• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

firstmatedavy

What can I do to build core muscles faster?

I'm a transgender man, and one of my goals is to change my body shape to look more masculine. I have big hip bones, so my best bet is to make my upper body thicker so I look proportionate.

I'm not following a specific program yet. I've been doing all lot of overhead presses and rows to build up my shoulders. I use dumbbells, often one side at a time in hopes of improving core strength. I've also been doing farmers carries, and using the machine where you pull down on a hanging bar connected to a stack of weights. I can sort-of squat. I've been holding off on deadlifts so far because I can't get the form right (probably bad leg flexibility) and I'm worried about making my anterior pelvic tilt worse.

What exercises should I add to make my waist and/or chest look thicker? Is doing all my lifts one-sided a good approach? I'm mostly looking for lifting-type exercises - I really really don't enjoy most bodyweight exercise that I've tried.

Most good core exercises are bodyweight-based.  It's hard to work abs directly with a barbell (at least in my experience)

Planks: For time, with or without a weight vest or a plate on your back

Leg raises/Hanging Leg Raises:  These will work your core harder than you think.

Dragon Flags:  If it's good enough for Bruce Lee, it's good enough for us.

Ab Wheel:  For when you really hate yourself.

Go to the Youtube and look up a guy named Brian Alshrue (NEVERsate athletics)  He has a bunch of videos that deal with core/oblique exercises.

15 minutes ago, firstmatedavy said:

Thanks! I guess the thing to do is try them all to find some I don't hate. (Like the recommendation on vegetables)

EAT YER VEGGIES!

17 hours ago, Rusk said:

EAT YER VEGGIES!

I've gotten so much better with that since my husband started tracking calories with me - he's snacking on tomatoes now, so I steal some. And got some raw-edible peas. And we're cooking with squash more, too.

I want to start growing spinach at my desk so I can be like Popeye.

On 12/6/2018 at 3:42 PM, firstmatedavy said:

Thanks! I guess the thing to do is try them all to find some I don't hate. (Like the recommendation on vegetables)

Depends on how much you want the goal...the human body/mind can be a lazy thing...If the goal is something worthwhile...its probably going to suck getting there.

I hated the gym, hated being embarrassed by how low my weights were when I lifted...hated where I'd let myself get to. Once I realized by doing the things I 'hated' as the only way I could get to where I wanted...I started to enjoy them (especially as I got better at them). It turned out, I didn't hate the stuff (exercises/lifts), I hated not being good at them...as I got better, I liked them :-D

Good luck! Stick with it!