That Orc kicks diabeetus in the dick.

(Mods:  I am not even sorry for the title.)

So it turns out that having undiagnosed type 2 diabetes for over a year makes for shitty training conditions.  Who knew?  Not me until this September.

It's been a chaotic few months, lot of steep learning curves to managing this sum'bitch but in the end it is a net positive.  No excuses not to clean up my diet and get my shit together any more.  I'm on metformin, not insulin at the moment.

Starting stats for when I was diagnosed in September
Weight: 312#
A1C blood sugar: 7.2 (bad, but not super bad)
LDL cholesterol: 3.0 (fine for a healthy person, but the diabeetus means I need to lower it)

Current stats:

Weight: 294# and maintaining
A1C blood sugar: 6.5 (acceptable, will do better with time)
LDL cholesterol: 1.54 (bang on the money.  No cholesterol medication for me!)

I have transitioned to a roughly 60% vegetarian diet.  I'm mildly lactose intolerant and I have been trying to be stricter about accidental dairy dosage (BUT THE CHEESE?!), and I actually enjoy beans and legumes, so it hasn't been all that hard.  I'm still tweaking the meal plan, but honestly the day job is so chaotic and busy and short staffed etc I'm just focusing on getting by right now.

Since going on the meds and cleaning up the diet lifting has been much easier.  I've been doing Wendler's 5/3/1 and loving it so far.  Despite the crap health year I've actually made progress on all my lifts.  I'll update more later, as this work week is insane.

Feel free to dump your favourite diabeeeeeetus memes here.  They're worth a laugh.

• Like 1

Way to go Rusk!

Keep kicking it while it's down too :D 

I've been Type 1 Diabetic for the past 23 years, and I've recently felt like I was kinda lucky to get it. I think it forced me to consider my life options a bit more carefully than my healthy (is that the right word?) friends. High sugar levels apparently cause a catabolic state in the body, which can obviously be a pain if we're lifting heavy things.

Keep good control & keep working hard!

• Like 1