Atrytone Stumbles Back on to the Path

Atrytone

About a year and a half ago I started preparing to make the biggest change of my life and moved to Vancouver. A lot happened. Not all of it pretty. In fact some of it really ugly. (Trigger warning in spoiler).

Spoiler

tw: suicidal ideation

I was there for just over a year (469 days to be exact but who's counting?) and in that time I had a gym membership, turned down a job I wanted for a job that would pay the bills, took kick boxing courses, got horribly sick for about a month, stopped taking kick boxing courses, kept going to the gym, started dating someone because I was lonely, stopped going to the gym, started seeing a therapist, took the GRE, stopped seeing my therapist because she got a better job, broke up with my partner because I'm pretty sure I'm aromantic, got an awesome temporary job as a teaching assistant in a University, got kicked out of a research lab, realized that I hated research - which was my primary reason for moving to the city in the first place - decided to move back, spent about 5-6 months horrifically anxious and depressed and thinking about dying every day, and then I FINALLY came home.

The short version is there were some good things (food, diversity) and some bad things (noisy neighbours, too many people, deteriorating mental health) and at the end of the day I'm glad I took the chance; however, I'm much happier to be home even if I am reassessing the entire future I used to have planned for myself.

Anyway I took a huge detour and as my mental health suffered so did my physical health. I'm here trying to get back on track. With that in mind I'm taking this first challenge pretty easy.

1. Be Active
    1. At least 10,000 steps/day
    2. At least one body weight workout/week
  2. Eat Better
    1. Reduce junk 
      1. No chips or store bought goodies
      2. Homemade goods in moderation (W1 - 3/day, W2 - 2/day, W3 - 1/day, W4 - 1/2 days; non-stackable)
      3. Reduce alcohol consumption (no alcohol on work nights, no more than 2 drinks on non-work nights)
    2. No eating after 8 pm
  3. Sleep Better
    1. Implement sleep hygiene 

I have a spreadsheet set up where I'll log my information and obviously I'll post weekly updates here. I'll try to be more active than that for the sake of accountability though.

In addition to my main Challenge goals I'll be engaging in a couple long-spanning side quests as well. I've added these to my signature. For my Walk to Mordor side quest I will use my fitbit to track my approximate daily travel. I've also decided I want to read more. It's an enjoyable hobby that I've let slide in the past few years. I am taking book recommendations to add to my reading list if anyone has any.

• Like 5

You've had it rough. I'm glad you're here now and rebuilding with us.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

5 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hello! Good to see you here. I wish you all the luck for this challenge <3

What kind of books do you like?x

Thanks!

I'm generally a fan of fantasy but I've been known to enjoy books outside that realm on occasion. 

2 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

Hi. I am so glad you are getting back on your feet. 

Thank you. You and me both.

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You've had it rough. I'm glad you're here now and rebuilding with us.

Same! It's too easy to get bogged down. It feels good to be moving in the right direction again.

• Like 3

Straight forward and simple. Especially the side quests, always loved Walk to Mordor but simply cannot fathom that much mileage haha

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

4 hours ago, Miaulin said:

Sorry for the bad times you've had, Atrytone, but congratulations on hanging in there. Cheering for you!

Thanks. Sometimes experience is unpleasant but it helps us become better versions of ourselves if we learn from it. :)

3 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Straight forward and simple. Especially the side quests, always loved Walk to Mordor but simply cannot fathom that much mileage haha

Thank you. Yeah, it's a huge distance all together. Hopefully taking it in stages over the next year will make it a little more manageable.

• Like 2

I really like your goals; this is a very solid challenge.

I've been thinking about a Walk to Mordor myself.  :-)

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

I really like your goals; this is a very solid challenge.

I've been thinking about a Walk to Mordor myself.  :-)

giphy.gif

Thank you! It was a decision I made after procrastination-watching LoTR when I was preparing to move.

• Like 1

Hey! So glad to see you. You’ve been missed. 

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

So Very Current: Self-Care    Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Following a good friend.

Book recommendations:
Dare to Lead by Dr Brené Brown
Useful Belief by Chris Helder
Novice to Expert by Steve Scott
Think Small by Rory Gallagher and Owain Service
Build a Worthy Life by some dude that thinks he's a Ranger.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

8 hours ago, Thom Ulfhedinn said:

Following a good friend.

Book recommendations:
Dare to Lead by Dr Brené Brown
Useful Belief by Chris Helder
Novice to Expert by Steve Scott
Think Small by Rory Gallagher and Owain Service
Build a Worthy Life by some dude that thinks he's a Ranger.

Thank you for following and thank you for the recommendations! :)

Got an email about a job interview. I'm crossing my fingers but I'm also crazy anxious about it. 

I've prepared a list of questions to determine if I actually want the job. After my last one, which I hated, I'm a little nervous about searching for employment again.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Atrytone said:

crazy anxious

I hope that you find peace and clarity.  :-)

• Thanks 1

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

KBO. - Churchill

19 hours ago, Atrytone said:

I've prepared a list of questions to determine if I actually want the job.

That is such a good idea. I hope it goes well.

• Thanks 1

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20

My Fitness Pal - inactive

12 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I hope that you find peace and clarity.  :-)

Thank you. I usually struggle with both of those things. 

58 minutes ago, Echoceanic said:

That is such a good idea. I hope it goes well.

Yeah. I'm pretty lucky to be in a position right now where I can be a little more selective. Since I jumped into my last job, because it was the practical choice, even though I knew I'd hate it I'd like to take my time and find something I'll actually enjoy.

• Like 1

Zero week was definitely a zero week. Aside from reducing junk I failed to meet my other goals.

I'm going to be trying harder now that the challenge is on properly but I've been under a fair bit of stress this past week (especially the past couple days) so I'm trying to focus on being patient and compassionate with myself. 

• Like 2
On 1/3/2019 at 2:17 PM, Atrytone said:

I've prepared a list of questions to determine if I actually want the job.

my job is a little different from yours because I freelance, but I actually have a checklist like this for when I'm interviewing for projects. I got caught flat-footed to many times and had to find a way to separate out the red-flag projects or stuff I just wasnt' experienced enough to do, instead of just saying "yes" to whatever came across the doorstep.

• Like 2

the year of living trippily

So Very Current: Self-Care    Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Zero week was definitely a zero week. Aside from reducing junk I failed to meet my other goals.

I'm going to be trying harder now that the challenge is on properly but I've been under a fair bit of stress this past week (especially the past couple days) so I'm trying to focus on being patient and compassionate with myself. 
Sometimes that is the most important thing. We often get caught up in bring busy and doing stuff that we forget to take time out for ourselves.

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

13 hours ago, Atrytone said:

Good job, i need to be kinder to myself too xx

• Like 1

Stress levels are through the roof. The car I bought on Saturday keeps throwing codes: low tire pressure (even though they're fine), check engine (I was told it has to do with the O2 sensors), and the coolant level (which is where it should be but it looks wrong, like oil is mixed in with it). Both the dealer and the service technician at the automotive center he uses are telling me there are no issues and that I don't need to be concerned. But I am very concerned since these were issues it was supposedly checked for and now they're acting up within three days of owning it? I'm not happy. I've booked it into a GM auto service center to have it looked at by an impartial third party. Fingers crossed that they actually take me seriously.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, Atrytone said:

Stress levels are through the roof. The car I bought on Saturday keeps throwing codes: low tire pressure (even though they're fine), check engine (I was told it has to do with the O2 sensors), and the coolant level (which is where it should be but it looks wrong, like oil is mixed in with it). Both the dealer and the service technician at the automotive center he uses are telling me there are no issues and that I don't need to be concerned. But I am very concerned since these were issues it was supposedly checked for and now they're acting up within three days of owning it? I'm not happy. I've booked it into a GM auto service center to have it looked at by an impartial third party. Fingers crossed that they actually take me seriously.

Ugh, car issues are the worst.  What kind of car is it, if you don't mind my asking?

KBO. - Churchill

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

Ugh, car issues are the worst.  What kind of car is it, if you don't mind my asking?

A 2009 Saturn Astra. My mistake was going through a dealership.