• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rebel Dan

Push up's Question - Help

Hi, so here is my situation. Started 281lbs, now im 252lbs - its been about 9 months since I joined NF. Best thing I ever done, the knowledge ive gained here is priceless. I primarily do Bodyweight workouts - im not super interested in lifting anything other than my own weight - as such I train with rings (although im not real good at them yet) and do BW exercises.

on to the the point.. I started my push up journey doing them off of a 3 foot high counter.. about 2 months ago I found I was able to do them on my knees, and recently I discovered i can actually do about 3-4 reps with out my knees on the ground. With my knees on the ground I can do about x3 sets of 12 ... without knees on the ground I can do 3 sets but its like 3-4 on the first set, 2-3 on the second, and 1-2 on the third..

Do I keep sticking with the knees, and doing more reps.. or push through the no knees with smaller reps whats better?

When I was learning push-ups and transitioned to full, I always did negatives after I stalled. Like I did 4 reps and then started at the-top and slowly lowered myself down (as slow as possible) for as many more reps as i could. 3 sets of that(you'll feel the burn). Over time I got more pus-ups and less negatives.

Howdy dan!

Welcome and congrats on the progress so far! 

I also started with bodyweights and knee pushups. What I tended to do was go with the more difficult movement first, then filled in if I couldn't complete with an easier version

Example: If I'm trying to do a set of 10 pushups, I try to do 10 'regular' pushups. Lets say I get to 4 then fall flat on my face. Rest for 30-60 seconds and try again, if I'm still zapped and cannot do anymore, then I'd finish the set with knee pushups. Sometimes our muscles just need a brief break.

Keep up the progression and the challenge!

Ok that makes sense.. do as many no knees regular push ups as i can per set, then finish it off with knee push ups or the negatives.. I forgot about the negative strategy.. I also do planks from the push up position working on getting better there also, I can hold it for about 40-50 seconds.. im pretty sure 1 minute was the bench mark to try to get to.

• Like 1

I'd go with 3-5 sets of 2-3 full pushups with long rest periods as the main movement. Then supplement with high ring pushups to 1) develop sability, 2) develop your plank, and 3) be able to play with the rings. Finish off with some Hardstyle Planks. You have an amazing opportunity to develop straight raw strength here.

On 12/19/2018 at 8:40 AM, Machete said:

I'd go with 3-5 sets of 2-3 full pushups with long rest periods as the main movement. Then supplement with high ring pushups to 1) develop sability, 2) develop your plank, and 3) be able to play with the rings. Finish off with some Hardstyle Planks. You have an amazing opportunity to develop straight raw strength here.

I am assuming negatives can be done from the rings? When I get home I'll try it.. Barely able to do full no knee push up on the ground probably a couple months away from being able to do them with rings. I wonder if holding push up plank position from the rings will feel more difficult than on the ground?

thank you for your advice guys.

18 hours ago, Rebel Dan said:

I am assuming negatives can be done from the rings? When I get home I'll try it.. Barely able to do full no knee push up on the ground probably a couple months away from being able to do them with rings. I wonder if holding push up plank position from the rings will feel more difficult than on the ground?

thank you for your advice guys.

Plank from the rings is are definitely more difficult. They require much more stability.

Remember that rings can be adjusted. I'd actually prefer hand-elevated push-ups over knee push-ups when developing the push-up itself as it's a better method of learning tension

Awesome, thanks for the video. I think I can manage the 45 degree angle ones for now. Kinda banged up my knee a bit so laying off the lower body stuff for a week or two. I want to take this opportunity to make some good progress on my push ups. Excited to try this on my rings!

• Like 1

Did some 45 degree angle rings push ups last night they felt great - they were shaking on me pretty good but, I think thats part of the magic getting stronger so they don't shake. I managed x3 set of 10ish. I am gonna mix this work out in with my other staples that im doing.... Im not super hard core still working on adding things to my workouts as I get stronger. Time is also a factor with the walk I can usually get everything done in about 1.25-1.50 hours... so I need to figure out where to put the rings push ups, and I been meaning to get started on assisted dips with the rings too... maybe the solution is a 3 day rotation than a two day hmmmm..

Currently I strive for a every other day schedule where day 1...

6,000 steps,

push ups,

squats,

assisted ring pull ups over hand grip.

second day I do

6,000 steps,

planks from push up position,

lunges,

military press with dumbells - (super light weight I mostly just stretch with this between lunges, and planks)

assisted ring pull ups under hand grip

Cool. What a lot of people neglect about the rings is that it's like having a barbell--you can micro-load it by walking forward or backward (or lengthening/shortening the straps. They just don't have the specific number that the weight plates spell out to you, but to the body, load is load.

7 hours ago, Machete said:

Cool. What a lot of people neglect about the rings is that it's like having a barbell--you can micro-load it by walking forward or backward (or lengthening/shortening the straps. They just don't have the specific number that the weight plates spell out to you, but to the body, load is load.

Im loving the rings. Im an overweight dude still, and there is a bout 8 different things I can do on the rings that feel amazing. I can feel myself getting stronger as time goes on. Recently my my most recent success was during  assisted pull ups, I could actually feel the muscles in my back flexing... I have never felt that before. Pretty awesome.

• Like 1