TODO 2019 PvP [Jan 1 - Dec 29]

7 hours ago, Tobbe said:

I'm counting on you all to check my work so that I don't mess anything up!

Will do. Tell us if the burden becomes too big. ;)

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

On 1/1/2019 at 6:29 PM, Tobbe said:

And task number 56 in the list is

Write something in computer code

I know very little about coding, other than some Basic which we needed to operate a computer back in the C:\DOS days (did I just date myself?) and a little bit of HTML, so decided to try and learn some Java Script.  I found a website called Learn JavaScript and have done the first 4 tutorials.  I was able to create my own line of code to show today's date.

Spoiler

var Array = []
var Year = 2019
var Month = 01
var Day = 02
Array.push(Year)
Array.push(Month)
Array.push(Day)
console.log("Today is "+Array[0]+"/"+Array[1]+"/"+Array[2])

The output for this line of code is "Today is 2019/1/2"

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I know very little about coding, other than some Basic which we needed to operate a computer back in the C:\DOS days (did I just date myself?) and a little bit of HTML, so decided to try and learn some Java Script.  I found a website called Learn JavaScript and have done the first 4 tutorials.  I was able to create my own line of code to show today's date.

Hide contents

var Array = []
var Year = 2019
var Month = 01
var Day = 02
Array.push(Year)
Array.push(Month)
Array.push(Day)

This makes me so happy Love Eyes

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Reveal hidden contents

var Array = []
var Year = 2019
var Month = 01
var Day = 02
Array.push(Year)
Array.push(Month)
Array.push(Day)

I might be from a more recent decade but I feel the same way when the IS engineers start talking about Python so I finally decided to make a goal in the upcoming challenge

• Like 2

Battle Log | Current Challenge | Instagram

"...You must always keep the star in your heart
shining strong to defeat the dark and evil souls." - Queen Serenity

12 minutes ago, Doe said:

I might be from a more recent decade but I feel the same way when the IS engineers start talking about Python so I finally decided to make a goal in the upcoming challenge

Report in here before the week ends and you'll earn sweet, sweet, points in the challenge ;)  

• Like 1

Added a table to keep track of the score to the bottom of the post with The List

Right now it looks like this

Player Completed (1p) Text (2p) Photo (2p) Video (3p) Vlog (5p) Random (5p) Star Total score
Rubik'sCat 62 61           62 2
Arkania 56         56   6
JulietKitsch 95 95 95         5
WhiteGhost 56 56       56   8

I hope you understand what the headings mean, and how the score keeping works :)  If not, just ask and I'll try to explain!

• Like 1

I have some probably dumb questions:

1. There's more than 52 things on this list, so the goal isn't to do all the things on the lists just a lot of them? (that'd be good since I don't have access to some of these things...like  grandparents, etc.)
  2. Do we try to do the same thing on a given week and tackle some other task?
  3. Are you still accepting submissions for new ideas? 

Battle Log | Current Challenge | Instagram

"...You must always keep the star in your heart
shining strong to defeat the dark and evil souls." - Queen Serenity

1 minute ago, Doe said:

There's more than 52 things on this list, so the goal isn't to do all the things on the lists just a lot of them? (that'd be good since I don't have access to some of these things...like  grandparents, etc.)

You're exactly right :)  There are more than 52 items to let everyone choose what works for them. In fact, if you read the rules closely, you'll see that you're allowed to do the same task twice, so if you wanted to you could get away with just doing 26 of the tasks (which is just a little more than one fourth of all the tasks listed) if you do all of them twice :)  I hope everyone can find at least 26 tasks that they are able to do!

3 minutes ago, Doe said:

Do we try to do the same thing on a given week and tackle some other task?

You are free to pick any task you like, but I thought it would be more fun if as many of us as possible did the same thing, that's why you get extra points for doing the randomly selected TODO task of the week (this week's task is task number 56, "Write something in computer code").

5 minutes ago, Doe said:

Are you still accepting submissions for new ideas?

As the challenge has already started, I'd prefer not to add additional tasks. But if a majority of the other players think it's fine to add more tasks I'll do it :) 

Thanks for your questions, I'm sure others will appreciate the questions/answers too! Thumbs Up

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Rubik'sCat said:

Hi, just a typo on the front page. I've done #61 and #62 (memorize a quote and 5 foreign words).

Thanks. I've updated the table now :) 

6 hours ago, Rubik'sCat said:

I haven't written any computer code yet. 

Since I want us all to do this challenge the entire year, I wrote in the rules that you would only get points for at most two tasks per week. So I'd suggest waiting with doing (or at least reporting ;)) the code until next week (if you want to do it at all - no need if you don't feel like it)

Wait, only 2 activities per week will award points? I haven't got that. Perhaps you should add some kind of habit activity that keeps people motivated to do it. For example, if I don't hit the snooze once is good, but doing it only once is useless. 

However, "Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten". Such a good quote, often we think that just because we know or understand something, it is  easy to do. The truth often is way more harsh that we think, and bad experiences are fundamental for learning. Is like a child told thwt the fire burn. He won't believe you, he need to feel the pain to remember it. 

Give my points :P

Things that you decide you want to do long term can be added to your own challenge.  The point of this PVP is to get us trying new things and expanding out of our comfort zones :)   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

7 hours ago, Pride said:

Wait, only 2 activities per week will award points? I haven't got that.

It's all in the rules section of the first post ;)  

7 hours ago, Pride said:

However, "Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten". Such a good quote, often we think that just because we know or understand something, it is  easy to do. The truth often is way more harsh that we think, and bad experiences are fundamental for learning. Is like a child told thwt the fire burn. He won't believe you, he need to feel the pain to remember it. 

Give my points :P

Just making sure; Are you claiming points for TODO #62 "Memorize a quote"?

On 1/1/2019 at 10:08 PM, Arkania said:

Aaaaand done!

I think it was ok. It was a bit.... exhausting to read, I am not sure if I like his style of writing but he did write some interesting things about some countries and places he visited. I like travel reports so I did like the book but I am not sure if I would buy another one from him (I already did before this book so I am curious if it is also that somehow exhausting).

• Like 2

I just thought of something :dread:  If I perform a random task from the list (1 point) on Sunday and then the next day it randomly becomes the "challenge of the week" (5 points), that would be 4 points that I missed out on, completely by accident. The chances of that happening are slim but I think it would be amusing if it did happen by happenstance. 

I am not at all planning to play the clock 'till the last second but...

... at what time does this end tomorrow? :angel: (Sweden Time Zone - UTC+1?)

I've failed to find it in the previous posts but may very well have missed it.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

"use strict";

let name = Awesome Guy;
alert(`Thanks, ${name}! You're the best!`);

And this buggy message, ladies and gentlemen, is why I need all that time... (for the record, I've tried to add some JavaScript into the proper tags, but failed, and when I've edited the message to add something like this it... disappeared. I'm keeping it as a testament to my not-readiness.)

EDIT: And if you needed further evidence, the fact that it is now working again with still unworking code in the tags is it. ;)

Thanks! So, two quotes away from the Truth...

Also, "dedicated javascript page thingy"?

2 hours ago, Jean said:

Also, "dedicated javascript page thingy"?

Hehe, yep, that's the technical term for it, I promise! :D :P  

I just wasn't sure what to call those pages that let you write some html, css and JavaScript and run it. There are a few options. The most popular I think are http://codepen.io, http://jsfiddle.net and http://jsbin.com