[NeverThatBored] Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot NTB [Part 2]

I'm back!! I meant to post an update right before I left but I didn't get to it. The trip was a lot of fun! It was a road trip up a section of the CA coast, from around LA to San Francisco and back down. I finally got to see Big Sur, which has been on my travel list for a long time! And a bakery located there that had stuck in my head from a scone recipe I read years ago. :) It was elephant seal season, so we got to see a bunch of them gathered on the beaches. We saw a ton of other wild marine life on the trip too, plus lots of birds and cows and a grove full of monarch butterflies. We went to the famous Monterey Aquarium!

And I got this great sweatshirt nearby:

Spoiler

nerdistotter.jpg&f=1

We watched the meteor shower by the beach, and I got to spend time in a jacuzzi near the waves, which honestly was probably the best part of the trip. We saw really sweet redwoods up near SF, and we went to a lot of cities that had only been names to me before, like Berkeley and Santa Barbara. We went through Napa too, but mainly just got Italian food there since I don't care for wine.

ANDANDAND I did a drop in workout at San Francisco Crossfit, which is one of the oldest Crossfit affiliates...I wanted to go there because Kelly Starrett was one of the co-founders, even though I didn't expect to see him there or anything. SO COOL~~~ 

I'll post some pictures once I go through them. :)

In terms of challenge goals, I did ok, though I came in a little under my weekly target. It's to be expected on vacation though. I also did pretty well with food...or at least, I felt I did. I avoided the dreaded TRAVEL BELLY, which is usually a big problem on trips! I wasn't perfect, but I managed to eat veggies pretty regularly, I limited desserts to 1x/day at most (most of the time), and I paid attention to hunger signals much better than I usually do while still enjoying the majority of my meals! It got worse as the week went on, but it's the best I've done on a trip maybe ever, so I'm trying to pat myself on the back for it! 

...especially because the scale disagrees with how well I feel I did. I'm going to give it a few days to flush out the sodium, etc. before I worry too much about it.

Spoiler

Pre-trip:

• 1 Japanese session (+1)
  • Went to Crossfit 4 times! (+4)
  • Stretched 3 times
  • To-do list: Called a place about reservations, although it turned out they don't take them (+1)
  • To-do list: Went on a nice long walk outside on a trail I hadn't walked on yet this visit (+1)
  • Went on a long walk/hike (+3)

Trip:

• Walked twice and did a long walk once (+4)...there was a fair amount of walking in general, but those were the only really deliberate walks
  • To-do list: returned two items to the stores I ordered them from during Black Friday (+2)
  • T0-do list: got at least 1 workout in (+1)
  • Stretched probably 4 times? (+4)

Total: 44

To Dos for Week...4?

Spoiler

• Go to Crossfit 3x (Stretch goal: 4 times!)
  • Go on a hike...bonus point if it's in a new place
  • Go eat at the hippie sandwich place I've never been to
  • Study Japanese (1 point/session)
  • Edit to add: Ship Xmas gifts to friends
  • Edit to add: Figure out flight back to VA in January

I need another...26 points in one week?? Yikes! If I do ALL of my to-dos, including studying Japanese 3x, then I still need a full 17 points. If I stretch daily I get to 10, and if I get a yoga session in that gets me to 7 or 8 depending how long it is....if I do long walks on the non-crossfit days I get to 1 or 2, and then I can do either another yoga session or short walks on Crossfit days to finish it off. So it's possible...but it's a lot! 

Also, some of you might remember how I've talked about my parents' collapsing deck??

Spoiler

Quick recap: it has been starting to collapse and fall apart for several years now and my parents have no money to fix it, BUT a client of my dad's who owes him lots of $$ and said one year ago when I was here that he'd pay what was needed so they could at least fix their deck (it's a weird client relationship), so they had started to have architects, etc. look at it and it seemed like work was going to forward. SURPRISE - it didn't! (This is not a surprise). 

Well, fast forward to THIS year and the deck has gotten 200% worse. My mom was still sitting on the portion of the deck right by the door to smoke, and at that point it was already a scary thing to do and everyone thought she was living dangerously. By the time I'd been around for a month or so, even she wasn't sitting on it anymore. It was getting worse RAPIDLY. So my dad finally does whatever shenanigans he has to do with his client to get the work on the deck started again...like 2 weeks ago. After yelling at everyone for even mentioning the terrifying deck because any comment about it makes him feel like we're blaming him for not doing anything about it sooner. It was a PROCESS. 

An engineer comes and says he needs to put together a plan, but that they'll demolish the deck ASAP. PHEW, right??

Except naturally, guess what happened while I was on vacation??? IT COLLAPSED AT 4:30AM ONE MORNING! AHHHH

Honestly, I am just SO RELIEVED that I wasn't there when it happened. And that it didn't smash any windows or doors on the house (we have a lot of clear doors and windows along the house right below it), and that it didn't crash down or injure anyone (it's on the 2nd floor), and that nobody was on it when it collapsed. Our house is built into a hill, so the front door actually opens onto the top floor of the house, which has the kitchen, living room, etc. The bedrooms, including mine, are all downstairs with clear doors out onto a lower deck right below the collapsing one. AND NOW THE REMAINING DECK PARTS ARE MAKING NOISES AND I'M WORRIED THEY MIGHT STILL FALL AND SMASH THE WINDOWS AT ANY POINT. AHHHHH.

Pictures:

Spoiler

April:

NVTom4Ll.jpg

When I got here late Oct/early Nov:

YbqtnMnl.jpg

Before I left on the trip:

sorCwfEl.jpg

Now: CPrVQ1Tl.jpg 

• Like 2

Your trip sounds great!

Holy cow you're parents are the masters at delayed maintenance aren't they? I'm glad no one was on the deck when it went down. My mom's the same way about getting stuff fixed around her house, once she sells her current one and moves I'm going to make it a point to fix things at her new place as they come up instead of letting it get to the "everything-needs-work-and-I-don't-know-where-to-start" level that this one got to

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Oh that is so scary with the deck. We waited forever to fix ours because $$$. I thought it was ok, because we didn;'t go on it, I never thought of it just collapsing on its' own.

Your trip sounds amazing. I loved my trip to the Redwoods. They are so amazing

They are! The woods were so peaceful~

Also, I just realized you have a quote from Oathbringer in your signature!! I started reading The Way of Kings earlier this month, then got OBSESSED and haven't put the series down since. I'm about 80% through Oathbringer now! It's a fantastic series. 

20 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Your trip sounds great!

Holy cow you're parents are the masters at delayed maintenance aren't they? I'm glad no one was on the deck when it went down. My mom's the same way about getting stuff fixed around her house, once she sells her current one and moves I'm going to make it a point to fix things at her new place as they come up instead of letting it get to the "everything-needs-work-and-I-don't-know-where-to-start" level that this one got to

Yeahhh, they are. My dad in particular, since he's the sole income-earner and has to be the one to actually initiate a lot of this stuff. He has a history of not dealing with pesky things like taxes or FAFSA applications either. >.< 

So I just had a call with a woman about a potential job! It sounded really positive, and I'm going to make plans to visit their office in January when I'm back on the east coast. She said she'd want me to interview with two more people, but that's it. I originally thought the role was remote when I said I was interested last month, but it sounds like I'd have to pick one of their East Coast offices, which complicates things. It would be the perfect step up career-wise and salary-wise though, so I'm still considering it.

She also straight up asked for my desired salary range, which I wasn't expecting!! I'm normally good at fending off questions like that, but I sort of panicked. I knew the rough number they were aiming for already, so I just named that and she said they could work with it. I really should have either gone higher or given a larger range to give myself more wiggle room later though! I'm feeling pretty annoyed at myself for making such a rookie mistake!

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

Also, I just realized you have a quote from Oathbringer in your signature!! I started reading The Way of Kings earlier this month, then got OBSESSED and haven't put the series down since. I'm about 80% through Oathbringer now! It's a fantastic series. 

It is such a good series!

• Like 1

Merry Christmas Eve!! I hope you're all having a lovely holiday~~ 

Quick Challenge Wrap Up:

I wasn't sure I'd make it, but I ended the challenge with 72/70 points! That means I get to order a set of Le Pens as my reward. 

I don't have the full list in front of me right now, but it was a combination of a bit of everything. I got to Cfit 3x and TRIED to go for the 4th time, but I forgot they were having a holiday party offsite that night so I drove out for nothing. T_T If I had ended the challenge 1 point short, I'd have given myself the point for trying to do the workout in good faith. But I didn't need to! 

I went in this morning for a Christmas Eve WOD, which was a lot of fun! We did "the 12 days of Christmas" by going up then back through a list of 12 different exercises. We had a bunch of gear out to do everything, so it was super chaotic. Stuff everywhere! :D 

I think I may switch up the challenge format for next time. I definitely did walk and do yoga more than I would have without this challenge, but I also still feel like it was too easy to accumulate points other ways. 

• Like 3