Puzzle time

@mu

Summary for the quick reader:

Tools: body weight, parallettes, aerial silks, ball

Epic quest: complete GMB Parallettes 2 (P2)

Nothing fancy but an international move in progress (happening in March), hence the puzzle title because there will be a lot of problem solving going on in the background. Not really a full-blown theme here, but I needed at least a title!

Goal 1 will focus on keeping my routine, I'll need it. Goal 2 is work-related prep. Goal 3 will be a proper puzzle goal, mostly for fun & play - I like puzzles on my spare time as well :lol:

Goals

(1) Practice

The usual, running my epic push quest + pull activities, and various supporting drills:

P2 3x/week and HS 3x/week (deload: 5 mini workouts)

Stretching (hips, back bends) – 2x/week

Hanging raises – 6x/week

Cirque Physio – 18 drills /week (deload: 12 drills /week)

Legs (traditional leg stuff) – 4 drills /week

Ball flex (ball held on a flexed foot work) – 4 drills /week

Aerial (alignment, conditioning) – 3x/week

This week, I'm finishing P2 Phase 3 Cycle 1, next week (from Sat) will be DELOAD, the proper way to start a NY challenge :D 

P2 is hard these days. There are only 4 phases, but the final phase feels very very far away from my current abilities. Honestly it might take me ages to complete, I don't even dare to think of a timeline.

I started end of last April (OMG 8 months already) and I have a big training log that no longer fits here (here is a YouTube playlist log instead). A good summary so far could be that I came to P2 to get myself a solid bent arm stand, I still don't have it but I made a lot of progress on handstands (you can't pick your shinies, they pick you, it seems).

(2) Work prep

A - Java tech tests: 5x/week

B - Design patterns / project methodology / tech review / whatever work-related skill that fits in 30-60mn: 1x/week

C - Job market review: every week, find out in details about one company in the area where we will be moving (technologies, domain, size, business model, salary scale etc.). I've already started doing that informally but I need to take notes somewhere.

(3) Puzzle

No zombie routine this time but a more puzzle-oriented activity. I want to create a silks flow that uses

• my little home rig

• my parallettes

• my ball

I have to find one move involving each item and put those moves together.

Ball constraints: holding it is not enough, I have to work out a move with either a throw or a roll (bonus point for both). That's pretty hard to do while in the air and training it is also painful (unless I can find a minion to give me the ball each time it falls...) so for this exercise, it does not need to be a mind blowing throw/roll, a little bit of it will do. On the other hand, I don't need to have the ball with me during the whole flow. It's up to me if I want to grab it from somewhere and put it back, or pinch it in the silks etc..

Each week I will have one session on this puzzle.

Have a good challenge every one!

• Like 3

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

So so so this morning I did hanging raises, Cirque Physio, ball work and P2 HAMS. It felt good compared to the previous weeks - except HS lowers where I'm still struggling with finding the right pathway while bending, and of course I still don't lower much. In HS to crow to firefly, I also tend to go to a flat frog position instead of a proper crow, catching the knees is still … complicated.

After that was HS 5+s consistency 16/25

I still have this hardness in my left palm that is a little bit annoying and my lower abs are still sore, but it's manageable.

I was due for a video reference on that workout so here it is. In some places, I cut bits between reps to reduce duration but I kept each sample set as it was, with failed attempts / almost there moments.

Spoiler

I really enjoy this workout, it's my preferred one :)

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

5 hours ago, @mu said:

I have to work out a move with either a throw or a roll

What about a bounce?  The best way to control a ball from the air in single player mode is to bounce it off of something so that it comes back to you.  In this way you could even incorporate multiple actions into a single sequence.

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

10 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

What about a bounce?  The best way to control a ball from the air in single player mode is to bounce it off of something so that it comes back to you.  In this way you could even incorporate multiple actions into a single sequence.

Bouncing is a good idea, although I don't have a lot of area to bounce it off safely :D Off the floor, the neighbours are going to hate me :huh:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along this challenge.

Welcome and thanks for popping in!

Today is REST day.

Yesterday I reviewed one interesting company that uses Java tech and works with AI technology. It's human size and they have their own product developed over the past decade. 15mn by bike from the city centre (I'm traumatised by long commutes). Salary scale looks ok. Market review file created and starting to get filled!

Oh Ubisoft (Assassin's Creed) also has an office there but I'm not a game developer meh! and the other IT positions don't look very interesting (so far at least).

Weird moment yesterday: I was looking up a singer I started listening to 4-5 years ago, wondering what he was up to and I couldn't find anything until I saw a RIP message under one of his social accounts. I checked his Wikipedia page and he killed himself 2 years ago :o I had no idea (it came in the news but I didn't see it at the time). His lyrics were pretty dark but I wasn't expecting that outcome. He was a precursor of rock / electronic / alt music here (a sample of his music if you're curious). He was from Mashhad. The interesting bit about Mashhad is that it's both one of the “holy” cities of Iran and the birth nest of many rock and alternative bands. Like, 15 years ago, there were a lot of concerts going on. These past years, a fundamentalist branch has taken over the religious administration there (which is very powerful) and that bit has gone down a lot. They still dance their ass off when the opportunity comes (video from the last elections – note that Rayisi, who lost to Rouhani, the current president, is a Mashhad local power, and a very powerful one at that).

• Like 3

Oh and I got a call for new theatre work but I had to refuse because we are leaving obviously. Withdrawal from my usual activities has started, it makes me a bit sad, even if some exciting stuff is also coming ahead.

Good to see you're still here @mu and keeping the circus game strong :D

Where is the future end of this international move?

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

On 12/31/2018 at 12:13 PM, Arkania said:

Following and excited for more videos :)

13 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Good to see you're still here @mu and keeping the circus game strong :D

Hello guys and thanks for popping in!

Yes, still getting owned by gravity :D

13 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Where is the future end of this international move?

We will be moving to southern France (Montpellier) :)

This morning hanging raises, Cirque Physio and P2 elbows madness...

Warmup: low frogs / pushups

High frog to double elbow lever spin

=> My left palm is still bruised, I took it easy on rotations on the left.

=> Right hand side is getting better, at least in the middle I'm starting to be able to move my hand without feet support. But the lever switch on a single bar is still too hard.

Tuck planche with knee support: pretty bad today 2-3s at most

High frog attempts at leg extension: sub-second but it's shaping up on the left, got one full second there :D which is a bit weird (bruise on left + weaker side anyway). It was pretty hard on the forearm/elbow though.

I think that one qualifies for the Holiday Mini (I was inverted) unless I manage to pull off some HS later on, not sure yet.

Lever switches: ha ha so hard, palm bruise also did not like that those. I'm still keeping at 4x5 reps (1 set on single bar) for now because wrists and palms are still having a pretty hard time. And the single bar ones are KILLERS!

Pike PU: aka death for reps, still losing it in the back but arm shape is looking better

PU on single bar: ok, still not to belly button but hey

Stretches

I was due a reference video on that workout as well so here it is, and I'm done with ref videos for this cycle.

Spoiler

I will have some silks later on as well.

And of course Happy New Year!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, @mu said:

We will be moving to southern France (Montpellier)

I was thinking that I have a friend who owns a high tech company near there, but I just checked and he is in Marseille, which would be a bit of a commute...   

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 1/1/2019 at 3:14 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I was thinking that I have a friend who owns a high tech company near there, but I just checked and he is in Marseille, which would be a bit of a commute...   

Yes it's like 2 hours away. Marseille is also fairly polluted depending on where the wind comes from (heavy industry in the area).

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Here!

Yo! :D

Yesterday I did aerial alignment and conditioning (meathooks) + a little bit of HS for the Mini challenge. Followed by Cirque Physio peanut work.

Today I did more Cirque Physio, hanging raises, ball drills and my usual back-bending session. Not exactly a bendy day, a bit half-assed to be honest, but done.

I also went through 3 Java tests and I looked into a tool used by the company I researched. Not deeply enough to justify a full point on tech-prep though. I will do some more over the week-end.

/* Challenge Log */

P2:               2/3
HS:               1/3 
[deload]           _ 

Stretching:       2/2 
Hanging-raises:   4/6 
Cirque-Physio:  14/18
Legs:             2/4 
Ball-flex:        3/4 
Aerial:           1/3 

Java-tests:       3/5
Work-prep:      0.5/1
Market-review:    1/1

Aerial-puzzle:    0/1

• Like 2

hey! saw your posts in MadHatter's thread and did a little bit of stalking/admiring of your videos, really fun to see the progress :)

I'm going to do some work from P1, so will follow along to dream of being able to do P2 at some point. 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

hey! saw your posts in MadHatter's thread and did a little bit of stalking/admiring of your videos, really fun to see the progress :)

I'm going to do some work from P1, so will follow along to dream of being able to do P2 at some point. 

Hiya! Thanks and welcome! I started parallettes with P1 and I really enjoyed it - oddly (I had never really been the pushup type!).

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

a little bit of stalking

You definitely ARE an an assassin :D

• Like 2

Heeeere for it. :)

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

11 hours ago, raptron said:

Heeeere for it. :)

Hiyaaa!

I can't remember if I mention it, but the cat is now fully sorted for travel. Her microchip is working and showing the right number, she has a European certificate showing her rabies vaccine is working. We will have to get a sanitary certificate from the ministry of agriculture about 10 days before departure + a French form to be filled in by our vet. We got her a proper transport cage and we are having it in the living room so that she gets used to it, knows it's her space and it's safe (and let the smell of new disappear). She seems to like it, I caught her having a nap in it a few times :)

I also started going through clothes and stuff. One box is already on its way to France. We will sell heavy items except my aerial rig. Although I'm still unsure, I might sell it and buy another one because transport will not be cheap. But I couldn't find the same model again (at least in Europe, I would have to import it from the US and that's pretty expensive too... plus they now sell a new model and it's basically twice the price I paid...). @Mad Hatter where did you get your home rig from?

My husband (let's call him E. because I'm not such a fan of designating people by their contractual function :D) has a bit of a harder time going through his own stuff, not surprisingly (it's his first move outside the country, he's got a LOT of stuff).

Otherwise, this morning: hanging raises and P2 with lots of HS.

Straddle hold /OK

1-leg crow rotations LR /OKayish

Elbow lever to straddle hold: I'm really having a bum bottleneck here

HS to crow to firefly: finally landed 1 crow on my knees and held there properly before moving to firefly. I really need to lean forward and the face plant feels soooo close, I think that's the main issue at the moment = da brain.

HS to V-sit to seiza: bummed all my sets! barely got 2 full reps. Again it's a fear thing because I have to remove my safety cushion to have space for my feet and my brain is still not happy with that. I can land safely without the cushion... I have done it many times, included today but still.... Some days are completely fine, some days the little head spiders come in... I ended up putting a mini cushion, got sort of 2 reps. A bit of a waste of energy today really.

HS lowers: cushion was back so it was ok, the usual, working on balance

HS 5+s consistency:16/25 not my best but fairly consistent across sets: 3/5 3/5 3/5 3/5 4/5

Which brings my consistency score for this cycle to (17+15+21+17+16+16) over 150 = 68% (+8%)

Still coming up!

Yo that was my last P2 workout for this cycle, and deload starts on Saturday. Good because I'm a bit tired (which might add to the fear, brain might not be completely stupid on that one to be honest).

I will have some legzzz ans silks later in the day (it's the week-end here).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, @mu said:

I can't remember if I mention it

Yep, you mentioned that there may have been a mix-up that could scuttle the whole thing.  Glad that everything turned out OK.

Level 2 Ninja

Aw, yay, glad your little terror acrobat kitten is ready to travel with you guys. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

22 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yep, you mentioned that there may have been a mix-up that could scuttle the whole thing.  Glad that everything turned out OK.

Exactly, you're on top of the developing story :D

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I've got the x-pole A frame, with the extended top bar. I got it straight from their UK site which I have good experiences with. Don't know how it compares price wise, but I love it and it's holding up really nicely so far! :) 

Thanks for the ref! I like the adjustable height, and it would be nice to have a straight bar somewhere instead of arched poles, aaah. But it looks like shipping would still be worth it.

16 hours ago, raptron said:

Aw, yay, glad your little terror acrobat kitten is ready to travel with you guys. :)

:D the kitten has grown quite a bit. The vet said she was even getting a bit fat, I said no no it's all muscles, look and I showed him videos. He laughed and said she's still getting a bit fat.

That does not prevent her from practicing back flips however (she's stalking your thread) :D

And for new comers, this is one of her epic moments:

She is also famous for her full toe-to-toe stretch:

shideh-stretch.jpg.1dfd2f51a0896106842ca0381a0fcc72.jpg

Ok enough cat spam :D

11 hours ago, KB Girl said:

The little head spiders, oh yeah. It's a nice thing to notice about your program though, that the deload seems well timed. I love the training after a deload :)  

How long is it? a week? 

Yes I have 3 weeks on and 1 week high frequency but light intensity and no scoring/tracking. For instance, I have 5 P2 workout instead of 3 but they are lighter, and I do pretty much what I want as long as I'm not overloading myself (I find that bit not always easy to assess with body weight stuff!).

Why 3/1? Jan-Feb last year, I started getting regular niggles (neck/traps/rhomboid knot). Part of it was due to form/alignment but part of it was also lack of recovery I think. I started re-organising my training spreadsheet to get some stats and I saw that every 3 weeks or so, I was definitely training a bit less (despite myself). Mad Hatter at the time pointed out it might follow my cycle (indeed I'm on the pill, it's very regular). So I just followed that, on purpose. 

I also adapted P2 for it. P2 phases are usually 4 weeks (sometimes 5) followed by a 1-week deload protocol. I did the prep phase in 4 weeks to see how that would feel and it was too long for me. So I cut phases into phase cycles, and I iterate on those.  It seems to work so far.

• Like 4

We had a bit of snow yesterday! It didn't stick though.

Practice: legs, hanging raises, ball drills, Cirque Physio, aerial sessions x2 (alignment / conditioning – on the lighter side because shoulders were grumpy), all done. And HS endurance. I'm tired and it showed, possibly too much coffee again as well (little shakes). I went back to counting bananas because I was getting over-focused on my breath, at least today it worked better that way.

Got a best at ~36s (vid here) and stopped there because my left arm started bending. So be it, no 40s+ in this cycle! I also didn't do any HS + leg movement that I do sometimes because I needed some strength left for the puzzle goal.

Endurance range for this cycle: 36-38s (previous cycle: 28s-41s)

Aerial puzzle: I worked with parallettes, trying to find either an entrance to silks or an exit from silks, mostly from HS or bent arm stand with legs wrapped in split silks. But it was a bit difficult and a total strength sucker on top of it. I was too tired to try more than a couple of things and the whole session looked mostly like this:

puzzle-01.jpg.f0f0dee6ca682bcd4c511aa48a4e482e.jpg

And now I need to get on with some studying, oops!

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, @mu said:

And for new comers, this is one of her epic moments

An Assassin Apprentice :D 

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja