• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

lollujo

Academy or Rising Heroes?

Hi folks - I'm a complete newbie, both to this forum and fitness in general, and I have a question - would the Academy or Rising Heroes be the best place to start? 

To give some context, I'm 300+ pounds and haven't really done regular exercise since school (nearly 20 years ago...). I've just joined the local gym on my doctor's advice - he wants me to lose around 100lb - but I don't really know where to start with diet or workouts. I made my way here via the First Time at the Gym article on the site, so I've been following the advice in that, just walking on the treadmill for the last few days, but I feel like I want to do something a bit more structured, and start making some changes to my diet as well.

So which plan should I invest my cash in to?

Thanks

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forums!

This is a great question - quoting a response from a different thread in here, so someone who has done both can weight in (I'm only an Academy member). 

On 9/29/2017 at 4:54 PM, Odinson_Rising said:

I use both products. Or, more accurately, I bought into the academy, and then Rising Heroes, which supplanted the academy for me. 

The most noticeable difference, for me, is that the NF Academy is self-paced. The quests are there, and you fill them up and gain levels. It's like a single player video game.

Rising Heroes, however, is an MMO. Your quests are delivered to you each campaign, and there's a definite improvement in the end-user experience if you join a squad and/or an active division. I love love LOVE the Rising Heroes model! The story is engaging and the missions are useful, and it's directed, y'know? The sub is pricey at $29 a month, but believe me when I tell you it's worth it. If I were in your shoes, I'd do Rising Heroes, unless the monthly fee is too much. Seriously, though. It's worth every penny.

Personally, I don't think there is a single correct answer - it is person dependent. The Academy is very self-paced, which might be helpful if you find yourself struggling with certain aspects. When you sign up for NFA, you'll get e-mails for the first 12 weeks with quests to focus on and get you started. It's definitely a good place for a beginner because it starts you with small steps to build up habits before tackling anything major. The downside is that it is self-paced, so if you need more push, it might not be the place for you. You'll also get access to a private FB group. I know the women's page is super active and a major keeping point for people, even if they aren't necessarily at a point to use the Academy any more. 

RH is more structured. So you'll continue to get quests to work on as long as you are a member of the program. I'm not sure how structured it is for beginners though. So I don't know if, as a beginner, you'd struggle more. Someone more versed in the program would have to give more insight than I can.