In October of 2017, I turned 40 and I wasn't happy. I was over 300 pounds and leading a lifestyle that would surely end prematurely. I was diagnosed prediabetic at my last check-up and was told that I had shortened my life expectancy because of the lifestyle I was leading. So, in January of 2018, I set a goal to make 2018 the #YearOfBrian. I was committed to getting healthy.

In February, I joined a meal delivery program for men and got a gym membership. In 5 months, I lost 50 pounds. I was feeling good but I was getting tired of eating the same processed, frozen food day in and day out. I knew there had to be a better way to lose the last 50 pounds. I began researching and came across the paleo diet and nerd fitness. I got to level 5 in 2 months and then August came. I work in higher education and August is the start of the grueling preparations for the upcoming school year. 

Fast forward to December 2018, I am now 41, and I did not achieve the goal that I set in December 2017. I did not follow the academy like I originally wanted. Life happened. I fell back in to old habits. My nutrition was non-existent. I was making excuses for not going to the gym. The stress of work and life were taking a toll on me and I reverted back to what I always did to manage stress; I turned to food for comfort.

Not all was lost, however. In the year, I did manage to lose and keep off 30 pounds. I have been meeting with a chiropractor for the last 6 months. I never had my spine looked at after my car accident. In June, I saw an advertisement, on Facebook, of all places, for a local chiropractor who would do x-rays, an evaluation, and set up a treatment plan all for an initial visit fee of $25. I did it and learned my spine has severe subluxations and I had a pinched nerve in my lumbar region. After 35 visits, I can feel and see the results.

Time to respawn!! I have reset all my quests in the Academy, changed my class to Rebel (from Warrior), and my new big why is, "To live a healthier life past 40." I am not going to focus on pounds lost or gained but how I feel and what I can learn in the academy and elsewhere.
  • Like 3

Level 10 Rebel

Character  Instagram  Current fitness routine 4 week challenge log FitBit User profile

“If it doesn’t challenge you it doesn’t change you.” Fred Devito

“Challenge yourself everyday to do better and be better. Remember, growth starts with a decision to move beyond your present circumstances.” Robert Tew

Seems like you have your mindset pretty covered. Go for it, you've got this!

• Thanks 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

I realized today that I was going to start my respawn the same way I went through the academy the first time, picking and choosing the modules that I thought I needed to do. I was going to skip over the mindset modules because I figured my mindset is still the same, which was good. However, my mindset failed me because I didn’t stick with the academy the first time. I’m counting this as my first respawn win!

• Like 1

Level 10 Rebel

Character  Instagram  Current fitness routine 4 week challenge log FitBit User profile

“Challenge yourself everyday to do better and be better. Remember, growth starts with a decision to move beyond your present circumstances.” Robert Tew

My respawn Big Why:

I am doing Nerd Fitness because I was diagnosed as prediabetic 2 years ago and I want to be healthy enough to live a long to be married for 30 years, I’m currently single, see my kids, of which I have none now, grow up, and have better self-esteem and self-worth.

• Like 2

Level 10 Rebel

I am participating in my first 4 week challenge!! This is something new with this respawn.

• Like 1

Level 10 Rebel

First 4 week challenge grade - F!!

Doing my second 4 week challenge this month. Currently in the second week. Going better than the last challenge, for sure.

Level 10 Rebel

With this week's weigh-in, I'm almost at the weight I was this summer before falling off the program. Today, I weighed 255.2. My lowest weight, after 6 months of NF, was 250. I've lost 29 pounds since respawning on January 12.

Level 10 Rebel