Lifting Newbie Levels Up

I'm a newcomer to the world of weights, and have recently started consulting with a personal trainer for set routines. Here's my intro.

A little background on me: I've been running for almost 5 years, started doing Synergy (HIIT) and Body Pump (weightlifting meets aerobics) around a year ago, and decided I wanted to do something a little more tailored. So I got my routine laid out for my weights days - started on the machines, and then this week, for the first time, I was unleashed into the downstairs gym in order to humiliate improve myself on the free weights.

It was a big day!

So my old routine, for six weeks was this:

3 sets of 25 reps on all -

Leg press (horizontal): Started at 35kg/77lb -- rose to 45kg/99lb

Chest press (seated): Started at 5kg/11lb -- rose to 10kg/22lb

Seated row: Started at 10kg/22lb -- rose to 15kg/33lb

Shoulder press: 1.25kg/3lb -- 2.5kg/3lb

Tricep pulldown: 8.75kg/19lb -- 11.25kg/25lb

Bicep curl: 6.25kg/14lbs

I did this twice a week, with a 4km warmup run (usually around 25 minutes). Once a week I would also do a HIIT class, and sometimes take a longer, 45 minute run, depending on schedule and weather. Never did manage to go heavier on the biceps as I would get back pain using the cable machine. Shoulder press was always a tricky one for me, and I could tell I was occasionally lopsided with the machine.

Over those 6 weeks, I've lost 1kg of fat and gained 1kg of muscle. Body fat is down by a little under 1% to 25.7%. I'm also eating high protein/low carb, although this is hard as it's almost Christmas and my dad is filling our house with pies! 

So, six weeks in, my new routine and starting weights are:

3 x 15 on all -

Leg press (inclined): 50kg/110lb

Smith machine: 10kg/22lb

Lat pulldown: 24kg/53lb

Shoulder press, dumbells: 4kg/9lb each (this was a struggle, might reduce to 3kg?)

Biceps, db: 5kg/11lb

Triceps, db, "nosebreaker": 3kg/7lb

Now I've done one workout, I'm really kind of surprised by how some of these have gone! 10kg on the Smith feels harder than 10kg on the horizontal CP. How I've suddenly been able to jump up to 4kg each on the shoulder press (with difficulty), I don't know! I guess the lower reps make a big difference. But my tricep weights have nearly halved from the machine workout! My PT says this is because I'm working other muscles more, so am more tired by the time I get to this stage. Has anyone else had this experience? It's a little disheartening, but it's reassuring that there's a good explanation.

But it was a fun day. The Smith machine looks scary as hell at first sight, and I had a workout just loading the 25kg plates on and off the leg press! Looking forward to levelling up, and kinda thrilled that I am now allowed out to play with the big boys and girls!

• Like 3