Rangers Gonna Ranger: A New Year Means A New Adventure...

Rurik Harrgath

For distance, I'd like to set a step goal (especially with going back to school this week, both as a teacher and a student) but I don't own a pedometer, so I'm thinking about a tally mark system of how many times I'm on my feet. "Leaning on my front podium thingy and not moving" will count as sitting because I tend to do that a lot when it'd look unprofessional to sit but I'm just hanging out to observe the whole room for a second :) With a goal of... let's start with 10 tally marks during the workday (4 classes) and increase if that's super easy, which I think it normally would be for sure but these first days are always quieter than normal because we're doing silly icebreaker type stuff.

For social, I've already posted my introduction thread in my online grad school class. I'm going to talk to at least three people in that class (professor included, since I'm brand new to the program and want to make a good impression!) this week, since I'd otherwise have a tendency to just sit in my own corner and turn in work without ever saying anything I didn't absolutely have to.

• Like 1

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece Keeps Trudging

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

OK - so my distance feat will have to be put on hold for this week.  I'm in a lot of pain and not much can be done about it other than meds.  

Social Feat: If I'm at home I'll spend time here supporting my fellow nerds.  If I feel good enough to get out to work I'll reach out to the new group that I am going to be working with and make plans to meet the new folks.  

• Like 1

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Embrace the Neurotic

13 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

1.  You might have the coolest gym ever.  I really want to see what this CrossFit coffee house looks like!  I've seen pictures of CrossFit Belltown's whisky lounge and always thought a pre/post-WOD social place would be niffty! 

2.  I tweaked the spreadsheet, should work now.  Just a done/done as you complete this weeks two Feats is fine!

Thanks! I didn't go in yesterday but when I do, I'll try and get some pictures. 

• Like 2

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

Relax Feat: done!

We went for a last-minute wellness session (sauna, jacuzzi, hammam, etc.).

Also tied in perfectly with my current challenge of getting more quality time with the missus. :)

Distance Feat:

Instead of aiming for 8K+ steps on average each day, I'll aim for 10K+ steps.

I've also scheduled a doctor's appointment on Friday. Even though it's on the way to work, I'll make an extra effort to go on foot instead. That'll be 2 km there and 2 km back.

Social Feat:

Our yearly department lunch (with 150+ people present) is on Friday. I'll make an effort to get to know a couple of colleagues I don't know or don't usually talk to often. If possible, I'll sit at a table that doesn't consist of the closest colleagues.

• Like 1

My character: Ranger TimovieMan

Active challenges: TimovieMan becomes a Time Lord

Older challenges and threads: TimovieMan on the Road to AwesomeDad™ - Pt. IIIPt. IIPt. I | TimovieMan's Daily Struggles on the Road

Weight loss goal: 35+ kg (80 pounds): 47% completed

10 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Thanks! I didn't go in yesterday but when I do, I'll try and get some pictures. 

Yes please!  That would be splendid.  :D

• Like 2

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Distance Feat:  Pick up my GoRuck pack, load it full of stones, and go out with some angry music (likely featuring Rob Bailey and the Hustle Standard and/or Amon Amarth, since we're talking playlists lately!) for a 5km ruck since I haven't done that in ages.

Social Feat:  In having spoken with a couple of gym friends lately, I've realized that even though I'm usually fairly outgoing and friendly, I'm terrible at introducing myself to people I don't know at my CrossFit gym.  So I'm going to alternate 10am/noon classes for the rest of the week and make sure I introduce myself and say hi to every. single. person I haven't met before!  +CHA level up!

Super excited about both of these goals this week!

• Like 6

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

For distance I will hit my 10k step count every day, even when I am not walking to work and back, aka on off days/weekend days.
And for social I already talked the beloved firstborn into possibly going for a walk with me on those days, maybe my best friend, we'll see. Problems are easier solved when walking and talking, aren't they?

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk

Adjusting social feat: prioritizing time with my hubby. Possibly enlist loved ones into round out my distance feat.

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Distance feat: I am aiming for a distance of 15 miles this week.

Social feat: I'd say phone every therapist in my area but it is already part of my 4 week challenge, is that cheating? At least I'd get to cross that off in the first week and don't have to think about it anymore.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Inazea said:

Social feat: I'd say phone every therapist in my area but it is already part of my 4 week challenge, is that cheating? At least I'd get to cross that off in the first week and don't have to think about it anymore.

If the mini-challenge feat makes you accomplish your goal THIS week instead of "sometime" this challenge, I would say it counts!  Quantifiable and a deadline... sounds like the key to success for me!  Good luck finding a therapist that you feel comfortable with too!  :)

• Like 3

Ok 

distance challenge was accomplished.  a very snowy 10.2 mile walk/hike last night.

I procrastinated setting a social challenge & I have thought about what i would like it to be.

but given that most of the week has passed it probably needs maintained for next week and better if during the rest of the 4 week challenge.

I notice that when it comes to ME.  I tend to either Obsess and do it too much or not to do it at all.

this is perhaps good when your trying to do big feats.

its less of a good idea when making friends though... and generally people appreciate small, sincere interest regularly than being a topic of obsession or utterly ignored.

THIS forum, is an important part of maintaining my motivation to exercise and leaving it for a few months last year really set me back.

so as a Social Quest;

I want to post regularly but not constantly (2-4 a week)* and following a small group of people that I find interesting and that have taken their time to encourage me.

its only right to Give back.  

I want to check on them (2-4 a week).

and all this adknowledges that one will need to check 2-3 times a day to read answers and answer questions.

* with the exception THAT if I think one of my friends need a little extra support.  I'll try to be there for them.

• Like 4

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

I'm a little late to the party but I'm in!

Retroactive week zero:

• Relax Feat: Tomorrow I will give myself a face mask.
  • Driver of my first challenge: Keep on keepin' on! I'm in a really good place in my life and my main focus is to maintain this and the happiness I've achieved.

Week One:

• Distance Feat: Accumulate 2 miles of outdoor walking this week (this is far less than my typical ~7 miles but IT'S 25 DEGREES OUT RIGHT NOW AHHHH)
  • Social Feat: Instead of working through lunch, catch up with a coworker or two one day.
  • Like 1

Did my distance feat today, got 2 miles and change in.

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Trips to the park done everyday with my kids so far.
Distance is a problem with the sore knee and lower than anticipated levels of fitness.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

• Social Feat:  Introduce myself to every unfamiliar member at my gym this week  [Total:   2_ ]

I should really call it 1.5 because only one introduction was of my own volition; the other was the individual's mom, but I'm still counting.  I've missed two prime opportunities already so I might extend this goal through the mini-challenge as an extended social goal because it's something I truly want to make an effort on.  Still one or two more CrossFit classes this week to wrack up a higher score!

• Like 3

Feat update!

Distance feat was 20 000 steps/day on average: reality was closer to 16 000. Still pretty happy with it and have some sweet new winter boots that are nice and light and walkable, and oh yeah, RED :love-struck:

Social feat, group dinner without partaking in alcohol, was successful! And fun! And I woke up the next day (today) feeling good too! 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Rurik Harrgath said:
  • Social Feat:  Introduce myself to every unfamiliar member at my gym this week  [Total:   2_ ]

I should really call it 1.5 because only one introduction was of my own volition; the other was the individual's mom, but I'm still counting.  I've missed two prime opportunities already so I might extend this goal through the mini-challenge as an extended social goal because it's something I truly want to make an effort on.  Still one or two more CrossFit classes this week to wrack up a higher score!

Moms totally count!!

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, TiogaGirl said:

Moms totally count!!

I worded that poorly... what I mean was, the individual's mother introduced me to her daughter, rather than I taking the first step!  So doesn't count towards the spirit of my goal, but still me making an effort to be present for the social interaction!  Not that the individual didn't count because she was a mother!  face-with-tears-of-joy_1f602.png

• Haha 2

On 1/7/2019 at 10:45 PM, alexifer said:

Distance Feat: My day job is a lot of bum sitting. I’m going to aim for 250 steps every hour for at least 5 of those hours every day this week - non cumulative! It doesn’t sound like a lot, but I usually only do it two out of the 8 hours I’m at work...

Social Feat: It’s my first week back at work, so I’m going to OPEN a conversation asking someone how their break was — someone I don’t usually talk to! The kitchen is a great place for this. Stretch goal — our office is divided into two sections. If the opportunity arises, I will actually get off my bum (serving the Distance Feat as well) and walk over to the other side to speak to someone there, even if it’s a simple question I could have emailed or sent a Google Chat for an answer.

So apparently this week at work was much busier than anticipated! Friday I did not leave my seat for a five hour stretch... This was maybe not the challenge to set myself, so obviously I did not get this one done. My best day was only 4 out of 5 for the day, so I think perhaps a better goal would have been overall steps during work hours or something to that effect. It’s still on my mind, though, and I won’t give it up.

I did well on the social feat though! I had a couple of lovely kitchen chats, longer than I usually would, and one on my lunch break where I usually spend the time reading. I did not get over to the other side, but the opportunity did not arise. I’ll keep this in mind in future, as being more social and open - even at work - is in the spirit of one of my challenge goals anyhow :) 

It’s now the weekend and I am always more active on the weekends! I think my weekend goal will to be maybe to have a chat to one of the farmers at the farmers market we go to on Sunday. I’m keeping the spirit alive!

• Like 2

L1 Ranger

Fitbit | Respawn Challenge: Take 2

On 1/7/2019 at 1:37 PM, Rinna said:

Distance feat:  minimum of 15 miles logged this week.

Social feat:  don’t duck out of the fellowship dinner or bible study, and maybe, just maybe, listen more instead of talking the ear off a stump.

Distance feat - sitting at 19 right now.  Likely to get a few more before it’s all said and done.

Social feat - went to the Wednesday dinner (didn’t want to, but glad I did) and the Thursday bible study.

• Like 1

Level 20 Daywalker

Fitbit

Rinna joins the Fellowship to Rivendell      318.24/458

Spoiler

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up."

-Björn Járnhamar

On 1/8/2019 at 12:47 PM, TimovieMan said:

Distance Feat:

Instead of aiming for 8K+ steps on average each day, I'll aim for 10K+ steps.

I've also scheduled a doctor's appointment on Friday. Even though it's on the way to work, I'll make an extra effort to go on foot instead. That'll be 2 km there and 2 km back.

Social Feat:

Our yearly department lunch (with 150+ people present) is on Friday. I'll make an effort to get to know a couple of colleagues I don't know or don't usually talk to often. If possible, I'll sit at a table that doesn't consist of the closest colleagues.

Distance Feat:

I went to my doctor's appointment on foot (even had to run part of the way there to get there on time). 

Despite that, I'm still a bit short on my 10K/day average, and I'm not entirely sure I'll have enough time today and tomorrow for long walks...

Half completed?

Social Feat:

Sitting at another table was not an option. Some colleagues had reserved a large table for those of our team.

I did get to sit on a further end of that table, with some of the colleagues I didn't know as well, but even there I was torn between two conversations...

Half completed?

• Like 1

My character: Ranger TimovieMan

Active challenges: TimovieMan becomes a Time Lord

Older challenges and threads: TimovieMan on the Road to AwesomeDad™ - Pt. IIIPt. IIPt. I | TimovieMan's Daily Struggles on the Road

Weight loss goal: 35+ kg (80 pounds): 47% completed