Fun ways to eat vegetables? (Is there such a thing?)

Hello fellow nerds,

My name is Isaac Brewster and I am thinking about trying the paleo diet. (Or some of it, as I like peanuts and beans). I think the hardest part of it will be transitioning to eating more vegetables. I don't know of any particularly tasty recipes for vegetables. (Hopefully not all vegetable based dishes though) I particularly want a recipe for a spicy sweet potato fry, but any other tasty recipes would be appreciated. 

Lately, I roast most vegetables. It's simple, easy to clean up and tastes good with anything. Simple recipe: garlic, salt & pepper (mixed to your flavor preference), olive or coconut oil (butter works too), vegetable of choice (asparagus, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, etc), mix them all together and lay them out on foil or parchment paper lined baking pan. Cook in oven at 375 until tender but not mushy (10 - 15 minutes depending on the veggie your using i.e. less for asparagus, more for Brussels sprouts, broccoli in the middle-ish). And your done. Lining the pan makes clean up easy.

After that, you can add or remove things as you like. For instance, remove the garlic and add lemon juice or balsamic vinegar. You could dice up 3 strips of bacon and cook them with the veggies. You could sprinkle with Parmesan cheese depending on how strict of a Paleo disciple you want to be. But, it all starts with the same basic premise.

• Like 1

Low temperature pan fried (with a lid) with olive oil, here. As jstanlick, most of my fun comes from herbs and spices. Curry, chives, parsley, onions, garlic, paprika, cayenne and fresh chilly peppers are my stapples. As for the veggies themselves, I love cauliflowers, broccolis, carrots, brussels sprouts, fennels, parsnips... You may try a bit of everything until you find the ones you really love.

A personal favourite (which I eat very seldom, which is also why it stays a favourite) are grilled eggplants and peppers with olive oil, italian style. Crunchy on the outside, soft in the inside... I really do like it.

Other ways to eat them that I like are crude veggies salads (with olive oil, a drop of vinegar and some feta cheese), or a variation of greek salad or dips (with some herbs and yogurt sauce, guaccamole or hummus).

If you don't like your veggies looking like veggies and like shepherd's pies, you may like Moussaka too. Greeks are awesome, as are some other mediterranean cookings. I'd try a good restaurant that does them right to get a feel of how it tastes when cooked perfectly and then jump on a few recipes to improve myself on. If you ever have an occasion to travel to Greece, you may grow a love for fresh veggies while diving into awesome mythology, terrific climate and just plain old peace of mind (if you don't push yourself too much to do too many things and allow yourself time to slack). The travel itself is costly but the experience is well worth the price if it can get you to love fresh veggies salads. :)

• Like 1