• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rurik Harrgath

Cry Havoc '19: The Scoundrel Who Spat In Fate's Good Eye

4 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

following the In-and-Out Rule;

a-clockwork-orange-no-time-for-the-old-i

Badass job on the adulting man. I know all about that frugal life and sometimes it can be really hard to see it all laid out on paper but like you said but once you know all the details you can start workin on how to fix it.

• Like 4

Good job on taking a hard look at your budget. It's nice to have guidelines to follow - if you have enough to live on to begin with, having a plan takes a lot of the stress out of finances I think.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

I ran a truly honest budget today. It was not pretty.  Time to find places to cut costs. 

I feel your pain on this one, I'm doing the same thing right now (and it's getting pretty ugly)... Got to be done though.

• Like 2

Rurik you are doing so awesome!!! I love how the new year is looking on you :D

giphy.gif

Alsoooo seriously I don't know if I've ever heard of a better guide to live by than AMAP XD Pure brilliance hahah

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 4:13 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

I feel like photo number 2's  shortcomings could be solved with some dramatic lighting, some beard oil, and better-fitting shorts.

If you need him to have photo number 1's apparent erection, however, you'll have to address that separately.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

More than anything I needed to run the numbers and see where all my money was going because it seemed like I was broke every paycheck.  So now that I know that, I can start to balance and adjust. 

True story.   When I did this, I found out where I was bleeding money and I was able to change it (it was largely random food outings with friends) and ended up getting to a point where I was ADDING to my savings monthly, just on account of knowing what I could potentially save by being mindful.   Awesome side effect?   Cooking at home for cheaper, and shedding 20lbs of fat.   BONUS!

Stick with it!  It's soooooooo worth it.

• Like 5

On 1/9/2019 at 11:13 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

giphy.gif

Somehow this gif and your scoundrel theme brought to my mind an ol' videogame by the name of "Mercenaries" and its main protagonist:

Mercenaries_2_cover_art.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

mercenaries.jpg

You know, in case you were looking for a videogame to fool around with or a future challenge theme... ;)

• Like 5

Challenge Journal:  January 11th, 2019.

So I needed a new hoodie, and I wanted to reward myself to sticking to my challenge goals like duct tape lately...

Plus it's #FlagNorFailFriday (honoring Rob and Dana Lynn Bailey's apparel company) so I pulled the trigger on this deadly Ranger-friendly hoodie.  Bonus points for applying my In-and-Out principle of internally generating the funds before pulling the trigger!  :D

CRACKIN’ SKULLS & CHAININ’ COMBOS  "A delicate balancing act of fuel and activity."  [+2 STR, DEX, STA, CON]

• The Mindful Art of Nutritional Alchemy™:   1906  / 2170 cals. 
  • MyFitnessPal tracking streak:    15   days
  • 5 CrossFit classes per week:    [Challenge Total:  ☐☐☐☐]

I DON'T BELIEVE IN ANYTHING...  "Dump Stat my Charisma until I’m an Extrovert.”  [+5 CHA]

• Partake of 4 sessions of “Be Happy” per week:  ☑☑☑
  • Social activity 2 times/week: 
  • Moment of Positivity shared (per update): 

...I'M JUST HERE FOR THE VIOLENCE  A Self-Improvement Junkie.  [+2 WIS]

• Post a daily challenge update 4 of 7 days/week:  ☑☑
  • Weekly weigh-in:    212lbs 

Ongoing To-Do mini-quests…

• Read:  [In ProgressKings of the Wyld, Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braid,You Are A Badass, Remember your N.U.T.S.
  • Play:   Game out - played a bunch of Overwatch last night!
  • Play:  Hit the slopes snowboarding!
  • Write:  Share one self-authored poem.
  • Currency:  [0g]  Sell 250g worth of clutter.
  • Currency:  [Pending]  2-week shopping ban.
  • Test:  CrossFit benchmark metric [TBA]

Mini-challenge goals...

• Relax Feat:   Self-care date.
  • Distance Feat:  5km ruck.
  • Social Feat:  Introduce myself to every unfamiliar member at my gym this week  [Total:   2_ ]

On 1/10/2019 at 2:00 AM, Volki said:

a-clockwork-orange-no-time-for-the-old-i

Badass job on the adulting man. I know all about that frugal life and sometimes it can be really hard to see it all laid out on paper but like you said but once you know all the details you can start workin on how to fix it.

On 1/10/2019 at 4:18 AM, Salinger said:

Good job man, you seem to be doing really well <3 budgeting is hard!!! xx

On 1/10/2019 at 8:31 AM, DaemonCorax said:

Good job on taking a hard look at your budget. It's nice to have guidelines to follow - if you have enough to live on to begin with, having a plan takes a lot of the stress out of finances I think.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:52 AM, iatetheyeti said:

I feel your pain on this one, I'm doing the same thing right now (and it's getting pretty ugly)... Got to be done though.

20 hours ago, Starpuck said:

True story.   When I did this, I found out where I was bleeding money and I was able to change it (it was largely random food outings with friends) and ended up getting to a point where I was ADDING to my savings monthly, just on account of knowing what I could potentially save by being mindful.   Awesome side effect?   Cooking at home for cheaper, and shedding 20lbs of fat.   BONUS!

Stick with it!  It's soooooooo worth it.

Frustrating because the house is so damn expensive on a single income, then add my truck and various utilities and insurances on top and I've come to find that being an adult is prohibitively expensive.  But I've managed to pinch a few pennies by adjusting internet plans and vehicle insurance that ought to help.  Plus now that I know exactly what I'm dealing with I can adjust to an even more frugally lifestyle - which sucks, but it's not like I was a major drinking or social eater to begin with.

Just means my future date ideas will be of the 'budget' nature.  Thank good it's skating season!  haha

On 1/10/2019 at 10:28 AM, Raxie said:

Rurik you are doing so awesome!!! I love how the new year is looking on you :D

Alsoooo seriously I don't know if I've ever heard of a better guide to live by than AMAP XD Pure brilliance hahah

original.gif

20 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

I feel like photo number 2's  shortcomings could be solved with some dramatic lighting, some beard oil, and better-fitting shorts.

If you need him to have photo number 1's apparent erection, however, you'll have to address that separately.

Not an erection!  Just ranger panties worn without underwear, I'm guessing - which is almost as bad!

9 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Somehow this gif and your scoundrel theme brought to my mind an ol' videogame by the name of "Mercenaries" and its main protagonist:

mercenaries.jpg

You know, in case you were looking for a videogame to fool around with or a future challenge theme... ;)

We do bear a certain uncanny resemblance... I need to get me one of those motorbikes with the wide rim track and the machine guns!

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

If you do not recreate the picture I  that hoodie add when yours comes in I will be sad.

Challenge accepted, Ser.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Not an erection!  Just ranger panties worn without underwear, I'm guessing - which is almost as bad!

Bahahahahahahahaha. Omigoodness. I've head horrible things about what happens if you DO wear underwear (at least in Georgia). So.....

(FWIW, married to a Ranger. Ranger panties, failing BDUs, and bad MREs are frequently made light of in my house.)

• Like 4

On 1/9/2019 at 10:21 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

for something new to come in, I have to generate the cash from within

As a person currently going through decluttering, I love this idea. Also doing the budget/self-audit thing is hard, so good job! 

• Like 1

Challenge Journal:  January 11th, 2019.

So Busy weekend!  Re-covered my couch in new fabric so that it now looks like a more stately James Bond version of its former collegiate self.  New throw pillows too!  Bought an Ikea dining room table second handle which will be picked up next weekend.  Exciting things happening around Rurikshof.  B)  Let's celebrate with some #SigmundsdottirSunday... well, her back and Brooke Ence's front.

Sara-Brooke.png

CRACKIN’ SKULLS & CHAININ’ COMBOS  "A delicate balancing act of fuel and activity."  [+2 STR, DEX, STA, CON]

• The Mindful Art of Nutritional Alchemy™:   2958  / 2170 cals. 
  • MyFitnessPal tracking streak:    17   days
  • 5 CrossFit classes per week:    [Challenge Total:  ☐☐☐]

I DON'T BELIEVE IN ANYTHING...  "Dump Stat my Charisma until I’m an Extrovert.”  [+5 CHA]

• Partake of 4 sessions of “Be Happy” per week:  ☑☑☑

• Post a daily challenge update 4 of 7 days/week:  ☑☑
  • Weekly weigh-in:    208lbs 

• Read:  [In ProgressKings of the Wyld, Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braid,You Are A Badass, Remember your N.U.T.S.
  • Currency:  [0g]  Sell 250g worth of clutter.
  • Test:  CrossFit benchmark metric [TBA]

Mini-challenge goals...

• Social Feat:  Introduce myself to every unfamiliar member at my gym this week  [Total:   4_ ]

On 1/11/2019 at 4:03 PM, DaemonCorax said:

Bahahahahahahahaha. Omigoodness. I've head horrible things about what happens if you DO wear underwear (at least in Georgia). So.....

(FWIW, married to a Ranger. Ranger panties, failing BDUs, and bad MREs are frequently made light of in my house.)

I feel like I can admit to you that I'm definitely the guy who wore Ranger panties on PT without underwear beneath during sit-ups and you'll know what a bastard I am to my friends.  ;) Lucky gal married to a Ranger, and lucky dude married to our DaemonCorax! 

On 1/11/2019 at 9:20 PM, ladyofthebog said:

late to the party but here! love your challenge as always but also all this momoa is good for my, erhm, *health*

98de7131fa7c0ba77db39fa5b1bce64c.gif

Oops.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:00 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

You think he’ll wear the ranger panties or the baggies?

I thought we were talking about the hoodie... but I'm still game to model some silkies! haha

On 1/12/2019 at 5:25 AM, Big_Show said:

That hoodie looks awesome!

Thanks, buddy!  Nice to see you around again!

7 hours ago, Kharissandra said:

As a person currently going through decluttering, I love this idea. Also doing the budget/self-audit thing is hard, so good job! 

I'm a compulsive declutterer.  Purging brings me great joy, and so does the stack of items beside my couch I'll be listing for sale this week!

6 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hope you are kicking Sundays butt :) x

You know it, grrrrrl.  ;)

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Play:   Game out - played a bunch of Overwatch last night!

Ooo, who's your favorite character to play?  I've started playing again after not for a long time... I still have no idea how the hamster works???  I've been doing a lot of Capture the Flag as Lucio, that's heckin' fun!  (I like S76 and Junkrat too, oh, and Mei!)

• Like 1

Not enough time for a proper update (cuz bed = priority even over challenge updates!) but no fear, for I shall return tomorrow for #MomoaTuesday!

12 hours ago, shaar said:

Ooo, who's your favorite character to play?  I've started playing again after not for a long time... I still have no idea how the hamster works???  I've been doing a lot of Capture the Flag as Lucio, that's heckin' fun!  (I like S76 and Junkrat too, oh, and Mei!)

Mostly Soldier 76, Junkrat, and a little Orisa/Reinhardt when my team is too DERPY to run a tank.  I like to switch up playstyles to stave off boredom!  Still working on the hamster too haha

• Like 4

Challenge Journal:  January 15th, 2019.

Happy belated #MomoaMondayTuesday!

Jason-Momoa-Fitness-jason-momoa-39458545

So one of my goals this challenge was to follow the In&Out Principle, whereby I can only purchase new superfluous objects/items by purging/selling old ones.  Another was to really dial in my nutrition tracking and get back into a weekly weigh-in for progress reporting.  With that in mind, I returned some things to Walmart and picked up a digital scale.

What followed was most upsetting.

My whole Nerd Fitness career I've been using the same crappy $5 analog scale.  It guided me from 240ish lbs down to 185lbs and back to 220lbs and now to the realm of 208lbs on my path back down to sub-200 bodyweight.  However, judging by Camp Nerd Fitness' powerlifting competition when I came in about 16lbs heavier than I expected, and my gym's weightlifting meet when I was similarly surprised, I've determined that thing was a piece of garbage and tossed it today.  What this really means is that I've been misreporting my weight for about 4+ years haha!

tumblr_pasykbSkcE1s3c57po2_r1_500.gif

Whichever device is truly accurate, even weighing my cat resulted in a 2+ lb difference after carefully zeroing my old scale.  It now occupies my garbage box, and I will be going by the new digital scale - no matter how disconcerting and frankly downright demoralizing the report was.  See my Challenge update below for results because I simply cannot post it twice.

Another update:  I sold two pairs of lululemon shorts on Facebook Marketplace to a gentleman from Florida for a cool sum but forgot to factor in Paypal's rates and extra shipping so I ended up making exactly what I listed them for in USD as CAD.  Not the end of the world, but a good lesson for my foray into online selling.  Also I got a nice return on my health benefits spending account; these payed for my new hoodie, dining room table, and an extra payment on my credit card.  Now to sell a couple more items to pay for my Ikea shelving unit this weekend.  Minimalism can be fun, folks!

• The Mindful Art of Nutritional Alchemy™:   1970  / 2170 cals. 
  • MyFitnessPal tracking streak:    20   days
  • 5 CrossFit classes per week:    [Challenge Total:  ☐☐☐]

• Partake of 4 sessions of “Be Happy” per week: 

• Post a daily challenge update 4 of 7 days/week:  ☐☐
  • Weekly weigh-in:    224.3 lbs 

• Currency:  [90g]  Sell 250g worth of clutter.
  • Test:  CrossFit benchmark metric [TBA]  See below!

Mini-challenge goals...

• Social Feat:  Introduce myself to every unfamiliar member at my gym this week  [Total:   5_ ]
  • Speed Feat:  Complete a CrossFit benchmark WOD for time.
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

What followed was most upsetting.

My whole Nerd Fitness career I've been using the same crappy $5 analog scale.  It guided me from 240ish lbs down to 185lbs and back to 220lbs and now to the realm of 208lbs on my path back down to sub-200 bodyweight.  However, judging by Camp Nerd Fitness' powerlifting competition when I came in about 16lbs heavier than I expected, and my gym's weightlifting meet when I was similarly surprised, I've determined that thing was a piece of garbage and tossed it today.  What this really means is that I've been misreporting my weight for about 4+ years haha!

Totally feel you there, I know for a fact my scale shows me something like 4kg lighter than I actually am, but you know how after a certain point you should trust the mirror more than the scale? It's kinda similar, but I say it doesn't matter what your weight really is, only that you use the same scale to measure its changes. You can go through a bunch of scales in the same day and get various results anyway.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

even weighing my cat resulted in a 2+ lb difference

Thank you for making me laugh. Were you weighing you+cat or trying to get cat to stand in the middle of the scale. Tehe!

My solution to this has been simple: I refuse to own a scale. Right now I get weighed once a months at my Dr's appointment. Monday was a shock. I gained 7 lbs last month! The whole "gain a pound a week" thing is nonsense. Weight gain in pregnancy is highly nonlinear. But oh man I'm so glad I don't own a scale right now. I can still see my ribs and hips despite being 18 lbs heavier. Totally dissociative and weird! On the other hand, I think sometime soon we're gonna strap the 10L water bladder to MFH's belly and see how well he climbs! LOL.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2019 at 1:32 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

original.gif

1Jc9.gif

SO MANY MOMOA HUGS SO LITTLE TIME

14 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

What this really means is that I've been misreporting my weight for about 4+ years haha!

Don't let this get you down! You felt great at whatever weight you felt great at, and even if the old scale was off by x pounds it was consistently off, so you still lost the same amount of weight that you tracked that you did!  I know with lifting and all it makes a difference bc of %BW and such but the past is the past, just look forward now and you will totally kill it just like you have before! 

• Like 3