A Druid's Battle Log

On 1/14/2019 at 11:01 PM, Jupiter said:

I was a little worried I wouldn't like what I made, but everything tasted really good.

So proud of you! That feeling of "will this be good?" will always be there, but it gets less worrying with time. You may find that taking food as an experiment and using it to test your creativity for "how can I make this even MORE delicious?" helps it be less intimidating. As for the rest, you'll figure out what (if any) adjustments you need to make; but look at you, walking even when your coworker is gone and doing what you can with what you have :D I'm super proud of and excited for you! :D

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Kishi said:

That batch cooking looks amazing!

If you're looking to batch cook more, rice can be a fantastic little staple/bed for things. You can do white or brown depending on whether your body likes gluten or not. I absolutely do recommend it; if you sweeten it with some stevia and then refrigerate it it can come out sweet enough to be a desert. :'D

Thanks!! :) 

Oh that's a really good idea. I'll have to try it. :) 

11 hours ago, Kharissandra said:

So proud of you! That feeling of "will this be good?" will always be there, but it gets less worrying with time. You may find that taking food as an experiment and using it to test your creativity for "how can I make this even MORE delicious?" helps it be less intimidating. As for the rest, you'll figure out what (if any) adjustments you need to make; but look at you, walking even when your coworker is gone and doing what you can with what you have :D I'm super proud of and excited for you! :D

Thank you!! :) I really appreciate all your support. :) 

Yesterday:

Fitness:

- Walked around 5100 steps. I wanted to do yoga too but I didn't quite make it. Hopefully today.

Nutrition: 

- Ate my leftovers and a few snacks. I think I'm getting addicted to these pop-tart bites because I've been eating 2 packages at a time. Probably a good thing I ran out yesterday LOL. Calorie intake was around 1300, maybe a little over.

Intellectual:

- I got a little too caught up with reading so I didn't do anything else. The book, "My Life Among the Underdogs" by Tia Torres (from Pitbulls and Parolees) finally came in at the library and I couldn't stop reading it. I'll have to try to make up the time today for revisions. I'm really trying not to procrastinate on finishing this short story. I'm getting down to the final rounds, which tends to make me extra critical and less confident about my writing abilities, which of course makes me want to avoid the story like the plague. I keep thinking, "What if nobody likes it?" and "No one will want to publish this, it's crap," but I know I just need to ignore those negative thoughts and finish the work.

• Like 3

Fitness:

- Walked around 5061 steps. My foot is really hurting today for some reason though, so I may skip the walk tomorrow and rest a bit.

- Yoga 20 minutes. 

Nutrition: 

- Bought something from the food truck for lunch. Today was Dutch-Indonesian food (really, chicken skewers and steamed rice, not the best, but decent). Had the last of my leftovers for dinner. My batch cooking lasted 4 days. Not bad. 

Intellectual:

- Revised for maybe half an hour. It was a fight the whole time, but I managed to fix the first page and I think it flows much smoother now than it did before. Hopefully edits will be a little easier from here on out. 

• Like 2

Today was a super stressful work day and I ended up working late, so pretty much everything I'd planned fell by the wayside. Didn't do yoga, ate a frozen meal (after barely eating anything all day), and otherwise didn't get much done. I didn't want today to be a total loss, though, so I walked around 1000 steps and revised/edited my short story for about an hour and got through 4 pages. 

Gotta admit, it's getting harder and harder to work 10 to 12 hours a day, especially without any breaks. It hasn't been too bad the last few months because we've been kind of slower (except for today, which was nuts), but it'll pick back up again soon and then the real insanity will start. I feel like I should be able to handle it (along with everything else), and I'm just being lazy, but it's just so exhausting. 

Anyway, I'm considering trying indoor rock climbing (if time permits). I'm kind of terrified but excited too. It's definitely outside my comfort zone, hence why I want to try it. I'm still researching it, though, so we'll see.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I feel like I should be able to handle it (along with everything else), and I'm just being lazy, but it's just so exhausting. 

You wouldn't expect your car to still run when there's no more gas in the tank. I like to think of us as having two tanks: one physical and one mental. Each can get depleted and when it happens, we don't run anymore. Just like a car. Just like a phone when the battery is depleted. You are asking a lot of yourself, here, the no break part is especially hard. This isn't about being kind to yourself, or to "man up and do the thing", or being lazy, this is about putting gas in your tank, plugging the power cord in and letting the battery charge. It's a laws of physics kind of thing, it'll be there whether we think we can overpower it or not.

This is especially important if you think the real insanity will start again soon: you should be bracing yourself for it and tackling it with a full charge. Now should be the time to rest and regenerate a bit because then won't allow it. Please, take care.

4 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Anyway, I'm considering trying indoor rock climbing (if time permits).

Time seems to never permit it yet, active activities that we do fully for ourselves and allow ourselves to empty our mind of our daily concerns are a necessity to be efficient the rest of the time when things become stressful. I'd say, plan for it, make time for it and don't let other things take priority on it (easy to say, hard to do, I should know...). See it as cleaning your computer of unused processes... you can skip it once in a while but it's using resources and building a habit of cleaning them allows for the machine to run much, much smoother the rest of the time.

Also, being efficient at work but taking active effort to still take care of yourself and making sure you stay work ready by charging your batteries every day is an excellent example to set. You want people around you to really be at what they do when they're here to do it, and you want them to be efficient. They need to be well rested and devoid of outer considerations in their mind. Being realistic and working within the laws of physics instead of ignoring them, thinking our mind can keep them at bay for long, helps efficiency tremendously. [Edited: this probably doesn't apply to you. paragraph continued ->] ... usually looked upon as a positive thing by both pairs and hierarchy. People able to manage themselves well enough to be efficient when they're there and reach the targets they agree to while also being able to say no are precious and have a very positive impact on the work environment.

So, keep being motivated, keep giving it your all but also take care of yourself. This is an investment, it will pay tenfolds the time you put in it.

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

Hello.  Just popping in.  I am admiring your intellectual goals.  I often feel like my reading distracts me from my other goals...but it is good to see reading as valued and important!

• Like 1

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Old Challenges: #1(2015) * #2 * #3(push ups) * #4 * #5(food) * #6 * #7(2016)* #8(nerdiversary) * #9 * 10(animal) * Battle Log * 11(2017) * 12(garden) * 13 * 14(biking) * 15 * 16  * 17  * 18 * 19(2018) * 20(2019) * 21

19 hours ago, Jean said:

You wouldn't expect your car to still run when there's no more gas in the tank. I like to think of us as having two tanks: one physical and one mental. Each can get depleted and when it happens, we don't run anymore. Just like a car. Just like a phone when the battery is depleted. You are asking a lot of yourself, here, the no break part is especially hard. This isn't about being kind to yourself, or to "man up and do the thing", or being lazy, this is about putting gas in your tank, plugging the power cord in and letting the battery charge. It's a laws of physics kind of thing, it'll be there whether we think we can overpower it or not.

This is especially important if you think the real insanity will start again soon: you should be bracing yourself for it and tackling it with a full charge. Now should be the time to rest and regenerate a bit because then won't allow it. Please, take care.

Yeah, that is very true, and thank you. I'm not very good about asking for help at work when I've hit my limit, unfortunately, and I know that's something I need to keep working on so I don't run myself ragged. 

20 hours ago, Jean said:

Time seems to never permit it yet, active activities that we do fully for ourselves and allow ourselves to empty our mind of our daily concerns are a necessity to be efficient the rest of the time when things become stressful. I'd say, plan for it, make time for it and don't let other things take priority on it (easy to say, hard to do, I should know...). See it as cleaning your computer of unused processes... you can skip it once in a while but it's using resources and building a habit of cleaning them allows for the machine to run much, much smoother the rest of the time.

Also, being efficient at work but taking active effort to still take care of yourself and making sure you stay work ready by charging your batteries every day is an excellent example to set. You want people around you to really be at what they do when they're here to do it, and you want them to be efficient. They need to be well rested and devoid of outer considerations in their mind. Being realistic and working within the laws of physics instead of ignoring them, thinking our mind can keep them at bay for long, helps efficiency tremendously. [Edited: this probably doesn't apply to you. paragraph continued ->] ... usually looked upon as a positive thing by both pairs and hierarchy. People able to manage themselves well enough to be efficient when they're there and reach the targets they agree to while also being able to say no are precious and have a very positive impact on the work environment.

So, keep being motivated, keep giving it your all but also take care of yourself. This is an investment, it will pay tenfolds the time you put in it.

Thanks, I'll do my best. :) 

12 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Definitely relate to having those days. Rock climbing sounds like a great idea! I had a job last year that required similar hours and having an exercise option that was fun and challenging made me more likely to go and made it feel more like unwind time than exercise. Best of luck!

Thank you! :) 

9 hours ago, suzyQlou said:

Hello.  Just popping in.  I am admiring your intellectual goals.  I often feel like my reading distracts me from my other goals...but it is good to see reading as valued and important!

Thanks! :) I love to read, but I haven't read as much in a while because I've been so busy and also because of that same thought, that I don't want to be distracted from all my other goals. But like you said, it's important, and it also helps me be a better writer, so I'm trying to make it more of a priority this year. Thanks for stopping by! :) 

• Like 1

Fitness:

- Walked 4092 steps, mostly from running errands, basic running around, and doing chores.

- Yoga 20 minutes. 

Nutrition: 

- I just had fast food since I was out and about. Calorie intake was around 1400. Weight is still stubbornly 140. I'm also still trying to figure out what to cook for tomorrow, but I haven't decided yet. I'm craving Italian but we'll see. 

Intellectual:

- No revisions today from all the running around but I'm hoping to make that up tomorrow. 

- Read for over an hour today. Books are due back at the library soon (again) so I need to finish whatever I can before then. I should probably stop getting books at the library and start reading the huge pile I still have at home. 

• Like 4

Fitness:

- Walked 4600 steps.

Nutrition: 

- Only cooked frozen meals today. I got a little too caught up with cleaning and organizing stuff today. I'll have extra time to cook something tomorrow though since I have it off. 

Intellectual:

- Revised for an hour and I have 5 pages left. I feel like I need to go back over everything again, but that's just the perfectionist side at work. I can nitpick at this thing forever. At some point I have to call it done and take a chance. So, almost done. 

- Read for probably an hour and finished Tia Torres' book. First book finished for the year, 49 more to go to reach my goal. 

• Like 3

Fitness:

- Walked only 1311 steps. Ended up being super busy today. 

- Yoga 20 minutes.

Nutrition: 

- Ate frozen meals so I could focus on cooking for the rest of the week. I almost didn't do it because I was super tired, but I made chicken and (fake) mashed potatoes, and pork in mushroom sauce (really, mushroom soup) and glazed carrots. The pork took a little longer to cook than I expected so I didn't get as much done as I wanted. But I cooked a ton, so I'll call that a win. 

Intellectual:

- Revised for around 3 hours, maybe a little more, and I'm finally done with this short story. I'm sure I could nitpick some more, but I don't know what else to do for it at this point, so it's done and sent off to some friends for their opinions. 

• Like 4
8 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Way to go on cooking while tired! It can be such a pain but so worth it. Kudos on sticking to it!

Thanks! :) 

Yesterday:

Fitness:

- Walked a little over 6000 steps.

- Yoga 20 minutes.

Nutrition: 

- Ate the leftovers I made the other day, and unfortunately a bunch of unhealthy snacks, including French fries from the food truck (they smelled so good I couldn't resist). Need to try to watch that today.

Intellectual:

- Read a book, Paper and Fire by Rachel Caine,  in celebration of finishing my short story. I was too impatient/excited to really sit down and read it so I ended up skimming the whole thing. It was really good though.

I think I may need to add another goal, and that's to clean my house. I've been neglecting it lately with everything else going on and I need to make that into routine again.

• Like 2

Fitness:

- Walked 7766 steps. I got in way more steps than I expected. I thought I'd be more worn out from walking that many steps throughout the day (maybe that'll happen tomorrow) but honestly I don't feel too bad.

Nutrition: 

- Ate my leftovers again. Unfortunately I still ate way too many snacks also. My stomach feels like a bottomless pit. I just can't stop eating this week. 

Intellectual:

- Reading the third book in Rachel Caine's YA series, called Ash and Quill. It was available at the library and I grabbed it fast (it's just as good as the one before). I'll finish this book and then I think I'm going back to revising my novel. I'd hit a mental block on it a month or so back and I needed a break and did other things instead. I've been thinking about it more and more lately, though, so I know it's time to get back to it. I still have more than half the novel to revise and I want the whole thing done this year. I also need to start plotting out another story and start writing again, not just revising, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. 

• Like 3

Yesterday and today:

Fitness:

- Walked around 7400 steps yesterday, and did no exercise at all today. I just needed a break from everything. I plan on doing a little extra tomorrow to make up for it.  

Nutrition: 

- Ate my leftovers yesterday and then ran out for today so I had frozen meals. I need to pick out new recipes for the weekend but that might not happen until tomorrow.

Intellectual:

- Read my book over the last two days, still trying to finish it. Tomorrow, though, it's back to work.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Kishi said:

Writing is a hard balancing act. I've never really understood how to balance between generating new stuff and reworking old stuff. Have you found a way to balance all that?

Mostly no, LOL. I start out okay with working on 2 projects at the same time, revising one and writing another, but at some point I get too focused on one over the other and I end up setting one of them aside to finish the first before I go back to the second. So I haven't really figured out that balance quite yet.

• Like 1

Fitness:

- Walked 10,024 steps. I didn't expect to get in that many LOL, I'm kind of floored right now. I wanted to do yoga today too but after 10k steps I was pretty tired. 

Nutrition: 

- I was out and about running errands so I ate fast food. I've picked out a few new recipes though and I've gotten my grocery list pretty much ready to go for grocery shopping tomorrow.

Intellectual:

- No revisions today but I did listen to an audio book while I walked. I got "Renegades" again from the library so I'm hoping to finish it before it goes back this time. I'm afraid to finish "Ash and Quill" because I know the ending is going to be heart-wrenching so I did some sketching instead. Aiming to go to bed early tonight so I can hopefully get up early and get some extra revisions done since I didn't do it today.  

• Like 1

I was exhausted today, so I didn't do much. I didn't want it to be a total loss though so I managed to walk a little over 4000 steps, do 20 minutes of yoga, and cook some chicken and glazed carrots. 

• Like 1

Fitness:

- Still super tired, but managed to get in 4062 steps.

- Yoga 20 minutes.

Nutrition: 

- Ate my leftovers...still not doing too well with the snacks. I keep eating way more than I should. Calorie intake is 1622.

Intellectual:

- Revised my novel for about an hour and got through roughly 3 pages. It's not as bad as I thought.

• Like 3