• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jett

Jett takes new steps

I'm late to the party, because I've had A Lot going on lately. But I do want to do at least a short, chill sort of challenge.

I'm only getting these details up on the 5th, and there's some upcoming interruptions to my life (my wife is having surgery on the 10th, and the holidays will surely cause more interruptions at the end of the challenge...) so this challenge is going to be extremely minimal.

Part 1: Movement. Walk every day, even if it's just a very quick lap around the block/office building.

Part 2: Tracking. I need to track my water intake (I've been way too dehydrated lately) and I would like to "casually" track my calories so I can kind of get an idea of what's going on with my body. I seem to be gaining weight back, and it's discouraging.

Part 3: Sleep. I started a new job on the 3rd, and trying to adjust my sleep schedule has been difficult. Right now I'm extremely sleep deprived, and I'll probably start correcting that over the weekend, but I need to work hard to maintain a good sleep schedule that works with my current work schedule.

My continuing "cook one meal per week" challenge should take care of itself, since I'll be the primary cook while my wife is recovering. Our monthly "outdoor adventure" may need to be put on hold for this month, with everything else going on. (Plus it's raining in So Cal?!?!? What is this wet stuff coming from the sky...?)

• Like 4

Finally updated my first post. This month (or more like, 2 weeks) challenge is very bare-bones thanks to all the non-fitness things that are happening this month.

• Like 1

Oh, maybe I should mention that the "new steps" in the title are in reference to starting a new job assignment that I hope will become a permanent position (I'm a consultant, but I've been looking for the right "home" for my career for a while now). This company is an international shipping company that is used to spreading it's operations across the globe, and it has offices in Norway and Sweden. Soo... I'm hoping maybe they'll be open to letting me move countries and keep my job, in a few years. ;)

Also, there's a personal milestone regarding my transition that I need to take the first steps towards this month. (I need to call the endocrinologist to get started on proper Testosterone therapy.) That's kind of terrifying, but exciting, and I've been putting off doing it, but I need to take that step!

• Like 3

On 12/1/2018 at 8:03 AM, Jett said:

I started a new job on the 3rd

Wow! Congratulations!

On 12/1/2018 at 8:03 AM, Jett said:

Part 3: Sleep. [...]  Right now I'm extremely sleep deprived, and I'll probably start correcting that over the weekend, but I need to work hard to maintain a good sleep schedule that works with my current work schedule.

Yes! Sleep is super important to be able to perform, and you want to perform with your new position! So, good choice making this a priority Thumbs Up

14 hours ago, Jett said:

Also, there's a personal milestone regarding my transition that I need to take the first steps towards this month. (I need to call the endocrinologist to get started on proper Testosterone therapy.) That's kind of terrifying, but exciting, and I've been putting off doing it, but I need to take that step!

I have no idea how this stuff works, but from a purely nerdy/fact/knowledge junkie standpoint I find this highly interesting. And super awesome that we've come so far with science/medicine that we can do this for those who need it :)  

12/5 update:

Movement: Did not do this, mainly because of the rain. :/ It's still raining today, and probably will for a few more days, so I need to suck it up and just take a walk in the rain. I've got an umbrella, and it's not THAT cold, so there's really no excuse.

Tracking: Tracked my food and water on my daily log thread.

Sleep: I don't know why I stay up so late. :( I didn't actually try to fall asleep until 1am this morning. At which point I passed out and slept soundly for 7 hours, but I typically need around 8-9 hours, and right now I need more to catch up for earlier this week. So my established bed time probably needs to be 11pm...

9 hours ago, Arkania said:

Congrats on the new job :D

And yay for the testosterone therapy!

Thank you. ^_^

9 hours ago, Tobbe said:

I have no idea how this stuff works, but from a purely nerdy/fact/knowledge junkie standpoint I find this highly interesting. And super awesome that we've come so far with science/medicine that we can do this for those who need it :)  

I can tell you more about it if you'd like to know. My wife is also trans (going the other direction) so I know a lot about both "female to male" and "male to female" transitions. Medical science is pretty amazing these days!

• Like 1

12/6

Movement: It wasn't raining when I left work, so I took the "long way around" from the office to my car. I guess this counts as a walk?

Tracking: Yes.

Sleep: Still didn't get to bed at a good time, although I did get to bed a little earlier than last night.

• Like 1

Today, the owner of the office building where I'm working now had a catered lunch for the tenants. It was classic American "holiday food". For the non-Americans, this is pretty much exactly what a traditional "Thanksgiving" meal looks like:

IMG_20181207_114539080.thumb.jpg.8fc7f5a7767df3cd1bc786128a8805b3.jpg

Turkey, "stuffing", vegetables, mashed potatoes with gravy, a bread roll, and of course, pumpkin pie. The only thing missing is cranberry sauce - they did have some, but it was a weird, surupy kind, not the jelly/relish-like kind I'm used to.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Yay for the new job assignment and the testosterone therapy!

Also, following!

Thanks!

I disappeared for a while due to my wife' surgery, as I suspected I might. Oh well, getting back to normal now.

Since I'm talking about transition stuff a little, what she was having is a breast augmentation. Estrogen caused her to grow some breast tissue naturally, but it wasn't enough to be proportional to her shoulders/torso. She had breast implants put in on both sides back in August, but one side got infected, and the doctor had to remove the implant. Monday, they replaced it. This time, healing is going much more smoothly than last time! Hopefully it'll be quick.

• Like 3

Dec 13

Movement: Er, no.

Tracking: Yes.
Sleep: Absolutely atrocious. My sleep patterns got all messed up during the time I took of from work to nurse my wife. Trying to fix it now, but I've had less than 5 hours of sleep for the last 2 nights :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Dec 14:

Movement: no

Tracking: yes

Sleep: bad

Dec 15:

Tracking: no

Sleep: got enough, but not at the right times

Dec 16:

Sleep: got enough, but not at the right times

• Like 1

One week left in the challenge...

I want to add "do Duolingo for Norwegian" to the daily goals, because my wife has been bugging me to do them so that we don't lose the words we started learning. And she's right, I need to practice so I don't forget.

I haven't exactly been doing stellar at even this simple challenge so far. It's easy to let everything slip when there's so much to do for the holidays, the extra chores that my wife can't resume yet, etc etc... But I want to at least stick to a bare minimum of healthy behaviors. My physical health is important, too!

So I am going to try to get, like, 98% completion for this week. (I'm not shooting for 100% because perfectionism is the enemy!) If I can do that, then I get a special prize...

It feels kind of silly, because the prize is a mug, and I have a lot of mugs. But the other day at work, I left my coffee mug at home, and had to use the "communal" office mug. It turns out that the communal mug is actually really nice! It's stoneware, which is a bit heavier and more durable than your typical ceramic mug. It also has a very nice glaze. And it's big! (Like, hold-two-cups-of-coffee big.) I like big mugs.

After using that mug, I realized that I want to own one. But I can't really justify buying a new mug when I have more than enough at home. Even so, I googled the brand name, and found out that I can buy one at Target for about $5. Even better, Target is currently carrying a version of the mug with a really pretty glaze!

GUEST_c258ad40-baa6-4ea3-ae74-3a901f5308

https://www.target.com/p/belmont-green-reactive-16oz-mug-threshold-153/-/A-15744230

So this makes a perfect prize. I want it, but I don't need it. So the only way I will get this exact mug is if I complete the challenge!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jett said:

GUEST_c258ad40-baa6-4ea3-ae74-3a901f5308

So this makes a perfect prize. I want it, but I don't need it. So the only way I will get this exact mug is if I complete the challenge!

Yay for awesome loot! :D I like how it's different on the inside vs outside :) 

• Like 1

Dec 17:

Movement: Yes. Took a short walk around the building

Sleep: Got to bed at 12:45am, which is unfortunately better than what I'd been doing lately.

Duolingo: ja

Dec 18 (Day 2):

Movement: No :(

Tracking: Yes

Sleep: Nope, got to sleep at 2am

Duolingo: Kind of (had to make it up this morning)

• Like 3

On 12/18/2018 at 10:55 AM, Tobbe said:

Yay for awesome loot! :D I like how it's different on the inside vs outside :) 

It makes me think of a geode!

Dec 19 (Day 3):

Movement: Yes!

Sleep: Got to bed by 12:45 am.

Duolingo: Yes

I did it! I took the "big step" and called the endocrinologist for a consultation! (It's in January.) I'm excited and also scared...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jett said:

I did it! I took the "big step" and called the endocrinologist for a consultation! (It's in January.)

Good for you!

6 hours ago, Jett said:

Movement: Yes!

Jättebra! ;) 

11 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Jättebra! ;) 

Tack :)

Even though I've not been as close as I wanted to the goals on my challenge week so far, I decided to reward myself for taking the step of making an endocrinology consultation by buying the mug. Sadly, the Target I went to didn't have that pretty glaze. However, I found different a mug that I like almost as much. And it has the benefit of looking different from the other mugs at work, so I shouldn't have to worry about someone mistaking it for their own!

IMG_20181220_103657696.thumb.jpg.3516ee85ffe1b29560dd717f50f20d5d.jpg

• Like 1