I'm fine with gaining weight when I'm bingeing on ice cream every night--that makes sense to me.  But failing to lose and instead gaining (what turned out to be) a pound and a half when I'm actually more focused on my eating pisses me off--again not because of the gain per se but because it means that I'm either underestimating what I've been doing or that something in my metabolism has undergone a significant change.  I don't like either of those prospects.

 

I definitely relate to this - I've never had a good sense of whether I should be gaining or losing either. Usually my body ends up doing pretty much the opposite of what I think it should be doing. I don't have any good recommendations for fixing the disconnect - it's why I have to go back to measuring calories and steps when I need to recalibrate. 

 

I'm so sorry things haven't been going the way you wanted them to go. I hope you find the end of the rut soon - and never forget that we're all here for you while you're looking. You're not in this by yourself.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Scales are the most objective thing on the planet.  Now mirrors on the other hand...those things lie like the devil.  :)

Have you tried measuring your body fat percentage? A scale also measures fluid retention, muscle mass, food that's still in your system etc. 

I mean: my scale tells me that I weigh the same as I did 6 years ago, but my body fat has dropped over 10% (I really didn't have any muscle back then). 

 

10 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

This rut I'm in is kicking my ass.

If this isn't working, why don't you go about it a completely other way. I mean, what do you have to lose? IE is really working for me right now. And this accountability group is helping me tons:

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Terah said:

Have you tried measuring your body fat percentage? A scale also measures fluid retention, muscle mass, food that's still in your system etc. 

I mean: my scale tells me that I weigh the same as I did 6 years ago, but my body fat has dropped over 10% (I really didn't have any muscle back then). 

 

If this isn't working, why don't you go about it a completely other way. I mean, what do you have to lose? IE is really working for me right now. And this accountability group is helping me tons:

 

Yes, yes, to Terah you listen!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Is it weird that when I pray for you I use your NF name and not your real name?

 

Does anyone here have a real name??? I talk about you guys outloud to Mr. Raxie and use your forum names, and since he knows everyone by their real names he always asks for clarification and I get confused.  It feels wrong somehow calling y'all not by your NF handles.

 

On 12/12/2018 at 3:39 PM, DrFeelgood said:

To say 2018 hasn't gone as I'd hoped is a gross understatement.

 

Ugh I'm sorry DFG! I know it's not just the weight, and that that seems to be a symptom of other things that are getting you down, but the success or failure of 2018 does NOT rest on your weight at the end of it.  I hope 2019 can be a fresh start for you.  Hugs!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Does anyone here have a real name??? I talk about you guys outloud to Mr. Raxie and use your forum names, and since he knows everyone by their real names he always asks for clarification and I get confused.  It feels wrong somehow calling y'all not by your NF handles.

 

Same! My husband knows forum people by their real names and it's really weird, because I have to remember who I am talking to when I talk about forum peeps. Although, I have been Sylvaa for like 18 years now, so even my husband doesn't blink an eye if someone calls me that.

 

This week I sent @fleaball a text message in regards to another forum friend, used her IRL name (which is also my daughter's name) and confused Flea. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...