• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Marauder

(Marauder) Pardon me, Do you have any Grey Poupon?

Ola!  Long time no see.  Missed you nerds.  And yes, I'm very late.

Since I've been gone, I've enjoyed a life ripe with sloth and gluttony (and no not that Sloth, get your mind outta the gutter!).  Ok, well, I may be exaggerating a bit, but I have also not managed to keep up my fitness and health goals as much as I'd like.  In addition, I've managed somehow to turn 50.  It was a less than glorious moment y'all.  I struggled HARD with this birthday, but I'm coming around and I've got a plan.  It seriously shocks me that I'm 50.  I swear it was just yesterday I turned 40.  Really!  And then I thought...  I've been on this fitness and health journey for SOOOO long.  The real problem I have is sticking to it.  I've done a lot of reading about willpower, habits, etc. over the years and I think I've come to the root of my issue here...  patience.  I've got very little.  If I'd taken the time and patience to really own a few good lifestyle, nutrition, and exercise habits when I turned 40...  (I mean really take my time and OWN them!)  maybe I'd be in a different place right now?  So we're gonna give it a try and I can think of no better place for accountability and support than here with my rangers.  You are totally stuck with me now until I turn 60 and can conclude my hypothesis.  *smirk*

Rules for My Impatient Self:

1.  Focus on one habit for 2 weeks before adding another.

2.  Track each habit for 1 month before deciding if you own it yet.

3.  If you don't own that habit yet, keep tracking another 2 weeks and reassess.

4.  Never add more than one habit at a time.

5.  Never more than 2 habits being tracked.  Keep it simple!

The idea is a rolling habit track/add.  Focusing on one habit for an entire month seemed a little long and I was worried about boring myself to death.  The plan gives me room to keep things fresh, but also make sure a habit is established before adding more.  And...  Just because my habit for Dec 20 is weight training, doesn't mean I can't do any of that before then...  that would be counterproductive, right?  It's just not the focus and not being tracked.

Start Dec 6:  Vitamin D and multivitamin daily.  Eat slowly.  Stop when satisfied.

ODIwZWFkOWZiNCMvSFJiVUZLeGR6a0w5UkNvWWdJ

Start Dec 20:  Weight training 2x/wk

50f0b64af09808834edf7c34136e6632.gif

So...  who's excited to see me log on and check off one task every day for the next two weeks!!!!  

tenor.gif

• Like 9

Heh, maybe a mod could delete the thread I created in the wrong challenge thread.  Doh!   I turn 50 and can't internet.  Good grief!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also, now that I've established FIRST, I can take my time and tell you how excited I am to see you :D! Can I say this...you look great for 50. You're just turning over a new leaf and will find your groove ;)

Also..

Image result for do you have any grey poupon gif

:D 

Glad to have ya back, Marauder!

Wolf

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Wolfpool said:

Also, now that I've established FIRST, I can take my time and tell you how excited I am to see you :D! Can I say this...you look great for 50. You're just turning over a new leaf and will find your groove ;)

Also..

Image result for do you have any grey poupon gif

:D 

Glad to have ya back, Marauder!

Wolf

LOL.  Challenge has nothing to do with mustard, but it makes me giggle.  And thank you! :love_heart:

21 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Welcome! So good to see you again!

:love_heart:  Thank you Tank!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Ola!  Long time no see.  Missed you nerds.  And yes, I'm very late.

It's great to see you back. I'm sure excited! 

• Like 1

@Marauder! You're back!

I've been a lot on habits and willpower too (currently reading "Atomic Habits") and I've had the same thoughts as you; If only I'd had the patience to do it slowly 10 years ago I'd be pretty kick ass by now. Here's to the next 10 years where we do kick ass! :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

It's great to see you back. I'm sure excited! 

Aw, thank you!!!  

21 hours ago, Arkania said:

Sounds interesting. I also struggle with sticking to habits.

Habits are the hardest!  Very rewarding and easy once established, but oh boy getting there is rough.

13 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Sloth and gluttony are two of my favorite sins.

Ditto.  Who needs lust and pride.  (also, hello friend)

11 hours ago, Maigahane said:

@Marauder! You're back!

I've been a lot on habits and willpower too (currently reading "Atomic Habits") and I've had the same thoughts as you; If only I'd had the patience to do it slowly 10 years ago I'd be pretty kick ass by now. Here's to the next 10 years where we do kick ass! :)

Yoho! Oh, I haven't read Atomic Habits.  I'll add that to my list for later when I start to fizzle,  LOL.  It's inevitable.  I have a whole year of habits every two weeks already listed out.  I'm determined!!!  How have you been doing?  

10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Glad to see you back. I'm confident that you will rock this next decade

Thank Elastigirl!  I sure hope so.  The 50s are gonna be my time (this is what I keep repeating in my head for reinforcement).

Thanks for all the welcomes friends!  I need to scurry off after I post and find everyone's challenge threads.  @Sloth the Enduring are you challenging or are you still a battle log man?  I intended to find everyone yesterday, but right after I posted my challenge, my router went out and thus ensued a whole day of router acquisition, programming, and then resetting every freaking thing in the house to use the new wifi, aka. yesterday was all fire fighting.

I DID take my vitamin D and multivitamin.  

I DID NOT eat slow (why is that SO hard?), but I did stop at satisfied rather than full.

I have been continuing intuitive eating since I abandoned my last challenge with medium success.  Sometimes I do ok, sometimes not so much.  I'd like to do better.  I am finding myself really challenged to eat slow.  Im not sure the psychology behind that or maybe its just a bad habit.  The things I've read recommend you take 20 minutes...  YES, TWENTY... to eat a meal.  Does anyone out there take 20 minutes to eat a meal? like without say...  eating while playing God of War or playing Summoners War on your phone or reading a book?  20 Minutes is SOOO long.  LOL.  I have a new strategy...  Today, I will time myself eating my meals and then try and add time each day...  I don't know how much yet, maybe a couple minutes at first?  Honestly, I probably prepare and eat my lunch in less than 5 minutes.  Yikes.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, doctorake said:

Welcome back!

I am following along.

Hey Doctorake!  I thought of you the other day...  I had what looked like a Go Ruck go past my house a month or so ago...  :D

I've been working on the eating slow too. I find it super hard. One thing that helps is when I put my fork down between bites. I'm also trying to make sure I chew all my food before I pick up the fork and eat the next bite. But usually I only remember that for half the meal, so it's still in progress.:redface-new:

• Like 1

Marauder! Welcome back! I have been gone a long time myself. All I can say with the slow eating is:

1. Do not multitask, eating time is only for eating

2. Try counting bites to make sure everything is properly chewed

3. Plan out the mealtime because a meal on the go or quick dinner will turn into stress as you fight between slower eating and thinking about everything you have to do after.

Good luck!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I've been working on the eating slow too. I find it super hard. One thing that helps is when I put my fork down between bites. I'm also trying to make sure I chew all my food before I pick up the fork and eat the next bite. But usually I only remember that for half the meal, so it's still in progress.:redface-new:

All wonderful tips!

3 hours ago, Arkania said:

I eat with chop sticks, that slows me down :D

YASSSS!  Why didn't I think of this!  I was in Japan in June and I even made a mental note about how much longer it took me to eat and how much more pleasurable that was.  Sometimes I need to get hit with a brick!  I went 2 weeks without using a knife and fork.  I got this!

2 hours ago, Volki said:

Marauder! Welcome back! I have been gone a long time myself. All I can say with the slow eating is:

1. Do not multitask, eating time is only for eating

2. Try counting bites to make sure everything is properly chewed

3. Plan out the mealtime because a meal on the go or quick dinner will turn into stress as you fight between slower eating and thinking about everything you have to do after.

Good luck!

Thanks Volki!!  I'm glad we both made it back. *big hug*  The not multitasking is kinda hard for me, but yes, you have a very good point.

So much great advice.  Thank you friends!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Marauder said:

Yoho! Oh, I haven't read Atomic Habits.  I'll add that to my list for later when I start to fizzle,  LOL.  It's inevitable.

It's not my favorite. It's more...clinical? than most habit books I've read. It talks more about the science behind habits and (IMO) could use more real examples of how to put it to use. I read "Small move, Big Change" by Caroline Arnold recently and I liked that one a lot more.

How have you been doing?  

Wooboy it's been an interesting year. Spoilered for personal rantings on not-my-challenge:

Spoiler

My job went from mostly good to "I gotta GTFO!". The anxiety it caused kept me from making any real progress and I actually ended up using the EAP benefits to get some counseling sessions. So this summer I vaguely started looking for a new job and almost immediately found "the one". It perfectly lines up with what I want to do and use the semi-specialized knowledge I've gained at my last job. Plus Friday's off in the summer!! (after working insane hours during tax season....). I got the job in August but because of some drama involving the recruiting agency and my old job, my old boss got to have some say in how soon I could leave so I didn't start until mid-October. So far it's been great. I have a great boss and (I don't know if you were around for any of my rantings about Kevin but) NO MORE F*CKING KEVIN! It did throw a major wrench in my routines though which took me a few weeks to realize why I was struggling so much and get back on track.
Oh, and I had FOUR nieces/nephews born this year. Two very high drama (both parents already don't have custody of their first two children) right went work was really bad, which didn't help things. So far nothing's happened with either of them (that I know of) and I've come to terms with the fact that there's nothing I can do so I'm much calmer about that now too

I am finding myself really challenged to eat slow.  Im not sure the psychology behind that or maybe its just a bad habit.  The things I've read recommend you take 20 minutes...  YES, TWENTY... to eat a meal.  .......  Honestly, I probably prepare and eat my lunch in less than 5 minutes.  Yikes.

I'm the same way! Food is gone in 5 minutes. Period.

8 hours ago, Arkania said:

I eat with chop sticks, that slows me down :D

Oooh! That's a great idea. I have metal chopsticks with me at all times (don't ask....actually do, I love spreading the word about my travel silverware), I'll have to try this

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Maigahane said:

It's not my favorite. It's more...clinical? than most habit books I've read. It talks more about the science behind habits and (IMO) could use more real examples of how to put it to use. I read "Small move, Big Change" by Caroline Arnold recently and I liked that one a lot more.

Wooboy it's been an interesting year. Spoilered for personal rantings on not-my-challenge:

Reveal hidden contents

My job went from mostly good to "I gotta GTFO!". The anxiety it caused kept me from making any real progress and I actually ended up using the EAP benefits to get some counseling sessions. So this summer I vaguely started looking for a new job and almost immediately found "the one". It perfectly lines up with what I want to do and use the semi-specialized knowledge I've gained at my last job. Plus Friday's off in the summer!! (after working insane hours during tax season....). I got the job in August but because of some drama involving the recruiting agency and my old job, my old boss got to have some say in how soon I could leave so I didn't start until mid-October. So far it's been great. I have a great boss and (I don't know if you were around for any of my rantings about Kevin but) NO MORE F*CKING KEVIN! It did throw a major wrench in my routines though which took me a few weeks to realize why I was struggling so much and get back on track.
Oh, and I had FOUR nieces/nephews born this year. Two very high drama (both parents already don't have custody of their first two children) right went work was really bad, which didn't help things. So far nothing's happened with either of them (that I know of) and I've come to terms with the fact that there's nothing I can do so I'm much calmer about that now too

I'm the same way! Food is gone in 5 minutes. Period.

Oooh! That's a great idea. I have metal chopsticks with me at all times (don't ask....actually do, I love spreading the word about my travel silverware), I'll have to try this

I love that travel silverware!  

Also, wow.  I was not around for Kevin stories, but I can just imagine.  I will add that book to my list for sure!  I'm glad you are in a job you love.  It sounds amazing, especially after a pretty stressful year.  *hug*

I DID take my vitamin D and multivitamin yesterday.  I have to take these later in the day because of my other meds that I take in the morning, so I'll be post-posting.  LOL.  how's that for a new word.

I DID a little better with eating slower.  Ironically, after experiencing the lightbulb chopstick/hashi moment, we had soup for dinner.  *smirk*

In other news, I did a thing this morning...  I joined a gym.  It has been a long time.  It took a lot of push to get me to do this because I have a full barbell setup in the basement and a rower. My husband has been going for a couple of months though and I bought a guest pass today to go get on the treadmill.  (The air quality has been so bad that I've already missed a couple of days walking because I can't be outside.  :().   Once I got in there, I remembered how much I love a gym.  This one has so many options and so much great equipment and I love variety in a workout.  Plus...  treadmill for those vault/smog days!    

The possibilities make me happy.  :D 

• Like 6

On 12/7/2018 at 8:21 AM, Marauder said:

I have a whole year of habits every two weeks already listed out.

Care to share any of your list? I thought about making a list too (the Small Move, Big Change book is right up the alley of micro-habit changes like you're planning on) but I'm afraid if I make a list I'll try to do them all while telling myself I'm really not. Even already, with my new gym my small habit goal is to go once a week but in the two weeks since I joined I've gone 5 times and had to stop myself from trying to also add in a run day and a lifting day at the free gym ('cause deadlifts!) and from making a specific goal of how often/long I ride on the bike trainer that I got out this week

8 hours ago, Marauder said:

In other news, I did a thing this morning...  I joined a gym.  It has been a long time.  It took a lot of push to get me to do this because I have a full barbell setup in the basement and a rower. My husband has been going for a couple of months though and I bought a guest pass today to go get on the treadmill.  (The air quality has been so bad that I've already missed a couple of days walking because I can't be outside.  :().   Once I got in there, I remembered how much I love a gym.  This one has so many options and so much great equipment and I love variety in a workout.  Plus...  treadmill for those vault/smog days!    

Sounds like it's a good decision for you. It's definitely a different experience working out at a gym vs working out at home, even if you're doing the same things. Plus, options! :)

18 hours ago, Marauder said:

Once I got in there, I remembered how much I love a gym.  This one has so many options and so much great equipment and I love variety in a workout.  Plus...  treadmill for those vault/smog days!    

I'm sorry the smog doesn't seem to get better for you, but its awesome you've found a workaround. It's even more awesome that you're happy about it!!

Oh, and 

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c0d202b61304c5a59

• Like 1