• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nice challenge. No worries about not posting. Sounds like you had some great insights about what works for you this challenge. Yay for bonus money and enoying your workouts!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Looking back at this challenge I take it away as the biggest win. I am really looking forward to gym workouts now and am surprised at how much I enjoy them.

Yay!

It makes me wonder: I read about it being tricky to manage work - family - friends - health all equally and statements like that used to bug me. I was certain there must be a way to have a blast with it all, but looking back on my own last few years, I had times when work went really well but either family or health did really get neglected and other times when I was really there for my family and looked after my health but work slipped onto the backburner and friends, well... my friends are few and awesome, but the kind that won't be offended if I don't contact them for a while ;) so I guess, I really haven't found a way to make all four areas sparkle. Meh.

Yeah balancing everything is pretty much impossible on a daily basis, but maybe on a weekly or monthly basis could be more reasonable? Another way would be to "stack" all the obligations - like for example doing workouts with hubby. Is there perhaps something else that you could combine? But honestly I have no idea how you do it, I have practically zero obligations or family and it's still hard to keep my shit together and have a "balanced" life. :D 

Time to get back now fully, I am sooooo excited to be with you guys again and start a whole new year of awesome :cheerful:

Me too! :D 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Nice challenge. No worries about not posting. Sounds like you had some great insights about what works for you this challenge. Yay for bonus money and enoying your workouts!

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yay!

Yay indeed :D 

Yeah balancing everything is pretty much impossible on a daily basis, but maybe on a weekly or monthly basis could be more reasonable? Another way would be to "stack" all the obligations - like for example doing workouts with hubby. Is there perhaps something else that you could combine? But honestly I have no idea how you do it, I have practically zero obligations or family and it's still hard to keep my shit together and have a "balanced" life. :D 

Yes, but you have a full time job and a way more active social life than I do! And you balance pretty awesome in general ;) 

Stacking is a good idea and taking turns. Had thought about that too, maybe I schedule "workout times" for my work haha. It's just tricky because when I get really into it, I want to spend more time on it and neglect movement again. And the longer the time gap the bigger the resistance to getting back on it. That goes for anything in my life really. I forget how much I enjoy it when I am into it but rather think of the backlag and dread it. I should have learnt better by now, but well there it is.

My brain is smoking these days from trying to figure out a better approach for the next challenge :lol: 

Me too! :D 

let's blast it :) 

24 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Yes, but you have a full time job and a way more active social life than I do!

Yeah not the same, it might be a full time job but it's nowhere near as much stress or responsibility as having a family PLUS your own business! Not even close. And my social life is really rather tame haha. Don't sell yourself short!

14 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

My brain is smoking these days from trying to figure out a better approach for the next challenge :lol: 

I'm experimenting with tiny goals right now and one of them is to do my basic warm up every day. So far I think it works great, even if I do nothing else that day I'll have at least moved for a few minutes and my body feels so much better for it. @zenLara's doing something similar with one pull-up and one push-up every day. Could that be something to try? Even if you end up in a phase where fitness is neglected (because life happens, nothing wrong with that) you can at least have that as a fallback. It's of course not the same, but doing something is better than doing, and once you're ready and have more time the threshold to get back to movement won't be so high. At least that's my reasoning, it makes sense to me but it is completely untested. :lol:

• Like 1

Here's my headstand footage from dec 28th :)

I am sloooowly gaining control, but can spot the familiar old weakness again straight away - too little core control and I should probably pull my ribs in a bit (or try to). That should help keep the alignment better, right?

• Like 1

Looks pretty good to me! The only tip I have really is to try to keep the elbows in for the tripod headstands. It looks like they're flaring out to the sides a little which makes for a slightly less stable structure. But really, you're doing great. Just keep at it and all the little core control things and all that will come with in time, no need to worry about it. :) And feel free to experiment with alignment cues like ribs in and things like that to see how they change things, but in headstand it's not very crucial, you can have all sorts of shapes. The only important things are to push through your hands/shoulders and keep your neck safe.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yeah not the same, it might be a full time job but it's nowhere near as much stress or responsibility as having a family PLUS your own business! Not even close. And my social life is really rather tame haha. Don't sell yourself short!

Well my business isn't that huge haha, but yes, I won't sell myself short, thank you, let's say I rock, you rock - we are all amazing :)  How's that - and don't you dare sell yourself any more short now :P 

4 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm experimenting with tiny goals right now and one of them is to do my basic warm up every day. So far I think it works great, even if I do nothing else that day I'll have at least moved for a few minutes and my body feels so much better for it. @zenLara's doing something similar with one pull-up and one push-up every day. Could that be something to try? Even if you end up in a phase where fitness is neglected (because life happens, nothing wrong with that) you can at least have that as a fallback. It's of course not the same, but doing something is better than doing, and once you're ready and have more time the threshold to get back to movement won't be so high. At least that's my reasoning, it makes sense to me but it is completely untested. :lol:

oh yayyyyyyy @zenLara I had been looking for her a while back and couldn't find her. Will have to go check :)

yes, I was wondering along those lines as well... could also bring my daily 10 back. But I do like the long workouts at the gym so much, I really want to keep them for twice a week. Also they keep me sane ;) 

Same goes for meditation and I'd love to surrender a bit deeper into the parts where I feel I am stretching my inner limits, which too takes time. So I am pondering getting up real early again to do a full hour meditation for myself, before guiding the one for my webinar group at 6 am. It seems a bit insane :lol: but maybe if I fit a power nap into my day later?

It would get me a beautiful start into the day with self care first thing.

Another idea is to plan my day the evening before. Note down 1 priority for family and 1 priority for work and try to get those two done the next day. On days where a workout is scheduled, lots of household things needed it will only be family things - or if family doesn't need me only a work thing. Maybe by planning less, I get more done, if that makes any sense?

I just tend to plan too much and after initial boosting through it, steam runs out and I don't want to do anything at all anymore. Until I am recovered and jump up to do all the things again :D

Aaaah, to be able to be more consistent, sigh

54 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Looks pretty good to me! The only tip I have really is to try to keep the elbows in for the tripod headstands. It looks like they're flaring out to the sides a little which makes for a slightly less stable structure. 

oh I never looked at that! Thanks

54 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

But really, you're doing great. Just keep at it and all the little core control things and all that will come with in time, no need to worry about it. :) And feel free to experiment with alignment cues like ribs in and things like that to see how they change things, but in headstand it's not very crucial, you can have all sorts of shapes. The only important things are to push through your hands/shoulders and keep your neck safe.

ok cool, that is encouraging :) 

yes, neck feels fine and pole trained me to engage the shoulders nicely so that my head was off the floor usually. Here it's resting on my lower arms and I feel no pressure on it at all. In contrast to tripod, there I do feel some pressure on my head, but I take it that is normal, right?

It's one reason why I don't want to hold it for too long in tripod.

All good ideas!

3 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

I just tend to plan too much and after initial boosting through it, steam runs out and I don't want to do anything at all anymore. Until I am recovered and jump up to do all the things again :D

Definitely seems like it's worth experimenting with leaving a little more breathing space.

1 minute ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Here it's resting on my lower arms and I feel no pressure on it at all. In contrast to tripod, there I do feel some pressure on my head, but I take it that is normal, right?

It's one reason why I don't want to hold it for too long in tripod.

It's totally normal! Even if it can feel a bit uncomfortable it's not dangerous, it's just pressure. :) And the neck can take a lot of pressure with time, just think about circus folks doing actual headstands with no arm support.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

All good ideas!

Definitely seems like it's worth experimenting with leaving a little more breathing space.

Will try and see :) 

20 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

It's totally normal! Even if it can feel a bit uncomfortable it's not dangerous, it's just pressure. :) And the neck can take a lot of pressure with time, just think about circus folks doing actual headstands with no arm support.

True! I didn't think of those. They are amazing really

On 1/7/2019 at 3:13 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

ahhh that makes sense, thanks for the update :) 

I wanted to start up a challenge monday but then I forgot about it so im starting it up now

im done with my thesis now, going to a conference tomorrow and then have to defend it next Friday so wish me luck!,

Skærmbillede 2019-01-10 kl. 17.56.17.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Yayyy to having you back and Congrats and good luck emoji847.png

thanks a lot! always nice to be back when you get a nice welcome!

• Like 1