tgp tries to quietly slip into (old) habits

well, hello guys!

been pretty busy today so I've not got SO much time.  I did want to report on my weeks goals...

recall that I wanted to ....

I want to exercise at least 5 - 7 hours.  (1 point)

• 2-3 hour hike (1 point) on the weekend;.  Wear a backpack weight 10-20#!
  • I want to get back to doing strength training (1 point)!  and at least once (preferably twice)- a 1 hour session in the morning. 
  • next Thursday Climing (1 point)- and if there's any uncertain do it tuesday. 
  • Give yourself another point if  you are within an hour of spending just as much time doing exercise as chess (1 point)

In chess, I need to study more and while not avoiding frequent chess online chess games; quite doing game after game (and losing)

• Spending (within an hour) as much time studying chess than playing online (1 point)
  • Blundering Less than 1:20 (1 point) moves.
  • currently I'm 1338.  by the end of the week I want to be up by 3 games.  (~1360), (1 point)
  • Disclipine myself to play no more than 2 Games per night (1 point).  UNLESS, I'm winning!  if I'm winning every game.  STOP when you lose your first game.
  • Study out (1 point) 3 endgame positions; 3 middlegame positions and 3 opening positions.  Show later than I can successfully play (*)  3 of this tricky positions a day or so later

it was a MIXED Bag!

EXERCISE TIME*  4 hours.  I fell short

HIKE*  YES!  a  good hike.  a little shorter than I would have liked but.... I carried the heavy load (25#)

STRENGTH TRAINING*  :( NO!  my morning are SO ruined these day.  totally did NOT do anything.

CLIMBING* YES  a good day yesterday.  I'm struggling a bit on a route that I had DOWN before; meaning I lost a little skill/strength/technique being inactive.  :( 

CHESS/EXERCISE* PROBABLY/BARELY  not that I put so MUCH TIME into exercise, more that I put only a little bit of time into either one.

(2.5/ 5)

STUDY/PLAYING.  NO.  not exact #'s.  but it was better than some weeks but still NOT what I intended

BLUNDERING.    YES!  only a few bad blunders this week.  

1338 -> 1385.  WOOT.  won 8games, lost 2!  a really good winning streak this week.  the best in some time

ONLY 2 games a day.  YES!  good discipline, THOUGH, it would have been better to play MORE.  PLAY, PLAY, and PLAY when you are winning like that!

STUDY out position.   ONly the Opening got good study this week, so Its a solid "NO".  I need to do more than this!

(3/5)

SUMMARY

5.5 / 10.  that feels kind of "meh" except that other weeks... I think I would rate really really low on this criteria

so you KNOW what?

I think I'll try again!   and Maybe, maybe do a better job calculating how much time I'm studying chess (and do more of that, as well)...

• Like 2

ok thats out of the way.  In case your wondering; I really am very excited to do a vlog.  but I just bought my camera today and I want to take some time on the weekend to do a nice vlog.  something a little better than it could be.  First impressions and all....   I give myself till sunday to film it and I will try to post it by Monday.

some of you guys are already on your 2nd blog entry.  :respect

Also

I have to sadly say that today has not been THAT good of a day.  I've been having problems with my Furnace for some time; I just NOW got a chance to have someone over to look at it and the answer is about as bad as it could be!  it turns out that the pipe carrying gas are getting cracks on the inside... this has caused changes in pressure that the system intermittently detects.   the system then is running as its desinged and likely has saved me from a horrible event.  once the cracks make it to the outside of the pipe- the furnace can leak gas and explode!

I feel a little like I went to a doctor for a routine checkup and got told that I had a bad aneurysm and could Die at any moment.

the problems ofc, is that its no easy task to suddenly come up with 3-4000$.  happily though I actually prolly can afford it!  this will come at the expense of my son's braces.   My wife is convinced that this could cause long term dental problems if not addressed and time is Limited, as health care will run out on him if he graduates from HS and Doesn't go to college (and at moment, he is NOT seriously thinking of going to college).

so she's a bit distraught.

idk. I'm not such a fan of braces (had em' and I don't think there are ALL that!) anyways.  I also note my son is no great fan of them.  Maybe? in fact, we can replace our furnace with a wood stove.  and i think THAT would have several big advantages for us...  for one we have a relative with Land and trees.   we're close enough on money that saving $1000/year in National gas is a really good deal... although that savings would come at the expense of a heck of a lot of wood cutting TIME and effort.

for its all a Bad thing that could be seen as a good thing....

but thats prolly in truth a bad thing.

Losing Most of my christmas income is just no fun.  my house has been far more of a curse than I imagined when I bought it.

Lingering feeling of Wishing I had enough money to buy a really good house rather than a fixer upper beyond my means to fix it, or have it fixed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
24 minutes ago, TGP said:

omething a little better than it could be.  First impressions and all....   I give myself till sunday to film it and I will try to post it by Monday.

What's that saying about the rest of us? ;) 

I'm really sorry to hear about the furnace. That really sucks. I hope you are able to come up with a solution. 

• Like 1

Ok, I wanted to make this much better, with a seperate audio and video...

I am buggered and blitzed on how to do this.  there's all kinds of Free tools, that, aren't so free!

so hang it.  here is me playing one of my songs.  I have a low tech idea on how to do the video/audio.    I'll try to pick some video later.

by the way, I'll warn you that I look, frankly, pretty weird when playing.  :(  (also this is my fourth take.... hence, not quite as good of an intro.)

first impressions are over-rated.  LOL

I am what I am...

• Like 2

OH IT'S THE PIANO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS SO SO AWESOME!!!! ^___________^

To be fair if I had to make a video of me concentrating on anything I'd definitely make the weird faces too.  Like I've seen video of myself playing competitive video games before.... hoo boy howdy.  I THINK IT CAME OUT GREAT!!  And it really makes me miss playing the piano.............

What are you using to record?  Is it just your phone, or a different device entirely?  (I think you mentioned some type of recording thingamajigger?)

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

That was great! Thanks for sharing

5 hours ago, shaar said:

OH IT'S THE PIANO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS SO SO AWESOME!!!! ^___________^

To be fair if I had to make a video of me concentrating on anything I'd definitely make the weird faces too.  Like I've seen video of myself playing competitive video games before.... hoo boy howdy.  I THINK IT CAME OUT GREAT!!  And it really makes me miss playing the piano.............

What are you using to record?  Is it just your phone, or a different device entirely?  (I think you mentioned some type of recording thingamajigger?)

5 hours ago, Salinger said:

wow wow wow so talented!! GOOD JOB and thanks so much for sharing this <3 warms my heart xx

Thanks!

yeah.  I picked up a camera the other day, and I figured out how to post stuff to youtube

@Shaar , so you have played some piano, in the past?  thats cool.  for nearly 15 years I didn't play At all- very minimally, and then I decided to get back into it.  I hate letting a talent slumber.  I spent a good deal of time when I was a young guy (18) taking lessons, and I didn't want that to go to waste.

anyways, its NEVER too late!  the trick is having time to practice.  this is still pretty tough for me.  I bet I spend only 3-5 hours /week practicing.  its enough to slowly get to Intermediate levels; but Not the seriousness you would need to really master the instrument.  I'll give a big shout out for piano lessons, too.  it helps.

anyways, I 'm glad to see it came out pretty good.  I'm not exactly sure it was my best effort or best performance  but hang first expectations.  I got in on vlogging Friday! 

• Like 1

Hey Guys

Its Friday!  yeah.  but more importantly they are putting in the new furnace Today!  very blessed to have had mild,relatively warm weather nearly the entire time (that my old furnace was broke)

and today is the first day of winter.  what good Timing!

------

anyways Life HAS been busy and I see that practically the whole challenge is nearly over.  Time goes by So quickly!

:(

its been a good challenge nonetheless. 

------

I didn't tell you yet. I had the Best hike the other night.   It was a bright and moonlight night and not too cold.  so I decided to go out!  there is this area where oil wells has created a dizzying maze of dirt roads.  from where you can park to back gate of "chapman" state park is not much further than 2 miles strait.   but figuring out the maze like roads that go there has always been a daunting task.  so I took my GPS, and like a rat in a mze went out to find it; by turning tracking ON. and when, finding a dead end, going back to the last intersection and picking another road.

and I did it!  Yay!  and ofc its really good since now that "Track" is in the Gps and I should be able to walk right there, in the future. 

anyways, I had a lot of fun.  it was really cool walking under the full moon as you can walk with the head lamp off.   the landscape has an odd and interesting look under the full moon; you can see out into the distance; but its a murky dim light (or something) and there are dark shadows everywhere.  there is No colors yet everything seems oddly blue.  any time I ran into potholes and obstacles I had the turn the headlamp ON, which greatly helps getting over it.... but the white lamp also blinds me afterwards.

anyways you Might think it doesn't sound so good at all. but I am , definitely, into adventuring.  I love the thrill of something that is oddly difficult.  figuring out mazelike roads or walking in dim light might not appeal to many people... but I thought it was exciting and strangely beautiful.  the whole walk took 9 miles, which tells you how much wandering I ended up doing; to get to a place 2.5 miles away.

--------

How did I do this week? let me see

* Hike!   really, REALLY good as I squeezed in 2 hikes this week.  one on saturday with my son and the one I was talking about.   so I'm giving myself a bonus point ... 2

* Do Strength training.  :(  I totally HAVE to get my morning under control and/or do this monday night! 0

* Do some climbing.  1 point.  yet unfortunately not quit as long this week.  thursday was a busy day and it was late!

* Balance your time between Exercise& chess.   oh boy.  I did MUCH less chess than normal!  0.5.  for the unexpected reality that I did MUCH more exercise this week than chess

*Study more than you play.   Chess Study was horrible this week.  I did very little chess study.  :(   totally 0

*Don't Blunder!  yeah, I had a couple game where me and my opponent did a bunch of aimless, uneffective moves - then I made a weakness and my opponent pulverized me.  another zero- It wasn't good.  0

*Win three more games than I lost.  I think I'm rather level with a nearly equal score from Last friday 0

*don't play (& play) when losing.  ok.  I did good with that!  1

*Study out positions.   NOPE.  so the first one.  0

so that is 4.5/10.

NOT a good week for my me (goalwise).  and the coming week will be dominated by christmas.

well, I will still persevere.

friday vlogging!   and I got a good video for it.  but I'm having login problems with youtube.

I'll try to post it tonight.  

• Like 2

as for MY goals

I think I need a schedule.  instead "THIS week  I will do"... on Monday I will do this and on Thursday THAT

def a hike on Saturday but maybe NOT a climb on Thursday

Thurs-Friday I'm going winter camping.... unless the weather is too miserable.  anyways, WINTER CAMPING!

wahoo!! can't wait.

camping-d-hiver.jpg?w=1080&ssl=1

I'll bet you I'm gonna be SO COLD! ha! 

636168931643715367-VWmKV-f-thumbnail-100

• Like 1

yeah, it looks pretty doesn't it?

I haven't winter camped much and when I have.... what I notice is how much harder the cold and snow make things.   take for example just crawling into the sleeping bag.   the fire is low and nearly out... your tent is nestled into the snow and its (inevitable?) that you drag in some snow.  that turns to ice winter and makes something really, really cold for the morning.  

and NOW it has snowed 2 feet.   ..  your almost shaking before you get out of your sleeping bag.   your socks carefully dried by the fire last night are covered in snow.   Nevertheless-Get dressed! and in all that snow; you've got to make a fire!

that's is no small task!   they should have a contest to see how can do it!  and how long (and how much swearing) it takes. ha!

Is it crazy that I'm definitely Looking forward to it! ha! yes I am.  I would rather deal with all the inconvenience of nature's wild; than half of the stress, bustle, and Meh of the modern life.

• Like 1
On 12/21/2018 at 4:56 PM, TGP said:

I didn't tell you yet. I had the Best hike the other night.   It was a bright and moonlight night and not too cold.  so I decided to go out!  there is this area where oil wells has created a dizzying maze of dirt roads.  from where you can park to back gate of "chapman" state park is not much further than 2 miles strait.   but figuring out the maze like roads that go there has always been a daunting task.  so I took my GPS, and like a rat in a mze went out to find it; by turning tracking ON. and when, finding a dead end, going back to the last intersection and picking another road.

and I did it!  Yay! 

Awesome adventure! I think I would like to do something like that too :D but not alone.

On 12/21/2018 at 7:25 PM, TGP said:

WINTER CAMPING!

wahoo!!

And the next adventure awaits.

All the best for Christmas and this week. May it be a blessed time.

• Like 2

Well, Thats the Challenge isn't it!?

did ok I spose

glad to get back here...

holidays are making it miserable to do anything useful ( in terms of self-improvement).

Thanks for Checking me out and I'm sorry for being so Missing for many months.

I'm gonna try to stick to this place.

onto the Next Challenge!

• Like 1