• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tanktimus the Encourager

Do You Even Work Here? Tanktimus' New Year Challenge

4 minutes ago, DaemonCorax said:

I really WANT to like this show, but after watching the first episode I was (1) frustrated with the family she was helping and (2) hope that my communication with my partner stays better than that.

Yeah, I'm still on the first episode and I agree that couple is in trouble if they don't learn how to communicate better. It seems the bones of a good relationship are there, but they need counseling with a heavy emphasis on communication.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

(2) hope that my communication with my partner stays better than that.

He was really someone who sometimes pushed up my pulse.

• Like 1

I'm really interested in this Daniel fast thing.  We always had 4 stories from the book of Daniel: The lions, the fire, the diet and the dream interpretation.  This is the first time I have seen anyone use the diet story in this way, but I really like it. :)  

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 7:10 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I downed a bottle of water as a stop-gap which held me over.

I am always wowed that this works for people, I've tried it at times (hungry but didn't have food or time) and all it did was make me sick. My stomach seems to have two modes: 'fine' and 'get me food now'.

Curious to see how it works for you, especially if your activity levels change - not just because of the vegan but also the sugar drop. 

Also, plums for some reason feed you a lot more than apples do. 

• Like 2

Apples always make me ravenously hungry, they don’t seem to make me fuller but emptier instead!

I had forgotten the Daniel and his bros being vegetarian story (though shadrack meshack and abednigo is a familiar story)... was there a reason why they needed to be veggo? Or just coz god said so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Arkania said:

I can see that. They both had their issues, I think the wife felt overwhelmed and under-supported, and just needed someone to come along and coach her a bit on how to take charge with the kids rather than letting them run the show. The Husband needed to be home more if he could, and in his own words "Give the best of him to his family." They both need a healthy way to talk about their frustrations rather than just snipping at each other. A lot of it comes down to communication. The onus is on both of them to learn how to express their feelings in a way that's less of an attack and to learn how to hear those feelings without taking it personally. It takes two to communicate well, and sometimes one partner needs to cut the other some slack in a particular situation. That's hard to do when both are exhausted and don't have the skills they need.

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I'm really interested in this Daniel fast thing.  We always had 4 stories from the book of Daniel: The lions, the fire, the diet and the dream interpretation.  This is the first time I have seen anyone use the diet story in this way, but I really like it. :)  

The diet comes from two passages actually, the one you mentioned early in the book, and from chapter 10:2-3 where Daniel has had a vision he didn't particularly like and was praying and fasting about it. Some of the structure and the traditional length of the fast come from that part.

Daniel 10:2-3

In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no [a]pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.

3 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

I am always wowed that this works for people, I've tried it at times (hungry but didn't have food or time) and all it did was make me sick. My stomach seems to have two modes: 'fine' and 'get me food now'.

Curious to see how it works for you, especially if your activity levels change - not just because of the vegan but also the sugar drop. 

Also, plums for some reason feed you a lot more than apples do. 

Water when hungry is not a good long term strategy, it simply provides volume in the stomach. I only resorted to it because I knew I'd be eating soon and just wanted to get over the hump till I could get to my food. I was also a little thirsty, which is another reason it helped some. Drinking water as a regular strategy to deal with hunger is not something I recommend, it was just a one off for a unique situation.

2 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

Apples always make me ravenously hungry, they don’t seem to make me fuller but emptier instead!

I had forgotten the Daniel and his bros being vegetarian story (though shadrack meshack and abednigo is a familiar story)... was there a reason why they needed to be veggo? Or just coz god said so?

The text doesn't explicitly state why Daniel did not want to "defile himself" with the King's meat or the king's wine. It's likely the meat was either unclean (meaning it included prohibited meats for the Jews), was tainted by being included in sacrifices, or both. The wine is a little more confusing to me, the only times wine is prohibited in the Hebrew Scriptures are for priests in certain purification rites or for someone who has taken a Nazerite Vow. It may simply be Daniel wanted to fast, and felt wine was something to avoid. It's likely Daniel felt veggies couldn't be defiled so he knew they were safe. The more important part of the story from a faith perspective is that God sustained him in that fast so he looked better than his colleagues who did not fast. That combined with the fast in Daniel 10 is the point. In Christian contexts fasting is a way to "Say no to the belly so we can say yes to God." It was a regular practice for the Jews in the time of Jesus, and since all the first Christians were Jews, the Christian scriptures simply assume people will be fasting. Doing so is not a way to get righteousness points, The passage I referenced a few days ago from the Sermon on the Mount makes that clear. It's a way to get closer to God and perhaps hear a message God is trying to give, or to deal with a problem and be able to focus more fully on prayer. Also, the Daniel fast is a more practicable way to fast for a longer time than simply by not eating. I really enjoy getting to nerd out about Theology on my thread.

On the fasting news, I mentioned yesterday that the morning was easier than the day before. It was. I struggled again some last night when I got home, but the desire to eat wasn't as bad as the night before. However, Sra. Tanque and I talked about some of the technical aspects of the fast and started making plans for the next week (I generally go shopping on Friday morning and want to have a plan in place. Talking about food was difficult during the part where I wanted to eat, but we got through it. There's nothing in the Daniel fast about Intermittent Fasting, I've just decided to do that along with the fast. IF has been more challenging than not eating meat. Talk about dieting evolved into talk about feels, mostly mine. I opened up about some stuff I hadn't expressed yet, some I was aware of and some I wasn't. Talking about the stuff I was aware of helped me see the stuff I didn't realize and it came out. It was a good talk, Sra. Tanque was very supportive and affirming. We used some communication skills I was talking about in reference to the Marie Kondo show. I am very greatful for Sra. Tanque and told her so, being sure to thank her for hearing me. 

• Like 14

13 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Water when hungry is not a good long term strategy, it simply provides volume in the stomach. I only resorted to it because I knew I'd be eating soon and just wanted to get over the hump till I could get to my food. I was also a little thirsty, which is another reason it helped some. Drinking water as a regular strategy to deal with hunger is not something I recommend, it was just a one off for a unique situation.

Yeah I know, my use of it was in the same capacity. But water, even when I'm thirsty does nothing for my hunger unless I'm already eating. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The diet comes from two passages actually, the one you mentioned early in the book, and from chapter 10:2-3 where Daniel has had a vision he didn't particularly like and was praying and fasting about it. Some of the structure and the traditional length of the fast come from that part.

Ah, OK.  That makes a lot of sense

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

Yeah I know, my use of it was in the same capacity. But water, even when I'm thirsty does nothing for my hunger unless I'm already eating. 

That can happen. It may be that your body is smart enough to differentiate hunger and thirst signals really well.

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Ah, OK.  That makes a lot of sense

:) 

Today is a good day. Did the Beginner Body Weight Workout and watched more episodes of Marie Kondo's special on Netflix. It gets better after that first couple. I realized something with this fast. I don't miss certain foods I was eating, I miss convenience. I don't feel deprived from the foods we eat when eating out, I feel deprived from the convenience of not having to cook. I don't miss the processed food I used to keep in the house, I missed not having to prepare it. I'm gonna roll around in this realization for a bit.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That can happen. It may be that your body is smart enough to differentiate hunger and thirst signals really well.

:) 

Today is a good day. Did the Beginner Body Weight Workout and watched more episodes of Marie Kondo's special on Netflix. It gets better after that first couple. I realized something with this fast. I don't miss certain foods I was eating, I miss convenience. I don't feel deprived from the foods we eat when eating out, I feel deprived from the convenience of not having to cook. I don't miss the processed food I used to keep in the house, I missed not having to prepare it. I'm gonna roll around in this realization for a bit.

The Kondo series is on my list to watch.  I loved the book.    Very insightful eating reflections.

• Like 3

Phew I caught up!

I'm really interested in your fasting journey.  I was a vegan for a long time and a whole foods based vegan (basically what you're doing) for a bit of that so if you need any food related advice give me a shout!

On 1/9/2019 at 9:01 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It was a good talk, Sra. Tanque was very supportive and affirming. We used some communication skills I was talking about in reference to the Marie Kondo show. I am very greatful for Sra. Tanque and told her so, being sure to thank her for hearing me. 

You guys are seriously couple goals.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, T2sarahconnor said:

The Kondo series is on my list to watch.  I loved the book.    Very insightful eating reflections.

Thanks.

13 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Hmmm, very interesting insights.  I am curious to see where they lead

Me too.

9 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Phew I caught up!

I'm really interested in your fasting journey.  I was a vegan for a long time and a whole foods based vegan (basically what you're doing) for a bit of that so if you need any food related advice give me a shout!

You guys are seriously couple goals.

Aww, thanks. It helps that we are very compatible, but in the end it all boils down to good communication. If a couple can communicate well (and consistently do so) they've got their future well in hand. It creates a good positive feedback loop. Every time good communication happens, it reinforces the idea that no matter what comes it can be talked out. That leads to more willingness to communicate, and there are always benefits after one or both partners are heard and validated. As for Veganism, I'll do it temporarily for Jesus, but I don't foresee willingly being Vegan for myself. Meat is good. I love vegetables, but not on their own, apparently. 

I hit a wall last night with the stuff I had batch cooked. I barely got through the rice and beans at lunch, and could not finish the roasted veggies for dinner at work. Fortunately I had some trail mix I had put together from Sra. Tanque's suggestion (raisins, cashews, almonds and coconut flakes) that was enough to fill me up. Got hungry again last night, and feel hungry now, though I didn't when I woke up. Vegan fare isn't providing enough calories to sustain Intermittent Fasting much longer. We talked again last night and are going to modify our fast. The point of the fast is not a legalistic adherence to rules, it's saying no to something in order to say yes to God. We gave the Vegan thing a good try, and we're going to reintroduce animal products, while still abstaining from processed food and eating out. When I go grocery shopping Friday I will be buying meat and eggs. Probably some dairy too. I don't know yet if I'll maintain intermittent fasting. I'm also going to go for cooking bigger meals so we can get more portions out of them. I had been cooking enough for me to get one meal and Sra. Tanque to get two. I don't know why it took me this long to figure it out, but if I buy more quantity I can cook big enough meals for me to get more than one portion out of them, that way I don't have to figure out lunch and dinner as two seperate meals. That should also cut down on dinner from the cafeteria. Not sure what I will do today, because I don't plan on going to the store till tomorrow.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

As for Veganism, I'll do it temporarily for Jesus, but I don't foresee willingly being Vegan for myself. Meat is good. I love vegetables, but not on their own, apparently. 

I feel you - that's why I stopped hahah (8 years without meat was not enough to make me forget how much I loved it apparently).  But I did have a good run - I more meant during your 3 week journey if you need any resources in terms of recipes and increasing calories and protein and such :)we all anxiously await your glorious return to The Meats and your Tankified recipes. But now that I've read the rest of your post I see you've rejoined the fold.  I like the idea of abstaining from processed food and eating out!  That would be a really tough one for me.

5 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That leads to more willingness to communicate, and there are always benefits after one or both partners are heard and validated.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Raxie said:

I feel you - that's why I stopped hahah (8 years without meat was not enough to make me forget how much I loved it apparently).  But I did have a good run - I more meant during your 3 week journey if you need any resources in terms of recipes and increasing calories and protein and such :)we all anxiously await your glorious return to The Meats and your Tankified recipes. But now that I've read the rest of your post I see you've rejoined the fold.  I like the idea of abstaining from processed food and eating out!  That would be a really tough one for me.

You are right there next to one of the food capitals of the world, it would be hard for anyone to abstain from eating out.

Today is a day.  About 9 am I got hungry. Not, some-hunger-but-it-will-pass hunger, but ignore-it-and-it-will-become-primal-hunger hunger. I decided not to worry about IF and listen to my body's signal. I made some whole grain cereal:

1185c254_7grainhotcereal_f_hr.jpg

I also added some butter, the first animal product I've eaten since Saturday night. I haven't had any other animal products yet today, and may not have any. I'm not too concerned about IF today. Doing IF with Vegan was probably too much. I wasn't getting enough calories in the eating window. I then went for a walk and got a bit over 2 miles.  For lunch I had the same veggies I didn't finish the night before, but added two different kinds of olives (Pitted kalamata and some big green olives stuffed with garlic cloves, only 2 of the latter) with some compliant pasta sauce we had. It made the veggies tolerable. I then had some raisins with minimalist peanut butter (made with nothing but peanuts) and some unsweetened applesauce. I mixed those three and ate them with a spoon.

Then I got to work. I want to be discrete as this just happened today, but I got some unpleasant news. My schedule is up in the air again. I won't go into details, but I will be transferring to another hospital and with fewer hours, at least for a couple months. We will still be financially ok, but it's frustrating. The fewer hours are not a punishment, it's just what is available right now at other places. I didn't do anything wrong, but the perception that I did has been generated. My bosses believe in me. It's not wise to give out any more details on the internet. The transition is a challenge and I'm still in the early stages of processing it. It did not escape my notice this trial came in the midst of the fast. As I deal with this spiritually, I get the sense that this is a trial precedes the next step of...something.  I don't know what, but my faith tells me that while this is a bad thing, God will pull good things out of it and it will eventually work to the good of our family. Those who pray, I appreciate your prayers.

• Like 14

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:58 AM, Arkania said:

I felt the same way. Hoping that they learn a bit on communication

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

As I deal with this spiritually, I get the sense that this is a trial precedes the next step of...something.

That is generally how things work.  Praying for you that this situation turns out to be a blessing in the long term.  Will you still be in the same hospital system?

• Like 2

I was trying to find a “cross all the things!” meme of the yellow haired chappie who suffers rangerbrain to show my support of you in a non-denominational way. Google search for “cross all the things” and there are a lot of Jesus references. I feel like you’ve got this.

We all know you to be a quality human bean, trustworthy and encouraging. I hope your workplace can back you up as needed to ‘prove’ it is so.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I felt the same way. Hoping that they learn a bit on communication

They must have learned something, but I hope they can get some coaching at some point.

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

That is generally how things work.  Praying for you that this situation turns out to be a blessing in the long term.  Will you still be in the same hospital system?

Yes, the same local system of hospitals, which is a subset of the big corporation. I'm not moving out of the local system. Unfortunately "Local" involves a hospital which is 50 miles from my house, and I'll be there twice a week for at least a couple of months.

2 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

I was trying to find a “cross all the things!” meme of the yellow haired chappie who suffers rangerbrain to show my support of you in a non-denominational way. Google search for “cross all the things” and there are a lot of Jesus references. I feel like you’ve got this.

We all know you to be a quality human bean, trustworthy and encouraging. I hope your workplace can back you up as needed to ‘prove’ it is so.

Thanks. 

• Like 2

Some more theological/biblical/spiritual reflections:

In addition to all this work stuff happening when I'm in a time of prayer and fasting, I'm also reading through the book of Job in the bible right now. For those unfamiliar with the story, Job is severely tested through no fault of his own because the devil tells God, "He's only faithful cause he has all this good stuff." (Job was very wealthy). God says, ok, you can take his stuff but don't touch him. Job loses everything, possessions and children, and is left with his wife and three servants in one day. He does not curse God. The devil says, well he's still healthy. God says, Ok, you can mess with him but don't kill him. Job breaks out in sores and still does not curse God. Most of the book is taken up with arguing with some friends about whether or not he deserves his misfortune and Job complaining God is being unfair. God eventually shows up, tells the friends they are out of order, and tells Job, I'm God, you're not, I don't have to answer to you. Then Job gets healed and more stuff than he had before. Fortunately I'm not in as bad a position as Job, but the parallels are not lost on me.

Another story that comes to mind is that of Joseph. You may know of him from the musical "Joseph and the Technicolor Dream coat." Joseph was his father's favorite of all his other 10 (later 11) siblings, and never missed an opportunity to rub it in their faces. One day he got sent out to check on them and brought the many colored coat his father had given to him. Many biblical scholars consider it a bit of a dick move to wear that coat out into the field, as it was a further signifier he didn't have to work like they did. Having had enough of his BS, they decide to kill him. The oldest brother Ruben puts a stop to that and convinces the others to just drop Joseph down into a well, intending to come back and save him later when the other brothers aren't looking. While Ruben is away, the other brothers see a band of traveling merchants and sell Joseph to them as a slave. Ruben gets back and freaks out and they tell Jacob (Their dad) Joseph died and showed him the many colored coat covered in animal blood.

Meanwhile Joseph ends up belonging to Potipher, some sort of Egyptian official, and is so good he becomes second in command of the household. Potipher's wife has the hots for Joseph, who always spurns her advances cause it would be wrong. The wife eventually is home alone with Joseph and grabs his garment, and Joseph runs away while the wife is still holding the garment. Mad she didn't get any, when Potipher comes home she lies and said Joseph tried to rape her.

Joseph gets thrown into prison. It isn't long before he's running the prison. He interprets dreams for a couple of Pharaoh's servants, one of whom gets out. Years later Pharaoh has a dream he can't interpret, and the servant tells Pharaoh about Joseph. Jospeh interprets the dream (Famine comin') and is quickly second in command of Egypt. Joseph prepares Egypt for the famine, and people come from everywhere to buy grain. His brothers come, and Joseph trolls them quite hard before eventually telling them who he is. The brothers freak out, thinking they are about to die, but Joseph tells them, "You meant it for Evil, but God meant it for Good."

Now I don't expect to move to Egypt any time soon and start running things, but I do suspect whoever was maligning me at the hospital is unwittingly helping God set me up for something good.

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You are right there next to one of the food capitals of the world, it would be hard for anyone to abstain from eating out.

Today is a day.  About 9 am I got hungry. Not, some-hunger-but-it-will-pass hunger, but ignore-it-and-it-will-become-primal-hunger hunger. I decided not to worry about IF and listen to my body's signal. I made some whole grain cereal:

1185c254_7grainhotcereal_f_hr.jpg

I also added some butter, the first animal product I've eaten since Saturday night. I haven't had any other animal products yet today, and may not have any. I'm not too concerned about IF today. Doing IF with Vegan was probably too much. I wasn't getting enough calories in the eating window. I then went for a walk and got a bit over 2 miles.  For lunch I had the same veggies I didn't finish the night before, but added two different kinds of olives (Pitted kalamata and some big green olives stuffed with garlic cloves, only 2 of the latter) with some compliant pasta sauce we had. It made the veggies tolerable. I then had some raisins with minimalist peanut butter (made with nothing but peanuts) and some unsweetened applesauce. I mixed those three and ate them with a spoon.

Then I got to work. I want to be discrete as this just happened today, but I got some unpleasant news. My schedule is up in the air again. I won't go into details, but I will be transferring to another hospital and with fewer hours, at least for a couple months. We will still be financially ok, but it's frustrating. The fewer hours are not a punishment, it's just what is available right now at other places. I didn't do anything wrong, but the perception that I did has been generated. My bosses believe in me. It's not wise to give out any more details on the internet. The transition is a challenge and I'm still in the early stages of processing it. It did not escape my notice this trial came in the midst of the fast. As I deal with this spiritually, I get the sense that this is a trial precedes the next step of...something.  I don't know what, but my faith tells me that while this is a bad thing, God will pull good things out of it and it will eventually work to the good of our family. Those who pray, I appreciate your prayers.

Praying for you for peace and wisdom

editing to add: Those Bible stories are great reminders to me. I have a tendency to worry. But those stories remind me that I can rest in the promise that God is working out all things for good in my life. In the life of Joseph I see how God changed an arrogant young man into a wise, forgiving leader. Job reminds me that you sometimes have no idea what is  going on- and don't be like his supposed friends

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Doing IF with Vegan was probably too much.

I confess I was wondering about this - IF needs fat in my experience and depending on how your vegan-ing was taking shape, getting enough slow-burning fats can be tricky.

Sorry to hear about your professional upheaval. I hope it all shakes out to a place where you can feel good and stable.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

I confess I was wondering about this - IF needs fat in my experience and depending on how your vegan-ing was taking shape, getting enough slow-burning fats can be tricky.

Sorry to hear about your professional upheaval. I hope it all shakes out to a place where you can feel good and stable.

Thanks.

Well, I got some brisket at lunch, it's a good thing I already decided to eat meat :) I did the NF beginner kettlebell workout as well.

Then as she was coming home from work in the rain, Sra. Tanque drove into a patch of water, hydroplaned, spun and hit the median. She's fine, just a bit sore, but we got to deal with that. The car has already been towed to a body shop and the claim has been made. We went to Chick Fil A for dinner, because we were very hungry by the time we dealt with that and I didn't wan to cook and neither of us wanted to wait that long. The car is probably fixable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

I hope Sra. Tanque is alright. If she's sore today tomorrow will probably be worse. :( 

Really happy she didn't sustain any major injuries though; cars can be replaced.

• Like 1