• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

Spezzy's Better Late Than Never Challenge

giphy.gif

So! I'm a week late. But I actually have been rocking this challenge, even though I haven't posted it yet.

1) LIFTING:

As of right now, I'm planning on doing a competition December 22nd. That's 22 days away. 

My training has been lackluster lately due to still dealing with injuries from my car accident back in September. Some days I've got it and other days, it hurts so bad I leave in tears. 

I AM working under guidance of many doctors (currently 4 D:), so don't worry, I'm not pushing past what's smart or recommended. 

But I said I was going to do a meet in 2018 - and it's important to me to actually do it if at all possible. 

I initially was aiming for a 1,000lb total, but right now I'd like to just do it, and hit PRs on every lift. Since I haven't competed in 3 years, that should be easy.

My current PRs (meet / gym) are:

Squat: 122.5 / 135

Bench: 80 / 95

Deadlift: 185 / 192.5

2) PHYSICAL HEALTH STUFF:

Over the next 2 weeks, I need to get xrays, an MRI on my hip, and a EMG/NCS test (nerve conduction study).

In addition to that, I need to, at minimum:

• Chiropractor 1x a week
  • Massage 2x a week (1x is with Chiro)

3) MENTAL HEALTH STUFF:

With a lot going on right now, plus the amount of physical pain I'm in on a regular basis, my anxiety is at an all time high and I'm experiencing symptoms of depression again, for the first time in years. My training has been off more than on, and a lot of my normal coping mechanisms are just not being done.

• Get up every morning and walk at least 10 minutes outside in the sun before work. THIS HAPPENS EVEN IF IT'S RAINING. If it's completely downpouring, I spend 10 minutes outside on the porch meditating.  (I've done this every morning the last week --> I couldn't handle an entire challenge, but could handle that one thing! :) )
  • Some sort of activity in addition to the walking every single day. This could be a 20 minute workout, a 20 minute walk, a yoga session (at home or in a class environment, etc). Just something, every day. 

4) NUTRITION:

Following that last goal, my nutrition has slipped and that's a part of it too. 

• Eat at least 3 meals a day that have a protein and a vegetable
  • Limit to 1 sweet per day (and sweet must fit in with paleoish guidelines - so an RxBar, milk filled protein shake, etc.)

5) LIFE:

I'm moving from Texas to Virginia the week of Christmas, after this challenge ends. My mom is coming down and we're going to make a road trip out of it so that the little dog that's terrified of airplanes can come too. 

We already have a lease signed and a place to live, thankfully, and the majority of what we have is getting sold or going to be donated. That being said, there's a LOT to do.

• Work on the move at least 20 minutes each day, following the list I'm going to put together today. 
  • Work on accepting the fact that some things might not get sold on time, due to time restrictions for things that are higher priority (training / physical health / work) and may just need to be donated
  • FIND NEW DOCTORS AHEAD OF TIME. This will be partially difficult because my health insurance is changing, but thankfully my costs are going through the car insurance, so I should be able to find someone to go to and set up the appointments before I leave here. 

I already have my next challenge planned for when I get into Virginia - really excited about that. But first step is getting there!

• Like 8

Sorry you are still dealing with pain from the car accident. I can vouch for the depression fighting power of  walking outside. Even if it is blah and gray, it's still brighter than inside. I like your plan to sit outside under the porch if the weather is too bad . I have a small porch, I could do the same. Not promising I will talk myself into that, but it is a smart move.

So sorry about the car accident pain and the anxiety. It sounds like you have a challenge that you can do and which goes in the right direction, though, which is great. 

Fluffy animals are scientifically proven to increase emotional health, so, have some sugar gliders whose eyes defy reasonable size standards:

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c04077b674942734dgiphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c04086a4755435851

Have also some squirrels whose headgear brought to mind a certain costume:

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c0406db77713731368c67ac658a42d727436df85e7e5339e7--bbc-s-

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following!

hiii

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sorry you are still dealing with pain from the car accident. I can vouch for the depression fighting power of  walking outside. Even if it is blah and gray, it's still brighter than inside. I like your plan to sit outside under the porch if the weather is too bad . I have a small porch, I could do the same. Not promising I will talk myself into that, but it is a smart move.

I USED to walk every morning, and don't know how I got out of the habit. I think it rained for about a month straight, but I need to not use that as an excuse anymore. 

The porch feels like it could be super relaxing if it's downpouring. The smell and sounds alone are wonderful :D

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Harriet said:

So sorry about the car accident pain and the anxiety. It sounds like you have a challenge that you can do and which goes in the right direction, though, which is great. 

Fluffy animals are scientifically proven to increase emotional health, so, have some sugar gliders whose eyes defy reasonable size standards:

hahahah they DO increase emotional help. I will take all the fluffy animals :D

And thanks! There's nothing I can do about the car accident pain other than follow orders so might as well just accept it :)

• Like 1

okay, so updates.

I have walked every morning since last Monday. Every day was 10-15 minutes except for today which was between 20 and 25. 

Friday I left the gym crying because my hip was hurting so bad, but I woke up and felt great Saturday so decided to tackle deadlifts and rocked it.

Deadlift - 405 for 4 sets of 2

Then did some light accessory

Was going to go to the gym today but didn't sleep last night (had caffeine at around 4-5pm, so my fault) so am going to skip that and work + work on moving stuff today and go after my xrays tomorrow instead. For activity, I'll take Mads for a walk. 

• Like 8

On 12/2/2018 at 1:35 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Do you have a link for the comp you're doing later this month?

I'm not sure there is a link. It's a meet at my local gym, I've only seen fliers. I can look!

• Like 1

The 405 pound deadlift is awesome. I love seeing women lifting super heavy things because it makes me think it's possible for me, too, with enough time (somehow, seeing men lifting heavy things doesn't translate the same way). I've seen a couple of videos where people raise their arms before deadlifting. What is that for? And are all the things going well, or okay? 

Updates!

Last week I was unable to train most of the week because of issues with my hip and arm. 

Yesterday I finally got back to the gym, and had a great day. Deadlifted 455 which was a 30lb PR:

Then did some overhead press and lighter deadlift speed reps. 

Physical health wise, I did make it to chiro last week, and 1 massage, but missed my second one. I've got things scheduled for this next week.

Nutrition I have not been doing great - dealing with the move and trying to use up the food in the house and not feeling well. I haven't been doing bad, just not perfect. C so far. 

Move has been going GREAT. 

Still need to find new doctors. 

• Like 9

22 hours ago, Harriet said:

The 405 pound deadlift is awesome. I love seeing women lifting super heavy things because it makes me think it's possible for me, too, with enough time (somehow, seeing men lifting heavy things doesn't translate the same way). I've seen a couple of videos where people raise their arms before deadlifting. What is that for? And are all the things going well, or okay? 

Thanks! It IS one of those things that's possible if you work at it and keep at it :)

For raising arms, or really anything else that people do right before a deadlift, is usually a way to make sure you are setting up properly. Arms up for me helps with setting my lats on my back so my upper back stays tight. I think watching someone's set up is more informative of what they are doing than watching the actual lift :)

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That's an incredible PR and a huge jump. What's your Wilks score these days (calculated with practice PRs?)

Just did the math and around 425. If I hit my year end goals it'll be between 443 and 466.  Of course none of it counts unless in a meet, but getting there, hah. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, RedStone said:

Girl I didn't know it was so bad! Hugs. And good luck with the move - hope you're in a warm spot!

Thank you!! We're all alive and walking around so that's amazing in itself - so I really can not complain. It's just definitely caused me to shift around priorities and deal with it. Some days it's harder to keep positive for sure, but in general I feel pretty lucky :)

• Like 3

GUYS I HAVE AN UPDATE. 

The last few weeks have been just rough. Just some days everything hurt, some days it didn't. I've been lifting 2x a week and pretty much that's it because some days the pain is really bad. Movement seemed to help, but I was afraid to do a lot of movements because I wasn't sure what it is.

So I got an MRI and it turns out I've got a small labral tear in the hip and some massive inflammation around the sciatic nerve (but not the nerve itself, but the opening in the hip that the nerve goes through). So all things considered, best case scenario (something small and fixable is wrong). So it looks like when we were flying around the highway, my hip got hit pretty hard. 

So I'll need PT and likely some injections just to help with the inflammation, but no real movement restrictions and once the inflammation goes down I can get back to normal activity (with added rehab for the tear, obviously)

Part of what I was struggling with and what was causing me so much stress and depression because it sucks not being able to do normal every day things, or not being able to trust your body (like some days it'd be amazing and others I couldn't take Mads for a walk). 

But I'm feeling good about all of it now - I have a path to move forward. And that's the only direction I can go :)

• Like 8

It's so much better to know there's something actually wrong, even if it shelves you for a bit. Good to see you not only have a solution to your problem, but a positive outlook on it too.

• Like 2

I agree, knowing exactly what's wrong is so much better than merely knowing things aren't right somehow. I am awed by your valour and persistence in the face of serious pain and setbacks. You are mighty. May your onward journey be glorious. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

It's so much better to know there's something actually wrong, even if it shelves you for a bit. Good to see you not only have a solution to your problem, but a positive outlook on it too.

46 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I agree, knowing exactly what's wrong is so much better than merely knowing things aren't right somehow. I am awed by your valour and persistence in the face of serious pain and setbacks. You are mighty. May your onward journey be glorious. 

2 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Glad you know what is wrong and can work on fixing it, and that it's not a huge deal to fix.

Thanks everyone! Honestly - it's a huge relief knowing that not only something is wrong, but what it is. Since my strength is still mostly here, it's been hard getting people to take the pain seriously (my orthopedic doctor told me that my strength was working against me, because I pass all of the standard tests they do - my "injured" strength is greater than most people's "healthy" strength). 

There were a few weeks last month where I just wanted someone to believe me - because it felt like everyone was just brushing me off. So now I'm extremely glad to have this test to show what's going on. 

Also, a few of the things that were previously recommended to me based off my symptoms (so some stretches) are now off limits because of the tear, so that's HUGE. 

Now it's time to move forward and fix it. :D I'm excited to be able to do movements other than deadlifts and light dumbbell work (which is basically all I was doing for a bit there because they didn't hurt or cause things to get worse)

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, spezzy said:

my orthopedic doctor told me that my strength was working against me, because I pass all of the standard tests they do - my "injured" strength is greater than most people's "healthy" strength

I dislike how this makes it sound like being strong is a problem. It's not. Their tests are the problem, obviously, and they need to make changes to their testing protocol to accommodate your awesomeness. It sounds as if that is what happened though in a roundabout way, and now you know what your injury is and can start working to help it heal. That is very good news, congratulations on a good update! :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm glad they found the problem and that it is fixable. I suppose this means your meet is off the table?

I didn't know @spezzy was vegetarian.

I'll be here all week folks.

• Haha 2