A Druid's Battle Log

54 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

I didn't do any work (not even writing) the last two days, and it was fantastic.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:25 PM, Kishi said:

Good rest is good. Glad to see you're back at it!

Thanks! :)

Whelp, it's officially back to the daily grind. Work is picking up fast again, as it usually does, and I'm heading into the last few weeks of my writing class. Everyone keeps asking what we're going to do after the class is over, and I've been hearing something about starting a writer's group, but we'll see what happens. I'm a little leery of writer's groups. The last one I was a part of was too large so I wasn't able to get through everyone's stuff in time for each meeting, and the members were all much older (we're talking, like, seventies), who wrote mostly memoirs and literature, and they were all pretty much doing it for fun. I stopped going after a while because I didn't feel like we were a good fit. But this one, I don't know. If they actually get it started, I might check it out. 

Anyway, I actually managed to cook some egg muffins over the weekend, which I've never made before. Tried them today and they aren't bad. Anyway, on to the stats:

Fitness:

- Walked 30 minutes. 

- Yoga 25 minutes. 

Nutrition:

- One healthy thing: well, two things, an egg muffin and an apple.  

Intellectual:

- Revised only maybe an hour. Found it a little hard to focus today, but I'm happy with what I have so far. I discovered this novel is going to end up being much longer than I had anticipated. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, publishing-wise. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Kishi said:

I've heard good things about egg muffins. They probably need to be eaten hot, so I'm not sure how well they keep, but as a more creative way to get eggs in, they're good stuff.

Yeah, they're not bad. I just stick them in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds and they're good to go. I'm hoping they last another day or two but we'll see how it goes. 

Fitness:

- Circuit training 20 minutes. 

- Yoga 15 minutes. 

Nutrition:

- One healthy thing: same thing as yesterday, egg muffin and an apple.  

Intellectual:

- Found an issue in this chapter I'm revising and fixed it. Now it's on to the next one. 

• Like 3

Small rant ahead, feel free to skip:

Spoiler

Well, another week is done. My boss is back on the "you can do more overtime" train at work. I think she's getting frustrated that I'm not doing more, especially compared to everyone else (as a frame of reference, overall I usually do close to 50 hours a week, which is about 10-ish hours less overtime than everyone else. Because of my class I'm doing a little less than my usual but once that's over it'll go back up. But otherwise, the rest of that time goes to my writing, which is another 15-ish hours of work or more throughout the week.). I feel pretty bad about it and I feel like I should be doing more to help out my teammates because I know they're running themselves ragged and we're getting busier every day. But at the same time, I'm sick and tired of always setting aside the things that are important to me (namely my writing and my health) because we're busy. And I feel like because I don't get paid for these things (especially the writing as of right now) and because they don't relate to the day job that I can't really justify taking the time to do them. Like I'm being lazy if I'm doing something unrelated to the day job. Because We're Busy(tm) and we need all hands on deck. But I mean, we're always busy, and if I waited until we were less busy, I would never do anything, and I don't want to do that either. So I guess I'm just frustrated about the whole thing. And I can't really tell my boss about it because I don't think she'd be all that understanding. So...yeah. 

Anyway, on to today's stats:

Fitness:

- Did a lot of extra workouts during the week so took a rest day today instead. 

Nutrition:

- Had 2 healthy things today: apple and grapes. So far except for yesterday I've had 2 to 3 healthy things all week this week. Pretty proud of myself. 

Intellectual:

- Found some plotting issues while working through this chapter that will affect things later, and I'm trying to figure out how to make the necessary changes while still making sense. Also wondering if I should pare the plot down a bit too. 

• Like 2

It's always healthy to rant sometimes because those unhealthy emotions can hurt you and others if they stay bottled up! I hope your health doesn't get too, too far off for a job that can replace you within days or weeks? Maybe that's not the case with your skill set or workplace but it is at a lot of places. I hope you find your peace in your support system soon. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Rubik'sCat said:

It's always healthy to rant sometimes because those unhealthy emotions can hurt you and others if they stay bottled up! I hope your health doesn't get too, too far off for a job that can replace you within days or weeks? Maybe that's not the case with your skill set or workplace but it is at a lot of places. I hope you find your peace in your support system soon. 

Spoiler

Thank you...I feel like I'm kind of being a drama queen complaining about this LOL. But mostly I meant health overall as in 'healthier habits', not necessarily declining physical health. Like just getting in some exercise every day and eating less take out, that type of thing. I mean, physically, I'm mostly fine (just some high cholesterol) but I have a family history of serious health issues so it's something I'd rather start addressing with healthier habits now instead of later in life. And as for the writing, well, I consider that a second job, and in order to (eventually, hopefully) get paid, I have to show up and do the work. Being a full time writer is endgame for me, and I can't be a writer if I don't write. Also, I'm just a creative person by nature, and when I can't exercise that creative muscle (which my job doesn't really allow for) I start feeling suffocated (probably a tad dramatic but accurate), and my productivity at work suffers anyway. Writing fulfills me in a way that my day job just can't, so it's not something I can do "when I have time", because with my day job, that basically means never. These things are important to me and I can't just keep setting them aside. 

None of this is to say I don't value my day job. I'm grateful for it every day, and every day I work my ass off. It would just be nice if they stopped treating me like I'm a robot with endless time on my hands to work 24/7 there. 

• Like 2

NO ONE can work 60hrs/week on a regular basis without sacrificing to do so. Be it sleep, fitness, healthy food choices, time for hobbies & passions, time to just chill out, time for boring adult shit like errands & chores...etc. And let's not discount the very real possibility of burnout - taking care of yourself now is also taking care of yourself in order to be a productive worker (and more important: a functional person!) in the future as well. Unless you're contractually mandated to work the extra time, you can tell your supervisor that you value your role and work, but it's not your only priority in life.

• Like 2

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

5 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I feel pretty bad about it and I feel like I should be doing more to help out my teammates because I know they're running themselves ragged and we're getting busier every day. But at the same time, I'm sick and tired of always setting aside the things that are important to me (namely my writing and my health) because we're busy.

You are the entrepreneur of your life, even at your job, your main focus should be acting with your best interests in mind. Your boss(es) have other means to keep the boat afloat, they could, for example, hire more people. Doing it would incur a cost for them that they don't seem willing to pay, so they pawn it off on your and your colleage's shoulders. Working constant overtime week after week can't be mandatory. As long as you're performing what's written on your contract, you are performing to satisfaction. That they aren't satisfied with that is really their problem and none of your business.

I've worked for a boss whose management technique was to teach us that we were all on the same boat, then actively drilling holes in the hull and letting us do whatever was required to get the water out because none of us wanted the work to end up on another one of our already overworked colleagues. I'm very glad I've walked far away from that ship.

Future health problems are real problems, do take care of yourself. When the time comes to face them, your boss won't be there, but you will.

• Like 2

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

Spoiler

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate it. I was going to try to talk to my boss today and see if we could straighten things out, but then she reamed me out and basically told me that I'm lazy and selfish and I don't take my job seriously, otherwise I would be doing more overtime so I would be all caught up (even though regardless of time worked, we're all behind) and that it's not fair to my other co-workers. Never mind the fact that I've been nothing but a dedicated employee for years. I was so upset. I'm still upset. I just don't even have words right now. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Seems normal to be upset. I don't know your whole environment but your boss sounds pretty toxic. Any chance she's got a n+1 with whom you could talk of this ?

• Like 1

Spoiler

Does she have a boss? Yeah, but they're friends, so I have to be really careful what I say. I've been trying to figure out how to phrase it but I may have to just come out and say it. 

We're at month end madness again. Here's my stats:

Fitness:

- Barely keeping up with the workouts this week, but I'm doing at least one a day. 

Nutrition:

- Not sure how I'm keeping up with eating 2 healthy things a day, as everything else I'm eating is basically junk food, but I'm determined. 

Intellectual:

- Almost halfway through this round of revisions. Finally. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jupiter said:

Fitness:

- Barely keeping up with the workouts this week, but I'm doing at least one a day. 

Nutrition:

- Not sure how I'm keeping up with eating 2 healthy things a day, as everything else I'm eating is basically junk food, but I'm determined. 

Intellectual:

- Almost halfway through this round of revisions. Finally. 

Emphasis and congrats, because you're worth it! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2019 at 8:57 AM, Jean said:

Emphasis and congrats, because you're worth it! :)

Thank you! :) I constantly forget to celebrate the small victories, so thank you for always reminding me!  :) 

Today's stats:

Fitness:

- Yoga 25 minutes. 

Nutrition:

- Three healthy things today: apple, scrambled eggs and grapes. 

Intellectual:

- After close to 7 hours of work I think I've finally whipped this chapter into shape. Onto the next. 

• Like 1

Well, it's been a week, and I think I'm finally starting to feel a little human again. I was so exhausted last week. All those 60 hour (or more) weeks finally got to me and I was just brain dead. I did the absolute bare minimum on everything. But now it's time to get things back on track (hopefully) and start leveling up a bit. 

Spoiler

Also, I finally just sent my boss an email explaining the situation. She never responded to it, but I've noticed a change in her, so we'll see what happens. 

• Like 4
On 8/5/2019 at 11:21 AM, ReturnOfTheDad said:

I hope things get better!

On 8/7/2019 at 10:09 AM, Kishi said:

Hey, just dropping by to say that I hope the past few days have been better to you!

Thanks guys, things have been better the last few days. Thanks for checking in, I appreciate it. :) 

Spoiler

Had my annual review early this year and discussed things with my bosses. They told me I'm doing a really good job, which is a relief considering all the drama lately. We talked about my email and I explained the situation again, and they seemed to be surprisingly cool with it. Time will tell, obviously, but I'm cautiously optimistic. 

Things have also slowed down just enough that I'm finally caught up on almost all my work, which makes things so much easier. We've been so busy that I've been constantly behind, but for the moment the pressure isn't quite as bad as it usually is. I doubt I'll stay caught up, as our volume is supposed to be increasing again, but we'll see how it goes. 

In non-work related news, I was hoping to be more productive this week, but I was still mostly brain dead, so when I wasn't working, I just read a bunch of old favorites so I could recharge my brain. Unfortunately that meant no writing (which was stalled anyway) and I missed a few workouts and didn't eat that well. So basically everything got off track, but I at least did something, even if it was the bare minimum. 

Anyway, stats for today:

Fitness:

- Yoga 25 minutes. 

Nutrition:

- Three healthy things today: non-fat Greek yogurt, rotisserie chicken and grapes

Intellectual:

- After about a week and a half of rewriting the same 3-6 pages over and over, I finally figured out what was bugging me about this chapter. I started rewriting again and it just clicked, so I think now I'm on the right track. 

• Like 3

Well, another week flew by. Still keeping up with the workouts for the most part, and managed to eat 2-3 healthy things a day, surprisingly enough. Having trouble with this chapter though. I've been working on it for over 2 weeks now, and only just finished the rough draft yesterday. I don't know if I'm just burned out, or if there's something wrong with the chapter itself, or if I'm just extremely tired, or what. I'll give it a day or two though and then start revising and see if I can whip it into shape. In the meantime I bought a few reference books which have actually been really helpful. Also decided to try my hand at meal prep again. Kept it real simple, just bought some rotisserie chicken and made some rice to go with it. Should give me enough for dinner for the next day or two.

Anyway, on to today's stats:

Fitness:

- Yoga 12 minutes. 

- Circuit training 20 minutes. I'm starting to get bored with my workouts, and I'm finding they're not as effective as they've been, so I'm going to start doubling up when I feel up to it and hopefully stave off the boredom for a little bit longer so I can focus a little more on meal prep, but we'll see how it goes. 

Nutrition:

- Only one thing so far today: non-fat Greek yogurt, but I plan to have some fruit later. 

Intellectual:

- Like I said, finally finished the chapter. Some good ideas popped into my head which got me through to the end. Now to start revising it. 

• Like 2
On 8/21/2019 at 10:20 AM, Kishi said:

Chicken and rice/is everything nice.

Yes, I'm ready for the Nobel in literature. :D

LOL, hey, I'd give it to ya. ;) 

On 8/20/2019 at 6:21 AM, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Thats great! Some of the best meals are the simple ones.

Thanks! :) 

This week has been rough and next week isn't looking to be much better work-wise. It's getting towards the end of the month again and it feels like our volume has tripled so it's going to be even busier and more stressful. Seriously, I've never seen it this busy. At this rate I'll get through twice the workload I usually do and it's already fairly large as it is (I doubt I'll actually get that far, but I might get fairly close). So I've decided to make this week (what's left of it) and next week all about yoga. Yoga and maybe some meditation if I can remember it to hopefully help with some of the stress. 

Anyway, today's stats:

Fitness:

- Did two short yoga videos that amounted to about 20 minutes. 

Nutrition:

- Three (well, I guess four) good things so far: some low fat Greek yogurt (peanut butter cup flavored, yummm) and a pretty basic burrito bowl with chicken, rice and fajita veggies. 

Intellectual:

- Hoping to get some decent work done on this chapter tonight. I'm aiming to have it ready to go by next week, as there is another author/mentor thing starting up and I really want to go, but we'll see. I've got the first couple of pages revised and I'm happier with it than I was before, so it's a good start. 

• Like 2

I've discovered it only very recently but yoga is awesome! Hope it's helping you to relax.

• Like 1