Lucky Fire Dragon keeps going

8 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Fung argues that is because the body is set on a certain insulin level that with time will be reestablished, especially if there is any form of insensitivity towards it already. The insensitivity develops when the insulin levels are high on a continuous basis and that seems the tricky part. With a good diet it is possible to not spike the levels so high anymore, but no food will actually lower the insulin levels. So the best diet can help decrease the ongoing unbalance, but not re-establish the healthy balance.

For doing that, he argues, we need enough time without any food - in other words fasting. The duration of the fast can and should be adjusted individually though as not everyone is coming from the same place and having the same goals. But he says we are built to feast and fast and that I found super interesting.

This is really interesting, and I really want to read it in more detail now!

• Like 1

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

Swings are a good core workout. The idea is to keep tucked in them , and then land softly. All of which requires control, which required abs, and shoulder. L-sits are good for both too. Start out with tuck holds first. Right now one of the movements I'm working on is the swing to tuck hold. Which is a swing, and then hold in a tuck position for a couple of seconds. 

That Obesity Code sounds interesting. I've said before, that I was like you , super skinny as a kid and teen and couldn't put on weight at all. Thinking about it, I don't think I ate much after dinner either. I usually ate breakfast though. Now I try and not eat after dinner, and wait an hour after I wake up to have breakfast, so that is usually 12- 13 hours. I can't do fasted workouts though. It's not that I feel hungry, I just lose focus, and thus am more apt to get hurt. 

• Like 2

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 12/9/2018 at 4:34 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

Oh those swings do look like fun!! Do you think they train arms mostly or a big portion of core as well?

Am asking because so far I kept the circuit training as it's currently signed out in the gym as suggested plan and switched the core exercises from the ab roller to other things and now I thought I'd replace the bosu ball balance with some parallettes fun.

But maybe I should replace something else rather, because by that time my arms are a bit fried already and I guess I need them for the parallettes :D

I'd say core, although you will feel it a bit in your arms too :P Straddle hold are also cool on parallettes, more accessible than floor straddle holds (more space for legs hanging low). You can do then with legs outside your arms (standard way), or around one arm (1 leg out, 1 leg in the middle). With bent legs or not as you wish, it's pretty versatile.

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

All caught up! First of all you seem a lot more like your own calm and kind self about the whole body image/diet thing, which is awesome. :) 

On 12/9/2018 at 9:55 AM, lucky fire dragon said:

Maybe @Mad Hatter is right and it's not the water that takes away hunger. Maybe it's the fasting. Because now that I am looking into it, many people say how surprised they were of hunger decreasing after they started intermittend fasting and how after eating, they are hungrier sooner than on days with some fasting. I find the same for me and it's really surprising. You'd think it would be the other way round.

What I meant really is that if you're experiencing real hunger then water wouldn't help. :) But if you're mixing up the signals between thirst and hunger then it definitely makes sense. On days when I accidentally do IF I find the same with hunger levels. But while I don't get hungry as such my body still needs food so I'm trying to not do that. Hunger is partly a scheduling thing though, so as long as you keep to a consistent schedule your body will adapt to it and send out hunger signals as appropriate.

On 12/9/2018 at 9:55 AM, lucky fire dragon said:

On Friday I had a bit of a crisis, feeling nothing is changing, nothing is working, but I also had general blahs that morning. Yesterday I realized I do definitely feel different and also that my food breaks weren't that long yet. I'm more on what would be the maintenance setting and not yet the weight loss rhythm. But I want to build up easy enough to keep it going for a longer time and not just aim for the sky and drop it altogether when I can't keep that up. Am very tempted to try out a full 24 hour fast now, but at the same time I worry that my brain will turn it into this huge thing and make it difficult

It can be fun to experiment but what do you actually want out of a 24 hour fast? If it's just impatience for weight loss that's not a good reason. Keep in mind that fasting including IF for women might upset hormonal levels so while there *might* be some benefits it might not be applicable to women. You'll just have to test and see if it works for you or not. I'm also not sure that fasting in general is really applicable in our current cultural context. Fasting in the short run might lower the hunger signals as a means to cope, but eventually if you don't eat enough your body will force you to hunt for food by making you obsessing about it. Good thing if you live in a tribal culture with variable food supplies, not so great in our modern culture with an abundance of food. Another thing to remember is that fasting is not a magic pill for neither health nor weight loss... 

On a different note wheeee parallettes have fun! :D 

• Like 3
On 12/9/2018 at 4:05 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Late to the party here, but I loved this part:

I used to be this way, but have been kind of forced to deal with it.  Our friend has a farm and he sometimes brings over stuff for us and a couple of times it has been chickens or ducks that he has just slaughtered.  He cleans and plucks them before bringing them over, but I still have to clean out a bunch of organs and then divide it up for cooking.  Luckily Youtube has tutorials for EVERYTHING!

That's true! YouTube ftw :) 

Thanks for this, it put things into perspective as I didn't have to clean out any organs at all. The hunter had done it for me. Hubby is good friends with them and I think we are lucky to get a special treatment there. Also they might feed the organs on to someone or other ;) I asked what they do with the leftover bones and they said they crush some for bone broth and the rest goes back to the woods for the animals there to feed on, like foxes for instance. I thought that's pretty cool.

On 12/9/2018 at 4:05 PM, WhiteGhost said:

If you get another one next year I'm confident you will be able to get everything prepared like a boss :) 

:lol: thanks for your confidence. I'll do my best for sure.

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

On 12/9/2018 at 5:31 PM, Infinity.Creates said:

This is really interesting, and I really want to read it in more detail now!

It's a fascinating topic for sure! In one video of his colleague they hinted at writing on a new book based on the experience of treating roughly 5000 people with different fasting versions at their clinic and the results from those. I am looking forward to that, as they say there is not much data on this field yet out there.

What is also really cool to me is how encouraging they go about it. To me fasting seemed like a really good idea many times before. It's often praised in yoga books and the like as well and I sooooo wanted to part of the tough tribe who does stuff like that :P but it seemed intimidating at the same time and so many rules to consider in order not to mess it up and the shortest version recommend being 3 full days and all... I never even seriously tried.

Now I wonder, what would happen if I explore it with more curiosity and less anxious caution.

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

All caught up! First of all you seem a lot more like your own calm and kind self about the whole body image/diet thing, which is awesome. :) 

It is :) Thanks for the ruffle though 

tenor.gif

What I meant really is that if you're experiencing real hunger then water wouldn't help. :) But if you're mixing up the signals between thirst and hunger then it definitely makes sense.

That's true. Sometimes it's hard to tell the signals apart, it quite astounds me. On sensible days I try the water first. On the less sensible I go for wine and food asap :P 

On days when I accidentally do IF I find the same with hunger levels. But while I don't get hungry as such my body still needs food so I'm trying to not do that. Hunger is partly a scheduling thing though, so as long as you keep to a consistent schedule your body will adapt to it and send out hunger signals as appropriate.

It can be fun to experiment but what do you actually want out of a 24 hour fast? If it's just impatience for weight loss that's not a good reason.

Yeah, I realized exactly that this morning. I was starting to obsess about it too much and something shook me awake, so that I asked myself: "Why am I doing this? And do I want to rough it through as a quick fix now or do I want to do a longer term experiment here? Is this something I can and even want to keep up for longer?"

The quick fix won't work, that I am pretty sure of. A chronic state or development doesn't change without a chronic change in lifestyle. I'd just go back to previous habits straight after and have nothing gained only one more thing that "didn't work". 

No, I'll have to make it a bit of a longer term experiment if I want to really see what it's doing for me. And for figuring out what I can live with fine. 

Our brains are so funny hey?! The 14 hour fast worked so well so far and I often had longer breaks spontaneously, completely fine. A few days ago I decided to up it to the 16/8 pattern and even got an app on my phone for it (not sure why, because the app is pretty useless, it just sends reminders about the time frame, but I can count from 8pm to noon thank you very much) and suddenly I find myself looking at the clock wondering how long I need to last still. What's with that?!

This morning I was quite hungry after the 14 hour mark and decided stuff this, my challenge goal is only 14 hours anyway, let's keep this light enough to be enjoyable. What happens? I don't feel THAT hungry after all and do other things first instead :lol: Had a nice bone broth with egg ready for noon though and fresh bread from the bakery to go with it and ate to full content ^_^

Keep in mind that fasting including IF for women might upset hormonal levels so while there *might* be some benefits it might not be applicable to women. You'll just have to test and see if it works for you or not.

Apparently that's made out to be a bigger problem than it is. Fung says that the women treated in their clinic had no problems whatsoever so far and he doesn't see reason for that argument from his experience.

I'm also not sure that fasting in general is really applicable in our current cultural context. Fasting in the short run might lower the hunger signals as a means to cope, but eventually if you don't eat enough your body will force you to hunt for food by making you obsessing about it. Good thing if you live in a tribal culture with variable food supplies, not so great in our modern culture with an abundance of food. Another thing to remember is that fasting is not a magic pill for neither health nor weight loss... 

Yes, I know, no magic pill and in any case not as easy as a pill either. But it does seem to have some serious health benefits and I am sure there are reasons why the ancient teachings like major religions and yogic traditions and the like all have it as an integral part.

Like I wrote in reply to Infinity, I had been keen to try it before, but it always seemed something that needed to be approached with a lot of knowledge and caution plus immense discipline, so I never did.

To play around in such small ways is really fascinating me right now.

The cultural context is not a problem for me. Kids leave for school early and don't even notice if I have breakfast or not, hubby is off to work as well. By the time the kids come home for lunch, the 16 hours are over anyway and I can choose to eat with them as usual no problems. More and more days now they have afternoon school though, coming home at different hours, so there are few "family meals" left anyway. I find cooking for one of them while fasting myself is actually no problem. Probably because I am approaching it with enough voluntary choice to not desperately long for food at the time.

On a different note wheeee parallettes have fun! :D 

Whheeeeeeeeeeee I will :D 

On 12/9/2018 at 9:54 PM, Elastigirl said:

Swings are a good core workout. The idea is to keep tucked in them , and then land softly. All of which requires control, which required abs, and shoulder. L-sits are good for both too. Start out with tuck holds first. Right now one of the movements I'm working on is the swing to tuck hold. Which is a swing, and then hold in a tuck position for a couple of seconds. 

That sounds perfect. On the rings I had also tried with straightening one leg for a few seconds with the other one tucked, but I think the tucked hold will be plenty to work on for starters. And the transfer from swing to static hold would use a lot of muscle for the control! Go you!

On 12/9/2018 at 9:54 PM, Elastigirl said:

That Obesity Code sounds interesting. I've said before, that I was like you , super skinny as a kid and teen and couldn't put on weight at all. Thinking about it, I don't think I ate much after dinner either. I usually ate breakfast though. Now I try and not eat after dinner, and wait an hour after I wake up to have breakfast, so that is usually 12- 13 hours. I can't do fasted workouts though. It's not that I feel hungry, I just lose focus, and thus am more apt to get hurt. 

That's so good you noticed and take that into consideration!! Safety always comes first!

I never trained on the pole on too empty a stomach either as I wasn't keen on dropping from upside down or anything silly like that. Am surprise how well the workouts at the gym go without breakfast. But I do think, everyone is built different and for some people breakfast could be really important and for others not. Seeing how stable your weight is and how very healthy I also don't see the need for you to do much about it anyway. 12  -13 hours is more than most people nowadays I think, because late night snacks can be tempting and if one is a breakfast person that overnight gap could get pretty short. You might have done it right all along now as is :) 

On 12/10/2018 at 7:26 PM, @mu said:

I'd say core, although you will feel it a bit in your arms too :P Straddle hold are also cool on parallettes, more accessible than floor straddle holds (more space for legs hanging low). You can do then with legs outside your arms (standard way), or around one arm (1 leg out, 1 leg in the middle). With bent legs or not as you wish, it's pretty versatile.

Another excellent point, thanks. It'll be interesting to see whichever version I manage :D

• Like 1

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

No training in yet for this week. Took my dad for his second eye op yesterday and check up today. Took my boy to the orthodontist a little later yesterday and my girl to the clinic for the check up on her arm today at noon.... all the medical taxi driving again :P 

Yesterday was a good morning with and for my parents though. My mom came along and while my dad got operated on, I took her shopping for groceries at our local organic shop and she LOVED it. People there are very friendly and they had all the fresh produce in for the week already and she appreciated all of it so much. Sweetened the whole time consumption for me very much :) My dad did well on his op and the first check up showed great results as well. Friday is the second check up and the third only next week.

As my gym membership is for mornings only I didn't fit any training in between those appointments though. I could have maybe today a short one, but went for catching up household things rather and delicious hot bath, just for myself ^_^

Got the work necessities in, no editing just yet though.

And good fasting hours :) Today I was quite hungry, so I made sure to fit three meals within the 8 hours of eating window again, not just two as I can't eat too much at a time, especially after the long food breaks. It's funny I feel like I could eat this huge meal and then after one regular or maybe even small portion I feel suddenly full :blink:

Emotionally and mentally I had some hectic days because there is a lot going on in my family at the moment, where I feel for my siblings, parents and nephews a lot. Some of it I can't do anything about, some of it I don't know if I can (my mom is on the verge of dropping her anti-epileptic medication again, I can see it coming and I don't like it at all) - all in all I must ensure enough stability for myself. 

Youngest friend is dropping out of choir and now my girl wants to drop out as well, which saddens me because I can see the fun she had so far. We might be able to turn that still, she is not as decided as she insisted on this afternoon. But I am not entirely sure how to approach it best, because I don't want to push her where she really doesn't want to go, yet do want to encourage her over initial hesitations that might ease up perfectly with time. Her main reason is not knowing anyone there yet and that surely would change with time.

I did my best to reign myself in this afternoon and not push. Especially as the doctor in charge today wasn't as sensitive while treating her elbow as the previous one. She had fallen over a chair at school, bruising the injured arm afresh and was tired, shaky and extra sensitive already. You'd think motherly instinct would have be be gentle with her naturally as a response, but instead I sometimes get cross when she talks herself ever deeper into all her stress and pain, like she did in the car on the way home. I managed to breathe through though and just say less until I was calm enough to be helpful again. Growing up never ends, does it?

Feel like I am growing up quite a bit between the patience for my parents and my kids. Also it's tricky to see where I am doing someone a favor or maybe even not in taking too much care of them. My dad is now so relying on me with any doctor's visit to be present and attentive, he doesn't even try to remember what needed to be handled.

Oh well, have to look at the good points and there were many the last two days.

Hope you all doing well and rocking your awesome :cheerful: Will catch up again over the next few days

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Yes, I know, no magic pill and in any case not as easy as a pill either. But it does seem to have some serious health benefits and I am sure there are reasons why the ancient teachings like major religions and yogic traditions and the like all have it as an integral part.

There are no rights and wrongs when it comes to this. But I would be suuuper cautious about what one dude says. Or what experiments on rats have said. Also you say he's treating people with it, but if you're already healthy you don't need treatment. All I'm saying is don't drink the cool aid. ;) If you feel good doing it then go for it, but make sure to eat enough. Also when it comes to yoga and religion it's NEVER been about health, rather the opposite, to "cleanse" (biggest BS ever) and to suffer for no good reason.

13 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

I never trained on the pole on too empty a stomach either as I wasn't keen on dropping from upside down or anything silly like that. Am surprise how well the workouts at the gym go without breakfast. But I do think, everyone is built different and for some people breakfast could be really important and for others not

Yeah I think it depends on what you do as well. Some activities are fine to do on an empty stomach, other's not so much plus it also depends on length and intensity of the workouts. :) 

14 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

The cultural context is not a problem for me.

I meant more on a larger scale. :) Paleo and IF might be great in theory, but humans didn't start to really thrive until we settled down into a more agricultural society. It's only extremely recently that obesity and EDs have even become a thing and I'm not sure our culture surrounding body image and diet play nicely with IF. On a grand scheme of things, the individual variation is of course huge.

20 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

To play around in such small ways is really fascinating me right now.

Playing is a good approach. :)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

There are no rights and wrongs when it comes to this. But I would be suuuper cautious about what one dude says. Or what experiments on rats have said. Also you say he's treating people with it, but if you're already healthy you don't need treatment. All I'm saying is don't drink the cool aid. ;) 

I hear you :lol: He's been treating people, not rats yes, roughly 5000 patients over the past 5 years and the very first one is his colleague now and seems quite healthy where she's at. Yes, I am not what would be their main clientele, but I had a therapist diagnose me with some insensitivity towards insulin a few years ago and didn't want to hear it, but of course it made me wonder. I think it's worth a shot. I'm not going as intense as they go with really obese patients anyway. Especially as I am not keen on going to check ups all the time. If I don't feel good about it anymore, I'll stop, I promise!

If you feel good doing it then go for it, but make sure to eat enough. 

Yes mom :love_heart:

Also when it comes to yoga and religion it's NEVER been about health, rather the opposite, to "cleanse" (biggest BS ever) and to suffer for no good reason.

Oh I don't buy into the suffering part either, but am beginning to see the benefit of cleansing for sure. It's like fresh water in the face feels often really good as well. I've learned to love the silence which is a cleanse in it's own way... sometimes less is really good

Yeah I think it depends on what you do as well. Some activities are fine to do on an empty stomach, other's not so much plus it also depends on length and intensity of the workouts. :) 

That's it. Nothing risky at the gym training so that  is easy to try out. 

I meant more on a larger scale. :) Paleo and IF might be great in theory, but humans didn't start to really thrive until we settled down into a more agricultural society. It's only extremely recently that obesity and EDs have even become a thing and I'm not sure our culture surrounding body image and diet play nicely with IF. On a grand scheme of things, the individual variation is of course huge.

Playing is a good approach. :)

Playing ALWAYS is a good approach :) 

9 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh man that's a lot of family stuff to deal with! You're doing awesome though. :) 

Thanks!! My sister is carrying the most, she's living in the same house as my parents and my sister in law (brothers ex wife) and my nephews from that side. My sister in law is going through a rough patch and my sister is obviously still helping as much as she can, but fortunately the family of my sister in law is wonderful and helping her a lot as well. My brother deals with things sometimes very different to how my sister and me are doing it, but I think we are on a good track in pulling together for my parents. That is a part that makes me very happy!  He has his own challenges within his family though and now will have to see how to help his ex wife by taking the kids on a bit more often... Just seems a challenging time all around right now. Which is why it is important for me to not forget all the happy beautiful things :) They are just as true

Hubby's family is doing really well, so there is that :D 

• Like 2

oh and @Mad Hatter thanks so much for being a wonderful voice of reason, making sure I take good care of myself!

giphy.gif

17 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Haha glad you're taking it the right way! :lol:

For some reason I'm getting easily triggered lately, maybe because my brain is going into overdrive now when I'm moving a lot less than usual. :P 

Might be other reasons too like seasons etc but It sucks when you can't move like you'd like to :( Isn't there any way you can have some movement fun without straining your elbow? With the plague slowly packing it in, maybe you can find some way of playing a bitty?? 

3f30815b7fef4eeabdb7f6cac56b2fae.gif

Happy dance for another workout in - BHAM :triumphant:

10min 15 sec rowing for 2km

circuit training:

- 18lbs kettlebell alternating one handed swing 40 sec for 2 rounds, 12 kg kettlebell twohanded 40 sec for third round

- hop up on tire for first round, step up with 5kg dumbbells in each hand for the other two rounds (didn't feel like hopping today)

- 3 x 12 bodyweight rows on slingtrainer, feet right in the middle over the same line as last time

- T-bar training with 7.5 kg loaded (press overhead in center, lower to each side as far as arms reach without tilting pelvis, back up and so on)

- pushing the powersledge from lower handle today, feels harder on the legs somehow

- 3x 40 sec lunges with Bulgarian Bag (10kg)

- 3x 12 pushups on gravity trainier

- 3x 40 sec rope swings 

During the first round I played with some tuck holds and swing on the parallettes for the abs part, second round I tried to time it to 10 sec swing, 10 sec hold and so on, but only managed each twice before my arms and core gave in. 

Straddle holds were worth a shot :lol: looooooong way to go for those. I simply can't lift and hold my legs high enough for them not to end up resting on the parallettes and then they weren't as stable as I thought they'd be.

Tuck hold was challenging enough and the swings were fun

During the third round I went back to tucking and straightening legs while sitting on bosu ball. It's slowly getting better with my balance, yay.

During the first round I also tried this thing where you tuck your feet between two rolls for stability and lean over a padded part facing forward to then lift the back up and down... does that description make any sense? Well, it did work my lower back quite a lot :D 

Headstand afterwards worked so well!!! 

I should have recorded it to see what I did right ^_^ but I had left my phone in the changing rooms, not thinking of it and didn't feel like fetching it just for that. Also I wasn't sure if I'd be able to repeat it. Of course I only remembered the video plan while I was in headstand :P 

Nice stretching to round it all of and voilá that was it

----

Oh and I am well into my 19th hour of fasting and not feeling hungry :blink: how weird is that?

Won't stay this way for sure, because I am about to cook lunch for the kids and once I start smelling that, hunger will be there and yes, I will definitely have a big portion of yummies for myself as well ^_^

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Might be other reasons too like seasons etc but It sucks when you can't move like you'd like to :( Isn't there any way you can have some movement fun without straining your elbow? With the plague slowly packing it in, maybe you can find some way of playing a bitty?? 

I will. :) I've been doing some movement, but it's a huge difference from climbing pretty hard 3-4x plus walking a lot to just flopping about on the floor for a bit. :P But there are plenty of options, I've just been lazy.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I will. :) I've been doing some movement, but it's a huge difference from climbing pretty hard 3-4x plus walking a lot to just flopping about on the floor for a bit. :P But there are plenty of options, I've just been lazy.

... and miserable? Which leads to a kind of viscous circle doesn't it, if it stops you from moving.

I'd say let's start by celebrating any bit of movement like mad just because :) 

2 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

During the first round I played with some tuck holds and swing on the parallettes for the abs part, second round I tried to time it to 10 sec swing, 10 sec hold and so on, but only managed each twice before my arms and core gave in.

I struggle with these too.  They look really easy but it only takes a few seconds before my body starts noping out :) 

Also, Handstands! :) 

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26Nerevarine [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

53 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

... and miserable? Which leads to a kind of viscous circle doesn't it, if it stops you from moving.

I'd say let's start by celebrating any bit of movement like mad just because :) 

That too. :P 

That's the plan - and to go slow!

Oh and nice parallettes workout! :D 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

I struggle with these too.  They look really easy but it only takes a few seconds before my body starts noping out :) 

Thank you! So good to hear :) 

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Also, Handstands! :) 

Aaaah I'm not there yet. One day...

4052e71bafdb1c8a3210a0338a3d4094.png

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

That too. :P 

That's the plan - and to go slow!

Good plan :) 

52 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh and nice parallettes workout! :D 

Thanks ^_^

On 12/13/2018 at 3:12 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

Straddle holds were worth a shot :lol: looooooong way to go for those. I simply can't lift and hold my legs high enough for them not to end up resting on the parallettes and then they weren't as stable as I thought they'd be.

Ha ha yes, lifting the butt AND the legs is hard.

What a workout!

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

On 12/14/2018 at 3:39 PM, @mu said:

Ha ha yes, lifting the butt AND the legs is hard.

What a workout!

Thanks, it's always comforting to hear things like that :cheerful: especially from people like you who make it look so easy :) 

• Like 1

Another Workout in, yessssssss

1117dce241916793374fa691cc66071b.jpg

It's beginning to feel like this :)

I am really enjoying the workouts now... or well most parts of it :P 

Managed to talk hubby into joining me yesterday by whining long enough about having to go alone and no one I know there and blahblahblah, until he really changed his plans and came along. That was super nice! I was actually just teasing him and I think he knew, but I coaxed how much nicer it will be to do sitting down stuff and lazy weekend things after having sweated a bit and how we can go for a nice cup of coffee in the cafe after and  - well it worked :triumphant:

Workout consisted of:

9 min 52 sec for rowing the 2 km, woot woot - this is the first time I managed in under 10 min! AND I had set the difficulty to 7/10 instead of the previous 6/10. The difficulty doesn't increase the speed, but just makes the pulling part heavier on the arms, so it's actually a double win

Circuit training:

- 40 sec single handed swings (alternating hands) with 18 lbs kettlebell for 2 rounds, third round both handed with 12 kg again

- hopped the tire for 2 rounds and stepped with 5kg dumbbells in each hand for the third round (40 sec / round)

- 3 x 12 bodyweight rows on the sling trainer, same angle as last time, getting sliiiiiiiiightly easier, I think

- 3 x 40 sec lunges with Bulgarian Bag (10 kg)

- 3 x 40 sec T-Bar training with 7.5 kg (same as last time)

- 3 x 40 sec pushing the power sledge, took the pace a littler slower but still faster than walking and added 10 kg onto it, does make a difference :D  

- 3 x 40 sec rope swings

- 3 x 12 push ups on the gravity trainer (those are still hard, the first 8 go easy, but the last two oooof) 

- 3 x 40 sec on bosu ball tucking legs in and straightening; this time I managed to keep my balance while lifting the arms up as I straighten the legs, small wins feel good as well :) 

In the first round I added the back trainer again for 12 reps, which for some reason I felt in my butt (?),
in the second round I swung the Bulgarian Bag around twice each way,
third round I was flattened :P 

Did add the headstand and actually asked the trainer at the counter to record it for me (she is super nice) but it didn't record the first attempt and the ones after didn't go that well, so I have less than 10 sec hold to look at. Oh well, next time maybe.

@Mad Hatter I can tell you now that (as you suspected) function does inspire me more than form! I keep losing my balance during lunges or on the bosu ball, because they show people doing interesting things in the video clips projected on the wall and curiosity has me looking instead of focusing on my own moves :lol: I can't even remember what kind of moves were shown, but it's been happening frequently and I did not look at the shape of the person so much as at what they were doing and thinking this looks like a good exercise to do... I guess that answers that ^_^

Also fun fact: when I feel my abs from a workout my tummy feels less squishy already and I care less about what it looks like, even if it looks the same of course, because those changes don't happen that quickly.

Things to focus on :) 

• Like 2

I'm glad you enjoyed the paralettes. Woohoo for workout consistency and enjoying the workouts!

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 12/17/2018 at 11:29 PM, Elastigirl said:

I'm glad you enjoyed the paralettes. Woohoo for workout consistency and enjoying the workouts!

Looking back at this challenge I take it away as the biggest win. I am really looking forward to gym workouts now and am surprised at how much I enjoy them.

The second big win is the fasting thing. I am easing into it quite well, continuing with ease after the challenge even, with only a few days off for holiday feasting ;)

Now I have the problem of not planning too much into my workouts and neglecting other areas of my life in exchange :P 

Work can't count for a win at all, I'm afraid. I kept up with the at the time things but am still way behind on the promised recordings I want to provide for my meditation students, because I did not take the time to edit the audios. Probably could have managed a lot more than what I did, but frankly I did not feel like it at all at the times when I could have.

It makes me wonder: I read about it being tricky to manage work - family - friends - health all equally and statements like that used to bug me. I was certain there must be a way to have a blast with it all, but looking back on my own last few years, I had times when work went really well but either family or health did really get neglected and other times when I was really there for my family and looked after my health but work slipped onto the backburner and friends, well... my friends are few and awesome, but the kind that won't be offended if I don't contact them for a while ;) so I guess, I really haven't found a way to make all four areas sparkle. Meh.

On the other hand the fact that others observe this as challenging if not impossible is now rather comforting me, because it might mean, I am not as much a failure as I thought myself to be :P 

If I make peace with the fact, then I could simply focus on family and health for now, which is where I feel needed and what calls me the most and consider any work a bonus. That way, I won't beat myself up for little work getting done and hopefully enjoy the work I do get in more again, because I actually love my work and it's a pity to taint it with guilt and extra pressure. Part of the pressure was finances, because during the times when work went well, it helped our budget a lot whereas now all that pressure is mostly on hubby. On the other hand, he is doing awesome in that department and we are getting by surprisingly well. What helped was an unexpected gift just before Christmas when we won some money on a lottery ticket that I have had for 20 odd years, that pulls off monthly and supports organisations that help disabled people. That was such a joy :) it took all that pressure off briefly and made me wonder, what if my income weren't so needed? It wasn't enough to ensure that, but enough to help over the tight end of year budget, have a lovely Christmas shopping with the kids and for me to go to a one week meditation retreat in March that I am beyond excited about, squeeeeeeee

Funny thing is, since I tapped into the possibility of easing the expectation on work more people are calling me up again and sign up for sessions and courses with me ^_^ It's not the first time this happens. The challenge will be to try and KEEP the pressure off as time goes on. It's ironic, that really ups my income the less I stress about it :topsy_turvy:

So those are my reflections for now and here is the summary in numbers:

CHALLENGE SUMMARY

GOAL 1: workout 2x / week

Week 1: 2/2

Week 2: 3/2

Week 3: 2/2

Week 4: 2/2

GOAL 2: no food for min of 14h over night, few carbs, 2 Liters of water per day

Week 1: not tracked / not tracked / not tracked / not tracked / 14 h and 2.5 liters / 16 h and 3 l / 14 h and 2 liters

Week 2: 17.5 h and 2 liters / 15 h and 2 liters / 15.5 h and 2.5 liters / 17 h and 3 liters / 15 h and 2 liters / 16 h and 3.5 liters / 17 h and 2 liters

Week 3: 17 h - 2.5 liters / 16 h - 2,5 liters / 16 h - 2.5 liters / 20 h - 2.5 liters / 15.5 h - 2 liters / 17 h - 3 liters / 17 h - 2.5 liters

Week 4: 16 h - 2.5 liters / 15 h - 2 liters / 20h - 2.5 liters / 14h - 2 liters / 16h - 2 liters / 19.5h - 2.5 liters / 16h - 2 liters

GOAL 3: edit and upload all meditation recordings (morning meditations and retreat meditations)

Morning meditations: 3/28 plus 0/28

Retreat recordings: 5/8

GOAL 4: finish reading "Atomic Habits" and reflect with a little journaling on it daily (4TW streak)

Book progress: 34%

Journaling streak: 0 - journaled on 13 days out of the 28, but unfrequently

The reading looks like a fail but wasn't completely, because I finished the Obesity Code instead which had been the other started book on my kindle and was well worth the read. Not sure if I will tackle the reading further right now, it didn't capture me as much as I thought it would, might let it sit until it does.

Journaling is usually helpful for me, but here too I am not sure how important it is right now. Meditation time is really important to me, too and if I had to choose between the two I'd take meditation any day. With the holidays coming to an end now and lots of appointments in for the coming weeks, I'll drop this goal for now as well and focus on meditation more. I'd like to expand them some more again.

All in all not a bad challenge me feels ^_^

Sorry I dropped off the NF planet so suddenly at the end, there was a lot going on with Christmas shopping (with the nice extra budget, woot woot), choir concerts, last doctor check ups, exam preps etc. Then the holidays with all the visits and then I needed some introverted family time and quiet. I did keep my workouts up though and even the intermittend fasting, with some exceptions for the holidays and I think I even got hubby keener on going to the gym again, another woot woot for that.

Time to get back now fully, I am sooooo excited to be with you guys again and start a whole new year of awesome :cheerful:

• Like 1