• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Strickland5

Scouts Camp 2019 : From jungle to the beach

Welcome to the Scouts Camp!

A new year, a new location - we have gone from the frozen north (2017) thru the jungle (2018) and now we find our camp on a nice beach on the shore of Ocean o' Steve or is it the Sea of Stacey I never can tell. 

Wait ... wait it looks like the beach is slightly occupied

ac_massive-epic-support2_ncsa_328463.jpg

Let's head on down the beach and see if there's something less crowded

r29zv7i0n4t01.jpg

space-beach.jpg

75_Ton_Creature_by_VegasMike.jpg

That's better .... well Scouts, here's to 2019! 

• Like 1

Tank, doesn't matter the speed, just that you move forward :)

Also, there is still time for scouts to do the NerdFitness Santa Sleigh 5k 2018 over at the 2018 Holiday Mini-Challenge since it runs till Jan 2.

And on Jan 1 there is the inversion part of the Holiday Mini-Challenge.

• Like 1

Hello fellow scouts! I'm a little late, but Happy Solar Rotation to you all!

This year, I will be attempting to run two marathons one week apart.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Nomad Jay said:

That's ambitious.  Do you have a plan for the week in between?  Or a strategy for race days?

Running 2 marathons a week apart doesn't have to be bad, that can be part of training for an ultra marathon (but usually these are easier paces so you are going to recover quicker than a marathon at race pace).

On 1/6/2019 at 3:54 PM, Nomad Jay said:

Hello fellow scouts! I'm a little late, but Happy Solar Rotation to you all!

Thank you, good sir and welcome!

Do tell more of this madness! How did you get yourself signed up for two marathons so close? :)

On 1/7/2019 at 2:37 PM, Auroro Borealis said:

Thank you, good sir and welcome!

Do tell more of this madness! How did you get yourself signed up for two marathons so close? :)

Well I really wanted to run both of them and the dates just happened to line up like that.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:05 AM, Mike_d85 said:

That's ambitious.  Do you have a plan for the week in between?  Or a strategy for race days?

I have the makings of a plan:

1. Steal underpants

2. Finish my winter strength training this month.

3. Start triathlon training for the sprint-distance triathlon I want to do in late April. I wanted to run one last year but my job unexpectedly took me back to the States so that got scratched. This is a good cross-discipline way to build up my endurance back up after about two months off from running. (Judge me all you like but a morning wind-chill of 20 degrees Fahrenheit or lower is not my idea of a good time.)

4. Start marathon training in May. My strategy is to hit the hills hard and to incorporate free weight strength training (squats, dead-lifts, etc) to reinforce my running base. Ideally I'll work my way up to consistent 22 mile long runs by August. I also live close enough to bike to work so when the snow clears and the days get longer I'll be biking to and from work as often as possible. I've got a handful of backpacking and kayaking trips planned. While those will cut into a strict training plan, I figure walking up and down the mountains with 35-50lbs on my back should be a good endurance work-out for my legs. It's also a good mental refresher for me. After two and a half years in a very urban environment I'd almost forgotten how much I missed the wide open of the outdoors.

5. My first marathon is an off-road cross-country marathon. That's going to be my most difficult race. The three days after that will be recovery walking or cycling at an easy pace. The idea here is low intensity work that keeps the muscles from stiffening up.

6. The second marathon is a road race. I did the half in 2018 with minimal preparation so I'm fairly confident I can handle the rest of the course. I'm challenging myself to 4.5 hours or less here, which I think is obtainable but not so difficult that I break myself.

7. PROFIT!

And for those of you in the audience wondering "Does he hate himself?" Yes. Yes I do.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Nomad Jay said:

Judge me all you like but a morning wind-chill of 20 degrees Fahrenheit or lower is not my idea of a good time.

Am I the only one who takes a weird pleasure in pulling icicles out of his facial hair?

20 hours ago, Nomad Jay said:

And for those of you in the audience wondering "Does he hate himself?" Yes. Yes I do.

We know.

That looks like a good thorough plan.  Doing the off-road marathon and then the road race is probably the best route.  All your secondary muscles won't take as severe a beating on the road race so I'm guessing being 90% recovered will be enough.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 7:49 AM, Mike_d85 said:

Am I the only one who takes a weird pleasure in pulling icicles out of his facial hair?

I'm clean-shaven, so maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

On 1/14/2019 at 7:49 AM, Mike_d85 said:

We know.

It's nice to find a place where people just accept my self-hatred, rather than attempting to rid me of it. Strangely comforting.

• Like 1

How we doing folks? I'm not doing a challenge this term ... session ... (what do we call these things?) 

But hopefully y'all are doing great!

Any scout who's an anime fan needs to be watching Run With The Wind. Any scout who's not an anime fan needs to be watching Run With The Wind. Basically everyone needs to be watching Run With The Wind. You're welcome.

• Like 1

What's up party people; looks like a good time to set up a new challenge for myself; I have been upping my weekly mileage now to start adding weekend long runs back into the mix now that winter is over and I can actually use the bike path for more than just a skating path

On 1/2/2019 at 4:20 PM, Frost of the Gloaming said:

It's the ocean at the end of the lane

Logging on after months away and then seeing this after finishing the book last week is enough to hook me back in. Challenge forthcoming.

• Like 1

Scouts (all 3 of you :lol: ) this is a thing, you are all required in either participatory or advisory capacity pls. 

:crushed: saw on my FB today a post from last year the last run I took the girls on in the jogging stroller; this will be the first year in 10 years that I won't push a jogging stroller

sorry scratch that I pushed Bug a few times before my daughter was born so I would say actually closer to 12-13 years and 10 of those years were every weekend from Mid-March until it got to cold so mid-late November. Plus random times during the week, it got to the point where people around town would recognize me as the jogging dad. Sigh enjoy the time as it goes flying by. 

• Like 1