• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ben Breda

Do any of you guys use weighted clothing? Need tips.

Hoping to learn from others who are experts in weighted clothing. My bodyweight exercises are getting to be a little too easy and I want to make them tougher.

I am looking at different weighted vests and weighted shirts. Are they safe to use? What has your experience been with them?

PS. Hi all, first post here :) excited to join the group!

Hi Ben, welcome to the Rebellion :)  

I have not used weighted clothing much, mostly because I find it throws my balance off.  Instead, I just use different leverage to increase difficulty.  What exercises are you doing that you find too easy, and what is your overall objective for working on them.  With that information I can give you some more specific ideas of things you can try without getting into weighted clothing, if you want to try that route first.

Not really the same context as pure strength training and I haven't verified his sources but at least, he should have done some research on the topic (and gives some basic warnings):

Basically, weighted clothing isn't harmless but may have some use in specific circumstances if used right (specific circumstances being slow strength training exercises).

I'd be interested to read your feedback if/when you have any, this is a question I've asked myself too (not because the exercises were too easy for me but to increase their efficiency - yes, I know, I could just use free weights instead).

I just got a weight vest for Christmas. Mainly I got it for walking, but I do want to do some bodyweight work with it. I did a leg circuit on Friday, and my quads are still sore. Not horrible, but more than I anticipated.  As with anything, start slow, and listen to your body. The thing I like about my vest is that I can take bags out

First off, welcome to the Rebellion.  If you are feeling that bodyweight work is getting too easy, look for calisthenics progressions.  Like @WhiteGhost said, this will change your leverage and increase the difficulty.  But listen to your body and never underestimate the importance of maintaining form.

The core concept behind weighted clothing isn't bad. It adds additional resistance which requires your body to generate more force, similar to the way squatting with a barbell on your back requires your legs and core to generate more force than doing a bodyweight squat. Ruck marching has gained popularity in the last 5 or so years and that's basically walking with weight on your back, not much different than walking with a weighted vest.

The danger, as other have pointed out, is when you just add weighted clothing in which no regard as to how much additional force you're requiring your body to generate. If you've been lifting 45 lbs, you don't suddenly start lifting 200 lbs. (My numbers aren't on point here, but the general point stands.) The other issue is where your body is carrying that load. 35lbs in a properly-fitted ruck sack has an entirely different set of associated static strains than 35lbs directly on your shoulders. One of the more memorable injuries I've ever had came from attempting to shoulder carry at an odd angle. Because everyone else involved was significantly shorter than I am, I ended up bracing the object with my arm rather than letting it just rest on my shoulder. It wasn't a heavy carry, (probably 200-250 lbs between the four of us, which works out to 50-60 lbs per person), it was the way the load was situated on my arm & shoulder. My left shoulder locked up overnight and I wasn't able to move it the next day. (Literally. Fortunately the doctor diagnosed it as overworked muscles and it cleared up with a muscle relaxant and a heating pad.)

What specific bodyweight exercises are you doing? Posting a little detail on that might help us give you a better answer as to whether weighted clothing would be useful for your situation.