A Druid's Battle Log

Yesterday:

Decided that yesterday should be a rest day since I was still so exhausted. I think maybe I'm trying to do too much too fast and that's why I've been so tired (and also I never seem to get enough sleep). I'm thinking of making a few slight adjustments. It's been a while so it's about time to tweak some of my current goals anyway.

• Like 3

Good call, knowing when to make some tweaks without completely dropping it is where sustainability lies. Also, sleep. Sleep is important (and yeah, I'm one to speak xD). Take care of yourself and have fun making those adjustments. :)

• Thanks 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

Well, hopefully it's just a matter of needing more sleep. Of course, you're going to feel some pushback, some pressure to get things done and the pressure to let sleep go by the wayside is very real. It's something you'll have to hold against at first, but you should find that as you get more rest it takes less work to get things done and everything should rebalance. If it doesn't, then consider cutting some things for now until you're in a better place to deal with them.

• Like 2

Yesterday:

Fitness:

- Walked a little over 4000 steps. I need to be more consistent with this. I've gone back over my posts, and my step count has been kind of all over the place, and I'm wondering if that's part of the reason I'm so tired. So I'm aiming for consistency for the rest of this week and into next week.  

Nutrition:

- Ate leftovers and frozen meals. I'm looking for recipes early this week so I can try to be a little more prepared. I've been finding recipes at the last minute again, which means I don't end up deciding what I actually want until I get to the store. So, something to fix this week. I think I've almost decided on what I want to make (I've been craving Italian like crazy the last few days). I don't know if I'll do batch cooking this weekend, but I do want to make 2 recipes, one for breakfast and one for lunch/dinner. I'm tired of sugary things for breakfast, but unfortunately those are usually the quickest and easiest. Something to think about.

Intellectual:

- Did nothing in this area yesterday. I was procrastinating again, but I won't fall victim to it today. I'm going to aim for 2 hours of revisions to make up for yesterday.

• Like 3

Fitness:

- Walked 4161 steps.

Nutrition:

- Eh, not so great, had frozen meals since I'm pretty much out of everything else. I'm aiming to have my recipe and grocery lists ready by tomorrow though, so at least I'll be better prepared this weekend.

Intellectual:

- Only revised for about an hour and got through a page. My eyes have been killing me all day, so I didn't do as much work as I was hoping, but at least I did the hour.

• Like 1

Way to track those steps! :) 4,000 isn't bad at all!

Those frozen meals are hard to stay away from especially when you just want to grab something and eat without having to invest too much into it. Homemade energy bars/balls are a great parachute-plan for that if you like that sort of thing. ;) 

Do your eyes hurt often? If so, has it been especially bad since winter began? If so, you might consider eye drops. Also, if you have to look at a screen a lot, I found that lowering the brightness of my screen low enough that it wasn't glaring but keeping it high enough that I didn't have to squint was a huge help!

Sounds like you're putting in great effort! <3 

• Like 1

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there’s something stronger – something better, pushing right back.

.  Albert Camus

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 10:31 AM, Jupiter said:

I'm tired of sugary things for breakfast, but unfortunately those are usually the quickest and easiest. Something to think about.

This might be something to batch cook your way around. If you hardboiled a dozen eggs, you'd have a bunch of quick and easy breakfasts. Or you could also do overnight oats or some kind of chia pudding - I'm not linking because there's dozens of recipes for both and I'd rather invite you to the concept than prescribe something. :)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Kishi said:

This might be something to batch cook your way around. If you hardboiled a dozen eggs, you'd have a bunch of quick and easy breakfasts. Or you could also do overnight oats or some kind of chia pudding - I'm not linking because there's dozens of recipes for both and I'd rather invite you to the concept than prescribe something. :)

Overnight oats are a staple of early morning shifts for me.  Oats, scoop of protein, bit of dried fruit & seeds, top up with milk/alternative of choice and it's ready for breakfast.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Dark_Mother said:

Way to track those steps! :) 4,000 isn't bad at all!

Those frozen meals are hard to stay away from especially when you just want to grab something and eat without having to invest too much into it. Homemade energy bars/balls are a great parachute-plan for that if you like that sort of thing. ;) 

Do your eyes hurt often? If so, has it been especially bad since winter began? If so, you might consider eye drops. Also, if you have to look at a screen a lot, I found that lowering the brightness of my screen low enough that it wasn't glaring but keeping it high enough that I didn't have to squint was a huge help!

Sounds like you're putting in great effort! <3  

Thanks!! :) 

No, my eyes are usually okay, but I've been working on a smaller screen than usual these last few days. I'm used to using much larger screens.

9 hours ago, Mikey Fitpants said:

Hi. What are your frozen meals? Are they from the shop or from when you cook a load of stuff yourself. Also, what yoga do you do? Do you follow a guided session or make up your own?

Are you studying for some exams?

It's nothing fancy, just TV dinner-type stuff. I like to have them on hand just in case. As for yoga, I use a DVD, just a basic beginner workout. One of these days I'll move up to doing harder stuff. No exams, either. :) I'm trying to be a writer. Right now I'm revising a few different projects.

9 hours ago, Kishi said:

That's a good idea, thanks! I'll have to do some research and see what I can find. :) 

9 hours ago, Rusk said:

Overnight oats are a staple of early morning shifts for me.  Oats, scoop of protein, bit of dried fruit & seeds, top up with milk/alternative of choice and it's ready for breakfast.

Nice, I may have to give that a try. Thanks. :) 

• Like 1

No exercise today and I ate frozen meals, but I've got my recipes picked out and my grocery list ready to go, so if nothing else, I'm prepared to cook this weekend. I also did some research and picked out a gym to try indoor rock climbing. I'm planning to go next weekend (unless I chicken out, which is a definite possibility). I also revised for an hour, and I have to admit, I don't hate this chapter. So I'd say today is a win.

• Like 3

Nice job! I understand how you feel about the gym. I'm pretty sure everybody feels like chickening out at every new gym they ever go to. The good news is, half the people there probably feel the same way you do! :D

Keep pushing. You got this!

• Like 1

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there’s something stronger – something better, pushing right back.

.  Albert Camus

On 2/2/2019 at 8:03 AM, Dark_Mother said:

Nice job! I understand how you feel about the gym. I'm pretty sure everybody feels like chickening out at every new gym they ever go to. The good news is, half the people there probably feel the same way you do! :D

Keep pushing. You got this!

Thank you! :) 

Yesterday:

Didn't do anything besides run errands (where I got in a little over 4600 steps), clean my house and read a book. Good news is I'm on track with my reading challenge. Also good news is that I think I've figured out a few tweaks to my routine that might work. 

Today:

Did a ton of stuff today.

Fitness:

- Yoga 20 minutes. 

Nutrition:

- Breakfast: strawberry pop tarts

- Lunch: mac and cheese and a chocolate chip cookie

- Dinner: scrambled eggs and some small Reeses cups

- I did some cooking for the week also: some hard boiled eggs and penne pasta in my instant pot (which didn't turn out too badly), and some chicken, with marinara sauce. 

Intellectual:

- No revisions yet but I still plan to get in at least 30 minutes before bed. 

- Just as a random thing, I downloaded a free chess app, and it's kind of addicting. I played a few games over the last two days and I'm already on level 2. I didn't really expect it to be fun, as I'm not really a huge game fan, but I like it. 

• Like 5

Ugh, productivity didn't happen yesterday like I wanted it to. I finally got caught up on sleep by the end of last week, only for me to be too wired to sleep well over the weekend and now it's backfiring on me. I walked around 4200 steps (would have been a little more but it started raining) but that was all I accomplished yesterday. I really need to kick my butt into gear today.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Ugh, productivity didn't happen yesterday like I wanted it to. I finally got caught up on sleep by the end of last week, only for me to be too wired to sleep well over the weekend and now it's backfiring on me. I walked around 4200 steps (would have been a little more but it started raining) but that was all I accomplished yesterday. I really need to kick my butt into gear today.

..... you can get caught up on sleep?  :O :O :O
Keep on trucking, Jupiter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Rusk said:

..... you can get caught up on sleep?  :O :O :O
Keep on trucking, Jupiter!

LOL very rarely...Thanks! :) 

Fitness:

- Walked 5205 steps. 

Nutrition:

- Breakfast: strawberry pop tarts (I had a few of the hard boiled eggs yesterday, and they were good, but they left an aftertaste so I'm not sure I'll make them again)

- Lunch: burrito bowl and mac salad from the food truck 

- Dinner: leftover pasta and some small Reeses cups

- Definitely not eating the healthiest this week. Need to come up with something a little better next week. 

Intellectual:

- Revised my novel for about an hour and got through 2 pages. 

• Like 3

Yesterday:

Fitness:

- It was freezing yesterday so I opted for 20 minutes of yoga instead. 

Nutrition:

- Breakfast: strawberry pop tarts and an apple

- Lunch: chicken and pasta with marinara sauce

- Dinner: pasta and some small Reese's cups (I really need to learn to avoid the candy isle at the store, Reese's are my weakness)

Intellectual:

- Revised my novel for only about half an hour and got through maybe a page, but I was really tired so I may have to go through it again tonight. Still, only 2 pages left in this chapter, so I'm making decent progress.

- I'm up to level 3 on the chess app, but I'm having trouble moving past it. 

• Like 2

Fitness:

- Semi-rest day. I only walked 2060 steps.  

Nutrition:

- Breakfast: a banana

- Lunch: a biscuit with potatoes covered in sausage gravy and bacon from the food truck. 

- Dinner: leftovers from lunch and and some small Reese's cups

- Good news is I found a few somewhat healthier recipes to try this weekend. Now I just need to figure out how to avoid the candy isle... 

Intellectual:

- Revised my novel for roughly an hour and finished the chapter. Now I just need to read through it this weekend and fix a few little details and then it's on to the next. 

• Like 2

Had a rough couple of days (work and life stress) and got a bit off track, but now I'm getting this train back in the right direction. Haven't been eating super well the last few days, but I made chicken and some frozen veggies for the next day or two. That's about all I managed, cooking wise. I had a breakfast recipe that I wanted to try but I couldn't find it for the life of me. I also tried indoor rock climbing yesterday. Not sure if I like it or not. It was a good workout (my upper body is SO sore) but I overextended and hurt something, so I'm not in a hurry to go back LOL. I also did a read through of my chapter. It's all right. I don't know if it's me or the chapter, but I can't keep my full attention on it (it's probably just me). It's decent enough for now. So I'm moving on. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

I’m right there with you, been a heck of a couple of days. All about how we get back up again right? :D

Yup, absolutely. :) 

Fitness:

- Between my walk at lunch with my coworker and an errand I had to run after work I walked 6019 steps. 

Nutrition:

- Breakfast: strawberry poptarts; mid-morning snack: Sargento's balanced break snacks

- Lunch: chicken with frozen veggies

- Dinner: grabbed a burger and fries while I was out

Intellectual:

- Revised my novel for about an hour and a half and got through 2 and a half pages. Doing a bit of rewriting/restructuring for this chapter. 

• Like 5

Fitness:

- Walked 5377 steps. 

Nutrition:

- Breakfast: strawberry poptarts

- Lunch: chicken philly pita and fries from the food truck and some chocolate my boss handed out to everyone for Valentine's day

- Dinner: I had such a huge lunch that I probably will only have a snack. 

Intellectual:

- Revised my novel for about an hour and got through maybe a page. Going a bit slow through this section to fine tune some plot points. 

• Like 3
On 2/10/2019 at 7:53 PM, Jupiter said:

I also tried indoor rock climbing yesterday. Not sure if I like it or not. It was a good workout (my upper body is SO sore) but I overextended and hurt something, so I'm not in a hurry to go back LOL.

Did you have fun before you got hurt? Maybe give it another go, and really warm up well beforehand and stretch after.  My husband and I just started indoor climbing and had some of the same initial problems but the last couple times were fine.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman