• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tanktimus the Encourager

Do You Even Work Here? Tanktimus' New Year Challenge

4 hours ago, Moros said:

Following.  Congrats on being our new Forum leader!

giphy.gif

EminentCourteousHarborseal-max-1mb.gif

Today is a good day. I had intended to walk, but didn't (headache again, though this one has been manageable). We did finish taking down Christmas decorations. A living room always looks so much bigger after the tree comes down. Lunch was meatloaf:

1 lb ground chuck+1 lb Ground Sage pork Sausage+half a chopped onion+crumbs made from a combination of saltines and ritz crackers+tomato sauce+salt+pepper+garlic powder+paprika. Sra. Tanque mixed it all by hand and put it in a baking dish I had sprayed with Pam. We put it in a 375 degree oven for an hour with

Butternut squash+sliced parsnips+avocado oil+white wine vinegar+salt+pepper+garlic powder+onion powder+thyme+parsley+oregano

This only needed 40 minutes. If I had realized that I would have put it in after the meatloaf had been in for 20, instead of taking it out before the meatloaf was done.

Sra. Tanque also made power slaw which she dressed with w tbsp each: apple cider vinegar, honey, olive oil and whole grain mustard.

It was incredible and very fun to cook together.

• Like 15

Oh man you just reminded me I haven't made meatloaf in FOREVER and it is SO DANG GOOD with the CRACKERS in it!!!! MEATLOAF I'M COMIN' FOR YOU next week after we eat all this week's groceries first..........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shaar said:

Oh man you just reminded me I haven't made meatloaf in FOREVER and it is SO DANG GOOD with the CRACKERS in it!!!! MEATLOAF I'M COMIN' FOR YOU next week after we eat all this week's groceries first..........

MeatLOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

I'm eating it again for dinner at work. It's still awesome.

59 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

I hated meatloaf for a long time.   Until my bro in law made me some bison meatloaf.

Mmmmmm.

My mom always complains she can't make meatloaf like her mother. I realized one day that my mother was being unfair to herslef. Her mother was making meatloaf in the 50s, when ingredients were all different. Also, her mom saved all the meat leftovers and made them into meatloaf (they had a meat grinder) on Fridays, mom always makes hers from storebought ground beef.

• Like 6

OK, that's it, I'm making meatloaf next week. Tried it a couple of years ago (when I first started cooking) and it was horrible.  Imma try again using your recipe and see how it goes.

• Like 2

My Gran makes an excellent vegetarian (even vegan I think, coz my cousin is vegan) nut-meatloaf. Whilst delicious it has fart-a-strophic consequences. I ate several slices at Christmas lunch then had a tent to myself in the evening. At least once I woke up convinced I had gassed myself to death and was rotting... TMI? Soz, just trying to help everyone who came here hungry :P

In short some things just shouldn’t be vegan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 10

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

A living room always looks so much bigger after the tree comes down.

Truth! I took our tree down on Wednesday and suddenly it felt like we had space in the front room again. And reality of it being new year really hit home.

3 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

Another truth!

• Like 2

my mind is spinning from meatloaf WITH SAGE SAUSAGE MIXED IN. gracious. 

once I went over to a friends for dinner and he cut into the meatloaf and revealed HARD BOILED EGGS. it was so fancy and shocking!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

Wow, y'all Rangers are an exciting and excited bunch! Following along for awesome goals, from camp Level 1! Cheering you on :D

Rangers gonna Ranger!

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

OK, that's it, I'm making meatloaf next week. Tried it a couple of years ago (when I first started cooking) and it was horrible.  Imma try again using your recipe and see how it goes.

I hope you like it!

7 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

My Gran makes an excellent vegetarian (even vegan I think, coz my cousin is vegan) nut-meatloaf. Whilst delicious it has fart-a-strophic consequences. I ate several slices at Christmas lunch then had a tent to myself in the evening. At least once I woke up convinced I had gassed myself to death and was rotting... TMI? Soz, just trying to help everyone who came here hungry :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That wasn't meatloaf, it was nutloaf. And I ALWAYS enjoy a good fart story. I don't mind eating vegetables, I just don't like veggies pretending to be meat.

3 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Truth! I took our tree down on Wednesday and suddenly it felt like we had space in the front room again. And reality of it being new year really hit home.

Another truth!

It's like someone expanded our house and forgot to tell us.

42 minutes ago, karinajean said:

my mind is spinning from meatloaf WITH SAGE SAUSAGE MIXED IN. gracious. 

once I went over to a friends for dinner and he cut into the meatloaf and revealed HARD BOILED EGGS. it was so fancy and shocking!

I came up with the idea for more than one kind of meat from my mother's tales of her mother using more than one kind of meat. It really elevates the loaf.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It really elevates the loaf.

Aaaaand I just pictured a floating glowy meatloaf with a halo over it.

(Google images gave me nothing close of the sort so you'll have to use your minds eye..)

• Haha 8

I came up with the idea for more than one kind of meat from my mother's tales of her mother using more than one kind of meat. It really elevates the loaf.
Only one kind of meat in mine but cover it with bacon to really elevate f8ec2a79c764c326615ca20f3432df38.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

5 hours ago, shaar said:

Aaaaand I just pictured a floating glowy meatloaf with a halo over it.

(Google images gave me nothing close of the sort so you'll have to use your minds eye..)

Yeah, I drew a blank as well on image search. I did, however, craft that phrase to be easily misinterpreted.

2 hours ago, T2sarahconnor said:

Only one kind of meat in mine but cover it with bacon to really elevate f8ec2a79c764c326615ca20f3432df38.jpg

That'll do it :) 

Today is a good day. We met friends for Ramen, then I did roll call at the substation and a kettlebell workout.

• Like 9

Following along man! Hope your cold has got better now? Looks like you did a good job of rangering through it anyway.

I've never had meatloaf, it's not really a thing over here, but after reading all this I may have to do some experimentation.

• Like 2

I do love a good meatloaf! I like mixing beef with turkey, or just using turkey for something lighter since I don't eat red meat all that often.

16 hours ago, T2sarahconnor said:

The bacon elevates your meatloaf from "food" to "art"

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, NicTheRugger said:

I do love a good meatloaf! I like mixing beef with turkey, or just using turkey for something lighter since I don't eat red meat all that often.

Thanks

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jarric said:

Following along man! Hope your cold has got better now? Looks like you did a good job of rangering through it anyway.

I've never had meatloaf, it's not really a thing over here, but after reading all this I may have to do some experimentation.

Yes, the allergies seem to have subsided. I think you should do meatloaf. Especially when using more than one kind of meat, it's a great meataphor (that was a typo but it's rather fitting, isn't it?) for the U.S.; taking a bunch of different meats and baking them together as one.

2 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

Agreed on the bacon. I have made meatloaf in the past with ground Turkey and almond flour back in my Paleo only days. I prefer the real thing now.

1 hour ago, T2sarahconnor said:

Thanks

He's right you know, that is a work of art.

• Like 2

Best meatloaf ever

11/2 lbs hamburger.  I use 80 or 85%.  It sits on a rack as it cooks so the grease drains.

1/2-1 C of Oatmeal

1 package Lipton onion soup mix ( or generic)

1 egg

then a squirt or two of yellow mustard, liberal shakes of Worcestershire sauce and maybe a squirt of ketchup if I have some.

make your loaf, coat top with a thin layer of BBQ sauce then lay on the bacon.  I also use the pepper grinder liberally on top of the bacon.

i have found that at 360 degree oven once the bacon is done on top it is cooked perfectly. 

• Like 4

On 12/30/2018 at 11:31 AM, shaar said:

I already can't keep up!  AAA!!  AAAAAAAAA

DjqU.gif

Haha just kidding maybe HELLO HI

Considering it is now PAGE THREE and I am just now ambling my way over here, this GIF and exclamation suited the situation far better than anything I could have devised myself. Thank you, Shaar, for your on-point GIF game.  *fistbump of awesomeness*

Tank - *clears throat nervously* - it is my great honor to serve as the official Ranger Ambassador follower on your thread for this challenge. It is my privilege to sit and bask in the brightness of your ongoing growth and greatness, and my humble service to offer any encouragement or flag-waving you may need to succor you along your journey.

All hail, and well met.

Or should I say ... well meatloafed.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, T2sarahconnor said:

Best meatloaf ever

11/2 lbs hamburger.  I use 80 or 85%.  It sits on a rack as it cooks so the grease drains.

1/2-1 C of Oatmeal

1 package Lipton onion soup mix ( or generic)

1 egg

then a squirt or two of yellow mustard, liberal shakes of Worcestershire sauce and maybe a squirt of ketchup if I have some.

make your loaf, coat top with a thin layer of BBQ sauce then lay on the bacon.  I also use the pepper grinder liberally on top of the bacon.

i have found that at 360 degree oven once the bacon is done on top it is cooked perfectly. 

The world thanks you for sharing this.

6 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Considering it is now PAGE THREE and I am just now ambling my way over here, this GIF and exclamation suited the situation far better than anything I could have devised myself. Thank you, Shaar, for your on-point GIF game.  *fistbump of awesomeness*

Tank - *clears throat nervously* - it is my great honor to serve as the official Ranger Ambassador follower on your thread for this challenge. It is my privilege to sit and bask in the brightness of your ongoing growth and greatness, and my humble service to offer any encouragement or flag-waving you may need to succor you along your journey.

All hail, and well met.

Welcome! I'm glad you're here. As for your last line:

I don't know how we made it this long without a Meatloaf video.

Yesterday was a good day. My parents came over for lunch, and we batch cooked after they left. If you'll remember in the initial post I mentioned trying something different for eating. I still am doing Intuitive Eating, and for the next three weeks there's a caveat. Our church is doing 21 days of prayer and fasting. I initially hesitated about whether or not to mention this. One is not supposed to broadcast when they are fasting. This wikipedia entry lists the relevant scripture passage and explains it well. The spirit of that idea is a warning against those who fast to look good. Upon reflection since the discussion here is about the nutritional aspects and I'm bringing it up for support I feel comfortable talking about it. The way we are choosing to participate is called a Daniel Fast. Essentially It's Vegan with no processed Carbs (whole grains are allowed, like the actual individual grains, not something marketed as having whole grain in it). I've also chosen to start Intermittent Fasting, my eating window will be 11a-7p. The Intuitive Eating book mentions religious fasts, saying that if they are done for spiritual reasons one's convictions will help them complete the fast and it should not derail the progress made on intuitive eating. I made some black beans and brown rice in the instant pot and got four meals worth. I'll make some more throughout the week. We got a lot of fruit for snacks, as well as enough avocados to have with every lunch and dinner. There are also a great deal of cashews on hand to help with protein and satiety. I also roasted a TON of veggies and batched them out as well. It is my hope that not eating breakfast and not having to meal prep (aside from rice and beans, which the instant pot makes easy) I'll have more time to stick with fitness goals. Since cooking is such a big part of my challenge threads I wanted everyone to know why I stop talking about it for 3 weeks. Instead, I hope to talk about my experience as a temporary vegan.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I don't know how we made it this long without a Meatloaf video.

Ever since I watched the Bat Out of Hell show in London and got the soundtrack, I've been listening to Meatloaf songs almost on repeat, but sung by the cast of the show. Don't hate me - but I prefer the show version of Two out of Three Ain't bad, and I haven't looked up the rest lol. *ducks and runs out of Tank's thread*

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

All hail, and well met.

And now my brain has concocted an image of being knighted, except in place of a sword it's just a really really REALLY long meatloaf.

Where do I get these ideas??!?! SOMEONE HELP ME

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Instead, I hope to talk about my experience as a temporary vegan.

I am v. interested to hear all about this!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rhovaniel said:

Ever since I watched the Bat Out of Hell show in London and got the soundtrack, I've been listening to Meatloaf songs almost on repeat, but sung by the cast of the show. Don't hate me - but I prefer the show version of Two out of Three Ain't bad, and I haven't looked up the rest lol. *ducks and runs out of Tank's thread*

No worries, I don't have particularly strong feelings about the band meatloaf.

1 hour ago, shaar said:

And now my brain has concocted an image of being knighted, except in place of a sword it's just a really really REALLY long meatloaf.

Where do I get these ideas??!?! SOMEONE HELP ME

I am v. interested to hear all about this!!!

And the one Knighting and the one Knighted are also standing on an elevated meatloaf hovering above the ground with glowy lights underneath it.

Experience so far:

I had one cup of coffee when I got up, and that felt satisfying. At church I felt hungry here and there, but it was ok. About 11 I was still at church due to helping out and got really hungry. I downed a bottle of water as a stop-gap which held me over. No one showed up for the part I was helping with, so we got to leave early, which was a blessing. I came to work early and ate my lunch here, it was the beans and rice. I put an avocado on it for extra calories. There are nuts I can buy in the cafeteria if I want, which is good because I forgot to take cashews with me from home.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

No worries, I don't have particularly strong feelings about the band meatloaf.

And the one Knighting and the one Knighted are also standing on an elevated meatloaf hovering above the ground with glowy lights underneath it.

Experience so far:

I had one cup of coffee when I got up, and that felt satisfying. At church I felt hungry here and there, but it was ok. About 11 I was still at church due to helping out and got really hungry. I downed a bottle of water as a stop-gap which held me over. No one showed up for the part I was helping with, so we got to leave early, which was a blessing. I came to work early and ate my lunch here, it was the beans and rice. I put an avocado on it for extra calories. There are nuts I can buy in the cafeteria if I want, which is good because I forgot to take cashews with me from home.

That's a relief! I got curious after I posted and went to YouTube. I think I'll stick to the show versions. I'm not sure I'd say I dislike the band Meatloaf (can't speak for the food, I'm afraid. It's really not a thing over here) but I definitely wouldn't call myself a fan. 

Drinking water to tide over the hunger is a really good strategy. I'm interested in how you get on.

• Like 3