TODO 2019 PvP [Jan 1 - Dec 29]

Tonight we made one of my favorite foods from when I was a kid. I used to request this for my birthday. It's homemade flatbread wraps with avocado crema, thick pieces of deli ham, shredded cheese and vegetables. I remember mom and dad working together. Dad rolled the flat breads out with the rolling pin, and mom fried them in a dry cast iron skillet. Then she would store them wrapped in a kitchen towel, so that they were still warm and soft when we ate them. Today I made them all on my own. It was fun, but took a lot of time :) It was all worth it in the end though, because everyone loved them! The veggies we used today were the exact same that mom always served; iceberg lettuce, red bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumber and raw yellow union. The avocado crema is just avocado, sour cream (or creme fraiche), garlic, salt and pepper all mixed together until perfectly smooth.

20190324_175353.jpg.f0160759b007eed64991504830d4047b.jpg

20190324_184307.jpg.16d2a214e8f1091db65b26156c7cdc1f.jpg

• Like 2
On 3/18/2019 at 7:30 AM, Tobbe said:

#98 Cook a meal you used to eat when you were a kid

I grew up as the 5th of 10 children, so by the time I was 10 years old or so, my mom was done with trying to come up with meals that everyone was willing to eat.  Instead, she would buy ingredients and frozen foodstuffs and we would just heat up or cook what we want.  Because of this, most of the foods I grew up on, were things that a child could easily prepare alone, such a burritos, frozen meat pies, frozen pizza, hot dogs, ramen noodles, etc..  I thought about making some of those but with fresh ingredients (I can't buy the frozen stuff here) but instead decided to go with a favorite from when I was kid that is super easy to make: Cheese Toast  :)  As I kid I usually had it with canned tomato soup but since I can't get that here I just went with the toast.

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

16 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Challenge 13

3497 views ->  https://www.random.org/integers/?num=98&min=1&max=98&col=10&base=10&format=plain&rnd=id.3497 -> #8

#8 Sit in a café and watch people

That's funny :D

I randomed that as my personal pvp.

Ok, then I have to take another one.

Just now, Tobbe said:

Why not give yourself a break and kill two birds with one stone here? :) 

Oh, that works?

(You just want to catch up on my first place :D )

5 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

As in grilled cheese sandwich? Or really just toasted bread with cheese on top?

Bread with cheese on top cooked in a toaster oven :) 

• Like 2

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 3/19/2019 at 12:21 AM, Arkania said:

Oh an my personal challenge this week is:

Sell something you don't use anymore

Nope, didn't do that. Didn't have time for that, so it will go back in the "pot" and I can random it again.

On 3/18/2019 at 12:30 AM, Tobbe said:

Challenge 12

3394 views ->  https://www.random.org/integers/?num=98&min=1&max=98&col=10&base=10&format=plain&rnd=id.3394 -> #98

The very last TODO challenge in the list was randomly selected today!

#98 Cook a meal you used to eat when you were a kid

Yes, did it!

The first thing that came to my mind was "Brotzeit" (ehm breadtime :D ). When I was a kid, I was a lot at my grandma's house because my mom was a single parent and self-employed and when she came from work in the evening we had dinner at my grandma's and that was always bread with something.

When I started dieting I cut the bread out of my normal diet so this was very great for me to eat again and I may eat it more often for dinner from now on.

I love bread.

This time it was with Gouda cheese, vegetarian lyoner sausage and some strawberries and a pepper sausage. It seems like nothing and is not very beautiful, but it was amazing.

IMG_20190320_104737.thumb.jpg.c08f206571ebdee762ce9776819df01d.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Arkania said:

This time it was with Gouda cheese, vegetarian lyoner sausage and some strawberries and a pepper sausage.

Hrmm, not sure if that counts as "cooking" :P  That sausage looks like what we called "berlinerkorv", literary "Berliner sausage" :) A very fatty, tasteless, deli sausage that was very common when I was a kid. Haven't eaten it in ages! 

• Like 1

Oh and I chose "Bake a new recipe" for my personal pvp this week ;)

• Like 1

Update on my planting challenge!

This is the cress

20190325_135025.jpg.0c16807e35bf38efd3a29832ada74a82.jpg

And here I've used almost half of it on a flatbread with cream cheese, deli ham, cucumber and bell pepper (paprika)

20190325_141321.jpg.c2666a21452f43d0db6df1b1ed53f9d0.jpg

Very tasty! :) I'd call this experiment a great success! Lab tube I ate the rest of the cress yesterday actually, but didn't take a photo of that... So time for another batch :) 

• Like 2
On 3/24/2019 at 11:49 PM, Tobbe said:

Challenge 13

3497 views ->  https://www.random.org/integers/?num=98&min=1&max=98&col=10&base=10&format=plain&rnd=id.3497 -> #8

#8 Sit in a café and watch people

I was going grocery shopping this past Friday, and I knew they had a café in the same mall as the grocery store. So I brought my computer and sat in the café to people-watch and to get some work done before doing the grocery shopping. I've walked past this café a lot of times, and I've always wondered if they actually had any customers at all... To me it just feels weird to got out to a (very small) shopping mall to sit in a café. I mean, I can understand going in to town to sit in a café. Of if it's a huge shopping mall, and you need a break in the middle of all the shopping. But this is a small mall (maybe 10-15 stores) out in the suburbs... But while I sat there I actually saw more people than I would have guessed come and go. It was never nowhere full in the café, but as I said. A lot more people than I would have ever guessed!

20190329_164640.jpg.b68f7d057648c83e7817276f1add354a.jpg

20190329_173442.jpg.114daab8b47bc4e70d64f4dea435aec5.jpg

All in all I sat there for maybe an hour before I got up and went to do my shopping.

• Like 2

I went to a Starbucks near my house to watch people.  Unfortunately, when I got there they couldn't get their registers to connect to the internet so they couldn't take any orders.  After waiting to see if they could get online again (they couldn't) I skipped the coffee shop and went to the park to people watch instead.  The people there weren't doing much interesting (just walking around the park) but apparently it was interesting for them to watch a foreigner sitting in the park. I felt like an animal in the zoo, with every single person who walked by looking at me, and many of them commenting "oh, look, there is a foreigner here".

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

Challenge 14

3690 views ->  https://www.random.org/integers/?num=98&min=1&max=98&col=10&base=10&format=plain&rnd=id.3690 -> #86

#86 Offer up your seat on the bus to someone else

The first randomized number this week was 8, same as last week. What are the odds? So I had to pick the second one, #86.

• Like 1

I had some time between a training and  a show on Thursday so I went to people watch at a nearby mall. It's in downtown SF and lots of people were using it as a corridor to get out of the rain or maybe avoid the homeless folks.. Lots of women doing birthday shopping that day with bags of gucci, nordstroms, etc. Realized it was their birthday because they had tiaras on "Dirty 30"  "Birthday Queen", etc. (is this a trend for adults I missed?)  I never realized how fancy of a mall it was trying to be: Swarvoski , Tiffany, Bloomingdales.  

Unfortunately, I do believe Swarvoski employee called security on me. I was sitting just outside that store at a bench, next a lot of other people. Security didn't give me a hard time, just asked what I was up to and saw my work badge then left at that.  Either that employee doesn't know what a suspicious character is or she thought I was a high-end thief "casing the joint"

Her glares got to me so headed to the food court next. The pretzel joint was really popular. Lots of tourist families (3 who asked me for directions, guess I must look nice to some!). There's not a lot of seating at this mall I thought.  Most of it was "assigned", you needed to be eating the food of the restaruant it was near.  Later my boyfriend told me that there's more seating further away (he's worked there as an armed guard)

• Like 1

Battle Log | Current Challenge | Instagram

"...You must always keep the star in your heart
shining strong to defeat the dark and evil souls." - Queen Serenity

21 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Challenge 14

3690 views ->  https://www.random.org/integers/?num=98&min=1&max=98&col=10&base=10&format=plain&rnd=id.3690 -> #86

#86 Offer up your seat on the bus to someone else

The first randomized number this week was 8, same as last week. What are the odds? So I had to pick the second one, #86.

I think I will have to give this one a pass :(   I never take the bus. In fact, the closest bus stop is 5 km (3 miles) from where I live... So the few times I do leave home I take the car. And even if I did drive/walk/bike to that bus stop and took the bus I wouldn't have to give up my seat to anyone else because the bus is never ful. From what I've seen the average passenger count is like ten people... So unless some of you have any creative ideas for me this one will be a hard one for me to complete Thinking

• Like 1

I have the opposite situation.  I take public transportation all the time, but it is so crowded that sometimes that the chivalrous move would be to get off the bus/train so that another person can fit on.  Offering up a seat is almost impossible because you always have 3-4 people anxiously eyeing every seat, ready to charge in as soon the person hints at possibly vacating it.  Assuming I could get a seat in the first place, which is unlikely...

Level 2 Ninja

35 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

the chivalrous move would be to get off the bus/train so that another person can fit on.

That would totally count as completing the challenge!

Maybe the challenge should have been worded along the lines of "Offering up your spot on any kind of public transportation to someone else".

Or if you want to make it even more about the chivalrous act, then maybe you could help someone (a small child, an elderly person, etc) get on the public transport in the first place. It's not always easy to squeeze in through the doors if it's really crowded!

• Like 2