• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Daryl of Barbaria

Daryl of Barbaria - Late to the game...oh well...

I figure it's better to get some progress out of this deal, even if only a small amount, rather than strive only for perfection. So with less than a week to go of this challenge, I'm going to make the best of it.

1. Go for a walk/ ruck 4x/ week. Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun.

2. Daily qigong/ meditation practice.

And that's all there is to it. I may mix some tomahawk throwing in there if I can manage it, but my throwing arm is a bit sore as of late.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Daryl of Barbaria said:

And for the record, I did my ruck (w/ a 30 lb pack) and my qigong for today already. This was my first ruck in years. It feels good to take up the old pursuit.

Had no trouble with qigong, but I had to look up what a ruck was :lol:

• Haha 1

Today is not one of my scheduled workout days, but I still did a generous amount of activity after work. It was more to relieve anxiety and stress, than any deliberate effort to stay active and healthy. The state of the world, my world, and the world at large, has me pretty wound up with the holidays approaching. My family and I have suffered some pretty egregious losses these past few years. The most recent, and most significant, my father, passed at the end of this last summer. The extended family is having our "big Christmas" tomorrow. While I look forward to it, I'm also afraid of what it may bring up. Somehow I always manage, and manage appropriately, with these things. But I'm more afraid this time than I have been in the past. There's just so much wrong in the world right now.

And so, I keep training. My qigong, walks, martial arts, and other stuff. It helps. It helps me focus on me, for a moment. The martial arts practice is especially significant today. It is perhaps the one thing I've been doing the longest, as far as exercise goes. After messing around with some weapons practice (which I do NOT have significant experience with) to burn off the excess stress and anxiety, I blasted through one of my old karate katas. Jion. Just one time. And I was immediately reminded of why I love performing kata so much. For that brief, 1 - 2 minute span, nothing else outside of me existed. I was completely present. Everything working in harmony. Body, mind, and whatever one prefers to call the third thing. I only performed it once. I only needed to perform it once. I was whole again.

I really must get back into making that a routine again. It doesn't necessarily have to be karate. I can get that same feeling from a number of other things as well. Archery is a good one for that. And I feel I am approaching the feeling with tomahawk throwing as well. I guess karate just holds a special place with me, since it's the one practice I have done the longest, and the first practice where I experienced that feeling of being completely present.

There's a lot of history there, between Shotokan karate and me. Good and bad, but mostly good. While I am not sure I am up to a return to full-time membership at a dojo, perhaps it is time to make it routine again. My backyard is as good a dojo as any.

• Like 2

So the "big Christmas" (the one with all the extended family) went well. It went very well, actually. As one would expect, it's nice to have everyone together with good food and drink, fun and games, and even a little token snow outside.

I still got my walk in (sorry, not a ruck...or maybe we can call it an unencumbered ruck), with a little karate kata on the side (Jion again, I'm living that kata). And finished off with my qigong practice. It's all part of a very modest challenge, especially since I came on board only for the last week, but a worthwhile endeavor nonetheless. I'm glad I made the effort to pop in and see what the Adventurer guild is about.

• Like 1

Well now, I suppose this is it, the final day of the challenge. I guess this should come as no surprise, since I only hopped into the game for the final week.

I managed to do what I set out to do. Had another decent walk today, qigong, and again worked in a little backyard karate practice. Karate may have to become a thing for my next challenge.

• Like 1

I know the challenge is over, but I am still plugging away here. I missed one day of qigong (yesterday) but have picked up right where I left off today. I still managed a short walk (to the library and back) despite the 0 degree weather outside. It's good to get out and persevere under the elements.

• Like 1