DrFeelgood: I'll do what I want

45 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Does anyone here have a real name??? I talk about you guys outloud to Mr. Raxie and use your forum names, and since he knows everyone by their real names he always asks for clarification and I get confused.  It feels wrong somehow calling y'all not by your NF handles.

You do. Sra. Tanque knows you by your real name, as well as anyone else she's FB friends with, so I have to remember which name to use when I talking to her.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Raxie said:

a real name

Cheetah is my real name.

J/K.  But sometimes I seriously consider changing my real name to Cheetah.  It's good that I have my beautiful and sensible wife to keep me from making poor life decisions.

On 12/12/2018 at 3:39 PM, DrFeelgood said:

This rut I'm in is kicking my ass.

That stinks.  I hate ruts.  For what it's worth, I just started Intuitive Eating.  I can't report results yet, so maybe it will work for me and maybe it won't.  But I can tell you that it has definitely shaken me out of my rut and given me something new to think about.

In any case, I'm praying it up for you.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You do. Sra. Tanque knows you by your real name, as well as anyone else she's FB friends with, so I have to remember which name to use when I talking to her.

I have the same problem when I'm talking to Sra. Tanque, she calls you by your real name and I call you Tank and then we kind of blink at each other for a second. Same goes for @Wolfpool and @PrincessMononoke.

I also agree with Terah, DFG, that maybe it's time to shake things up a little bit. Not a lot, not tot he point you get overwhelmed; but try tweaking a few things and see what happens.

Or do a completely overwhelming 180-degree mindset switch, whichever you prefer.  ;) 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Real talk though doc, it's time to come back and post.

3 hours ago, Terah said:

Paging Dr. Feelgood, dr. Feelgood to the forums please! 

We miss you! 

117ALT1_1k.jpg

I'm not ignoring y'all, I just need a little solitude to recharge.  I appreciate the reaching out, and all of the well wishes from the previous page onward.

Today is my last work day of the year: we're headed out to MIL's for the next two weeks of holiday & family celebrations.  I should have some down time to do a more complete update once we've arrived.  Rest assured, I'm well and improving--largely thanks to all your prayers, good vibes, and general positivity.  I really do treasure these friendships.

• Like 6
On 12/12/2018 at 2:39 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Been thinking about you off and on. I'm sorry you've had such a rough year.

Is it weird that when I pray for you I use your NF name and not your real name?

Not weird at all.  I pray for everyone on NF by their screenname--the only exception is the Wolf family.

On 12/12/2018 at 2:50 PM, Shello said:

I'm sorry 2018 hasn't been kind.  I hope you find your mojo soon.  

Thanks, I'm considering the year a write-off in terms of fitness.  In other terms it was definitely a weird one--like a junior year of high school with nothing to achieve, nothing to start, nothing to finish; just an unending middle.

On 12/12/2018 at 3:19 PM, deftona said:

Wanna take a rain check on the HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS thing and make this and the Doodlie calendar happen in December 2019?

We got this <4

Yes please.  We check the rains (down in Africa).  Next year I'll be 42, and that sounds like a good calendar age if ever there was one. ;)

On 12/12/2018 at 10:22 PM, SkyGirl said:

I definitely relate to this - I've never had a good sense of whether I should be gaining or losing either. Usually my body ends up doing pretty much the opposite of what I think it should be doing. I don't have any good recommendations for fixing the disconnect - it's why I have to go back to measuring calories and steps when I need to recalibrate. 

I'm so sorry things haven't been going the way you wanted them to go. I hope you find the end of the rut soon - and never forget that we're all here for you while you're looking. You're not in this by yourself.

I've definitely done my best work when I've been completely empirical about tracking my progress and calculating my goals.  I'm really good at it, I just can't seem to give a rip about doing it lately.  There hasn't really been anything to work toward, so without a reason the work just becomes work for work's sake.  That's not my jam.

On 12/13/2018 at 12:30 AM, Terah said:

Have you tried measuring your body fat percentage? A scale also measures fluid retention, muscle mass, food that's still in your system etc. 

I mean: my scale tells me that I weigh the same as I did 6 years ago, but my body fat has dropped over 10% (I really didn't have any muscle back then). 

If this isn't working, why don't you go about it a completely other way. I mean, what do you have to lose? IE is really working for me right now. And this accountability group is helping me tons:

I'll get some more objective body composition measurements soon.  But BF% is usually only a meaningful variable if I've been exercising, which I haven't.  It's simply not possible that any of the excess 50+ pounds I'm carrying is of any kind of quality.  The plus-onesies here and there are only a symptom of my choices; but it's the choices themselves that need attending.

Going intuitive for me just feels like the wrong direction.  I want more structure, not less.

On 12/13/2018 at 7:32 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Yes, yes, to Terah you listen!

I don't buy or prepare the bulk of my food, so my agency in these things is limited.

On 12/13/2018 at 2:23 PM, Raxie said:

Does anyone here have a real name??? I talk about you guys outloud to Mr. Raxie and use your forum names, and since he knows everyone by their real names he always asks for clarification and I get confused.  It feels wrong somehow calling y'all not by your NF handles.

Ugh I'm sorry DFG! I know it's not just the weight, and that that seems to be a symptom of other things that are getting you down, but the success or failure of 2018 does NOT rest on your weight at the end of it.  I hope 2019 can be a fresh start for you.  Hugs!

I only remember Mr. Raxie by his real name, but I almost never think of you as anything other than Raxie--even when I was searching for you in the global email list. :D

Thanks, I'm looking forward to a better 2019, too.

On 12/13/2018 at 2:32 PM, Sylvaa said:

Same! My husband knows forum people by their real names and it's really weird, because I have to remember who I am talking to when I talk about forum peeps. Although, I have been Sylvaa for like 18 years now, so even my husband doesn't blink an eye if someone calls me that.

This week I sent @fleaball a text message in regards to another forum friend, used her IRL name (which is also my daughter's name) and confused Flea. 

MFG only knows people from Tank's wedding, and those she only remembers by physical description.  She's awesome at faces, but less so with names.  @deftona is my "British nerd friend".  :D

On 12/13/2018 at 3:09 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Meanwhile it takes me a full minute to put her face with "Sra. Tanque" but her real name recalls it instantly.

On 12/13/2018 at 5:35 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Mrs. Sloth can’t keep any one of you straight. She knows y’all by, “Is that the guy that..?”

"...barely fit in to his clothes at the wedding?"  "...had all the kids that ate most of the food at the reception?"  Yup, that's me. :lol:

On 12/13/2018 at 8:34 PM, Cheetah said:

Cheetah is my real name.

J/K.  But sometimes I seriously consider changing my real name to Cheetah.  It's good that I have my beautiful and sensible wife to keep me from making poor life decisions.

That stinks.  I hate ruts.  For what it's worth, I just started Intuitive Eating.  I can't report results yet, so maybe it will work for me and maybe it won't.  But I can tell you that it has definitely shaken me out of my rut and given me something new to think about.

In any case, I'm praying it up for you.

Thanks, brother.  I like good ruts, but I'm not fond of this most recent one.

On 12/13/2018 at 10:05 PM, SkyGirl said:

I have the same problem when I'm talking to Sra. Tanque, she calls you by your real name and I call you Tank and then we kind of blink at each other for a second. Same goes for @Wolfpool and @PrincessMononoke.

I also agree with Terah, DFG, that maybe it's time to shake things up a little bit. Not a lot, not tot he point you get overwhelmed; but try tweaking a few things and see what happens.

Or do a completely overwhelming 180-degree mindset switch, whichever you prefer.  ;) 

Well I did decide to tackle one small thing to close out the challenge.  More on that to follow...

On 12/19/2018 at 8:05 AM, Raxie said:

Actually hilariously on the topic, we were talking about Tank's wedding last night and Mr. Raxie mentioned you (DFG) by your real name and I had no idea who he was talking about XD. Literally had to look you up on facebook hahaha

Most of the people in my life call me "Babe", "Dad", or "Sir".  I genuinely forget I even have a name sometimes.  ;)

• Like 4

Ah, the end of the final 2018 challenge.  And as has been my pattern with every other challenge this year I started relatively strong and then let it completely fizzle.  The silver lining of this last challenge is that I managed to unfizzle and accomplish something useful in the final week.

I gave up Dr Pepper.  I actually gave up drinking everything but water (and once I finished the milk from the bottom of a bowl of cereal, but I count that as eating :D).

It was the first thing I did back in 2015 when I got started on the path to lean and strong, and ever since I reallowed sodas back in to my routine I've been struggling and failing and generally losing all will to keep plugging.  Now those are correlations not causations, and I'm certainly not blaming one for the other; but it stands to reason that if I want to get back to kicking butt then starting over with the same first step certainly can't hurt.  It's been a full week now since I had anything but water to drink, and I'm calling that a major victory to end the year.  It's certainly got me feeling more optimistic about taking the next steps to start 2019 off in the right direction.

In objective terms, I'm at my second heaviest ever and I've been hovering here for weeks.  Giving up soda wasn't easy, so I didn't impose any further disciplines on my eating.  That means no weight results, yet.  And since we're on vacation through the next two weeks I'll only focus on continuing my water streak.  Next year will simply begin wherever it will begin.  As for today, the scale says 249.8 lbs.  That makes perfect sense given the way I've been living.

Before we get back home to OK we'll have Brick's birthday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, my birthday, New Year's Day, and my 15th wedding anniversary with MFG.  That's a lot of celebration with wonderful family, good food, and plenty of cake and ice cream.  I'm going to relish all of it, then when I get home we're going to party like it's 2015 all over again. B)

• Like 5