• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wolfy

Wolfy Fights To Stay Moving

Greetings all! I know I am beyond late for this challenge but I hope that I can still participate and make some friends. 

Ok so long story short after a VERY bad doctors appointment I am beyond motivated to eat healthy and move my body as much as possible. I apologize in advance cause I know this is some heavy stuff, but I feel like I need to share it somewhere.  This Thursday I was diagnosed with Myelomalacia - basically an injury to my spine which has resulted in part of my spinal cord dying. This will spread to my whole body until I am completely paralyzed and maybe even die from respiratory paralysis. Sound fun, huh? So I have 2 little boys aged 3 and 4 and they need there mommy to bandage their scrapes, go on walks with them, play with them and just be their mommy. So, becoming paralyzed is NOT an option. My only course of action is surgery set for some time within the next month. As it is my fingertips have already begun to go numb and its spreading to some fingers. Super duper scary. They good thing is the surgery will halt the deterioration where it stands. 

In the meantime there are a few things I can do to help slow the process. First is I have to keep moving. This is the literal example of if "you dont use it, you lose it". I love to write, journal, crochet, play piano and guitar. Losing my fingers is not gonna happen. That would be a fate worse than death I think for me. So Dr recommended Tai Chi. No crazy yoga poses that might further my injury. Does anyone know of any good youtube tai chi videos? 

Next I will also be losing a TON of weight to reduce the stress on my spine and limbs. No shame, I am 5 feet even and currently weight 222 pounds. On the high end I'm supposed to be 100 pounds lighter. So I am working on a major shift in eating. 

1. 10 cups of water daily

2. Transition to a paleo diet. Opt for homecooked meals, try to reduce diet coke and rockstar intake. I work graveyard shift at a hospital and LIVE on caffiene. I need to switch to  coffee and then eventually cut that back too. After tracking for a few weeks my carb intake was like 200g daily. I am now setting a goal of 150g max daily for the first week and each week I will reduce it. I've been working hard the past week and have actually been averaging 100g or lower, so I'm quite happy with that progress. 

3. No sweets - i'm generally horrible when it comes to eating ho-hos, swiss rolls, chips ahoy, any carb loaded sugar loaded decadence. From now on I'll allow maybe 1 treat a week. 

4. No sugary drinks - sorry dunkin donuts, but your frozen mocha goodness is a thing of the past.

So until the end of the month, these are my objectives. jan1 I will re-evaluate how I have done so far and adjust as needed. I will keep updated here as I progress with my surgery and attempts to get healthy. I will NOT allow this to stop me. I will NOT allow this to take away my ability to hold my children, ruffle their hair and cuddle them. Thank you for taking the time to read my rant and I look forward to hearing from you. 

HI All! So so far so good. I am tracking everything that I'm eating and have been steady with drinking at least 10 cups of water daily. Yesterday I didn't have any sweets, which was a huge change for me. My average carbs this week has been 132g (under the 150 goal!). I had one bad day where I had 193g carbs. Sugar has averaged 44g and besides one bad day of 72g I'm happy with that. 

My work scrubs seem a smidge looser, so thats a nice thought that I'm making progress. I cannot wait to see what the upcoming weeks bring!

Oh goodness!  I am just now seeing your thread!  

SO happy you are here!  Your goals look great.  I'm sorry to hear about your doctor's appointment, but at least now you have a starting point and have been giving tips on things you can do to help your diagnosis.

I shall keep you in my thoughts for your upcoming surgery.

Keep up the good work!  :frog: