• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Strickland5

Scouts Camp 2019 : From jungle to the beach

On 3/22/2019 at 7:35 AM, Endor said:

Scouts (all 3 of you :lol: ) this is a thing, you are all required in either participatory or advisory capacity pls.

I'll be well past 5K at that point (or should be), but I'm happy to serve in an advisory capacity. How may I be of assistance?

Not doing the half marathon up above; tried to find a hotel/camp site before you can even register for the event and everything is booked, which made me curios, so did a quick search and I find out that it's Lake George's annual classic car show, so half marathon on open roads with a car show going on, no bueno.

Hey there Scouts - how are we doing? 

tumblr_pqbuy8Rncj1tuyf8ho1_540.gif

I'm getting back from being lazy on my running. Did 4 miles Saturday and 3 this morning which was nice. Weighed in and that was not nice ... been resting too much and not hitting the pavement / trail as much as I should. So I'm working on that, probably will do a challenge next go around.

owJbF.gif

• Like 1

Completed my first sprint-length / Olympic-length triathlon on Saturday. Due to a late-season snow (apparently South Dakota gets snow in April. What?) the event was pushed inside. Instead of doing time over a known distance, they judged it on distance over a known time: 10 minutes of swimming, 20 minute transition, 20 minutes on the stationary bike, 10 minute transition, 20 minutes on a quarter-mile track or a treadmill, competitor's choice. I didn't do as well as I would have liked, but not a terrible showing. I have no idea where I placed overall, since I had to leave before they announced the results and nothing is posted online.

There was a kids' triathlon prior to the first heat. Watching a bunch of 10-and-unders swim as hard as they can for 5 minutes solid is surprisingly adorable.

• Like 1

We're all out running. Duh. :glee:

I've been bad about posting what with traveling for work and all. The weather finally broke here in Montana and got up to 88 Fahrenheit last week. Spent Memorial Day backpacking in the mountains. I got in an 8-mile trail run in the hills last weekend, but Mother Nature is a tease and it's 45 Fahrenheit and raining this morning. Also, it snowed last night. What!?

First competitive race of the season is the Beartooth 10K at 10K. I have no hope of winning but I hate myself just enough sign up.

• Like 1

Buddy of mine told me about a trail system I hadn't found yet. Went out this morning and did 12 miles. My knees hate me but man was it a pretty run.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nomad Jay said:

Buddy of mine told me about a trail system I hadn't found yet. Went out this morning and did 12 miles. My knees hate me but man was it a pretty run.

How was the trail?

Just wanted to say hi! Will be joining the Scouts next time around. I've been on the forums for many years, hiding out in the Rangers. I'm mostly a distance runner...28 states into a goal of running a marathon in every state of the US. Was supposed to do a trail half marathon today but bailed due to a not-fun weather forecast. It was a race I was doing "just for fun" so I didn't feel too bad about that.

What kinds of goals are you guys thinking about for next challenge??

I have lots of goals that a recycle from challenge to challenge. I'm thinking about designing a new mobility goal for myself...maybe based on some MovNat exercises (???). Still thinking about this one.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 4:15 PM, Frost of the Gloaming said:

playing around with my fitness tracker and saw my records from last year, all of them are definitely breakable this year, so my goal for the rest of 2019 is to shatter a few of them and break the rest. 

How has that been going? I haven't tried many benchmark runs this year. Last week I clocked times for a couple of my favorite courses. Neither time was very impressive, but at least now I have a target to aim for this year...times from years past seem far away at the moment, but we'll see how it goes!

Hi.  I followed Xena here.  I’ll also be posting here next challenge. I do endurance mountain bike racing, but I let myself get fat and out of shape last winter, so I only have a couple of events planned this year.  

In response to Xena’s question, I don’t really do specific challenge goals, but my fitness goals are always, get some miles in, do some yoga (I never actually do it), throw the Kettlebell around some, and don’t eat like a dickhead.  I also currently have a life goal of whittling down the to-do list.  

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 10:30 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’ll also be posting here next challenge

Yay!!

Like you, my fitness goals tend to be pretty much the same. I just try to figure out some way to trick myself into thinking there is something new.

Last night a friend convinced me* to register for this race next spring (55 k distance):

https://vacationraces.com/ultras/antelope-canyon/?src=regconf&_ga=2.267629581.2053879788.1561001378-72496122.1558921261#tab-con-24

It looks pretty hard, but the time limits seem generous for this distance.

* she didn't really have to try too hard.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2019 at 3:05 PM, Strickland5 said:

How was the trail?

Overall, pretty twisty-turny with some sharp inclines. Mountain bikers also use it so it's not insurmountable, but I had to slow to basically a walk getting up some of the hills. I was going to go back out today but the storms last night probably left the place a sopping mess. I don't the uphill slog so much, but skittering downhill isn't my idea of a good time.

On 6/17/2019 at 11:58 AM, Xena said:

Will be joining the Scouts next time around. I've been on the forums for many years, hiding out in the Rangers.

On 6/19/2019 at 12:30 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I followed Xena here

Image result for takeover gif

It's a Ranger takeover!

I'm back for a challenge after a hiatus. 2 weeks ago I finished my first Couch to 5K and have just signed up for a 10k on 15th September. I'm all excited and rather frightened at the same time! Lots of work to do and very little running knowledge so I'm joining the scouts for a challenge to get my run on. 

• Like 3

Wow! I'll be psyched to have you join us for the next challenge!

Congrats on finishing the C2-5K program! And good luck conquering the 10K :-)

image.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nomad Jay said:

Overall, pretty twisty-turny with some sharp inclines. Mountain bikers also use it so it's not insurmountable, but I had to slow to basically a walk getting up some of the hills. I was going to go back out today but the storms last night probably left the place a sopping mess. I don't the uphill slog so much, but skittering downhill isn't my idea of a good time.

What part of the country/world are you in? I'm in Massachusetts and your description sounds just about right.

Hey y'all I'm a recent convert. Nice beach you found here. I'm trying to focus on losing weight so therefor, cardio, therefor scout!

I can really use an accountability buddy if anybody else needs one too, or maybe a small group??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jedi_mind said:

Hey y'all I'm a recent convert. Nice beach you found here. I'm trying to focus on losing weight so therefor, cardio, therefor scout!

I can really use an accountability buddy if anybody else needs one too, or maybe a small group??

Welcome aboard!

Nothing wrong with accountability! I'd be up to help/be part of one if that is something folks wanna do.

It feels pretty nice around here. I'm planting my shack on this beach for a few rounds, you people rock!

• Like 2

I was planning on a scouting challenge this cycle but just sprained my ankle... though recovering from running injuries is probably something scouts are experienced at too!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I was planning on a scouting challenge this cycle but just sprained my ankle... though recovering from running injuries is probably something scouts are experienced at too!

With sprains I typically shift to bike - gives you good cardio w/o putting stress on strained join/area but if all else fails swimming will do the trick 

• Like 1