• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

I WAS INVERTED: New Year's Day 2019

Women-Doing-Yoga-Wrapped-Christmas-Light

HELLO, DARLINGS! 

Let's get grounded and try on a new perspective to kick off the Gregorian New Year. Use this restart as a way to try some time upside down and consider things from a totally different point of view. Maybe it'll shake something loose for you. ;)

THE TASK

On January 1, spend at least 10 minutes working up to an inversion of your choice. Post a picture if you like. An inversion is any situation where your heart is higher than your head.  Yes, even if you are hungover. :D 

Some options to consider:

72f59ea3d0b12d27d2a75bc70eb06eec.png

735eb8ee077bab30c634356255646ed7.png

0be49d23658d409f204cbd6843dd81fb.png

3371fa5310a9d08460501018b08ab1e5.png

acbe46e3387c30d5139f7fa76ab5513a.png

15511006272011111649.jpg

HANDSTANDS!

Bridges!

Anything your heart desires. 

What do you notice is different now? :)

• Like 5

Neat! 2019 is looking SHINY!

Reporting in

Handstand

20190101-ny-hs.jpg.25f29002718294ce619d758b91b03fab.jpg

Meathook

20190101-ny-meathook.jpg.34f298c12051b958f67005b26e087018.jpg

And this morning attempt at 1 leg high frog with a little forearm pain dance afterwards  :D

• Like 5

So, halfway reporting in. It was only a couple minutes, and it  was New Year's Eve-afternoon, but it was crow practice at the beach, so I figure it counts for something. Will post pic's later

• Like 5

Never tried a proper Crow Pose before. Can't say "nailed it", but at least I found my balance and got my heart above my head!

20190101_214719.thumb.jpg.cd24ad95ecbb6d9f512ce0b115d5e4de.jpg

Also did a headstand against the wall

20190101_214406.thumb.jpg.0b2ead941735ac0a19e3ec9ddc2468be.jpg

Clearly not strong enough to do a straight arm Crow. So need to work on that strength! I've been able to do unsupported headstands before, but today I just couldn't find my balance. A bit more practice and I'll be able to do it again I'm sure :) 

• Like 5

Some hurdlers pose before I figured out my arms didn't like supporting my jeans-clad legs, handstands kicking up against the wall, and a bit of crow with some down dog support from a professional ;)d64a7534bebf96aa0d146a136cfd0a37.jpg580900eda1332c0b3f004e69415553b9.jpg782bc3915a7b9595e9cadc0a3fba983c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Can't say "nailed it", but at least I found my balance

Looks pretty nailed to me :) 

7 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Clearly not strong enough to do a straight arm Crow

I can't do a straight arm crow either.  I personally think that straight arm crows are more an exercise in pain tolerance than strength...

Impressive work guys! I hung upside down on my rings but I forgot to take a picture, sorry!

9 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Never tried a proper Crow Pose before. Can't say "nailed it", but at least I found my balance and got my heart above my head!

20190101_214719.thumb.jpg.cd24ad95ecbb6d9f512ce0b115d5e4de.jpg

Also did a headstand against the wall

20190101_214406.thumb.jpg.0b2ead941735ac0a19e3ec9ddc2468be.jpg

Clearly not strong enough to do a straight arm Crow. So need to work on that strength! I've been able to do unsupported headstands before, but today I just couldn't find my balance. A bit more practice and I'll be able to do it again I'm sure :) 

Looks pretty nailed to me too! :D Impressive you managed to do it on day 1!

For the headstand try moving your hands back a bit, so that you form a solid tripod base between your head and your hands, instead of keeping them in a line. :) 

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

I can't do a straight arm crow either.  I personally think that straight arm crows are more an exercise in pain tolerance than strength...

Excuses. ;) I actually think it is strength. If you think about it it's similar to a tuck planche except that you get knee support. But if you're strong enough you can do a crane where the knees are barely putting pressure on the arms. And if you mean it's your wrists that hurt it's because your wrists are not strong enough. If elbows it's because your shoulders are not strong enough.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

For the headstand try moving your hands back a bit, so that you form a solid tripod base between your head and your hands, instead of keeping them in a line. :) 

Yeah, I know. Was in a bit of a rush to get it done. Didn't want to be upside down when the nurses came in to the room :P  Plus, I wanted to be there for my wife when she needed anything :)  

19 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

it was crow practice at the beach,

BEACH CROW! Lucky you!!

14 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Such a cool photo!  Love it :) 

Same! Cool pic!

Crow also looking nailed to me!

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

If elbows it's because your shoulders are not strong enough.

That's very interesting. I definitely feel those in my forearms, I assumed my forearms need strengthening (the pain also feels like ligament/joint pain or something,  not muscular as such). But now that I think of it, in other moves involving a straight arm lean (e.g. HS to L-sit), I will feel it more in the shoulders and not in the forearms as such. You got a thread running in my head now :P

12 minutes ago, @mu said:

That's very interesting. I definitely feel those in my forearms, I assumed my forearms need strengthening (the pain also feels like ligament/joint pain or something,  not muscular as such). But now that I think of it, in other moves involving a straight arm lean (e.g. HS to L-sit), I will feel it more in the shoulders and not in the forearms as such. You got a thread running in my head now :P

It could be that the forearms are the weak point. But most pain in the elbow/ specifically comes from something being weak or unstable either upstream (shoulders) or downstream (wrists) and the elbow picking up the slack. And it probably gets exacerbated for hyper extended elbows.

4 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Yeah, I know. Was in a bit of a rush to get it done. Didn't want to be upside down when the nurses came in to the room :P  Plus, I wanted to be there for my wife when she needed anything :)  

Haha love that you did it at the hospital! :D 

30 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Haha love that you did it at the hospital! :D

Was planning to do it at home after my workout, but I had to cut the workout short and rush off to the hospital. Labor pains don't wait for no one! When it's happening it's happening...

• Like 1

STRONG WORK, TEAM!

I did some crow and one-legged crows (but my core is a bit shaky these days) outside of a NYD gathering with some of my lifting buddies. It was strangely warm outside, so we took advantage of it and I tried to show them the ropes. They did pretty well! I didn't get any pictures, but it was a good time.

Happy 2019, all! 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Tobbe said:

I've been able to do unsupported headstands before, but today I just couldn't find my balance. A bit more practice and I'll be able to do it again I'm sure :)

11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I knew I could do it!

Funny how I felt like I was going to tip over backwards, while clearly I had a bit more to go before even being straight up!

• Like 4