• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rurik Harrgath

Join the Holiday Watch and Save the Rebellion: Holiday Break 2018 mini-challenge

Welcome, one and all, to the Rebellion Mini-Challenge for the 2018 Winter Break!

P0HGLHY6BL0S1292290786656.jpg

Accepting all folks from any Guild who should wish to join us to celebrate the season through healthy living and frivolity!

Eat, drink, and be merry - but forsake not the goals you've labored on through the year!  Every year there is a short intermission between the last challenge of the year and the first of the new;  this ought to assist with that.  Bringing together the whole Rebellion regardless of Guild affiliation and your personal goals embodies the community aspect of the holiday season.  We hope you'll make new friends, find new sources of inspiration for the New Year, and summon (read: guilt trip and peer pressure) your forum friends into joining in!

Due to the frantic routine of the holidays, we're keeping this mini-challenge short and simple...

That means only three goals this time around, inspired in part by Steve's holiday blog post, Join the Holiday Watch and Defend the Realm.

Fitness Goal:  Even though far we may wander from home in pursuit of family, loved ones, and a warm hearth, we shall not forsake our hard-won progress this year.  Will you commit to your current workout schedule?  Try something new while away from your home gym?  Maybe even ease up on your mortal vessel and engage in some active recovery while enjoying the break.  What are your healthy activity and fitness plans for the holidays?  Commit to one fitness/workout goal.

Nutrition Goal:  Christmas and winter often bring with them the opportunity for gorging oneself on comfort food and all of those delicious seasonal favorites.  Maybe this looks like Intermittent Fasting the day leading up to a particularly magnificent Yuletide feast or executing a flawless day of macro tracking the day following - or even giving yourself a guilt-free pass to enjoy whatever treats you wish to for a time.  What is your strategy for dealing with the influx of unhealthy food over the winter break?  Pick your Nutrition goal here.

Lifestyle Goal:  The holidays are all about spending time with family while enjoying yourself.  Base this goal around how you intend to most enjoy the break (perhaps featuring a new activity like meditation on what the season means for you or some light-heated skating back on the home pond with old friends), and consider your preferred way of battling holiday stress.  Remember: be kind to your mental health!  This is your Lifestyle goal.

Santa_Claus_Rise_Of_The_Guardians.jpg

As always, this Winter Break mini-challenge is entirely optional.  We are only providing a source of motivation and accountability to help folks keep on track through the upcoming holiday gap between challenges.  Challenges as normal resume January 7th!  For our purposes here, you are encouraged to post your Holiday mini-challenge check-ins and goals discussion at this centralized thread, but I ask that you keep any further socializing or discussions of any other goals (if you are continuing to pursue your current challenge goals through the holidays, for example) confined to your Battle Logs or previous Challenge threads.

More important than anything else, enjoy your holiday break, members of the Rebellion, and I look forward to celebrating any denominational holidays you and yours participate in with you!  If you'll be taking an extended break from Nerd Fitness over the break, then I look forward to seeing you bright and fresh in 2019.  ;)

• Like 15

I'm in!

Fitness Goal: Fitness Christmas Feast in my Mouth! For the week of Christmas do any combination of three of the following: Walk 2 miles, Kettlebell Workout, NF Beginner Body Weight Workout, or Yoga

Nutrition Goal: Continue practicing Intuitive Eating. For Christmas Eve and Christmas, that means not beating myself up for enjoying myself, and knowing getting a little stuffed is not the end of the world. For the rest of the week, that means getting back to normal.

Lifestyle Goal: Practice self-care in the days after Christmas by finding a balance between doing nothing and doing ALL THE THINGS!

• Like 13

I'm in. This fits in with how I've been thinking about handling Christmas. 

Fitness Goal:

Part A) Take a run on Christmas Eve. I'm in a strange town and it's very easy for me to blow off my runs when I'm somewhere I'm unfamiliar with. I've already mapped out a route and programmed it onto my watch, it's just a case of executing the run. 

Part B) Head to the gym when I get home on the 26th and bench. 

Doing these two things essentially means that I stick with my training program over the Christmas period. 

Nutrition Goal:

Don't Eat all the things ;) Things here are pretty loose because I'm not going to beat myself up over the stuff I eat while I'm away. I'd like to be 'somewhat careful' with what I eat on the 23rd. Not going stupid with stuffing all the things in my mouth on the 24th (ask yourself if you are actually hungry) 

Back on plan by the 27th 

Lifestyle Goal: 

Read. I don't make nearly enough (any) time to read these days. I'm trying to remedy that. Over Christmas this'll have the added benefit of acting like introvert recharge time. 

• Like 10

I'm in. I'm already on a break from challenges for other reasons, so the timing of this is nearly perfect for me. :)

Fitness Goal

Do one intentional exercise-type physical activity every day. Grocery shopping or running after the zerglings nephews do not count as exercise. Walking the dog, lifting weights at home or at the gym, darebee workouts, all are examples of things that do count.

Nutrition Goal

Apply Intuitive Eating principles and attitude to all holiday meals and special holiday treats (like the many cookies in my house), by practicing Mindful Eating at every meal. Do not allow myself to feel guilty about eating any of the really tasty stuff (like the many cookies in my house). Do not allow myself to eat more or less of something, just because of the expectations of others.

Lifestyle Goal, a.k.a. Mental Health Goal

Practice Mindfulness when faced with the inevitable holiday stress of being surrounded by pushy extroverts who believe that socializing isn't' real unless it's loud and intrusively interactive. To make this a little bit easier for myself to do, I will build my Mindfulness Muscles by meditating at least once every day, either with the Headspace skill in Alexa, or with the Insight Timer app.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

I'm in. I'm already on a break from challenges for other reasons, so the timing of this is nearly perfect for me. :)

I was wondering where you were at!

Fitness Goal

Do one intentional exercise-type physical activity every day. Grocery shopping or running after the zerglings nephews do not count as exercise. Walking the dog, lifting weights at home or at the gym, darebee workouts, all are examples of things that do count.

Love.

Nutrition Goal

Apply Intuitive Eating principles and attitude to all holiday meals and special holiday treats (like the many cookies in my house), by practicing Mindful Eating at every meal. Do not allow myself to feel guilty about eating any of the really tasty stuff (like the many cookies in my house). Do not allow myself to eat more or less of something, just because of the expectations of others.

Love!

Lifestyle Goal, a.k.a. Mental Health Goal

Practice Mindfulness when faced with the inevitable holiday stress of being surrounded by pushy extroverts who believe that socializing isn't' real unless it's loud and intrusively interactive. To make this a little bit easier for myself to do, I will build my Mindfulness Muscles by meditating at least once every day, either with the Headspace skill in Alexa, or with the Insight Timer app.

LOVE!!

I legitimately am going to just copy what you’re doing - with the callout that for me, exercise will be either Pilates or playing with parallettes and must be followed by some stretching / lax balling at some point in the day.

• Like 7

Here for thisssss!

Fitness - Do the squatmas challenge!

Nutrition - Don't drink 4/7 days of the week of Christmas.  I've got CNF nerds staying with me for the weekend of new years eve so I know my liver is going to be SAD SAD SAD when they leave. So for the beginning of the week of Christmas I'm going to try to not indulge.

Lifestyle - Finish the two books I am in the middle of before the new year!

YAY! Happy holidays all :)

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I was wondering where you were at!

Offline, mainly. It's a long story that soon will be over. :)

And by all means feel free to copy my challenge ideas. IT will help me hold myself accountable if someone else is doing the same challenge with me.

• Like 4

Fitness Goal:  Get some exercise 4 days/week.  This will mostly be BW work and walks around the neighborhood.

Nutrition Goal:  Practice Intuitive Eating principals.  This is hard to quantify, because there are no rules in IE, only principles.  I think I'll count this as a win if I don't go off on any mindless binges.  Yeah, that sounds okay.

Lifestyle Goal:  I'm going to be working on refinishing a desk during the break.  I'd really like to get it done by the end of the year, but I don't know if that's realistic or not.  I'll say it's a win if I work on it at least 4 days each week. 

giphy.gif

• Like 7

The challenge creator should probably take part...

These goals won't deviate much from my current challenge format; I'm basically reinforcing my current principles to buffer my resolve through the holidays!

Fitness Goal:  Take part in the 12 Days of CrossFit Christmas workout on the 24th (as my gym is closed the 25th and 26th) and return to my regularly scheduled programming on the 27th and through the weekend to attain my full for the week.

Nutrition Goal:  Intermittent Fasting the morning/afternoon leading up to family Christmas dinner on the 23rd.  Minimize dainties and snacks whenever possible at work, and track them as accurately as possible to maintain my macros.

Lifestyle Goal:  Embrace my fragile extroverted Introversion through social contact this weekend, one or two lunches before work next week, and onward.

• Like 7

I'm in for this.

Fitness Goal: Participate in both Squatmas and the Santa Slay Sleigh 5K

Nutrition Goal: Cook a Christmas Dinner (not as much as Thanksgiving, but still something special)

Lifestyle Goal:  Learn 2 new Christmas songs on the ukulele over the week

• Like 5

Love this, thank you!

Fitness Goal:  Aim for 4 workouts/week, accept a minimum of 3. When the gym is open, Nia Shanks 3x3 workout as scheduled. When gym is closed, bodyweight or home-equipment workout that comprises push, pull, legs, and HIIT finisher.

Nutrition Goal:  It's the most chocolate-y time of the year, and I'm trying to take it a little easy on myself, so I'm limiting this to "eat at least a serving of vegetables every day."

Lifestyle Goal:  Headspace meditation, 10 min/day.

• Like 7

As "last rehearsal" before next year and the next challenge:

Fitness Goal:  Stretch forearm/shoulder everyday twice, finger trainer also 2x/day. 3 workouts a week (e.g. bouldering, running, yoga, bodyweight,...)

Nutrition Goal:  Try to get "better" with IE. So: Eat when hungry and especially: stop when full!

Lifestyle Goal:  Digital Detox. Not in mins/hrs a day but cut down social media and chats. Instead: More reading/drawing/gaming etc.

• Like 5

Even though my posting may be sporadic, I still need to have a plan!

Fitness: Do some sort of intentional exercise 3 x / week. Aim for 1 run, 1 swim, and 1 lifting day, but do what feels good.

Nutrition: Honor my hunger. Enjoy the food I don't usually eat, but not to a point of discomfort. Get through the holidays without a flareup.

Lifestyle: Disconnect. Finish a puzzle (or two or three). Use this time for the mental break I need it to be. 

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Nutrition: Honor my hunger. Enjoy the food I don't usually eat, but not to a point of discomfort.

I love this goal. I was trying to think how I would  formulate a nutrition goals, and this nails it.:smile-new: 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This is the perfect mini to get me in the spirit to start my next challenge.  

1. Fitness.  Do something towards my physical health every day.  Doesn't have to be fancy.  Maybe just doing 50 squats or taking a 20 minute walk.  Something extra each day will motivate me and keep my focus.

2.  Nutrition.  Focus on portions.  I am in control of what I put (shovel) in to my mouth.  I will take a picture of my dinner plate nightly and post.

3. Lifestyle.  I will do some sort of act of kindness daily.  It could be a simple as making sure I thank a co worker or smile at a stranger in the grocery store who looks grumpy.  It just needs to make someone feel good.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, T2sarahconnor said:

3. Lifestyle.  I will do some sort of act of kindness daily.  It could be a simple as making sure I thank a co worker or smile at a stranger in the grocery store who looks grumpy.  It just needs to make someone feel good.

I am stealing this one for a future challenge, because this looks like it would be very good for one's own mental health. Also because I am bad at random kindness.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I am stealing this one for a future challenge, because this looks like it would be very good for one's own mental health. Also because I am bad at random kindness.

It really does make me feel good, but hopefully others too!

• Like 2

Pick me! Pick me!

i need some accountability.

Fitness Goal: stretches! I am so stiff from hours at a desk. I’ve never been able to touch my toes but now I feel stiff tying my shoes!

i need some ideas though. I enjoy yoga. I find the worst part about trying to get fit is muscle aches after. Advice on that?

nutrition goal: drink 48 oz of water a day. Probably not nearly enough, but baby steps right?

lifestyle goad: read more. I used to read all the time... what happened?

• Like 3

giphy.gif 

Fitness Goal: Continue working on Darebee workouts, including the Daily Dare and getting started with Hero's Journey; also continue running routine (at least five days/week).

Nutrition Goal: Mindful eating and intermittent fasting to control binging; portion control, and choosing more vegetables and lean meats over heavy carbs (in other words, more green beans and less macaroni salad). One dessert only.

Lifestyle Goal: Spend time with wife and kids. Read/listen to a few great books. Spend some time in nature.

Santa-before-after.jpg

• Like 7

Fitness Goal:  Complete the Squatmas and Santa Sleigh 5K events and do not make that the only thing I do during break.

Nutrition Goal:  Be mindful of what I am eating.  I am going to need to make changes to my eating beginning next year, time to begin the mindset changes now.  I will not restrict myself from enjoying the good food, but I will be mindful about how much of what I am consuming.

Lifestyle Goal:  I think for this I am going to make sure I take the time to enjoy a few classic holiday movies I have not seen yet this year.  Not in the background while I am doing something else, but just sit and enjoy them.

• Like 4

I'm in! And glad for it!

Fitness Goal: maintain my strength training goal of 3-4x during the week, and get 30 min cardio daily.

Nutrition Goal: Holiday meals and celebrations will happen throughout the week. That meal is that meal. Don't go crazy eating or not eating, but no two bad meals in a row.

Lifestyle Goal:  I am a better human being when I take time to meditate. Take time to meditate daily.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

I'm in! I need something to keep me on track through the last of the silly season.

Fitness Goal: Do just one thing to keep moving every day. Workout, walk, 5K Sleigh, yoga. Never miss a day even if I can only afford 5 minutes, make those 5 minutes count!

Nutrition Goal: One healthy meal a day (continuing on from my last challenge). It's too easy to fall over with so much yummy food in the house, I will be strong and make sure at least one meal a day is completely healthy.

Lifestyle Goal: Spend Christmas Day and the 29th/30th WITH my family. Not in the same room reading my book, or on the laptop while they run around me. Spend quality time with the husband and kids who have seen so little of me in the lead up to Christmas and who won't properly see me until after the New Year. I'm thinking a trip to the park or beach sounds great :D

christmas-yoga.png.79ec1580119c3dd205b7dcf14db168fb.png

• Like 4

Count me in! I'd planned something similar over the break anyway :) 

Fitness Goal: Squatmas, 5k sleigh, work up to interval running three times a week and strength training twice a week

Nutrition Goal: Continue to not eat like an ass...I'm entirely too good at baking to think I'm going to be 100% compliant, but don't go overboard with it. Allow a bit of indulging until Thursday the 27th.

Lifestyle Goal: This time of year is tough on me,  my goal is not to bail on people that care about me and remember not to take it all personally.

anx.jpg?w=736&ssl=1

• Like 7

Trying to plan a little bit for the physical part of the challenge by looking up gym hours. They are closed on Christmas Day, as expected, but are open for non-class workouts on the 24th, closing mid-afternoon. So that is my little mini-challenge inside this mini-challenge: Go to the gym on Christmas Eve! I will play with barbells. :) 

• Like 5

OK, I'm in. Although as usual I'm unlikely to post very regularly.

Fitness Goal: My gym is closed until after the first of the year, so my usual workout before work won't be happening. I"ll go for a long walk every day that I'm not working, and take advantage of the extra days off to do 2 extra PT sessions (one on Christmas, one on New Year's Day), 3 per week instead of my usual 2.

Nutrition Goal: I haven't been keeping up with my tracking, and it does make me more aware of what I'm eating. I'll enter my food in the LoseIt app by the end of every day.

Lifestyle Goal: I've really been struggling with my meditation goal, even though life is pretty stressful and I probably need it now more than ever.  Now while there's less time pressure will be a good time to work on rebuilding the habit. I will meditate 10 minutes every day with the Calm app.

• Like 4